• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Well, okay, cool, as long as you "feel" like you're doing something, even though you're already mashing and not really making decisions. Keep the illusion strong.

Also...I really don't know what to say if holding a button is tiring. Takes a lot less effort than mashing does.

Actually I was going to italize "feel" like in my posts before :p Are you talking about holding it during the whole battle? I obviously only press when the ATB bars are full, so it doesn't take much effort, no.

I'm now worried they're going to fuck this up :/

How do you make a skinny guy with a surfboard sized broadsword who fights Godzilla sized super weapons "realistic". If anything I would hope they'd go further towards the over the top Advent Children style because at least that reasonably lined up with the ridiculousness of some of the later-game fights.

time to give Cloud the Guts physique

anaron

Uhh what? Ruby and Emerald weapon were hard, yes, they were also obscure and optional bosses, and they were the only hard bosses of the game. I played all of it without a guide back in 1997 and never struggled with it except for the two Weapons. I also remember reviews such as the one in GameFan, which was ridiculously fanboyish (I still remember the GameFan quote at the back of the disc box, "Quite possibly the greatest game ever made", lol...), admitting that the game was pathetically easy.

having recently replayed it for the millionth time, morrigan's right, the game is easy as fuck.

Sami+

For me turn based combat really, really shines in competitive multiplayer like Pokemon. Competitive Pokemon is one of my favorite games ever, but single player Pokemon kind of bores me.

I guess it's a controversial thing to say but I dunno, single player turn based RPGs to me just feel like playing chess against a computer. I just don't find it them fun anymore, and mostly push through the combat to get to the good stuff I like (story, most of the time).

I want to PLAY Advent Children's fights.

Go_Ly_Dow

rUlBNUk.png

Our Lord Nomura, who art in Japan,
Hallowed be FF7 Remake.
Thy release come.
Thy game be done
On PS4, as it is on PS1.
Give us this day our action combat systems,
And forgive us for our turn based,
As we forgive those who turn based against us.
Lead us not into random battles,
But deliver us a visible enemies.
For thine is 2015,
The era of real-time battles,
For ever and ever.
With character switching.

tumblr_lqo9vtc6qV1qersozo1_500.gif

Two Words

Those of you talking about real time combat with full control of multiple characters are dreaming. Plus, think how much extra work will have to be put into completely changing each enemy and boss. It's going to be an updated ATB game.

rUlBNUk.png

Our Nomura, who art in Japan,
Hallowed be FF7 Remake.
Thy release come.
Thy game be done
On PS4, as it is on PS1.
For thine is 2015,
For ever and ever.

giphy.gif

Skilletor

Actually I was going to italize "feel" like in my posts before :p Are you talking about holding it during the whole battle? I obviously only press when the ATB bars are full, so it doesn't take much effort, no.

I dunno, man, I don't know what people do who say they're mashing in a turn-based game. :p

Those of you talking about real time combat with full control of multiple characters are dreaming. Plus, think how much extra work will have to be put into completely changing each enemy and boss. It's going to be an updated ATB game.
its not like its not possible, but it is a lot of work to have a deep action combat with 9 playable characters, some of which are a 4 legged beast and a stuffed animal. All characters have to be playable too or FF7's story cant be told (without being fucking ruined completely) or they would have to make at least 3 playable
cloud, tifa, and cid
which would just feel hamfisted. Or they would have to greatly simplify the combat animations like type 0 or a tales game

I find action RPG highly unlikely, and thank god for that

If it uses FFXIII's battle system, how many people would be on suicide watch? LOL Kitase is credited in the trailer right?

Godcannon

I'd honestly prefer that anyways. I was more excited for VS when I thought it was action based, with the ability to switch party members. I would not be cool with action based if all you could do is control Cloud, its jus not how FF is suposed to be. I think they are going to have to have to hold back on a few things to stay true to the OG, and that's a good thing IMO. They always try to over do it and it always ends up hurting the rest of the game's fundamentals.

I know it'll be updated ATB 2.0, but I still want to see the angry posts about Nomura and SE if it isn't.

The real issue I'd have with action RPG is losing control of the other 8 characters that aren't Cloud.

