• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Omni

I want to get into healing.

Which job is best for that? I got my first job (Bard) to 50 the other day. Haven't reached HW yet but I'd like a slight change of pace even if it means I gotta grind a little more.

Sorian

Banned
I want to get into healing.

Which job is best? I got my first job (Bard) to 50 the other day. Haven't reached HW yet but I'd like a slight change of pace even if it means I gotta grind a little more.

Scholar is the easiest healing because you have a fairy as a crutch to make up for you possibly being bad at it at the beginning. The huge downside though is you need to get arcanist to level 30 to become a scholar and arcanist is another DPS job.

chrono01

Only paladins are able to get their weapon this week if that's what you're confused about. Nobody was able to get extra esoterics the moment servers went up
Thanks. I realized my mistake shortly after I posted, but I appreciate the confirmation, haha.

I really should avoid early morning/fatigue posting. :/

Says the guy who now plays SCH!

Seriously though. Scholar is pretty strong both in healing and DPS at the moment.

Scholar might give you bad healing habits though since in dungeons, most of the time you don't literally have to do anything due to the fairy being OP. So once you actually have to start healing, it might be kinda rough.

But SCH is definitely the most fun healer imo. WHM seems a lot more fun too at 60 than it was at 50, AST is alright.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This game plays amazingly well on a controller on the PC, it's kind of blowing me away.

My 980 is making it look so pretty, it's quite a wonderful world this Eorzea.

Omni

Another random question. How do you unlock The Bowl of Embers (Hard), The Navel (Hard), and The Howling Eye (Hard)? I looked online first of course, but it says to talk to a guy in the Waking Sands. Need to do them to progress through the main quests.

The problem is that the guy I'm supposed to talk to is drunk? No side quest available. I hate how much you can miss in this game. Kinda frustrating

WolvenOne

How many Eso-Tomes do body-pieces cost again? Can't seem to find a list online, and I'm trying to discern how many more weeks it'll take to get my Chest after buying my weapon.

PS: No raiding tonight, so it's time for Gatherpalooza 2016!! \o/

iammeiam

How many Eso-Tomes do body-pieces cost again? Can't seem to find a list online, and I'm trying to discern how many more weeks it'll take to get my Chest after buying my weapon.

825 Eso; so not the week after weapon but the week after that.

My personal plan is weapon week 3, belt week 4, body week 5. You can afford an accessory week 4 without pushing first body or legs out a week, so.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Get your weapon first, dude. Kaoz made a mistake.

Jayhawk

There are some jobs that could be better off getting the body first unless they collected shafts since the first week of Alexander normal, especially if their upgraded law chest has unnecessary accuracy that the esoterics chest does not have. The math gets pretty close.

WolvenOne

Yeeeah, I mean I get the rational, damage mitigation and all that. One piece isn't going to mitigate that much more damage though. I mean if going 10 ilvls roughly mitigates ten percent of the damage you're taking, than a single piece of armor is at most two, three percent additional damage mitigation tops, that'll hardly even register.

825 Eso; so not the week after weapon but the week after that.

My personal plan is weapon week 3, belt week 4, body week 5. You can afford an accessory week 4 without pushing first body or legs out a week, so.

Similar plan I guess, might try to see if I can do anything with those three hundred sixty odd leftover Tomes before I grab the body, but my exact plan will have to wait until I can find a full price listing, or when I log on tonight.

There are some jobs that could be better off getting the body first unless they collected shafts since the first week of Alexander normal, especially if their upgraded law chest has unnecessary accuracy that the esoterics chest does not have. The math gets pretty close.

Warrior Chest is Parry Accuracy, so I'd be buying it solely for the Vit, Str, and armor values. Granted I might end up needing the accuracy later on, but the secondary stats leave a lot to be desired for. <_<;;

xezuru

When I was playing in Vanilla 2.0, I wanted to be a dark elf, too bad even though their description says they have fighter attributes they're just a bunch of woodland pansies, so I started out as a dumb catboy to get a bit of the token monk stats without being a fuckin uggo race. Now I'm thinking of going male dark Au Ra, for a little stat min max and the dark elf similarities, but god damn their dumb anime hair and shit is disgusting.

P.S. Lallafells may be potatoes, and fem Au Ra / Catgirls just weeabo bait, but longed necked giraffe uggo dark elves aren't much better.

iammeiam

Similar plan I guess, might try to see if I can do anything with those three hundred sixty odd leftover Tomes before I grab the body, but my exact plan will have to wait until I can find a full price listing, or when I log on tonight.

Stolen from Reddit, an example upgrade plan with costs and how much you'd have left each week.

Reading through it again, I may actually skip belt to move pants up sooner. My Alex NM pants and chest are alternately eh and trash; the Esoterics stuff is pretty solid.

Another random question. How do you unlock The Bowl of Embers (Hard), The Navel (Hard), and The Howling Eye (Hard)? I looked online first of course, but it says to talk to a guy in the Waking Sands. Need to do them to progress through the main quests.

The problem is that the guy I'm supposed to talk to is drunk? No side quest available. I hate how much you can miss in this game. Kinda frustrating

You need to have finished the 2.0 storyline, and then hmmm... maybe have max GC ranks? I think it starts right away though once you're done with 2.0, you just go to Urianger and he'll have the Ifrit HM quest, you do that, unlock Garuda HM, beat that then finally unlock Titan HM.

WolvenOne

Stolen from Reddit, an example upgrade plan with costs and how much you'd have left each week.

Reading through it again, I may actually skip belt to move pants up sooner. My Alex NM pants and chest are alternately eh and trash; the Esoterics stuff is pretty solid.

Yeeeeaaah, the tank chests available to me are all kinda trash until I get the Gordian Tank Chest, buuuuuut chests are Savage A4, so even if we continued going at a good pace it'd be awhile before I got it. Thankfully most other Esoteric pieces for Warriors range from either good to, passable enough.

The 24-Man Raid chest will probably end up being pretty good, but of course I have the same issue there. Thankfully secondary stats don't mean all that much at this point.

Audioboxer

Right, time to get levelling tonight. Only at 35.

Does anyone have any good UI setups for PS4? Still getting used to using a gamepad. I find targetting quite difficult when swapping between enemies and friendlies. Don't need to do it a lot as a summoner, but occasionally for off heals, res or eye for an eye.

aceface

Right, time to get levelling tonight. Only at 35.

Does anyone have any good UI setups for PS4? Still getting used to using a gamepad. I find targetting quite difficult when swapping between enemies and friendlies. Don't need to do it a lot as a summoner, but occasionally for off heals, res or eye for an eye.

Press up and down on the d-pad to cycle through your party members quickly. To tab target through enemies hold down L2 and press R1.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

DPS should all be getting the weapon first if they're trying for early progression, in any case.

WolvenOne

DPS should all be getting the weapon first if they're trying for early progression, in any case.

Well, Warrior, but in Deliverance I'm almost a DPS. XD

Armor mitigation shouldn't become a big deal until sometime around S-A3, which I wouldn't expect to hit until next week at the earliest. Until then, DPSing is a bigger issue. Higher DPS allows for more room for mistakes in farming A1, and getting adds down quickly in A1 is supposedly the key to making that fight a lot easier. Even in A3 there's a pretty darn big DPS check I could be helping with, though of course I have no idea how much time I can spend in Deliverance yet. Granted I expect you know all this, so this is all moot really.

Jayhawk

Blanket statement is false. If the math (including weapon damage) results in only like 4~ main stat difference between i180 body+esoterics weapon and esoterics body+hive weapon and you're nowhere close to getting Alex normal body, having esoterics body this week might be the push a group needs to down a floor before the week resets. The extra loot and tokens from clearing a turn a week earlier makes up for that math difference.

WolvenOne

So be clear on something. My group had to push fairly hard to past few days, and a few people were working on a few hours of sleep over the course of the past couple days as of last night. I don't think we'll be running again until later in the week, possibly the weekend.

