• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't anyone make a good Tornado Disaster movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slash

Banned
Twister my good man is the pinnacle of tornado movies. I always watch it at least twice a year on blu-ray.

bengraven

There was supposed to be a sequel set in NY.

Also, true story, I lived in the tornado belt and after leaving the theater we learned on the walk to our cars that there were tornado warnings in the area. The winds were heavy, flags snapping violently in the wind, paper blowing everywhere. Everyone who had just watched the movie gave each other a little half-serious chuckle and we got in our cars with a look that said "um, good luck...heh..".

Read as "Tomato Disaster". What a let down of a thread.
They have movies for that to. I've never seen it though.
A70-10667

"He's in it for the money, not the science!"

I think to be fair, there is a divide in the storm chasing community where scientists and researchers are fighting with negative publicity from storm chasers who do tour groups, stream it online or to sell videos to news stations.

That doesn't really mesh with the character in that movie, but it exists.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
A "good" tornado movie would not even be about the tornado(es). The disaster would either have to be at the start of the movie and the film ends up being about people struggling to recover, or it happens near the end of the movie and serves as a metaphor for the way character's lives had already been torn apart by interpersonal or social issues. Either way there would just be the one quick tornado event. Twister is the best you're going to get if you want a fun disaster movie.

Javaman

Why the hell did the dad try to hold the shelter door open in the beginning of twister. The tornado can't suck someone out if they aren't by the door.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Not enough love for Sharknado.
sharkslice2-david-hasselhoff-joins-sharknado-3.gif
Holy shit. That's up there with that movie clip where some guy takes a bazooka and shoots a dude on a skateboard who's holding a blowup doll... and then pulls out a second bazooka and shoots the blowup doll for good measure.

Pandy

Holy shit. That's up there with that movie clip where some guy takes a bazooka and shoots a dude on a skateboard who's holding a blowup doll... and then pulls out a second bazooka and shoots the blowup doll for good measure.
Don't you dare disrespect Hard Ticket to Hawaii by comparing it with that rubbish.

For the uninitiated:

EDIT: On topic, I think Twister will be king for a long time to come.

That is why it should be about the preparation for it. We have to get that 18 wheeler full of gasoline sitting beside the high school full of kids locked down. Also lets get the kids out. Meanwhile it is windy and raining and starting to flood a bit.

Tornadoes and hurricanes are too vastly different beasts. One lasts for weeks, one doesn't last an hour at worst.

You could probably make a great movie about a giant night tornado.

Because night tornadoes are fucking terrifying.

Yeah, and it can be done sorta like Cloverfield where you never really see the tornado until the very end of the movie. You only see the destruction it has caused and the lives it has ruined.

cajunator

Banned
Twister is an absolute classic. Its definitely unrealistic in many ways, but the idea behind putting data sensors into a tornado to develop a better warning system is very sound science at this point and there have been multiple successful tornado intercepts with just such a mission. Not little magical sensor balls but close.
Still one of my all time favorite movies. Above almost anything else.

Firebrand

Twister is already the pinnacle of Tornado movies.

There is no point making any more

Also Phillip Seymor Hoffman's best performance

twister-435x580.jpg
"F....food!"

Twister will always have a place in my heart. It was the first movie I saw at an actually decent theatre with THX, and it impressed the hell out of me.

I laughed so hard at the fire tornado death scene in Into the Storm. "No I have to get my camera guys"
Twister was significantly better.

InfernoNR

I loved twister as a kind, watched it over and over again. Haven't watched it in a while, but I'm sure I'd still enjoy it. Also, RIP PSH

Retro

Twister is the best Tornado movie we're going to get, to the point where I'm pretty confident nothing but a remake is going to top it.

Tornadoes don't stick around long enough to fill a whole movie (average life is 15 mins, average forward speed is 30mph), so you either need to exaggerate their duration to the point of absurdity or have multiple tornadoes. And nobody is going to get hit by multiple tornadoes except storm chasers or people unlucky to the point of comedy.

Even then, like a Godzilla movie, it can't just be non-stop disaster; you're going to have to cut away to "human stuff" occasionally, and while you can get better actors for sure there's still going to be a lot of character drama. The characters you do get are going to fall into pretty narrow roles too; expert (scientist / journalist), thrill-seeker, bystander, and various combinations (all of which are in Twister, you'll note).

And as silly as the idea of getting in front of a tornado and dropping an instrument pack is, it's actually a real thing; for several years in the 70s and 80s, NOAA funded a project to drop instrument packs (called "TOTO") in the path of oncoming storms. Even grounded in reality the plot of Twister still feels far flung; anything more is going to feel like pure fantasy. Twister even has plenty of absurdly silly bits like describing the storms as self-aware ("The storm is thinking! It's coming to get them!").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom