• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 ODST codes are currently being sent out

I haven't had a chance to jump into this yet. Any visual differences?

I know the early screens were looking way too bright, so I'm hopeful it's as dark and as moody as the original.

Stupidly pathetic or ridiculously smart?
Pointless easter egg or potential lawsuit?
You decide.

Exactly. It's such a non issue that what possible ramifications could possible result from having it in there? I just think it's a shame to lose a little of the history and context to the game is all. It's not world ending by not having it in their but then equally it isn't by leaving it in, it's trivial. Again, as I have said, totally understand why it's gone.

Yes, but I am saying it does not hold 60fps, or at least it does not feel like it.
Again, while I like my games being 60hz, this is not a deal breaker to me.

My opinion is formed by playing the game, not reading a web page.

Oh ffs, go buy yourself a PC and install FRAPS this is getting fucking stupid with all the moaning over FPS on a console!!

maximrace

Man i forgot how great this was. The atmosphere is incredible... The dark city at night, the jazzy music, the covenant patrols you try to evade

malfcn

Pinning this is pointless, or do you have to launch it from MCC?
And how much is it going to cost without the code?

Got my code at 4am, I believe.

npa189

They basic have to do Reach now right? you can't just go 90% of the way. It needs firefight and MP too, I think it would make as a great $20 expansion.

ODST is such a breath of fresh air for this universe, the only entry where you can't play as a walking tank, picking and choosing fights, stealth attacks, its just so different and atmospheric.

They basic have to do Reach now right? you can't just go 90% of the way. It needs firefight and MP too, I think it would make as a great $20 expansion.

ODST is such a breath of fresh air for this universe, the only entry where you can't play as a walking tank, picking and choosing fights, stealth attacks, its just so different and atmospheric.

I would hope so. Maybe next year. MCC needs firefight.

Got code. Got excited. Put in MCC. Greeted with 3.2 GB update. :/

What were you expecting?

darthbob

Pinning this is pointless, or do you have to launch it from MCC?
And how much is it going to cost without the code?

Got my code at 4am, I believe.

Pinning it is pretty pointless, as it'll just direct you to the store page and you have to launch it from the MCC. It's $4.99 for non-alpha users.

Going in blind on legendary difficulty, my ex-boyfriend had a copy of it back back in the day, but never got round to playing it. Just finished the 6th mission out of 11 and I'm having a fair bit of fun with it. Love how the hub area ties all of the "flashback" levels together in a very cohesive way.

Something odd I noticed which may be story related though:

This "Superintendent" AI feels like it's guiding me, and only me around the place, trying to coax me into moving about the city to find these clues. Either this city's AI wants me to find it, or somebody or something is using it to navigate me towards them. That old squeeze of Buck's seems mighty suspicious too. Navigating the pods away from the intended target at the start of the mission, not commenting about the situation between the brutes and elites on the field, saying it's "classified" when Buck asks her, and mysteriously dissapearing from her crash site and going radio silent, I doubt that crushed helmet means she's dead, probably lost it to that creature in the cutscene while getting away. I reckon she's after something else that she's not letting on to.

So in conclusion...

My money is on stored forerunner tech or the city AI being Dare's main goal here.

Started on Legendary, as usual. What a great game; enjoying it more this time around. Fillion is awesome, and the music is so perfect.

16BitNova

Pinning it is pretty pointless, as it'll just direct you to the store page and you have to launch it from the MCC. It's $4.99 for non-alpha users.

EOBJAyk.gif

zethren

Banned
No. It goes through cert, if we say a release date during that process and it fails for some reason, then everyone gets mad. But this is gaf so everyone gets mad all the time about amiibos or Kojima or neighbors using their grill etc anyway. And this is not an ordinary release, like a retail game, so there are added layers of complexity. A CU, an entire game, a free map and a digital version of the dlc.

Anyway, I hope people are enjoying it.

Frankie, ODST is my favorite Halo and has a ton of nostalgic and sentimental value to me. I'm so stoked to be playing it again.

jesu

Oh really? Would you care to provide some sources for that?

I'm sure the 343's legal advisers know a hell of a lot more about the situation than we do.

I can provide multiple examples of games from one publisher that contain references to games from another publisher.
Will that do?

Are you saying Activision would have caused legal problems for MS if they left it in?

Completed it, been quite a few years since I last played the story.