Need to give people a day or two to rest up before the next push, ya know. So unless A2's a much bigger pushover than I expect, I wouldn't expect to clear it this week.

Frazley

Am I the only one who thinks Chocobo Forest sounds like The Sims Build Mode? I like the music, just kept reminding me of the sad melancholy tunes with the happy tunes from my many Sim hours.

Am I the only one who thinks Chocobo Forest sounds like The Sims Build Mode? I like the music, just kept reminding me of the sad melancholy tunes with the happy tunes from my many Sim hours.

If you stay there for a while though at some point the music goes all crazy epic combat stuff for no reason, then calms down again.

Frazley

If you stay there for a while though at some point the music goes all crazy epic combat stuff for no reason, then calms down again.

I "think" I heard that range too, or is there a third tier to the music? I hear sad, then happy, maybe I have heard the chaotic. Spent hours last night trying to find all the Aether Currents. It is one of my favorite pieces partly due to the nostalgia.

Regarding Aether Currents:
Am I right that Sea of Clouds and Chocobo Forest have areas that you can't get to until you progress in the quest? I can't seem to get to half of the map.

WolvenOne

I "think" I heard that range too, or is there a third tier to the music? I hear sad, then happy, maybe I have heard the chaotic. Spent hours last night trying to find all the Aether Currents. It is one of my favorite pieces partly due to the nostalgia.

Regarding Aether Currents:
Am I right that Sea of Clouds and Chocobo Forest have areas that you can't get to until you progress in the quest? I can't seem to get to half of the map.

A bunch of the Sea of Clouds map is inaccessible from the area you originally enter. There's also a very small mountain-peak blocking off a decent chunk of the Dravanian Highlands, but you can walk around it.

Just follow the quest markers, it'll eventually take you to most major areas in every zone.

Valor

My Alex NM pants and chest are alternately eh and trash; the Esoterics stuff is pretty solid.
The pants are fine, but the chest is shit. Eso stuff looks better, but it's gonna be about juggling accuracy as always. Life is hard. I haven't looked at too many of the eso stats because my want to get grows and I need to stay committed to that sweet sweet weapon.
Blanket statement is false. If the math (including weapon damage) results in only like 4~ main stat difference between i180 body+esoterics weapon and esoterics body+hive weapon and you're nowhere close to getting Alex normal body, having esoterics body this week might be the push a group needs to down a floor before the week resets. The extra loot and tokens from clearing a turn a week earlier makes up for that math difference.
You're assuming that an accessory from A1S is going to make up for pushing a pure dps gain weapon back like two weeks. That's just silly in every way. I'm one shaft into my alex normal body and I'm not even considering something that isn't the weapon. A1S means basically nothing because all you get out of it are accessories. Eventually you're going to be swimming in that shit. Not like anyone who is on this forum is a progression raider, dude. Maybe this matters for people like the Gators or Elysium/Lucrezia/others but for us? Please.

So be clear on something. My group had to push fairly hard to past few days, and a few people were working on a few hours of sleep over the course of the past couple days as of last night. I don't think we'll be running again until later in the week, possibly the weekend.

Need to give people a day or two to rest up before the next push, ya know. So unless A2's a much bigger pushover than I expect, I wouldn't expect to clear it this week.
Thanks for the blog update. I can rest easier now.

iammeiam

The pants are fine, but the chest is shit. Eso stuff looks better, but it's gonna be about juggling accuracy as always. Life is hard. I haven't looked at too many of the eso stats because my want to get grows and I need to stay committed to that sweet sweet weapon.

Alex pants are Det/Skillspeed in what's traditionally an acc slot. The Det makes them okay, but if you're running full Alex normal gear the lack of acc forces you into the (aforementioned shitty) Alex body. I think shifting to the pants from Alex next week is going to make me go back to an i180 belt or some i180 accessories for a couple weeks unless I get a lucky drop. The ranged Eso bodies are both solid--MCH gets Acc/Det, BRD Acc/Crit; stats swap around for the pants but still Acc/good secondary.

The T13 accuracy struggle won't repeat here; I've poked around with potential for BiS and holy shit do we have all the accuracy. We're sorely lacking in Crit/Det, and if 3.1 introduces a Crit/Det i200 chest in the 24-man we may witness the rebirth of the Demon Tabard. Depends on how stat weights rebalance, I guess.

But, yeah, weapon first and always. For me it's more a question of weaving smaller pieces in with chest/legs, or just going straight for those because they're both really solid.

Jayhawk

You're assuming that an accessory from A1S is going to make up for pushing a pure dps gain weapon back like two weeks. That's just silly in every way. I'm one shaft into my alex normal body and I'm not even considering something that isn't the weapon. A1S means basically nothing because all you get out of it are accessories. Eventually you're going to be swimming in that shit. Not like anyone who is on this forum is a progression raider, dude. Maybe this matters for people like the Gators or Elysium/Lucrezia/others but for us? Please.

Kagari's statement was for anybody doing progression. That could also include groups that could clear A2S this week.

Did you actually do the math? No, you didn't. Some situations come out with a difference of about 3-5 main stat based on stat weights. How much main stat is increased from drops from A1S and A2S (plus tokens and upgrade items)? As if a i180 to i200 chest increase doesn't provide a pure dps gain? Continue on with your ignorance please. There are already posts by DPS classes like SMN with math that favor getting body before weapon.

Frazley

A bunch of the Sea of Clouds map is inaccessible from the area you originally enter. There's also a very small mountain-peak blocking off a decent chunk of the Dravanian Highlands, but you can walk around it.

Just follow the quest markers, it'll eventually take you to most major areas in every zone.

Thanks, will attempt to find my way through. I want my flying company chocobo! It's so fun flying around Western Coetheras on my Griffin.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kagari's statement was for anybody doing progression. That could also include groups that could clear A2S this week.

Did you actually do the math? No, you didn't. Some situations come out with a difference of about 3-5 main stat based on stat weights. How much main stat is increased from drops from A1S and A2S (plus tokens and upgrade items)? As if a i180 to i200 chest increase doesn't provide a pure dps gain? Continue on with your ignorance please. There are already posts by DPS classes like SMN with math that favor getting body before weapon.

You assume people will be guaranteed drops from Savage but that's far from the truth. You need 4 weeks of clears just for one thing.

Jayhawk

You assume people will be guaranteed drops from Savage but that's far from the truth. You need 4 weeks of clears just for one thing.

I'm not assuming anything. One more week of clears means more drops and getting items from tokens a whole week earlier. Weapon upgrade is the best upgrade in a vacuum where everybody is at Alexander normal gear for every slot and is at the right accuracy. We don't live in a vacuum.

EDIT with that SMN reference:

OF post by OneWingedSora said:
I did the same thing. Went with Chest and will get the ring and upgrade it to 210 next week(Giving me 11 more int over the i180 one). However, if you still don't have access to A2S, you can go with Chest+Gloves, which if you compare it with the weapon, will give you: -2 WD, +10 int, -81 accuracy, +77 crit, +163 det and -143 SSPD.

You also have to take into account that the ESO chest will be BiS, while the ESO weapon will likely not, so that will mostly be wasted ESO if you spend it on the weapon. And since I couldn't get the prototype chest till two more weeks, getting the ESO chest was the better choice especially since it will help with A3S this week.

In terms of secondary stats priority, based on Dervy's testings it goes Crit > Det > SSPD.

Dervy's DRG stat weights as of the 22nd:
WD: 10.625
STR: 1
DET: 0.139
CRT: 0.162
SS: 0.104

SMN stat weights have always had WD lower than melees. Even if the secondary stat weights change for SMN compared to Dervy's DRG, they don't change THAT MUCH. That trade-off for INT, Crit, Det for 2 WD, extra acc, and spell speed. How silly is this comparison now?

Jayhawk

How about Tom Brady? Will he pursue further action?

NFLPA already going to appeal on Brady's behalf. NFL requested federal court in New York to confirm the suspension. This will make it more difficult for Brady to take it to a federal judge that historically favors players.

Top Bottom