Sami+

sorry I'm going back and forth on convos here but I'm catching up on the thread and can't resist this

Most people do seem to adore Zack, but the script+localization of Crisis Core did him few favors for me based on the ancient half-truth memories of that game I still possess. CC has kind of a "lite" version of one of FFXIII's biggest issues (and certainly the laughingstock of Dissidia): its script is built on a kind of "keyword search" parameter.

"Hero"
"Heroes"
"Angels"
"Monsters"
"Courage"

So on, so forth. The critical path has a few particular words that just... shape entire passages. FFVII itself doesn't really do this; it's diverse and it tackles a whole bunch of things. Sure, important words like "Sephiroth" are going to pop up five hundred times, but characters don't look one-another in the eye and go, "being a hero is about the courage to overcome our inner monsters." "Are we monsters? I think we're angels...!"

Disclaimer: Yeah, I totally haven't played Crisis Core since launch. I fully admit I'm in pisspoor shape to provide examples, and so I totally made up that exchange. But from what I recall of Compilation, that's how a lot of dialogue went in those games, whereas VII wasn't like that and most Square games from VII's era weren't like that either. Not really.

I do remember Zack being less of an offender than some of his supporting cast, though, and I think Aerith and Yuffie were written pretty sharply actually.

tumblr_nqdknxNHMU1r2umvdo1_500.png

tumblr_nqdknxNHMU1r2umvdo2_500.png

shakespearean

untitled1o2yc04kjnd.gif

Plus, think how much extra work will have to be put into completely changing each enemy and boss.

They will already do this just by rebuilding the game from the ground up. Are you seriously expecting the exact same bosses with the same statistics and attacks ? You are the one dreaming, my friend.

Totally agree with this.

Same here. I'll be so disappointed if we only control Cloud.

I'd honestly prefer that anyways. I was more excited for VS when I thought it was action based, with the ability to switch party members. I would not be cool with action based if all you could do is control Cloud, its jus not how FF is suposed to be. I think they are going to have to have to hold back on a few things to stay true to the OG, and that's a good thing IMO. They always try to over do it and it always ends up hurting the rest of the game's fundamentals.

Agreed 100% with this.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
rUlBNUk.png

Hallowed be FF7 Remake.
Thy release come.
Thy game be done
On PS4, as it is on PS1.
For thine is 2015,
For ever and ever.

You're my favorite.

Zukuu

Banned
Are you really trying to say FF7 isn't piss easy, and doing so by including two of the optional endgame bosses? lol
Compared to FF 13? Yes. Including its optional "bosses".

Every FF game I have played was uber easy - even the first time around. With the exception of FF 7 and 12, which had at least optional bosses that needed some strategy to figure out. The latter was mostly just time consuming tho. First time playing through FF 7 was sometimes challenging. Can't be said for FF 13 or other FFs for the most part. It's definitely not "piss easy" to say the least, in particular compared to 13.

rUlBNUk.png

Hallowed be FF7 Remake.
Thy release come.
Thy game be done
On PS4, as it is on PS1.
For thine is 2015,
For ever and ever.

yes

Skilletor

Every FF game I have played was uber easy - even the first time around. With the exception of FF 7 and 12, which had at least optional bosses that needed some strategy to figure out. The latter was mostly just time consuming tho. First time playing through FF 7 was sometimes challenging. Can't be said for FF 13 or other FFs for the most part. It's definitely not "piss easy" to say the least, in particular compared to 13.

Disagree.

I also don't really care if something super easy is sligthly less easy than another super easy game.

Two Words

They will already do this just by rebuilding the game from the ground up. Are you seriously expecting the exact same bosses with the same statistics and attacks ? You are the one dreaming, my friend.
What do you think is more work? Changing how enemies and bosses work in a new ATB system or completely rethinking how every boss and enemy works in an action RPG? I think you're forgetting just how many enemies were in this game.

What do you think is more work? Changing how enemies and bosses work in a new ATB system or completely rethinking how every boss and enemy works in an action RPG? I think you're forgetting just how many enemies were in this game.

I think it's the same amount of work honestly.

Either way the system will be all new.

rUlBNUk.png

Hallowed be FF7 Remake.
Thy release come.
Thy game be done
On PS4, as it is on PS1.
For thine is 2015,
For ever and ever.