Music was as good as ever, the game held 60 most of the time and the cut scenes all played smoothly at the new frame rate, real nice.

I'm happy that ODST was ported over for the collection, I had way more fun sitting through it today then replaying halo 1 and 2 all over again, while good games there is something unique feeling with ODST, a game which was not tied to the limitations of master chief.

Just finished it now, took about 5 hours on Legendary blind, not too shabby overall. Got to say I like it a ton more than Halo 2, in both narritive, and level design, although much like all Halo games it fell into the usual trap of repetitive level design, most noticable examples being the
NMPD HQ
and
Data Hive.

Kind of surprised how close my above speculation was for the ending though. Got to say that the
Engineers
are cute as fuck when they don't have covenant bomb gear strapped to them. I want a plush of one!

I have a free code if anyone would like. I was stupid and bought mine because I hadn't received a code until later in the day.

First person to PM gets it.

EDIT: Gone

I forgot how big a factor Bungie's attention to detail was in really making this special. There's some kind of weapon cache or story nugget in every corner of the map.

Du2andal

Banned
Haha, the cutscene animations are so over the top and exaggerated.

In the commentary they put up on Halo Channel, Joe Staten says that all of the cinematic animations were done by one guy and it was his first major project. It is definitely different from the other games but I really like it.

ShamePain

Banned
In the commentary they put up on Halo Channel, Joe Staten says that all of the cinematic animations were done by one guy and it was his first major project. It is definitely different from the other games but I really like it.

Also Bungie didn't use mocap until Reach afaik.

Garnox

My XBOX currency expires tomorrow, was hoping to use it on this but doesn't look like it will be available to those who weren't getting it gratis until after June 1st?

Is there a way to transfer my currency to keep it...active? There's just nothing else on the Market Place I want and it's just the right amount to get ODST.

Going in blind on legendary difficulty, my ex-boyfriend had a copy of it back back in the day, but never got round to playing it. Just finished the 6th mission out of 11 and I'm having a fair bit of fun with it. Love how the hub area ties all of the "flashback" levels together in a very cohesive way.

Something odd I noticed which may be story related though:

This "Superintendent" AI feels like it's guiding me, and only me around the place, trying to coax me into moving about the city to find these clues. Either this city's AI wants me to find it, or somebody or something is using it to navigate me towards them. That old squeeze of Buck's seems mighty suspicious too. Navigating the pods away from the intended target at the start of the mission, not commenting about the situation between the brutes and elites on the field, saying it's "classified" when Buck asks her, and mysteriously dissapearing from her crash site and going radio silent, I doubt that crushed helmet means she's dead, probably lost it to that creature in the cutscene while getting away. I reckon she's after something else that she's not letting on to.

So in conclusion...

My money is on stored forerunner tech or the city AI being Dare's main goal here.

It's fun seeing someone work through ODST for the first time. I absolutely loved working through that game. It isn't my favorite Halo game, but the mystery/alone/dark streets setting is so engrossing.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Downloaded this. Just getting started with Wild Hunt so won't play this just yet. But I can't wait to dig back into it.

How's the IQ?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does this support coop splitscreen campaign? And is the split screen campaign in MCC generally in better shape than it was at launch, or has most of the focus been around online?

So how is it?

I'm not going to lie, I'm tempted to pick up the MCC just for this...but only if this performs flawlessly. I'm not particularly interested in playing the rest of the MCC any more, so this would be the only reason I'd buy it.

I guess I qualified for the free copy. I didn't even know they were releasing ODST so I'm chuffed. I have been enjoying MCC since I bought it day one but that's because I only play campaign so I never hit any issues.

Thanks 343i you can at least count me as a happy grateful customer.

Leyasu

Banned
So how is it?

I'm not going to lie, I'm tempted to pick up the MCC just for this...but only if this performs flawlessly. I'm not particularly interested in playing the rest of the MCC any more, so this would be the only reason I'd buy it.

I wouldn't waste my money on this just for odst in all honesty. And if you do decide to play online, it is just the same laggy/latency filled mess that it has been since launch. We were had!!

I wouldn't waste my money on this just for odst in all honesty. And if you do decide to play online, it is just the same laggy/latency filled mess that it has been since launch. We were had!!

Do you even own halo MCC? Think the issue is more with your connection if your struggling

Top Bottom