Amazing.

rUlBNUk.png

Hallowed be FF7 Remake.
Thy release come.
Thy game be done
On PS4, as it is on PS1.

For thine is 2015,
For ever and ever.

Praise be to Jenova.

Prerendered backgrounds would just mean more work put into the backgrounds themselves and isn't really ideal for something that's not extremely constrained like the remake is.

Blobbers

Do you think Yuffie'll still do her spastic arm movements like in the original game and CC? Can't remember if she did anything weird like that in Kingdom hearts but I feel like it's one of those minor silly things that could carry over well into the remake.

Isayas

Banned
I never understood the criticism for pressing O to win in FFVII. It's not an action-game, like why are you guys knocking because it's turn-based? Like you should get on all JRPG's then that are turn-based. Even the strategy games as well. I really hate that veterans talk all of this smack on the FF battle systems like that. They are speaking from a post-casual position. I can say any game is easy. HURR DERR SEE????

I never understood the criticism for pressing O to win in FFVII. It's not an action-game, like why are you guys knocking because it's turn-based? Like you should get on all JRPG's then that are turn-based. Even the strategy games as well. I really hate that veterans talk all of this smack on the FF battle systems like that. They are speaking from a post-casual position. I can say any game is easy. HURR DERR SEE????

To clarify: when they say "press O to win" the mean "press nothing but O to win, not even the directional button". Basically, they are implying that you just need to choose "Attack" over and over and over. Doesn't really require much strategy in that scenario.

Only just saw the Gematsu article and I am SUPER worried.

I really didn't want to even consider the possibility of skipping an FF7 remake, but I might if it's Kingdom Hearts. At least until someone mods the PC version to be classic ATB if it's possible.

wmlk

Yeah, I really want to see how you guys are mashing X after getting to Pulse.

FFVII was ridiculously easy during battles, especially since you can buff your characters to be however you want them to be with given Materia.

And yes, the dialogue in CC was pretty bad. Worse than FFXIII's dialogue.

Star Ocean.

The new Star Ocean looks to have character switching as well.

That's not FULL party control. That's controlling a character, and then switching over to control another one.

When someone says full party control, I assume they mean simultaneous like in turn-based RPGs. Real-time character switching is not that.

jett

D-Member
rUlBNUk.png

Hallowed be FF7 Remake.
Thy release come.
Thy game be done
On PS4, as it is on PS1.
For thine is 2015,
For ever and ever.

i6RWnmv6zWg9n.gif

That's not FULL party control. That's controlling a character, and then switching over to control another one.

When someone says full party control, I assume they mean simultaneous like in turn-based RPGs. Real-time character switching is not that.

Of course it is.

You have control over your full party at any moment. How is that not full party control?

Unless you want the game to play like Army Corpse of Hell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHUsDF7uJEI

Of course it is.

You have control over your full party at any moment. How is that not full party control?

Unless you want the game to play like Army Corpse of Hell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHUsDF7uJEI

If your party members are acting without your input, then it isn't full party control. No matter how well you can direct the A.I., it's still not total control. Star Ocean, Tales, Kingdom Hearts and all other ARPGs are like this.

Having control over a single character in your party at any time is different than having control over your full party at any/all times.

If your party members are acting without your input, then it isn't full party control. No matter how well you can direct the A.I., it's still not total control. Star Ocean, Tales, Kingdom Hearts and all other ARPGs are like this.

Having control over a single character in your party at any time is different than having control over your full party at any/all times.

You can directly control anyone at any time. Direct control, you switch to the character and start using that one. How is that not full party control?

I'm not talking about KH. KH has only one playable character at a time and any teammates are controlled by AI. Star Ocean you can change at any time, FFType-0 you can change at any time, etc etc.

Seriously? Playing 13 "right" (I.e., getting A ranks and finishing battles in under 6+ minutes) requires a great deal more planning, timing, and on-your-feet thinking than anything in 7 outside of the weapons. And turtle toppling is as hard or harder than handling the weapons prior to over-leveling. 7 does most things better than 13, but providing consistent challenge in battles is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom