• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Any 4K TV can do 2160p60. Thing is, there's not much content you can watch in that resolution, so for the most part you'll end up with 1080p60 content upscaled to 2160p (4K)

I got LG OLED. It's only worthy successor to plasma.

This is true but only 4:2:0 8bit. The trick is finding one that can do 10bit, 4:2:2, 4:4:4, and or 4:2:0 10-12bit

chrislowe

I bought a 48" 4k UHD Curved Samsung for gaming, and was a bit worried about lag.

Its not much worse then my old LG 42" FullHD actually 17ms for the LG, and 26 for the Samsung.

Not really noticable.

What do you guys think about the Sony w705 and Sony w829? Both 50". Some say the 829 is just the 705 with 3D, others say the 829 is waaaaay better.
Re. the 829. If your eyes can tolerate the slight flicker/loss of light output of 60Hz strobing (obviously this is optional) then I'd argue all day long it's one of the best TVs you can game on. Running a high end PC with an unfaltering 60fps combined with almost full motion resolution provided by the backlight strobing is incredible.

http://www.blurbusters.com/sony-motionflow-impulse-mode-reduces-motion-blur-without-interpolation/

What do you guys think about the Sony w705 and Sony w829? Both 50". Some say the 829 is just the 705 with 3D, others say the 829 is waaaaay better.

I've got the 705 (has the LED switching mentioned above) and couldn't fault it TBH.

Apparently the 829 has a screen coating for the 3D that you might be perceptible to.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Anyone know of any videos of 2D games being played on a curved screen? I'm just curious if the image would look distorted...

Jigolo

I've come to appreciate rtings.com more and more. I've asked a few question on there and that have gotten answers and their data is great. They don't ever get "review" units so all the units are retail consumer products that they are testing. Pretty cool website

ApharmdX

Banned
I've got the 55 inch W800B from Sony. You're going to like the 50. These are great sets for gaming.

I've come to appreciate rtings.com more and more. I've asked a few question on there and that have gotten answers and their data is great. They don't ever get "review" units so all the units are retail consumer products that they are testing. Pretty cool website

That's a great site, and I agree that they are very helpful.

Oh wow thank you for that site, very interesting and helpfull. Upgrading my tv soon so this site will be very handy.

werks

Banned

rtings is a pretty great resource, the only thing i don't like about them is they still havent review a single oled tv.

mulac

http://www.lg.com/au/tvs/lg-60UF850T

Thinking of pulling the trigger on this bad boy to replace my ancient 720p 42'' hdtv that i've been running the last 6 years.

Anyone have any experience with this? I love LG as a brand and think they make some of the best tv's on the market. Got around $3k AUD to spend on this and would also be interested in a decent soundbar.

Usage will be hooked up to XBoxOne, PS4 and my HTPC - so really full multimedia experience.

Thoughts?

Jigolo

rtings is a pretty great resource, the only thing i don't like about them is they still havent review a single oled tv.
I asked them about it and they said it's not on the top of their list of priorities because so few people have one. But they do plan on reviewing them in the future.

ameleco

Hey! So I've been looking for a TV for the bedroom and so it doesn't need to be huge and I've been looking at Vizio's M series. I've seen that input lag is really low and it has a lot of other decent features. My roommate recently got a 48 inch Sony KDL48Wsomethingsomething and that seems great and I believe even cheaper than the M series. I also see most other people in here usually talking about Sony or Samsung, but I just can't see myself paying so much (1000+) for those sets unless its a living room TV or the faults with Vizio (bad viewing angle?) cannot be overlooked.

I guess my question is this: For the price, is there really anything better for mostly gaming or will the viewing angles bother me (I think I saw that mentioned in this thread anyway) and I should just splurge (maybe a few hundred more) on a bedroom TV? Also, should I still get the M series TV if I can find the P series for a comparable price? Is P better in most cases or...?

Ocaso

Hey! So I've been looking for a TV for the bedroom and so it doesn't need to be huge and I've been looking at Vizio's M series. I've seen that input lag is really low and it has a lot of other decent features. My roommate recently got a 48 inch Sony KDL48Wsomethingsomething and that seems great. I also see most other people in here usually talking about Sony or Samsung, but I just can't see myself paying so much for those sets unless its a living room TV or the faults with Vizio cannot be overlooked.

I guess my question is this: For the price, is there really anything better for mostly gaming or will the viewing angles bother me (I think I saw that mentioned in this thread anyway) and I should just splurge (maybe a few hundred more) on a bedroom TV? Also, should I still get the M series TV if I can find the P series for a comparable price? Is P better in most cases or...?

Most sources say last year's P series has better local dimming, but this year's M series appears to win out in terms of scaling. Given that most current content is scaled, that would suggest the M series to be better for most people.

ameleco

Most sources say last year's P series has better local dimming, but this year's M series appears to win out in terms of scaling. Given that most current content is scaled, that would suggest the M series to be better for most people.

Ah, k! And what of the viewing angle? Deal breaker? It really is the one thing keeping me from pulling the trigger (and the fact that there may still be a much better tv within a couple hundred dollars for the price?).

Edit: maybe I'm just being dumb about viewing angle. It's not like I'll watch it more than 19 degrees off center anyway
The thing that put me off the Vizio M series was some reports that the motion blur wasn't very good, mainly from rtings.

Yeah I read that too :/ And it sucks since the E series beats it in that category. Ugh. I'm just unsure at this point.

Final Edit: Seems like maybe Samsung UN55J6200 is a better option

Exuro

What's the best value 55 inch TV out now? I liked the vizio e series from what I've read but there's no 55 inch version. :(

Will be using it for movies and games. Don't think I'll need or want 4k/120hz type features.

Arlen777

What's the best value 55 inch TV out now? I liked the vizio e series from what I've read but there's no 55 inch version. :(

Will be using it for movies and games. Don't think I'll need or want 4k/120hz type features.

I bought Vizio P-Series 4k 55 inch, didnt really care for 4k, but after reading reviews, i found out that it has really low input lag, i love how low it is, its even lower than my sony r550. And it costs only 1K

Exuro

I bought Vizio P-Series 4k 55 inch, didnt really care for 4k, but after reading reviews, i found out that it has really low input lag, i love how low it is, its even lower than my sony r550. And it costs only 1K
Yeah the low input lag is a huge plus for me. How is it for 1080p and 720p content?

Arlen777

Yeah the low input lag is a huge plus for me. How is it for 1080p and 720p content?

Quality is very good, like when i tried GTA5 on vizio, it upscaled the game a little, but without increasing input lag. So to put it in simple words, i am actually thinking of selling my Sony R550 70 in living room and get another Vizio P-series 70

Jiraiza

If there's anyone looking for tthe KDL-55W700B, it looks like the Sony Store has them on clearance.

Wasn't expecting to get a new TV any time soon, but considering this model is kind of rare in the states, couldn't help but pull the trigger. Also before you ask, the link says refurbished, but the product should be new, if phone calls are anything to go by.

Vertti

I am an idiot. Should have bought Sony 605B/705B. Now it can't be found anywhere. The new 705C has much bigger input lag I've heard

Any good options in the 500-600€ price range?

I'd buy a gaming monitor for coach gaming but they are too small and don't have HDMI for consoles.

EDIT. I'm think I'm gonna just buy a gaming monitor at some stage. Keep my old tv because it's still fine for Wii U gaming.

If anyone in South Florida is looking for a new TV, I'm creating a well priced bundle:

Sony 2014 4K 3D Triluminous XBR55X850B ($1499)
Sony HTCT770 2.1 Soundbar with tweeters ($450)
4 years remaining transferrable Best Buy Geek Squad In Home Service (~$300)

I'd like to let it all go for $1300. Getting a good deal on a new setup and want to pay it forward. I know this belongs in Buy/Sell/Trade, but just in case I thought I'd post it here first.

chrislowe

after getting a new UHD tv, I think i want something that doesnt change the image that comes into the tv.
Something like my studio monitors, that plays what is sent into them.. dont distort the sound.
My tv feels like it makes contrast filters etc... I want to see what is sent into it. nothing else.

Pagusas

Elden Member
after getting a new UHD tv, I think i want something that doesnt change the image that comes into the tv.
Something like my studio monitors, that plays what is sent into them.. dont distort the sound.
My tv feels like it makes contrast filters etc... I want to see what is sent into it. nothing else.

if its a Samsung use HDMI input 2 and set it to PC, thats about as close to a raw, unprocessed image as you'll get.

Just a quick update on the LG 55EC9300. Still leaves me plenty impressed and I'm slowly dialing in my settings to be properly calibrated (I've managed to get a bit of equipment for the task). Went and saw Rogue Nation in theaters and was disappointed that my TV produces a better image. ;p

burgerdog

Just a quick update on the LG 55EC9300. Still leaves me plenty impressed and I'm slowly dialing in my settings to be properly calibrated (I've managed to get a bit of equipment for the task). Went and saw Rogue Nation in theaters and was disappointed that my TV produces a better image. ;p

Think it will hit ~$1,500 during Black Friday?

My Samsung 55 Inch D7000 broke down recently (on and off clicking no picture), Got all my money back, time for a new TV.... which will definitely not be Samsung.

Need advice... my 2 Choices are.

$3099AUD LG 55EC930T OLED - http://www.lg.com/au/tvs/lg-55EC930T
or
$2700AUD Sony KDL-65W850C - http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-65w850c

Usage for all round - Movies, PC Gaming, PS4, XBOX ONE, WII U, Sega Saturn, 16Bit Emulation. Sports (NFL). Only interested in 1080p, waiting for HDMI 2.0a before upgrading to 4K.

What should I go for? 65 LED LCD will be massive but that OLED factor!

kevm3

My Samsung 55 Inch D7000 broke down recently (on and off clicking no picture), Got all my money back, time for a new TV.... which will definitely not be Samsung.

Need advice... my 2 Choices are.

$3099AUD LG 55EC930T OLED - http://www.lg.com/au/tvs/lg-55EC930T
or
$2700AUD Sony KDL-65W850C - http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-65w850c

Usage for all round - Movies, PC Gaming, PS4, XBOX ONE, WII U, Sega Saturn, 16Bit Emulation. Sports (NFL). Only interested in 1080p, waiting for HDMI 2.0a before upgrading to 4K.

What should I go for? 65 LED LCD will be massive but that OLED factor!

I personally say OLED, especially since you're sticking at the 1080p resolution.

astonish

Bought a 65" Vizio M series this week. Incredibly happy with it. After dialing in the picture settings to the CNet review the picture surprised me. My fathers plasma is the best home PQ I've ever seen and I didn't think this Vizio could provide me with similar impressions, but with a good quality source it really does. Maybe it wouldn't stand up to side by side comparisions, but in isolation the PQ is stunning. Especially on great sources (BD of Avengers, Lego Movie, etc).

I bought it this week mostly to watch the DOTA2 international. It didn't disappoint. I was running the native client off the GTX580 in my HTPC, so no 4K PC out, but at 1080p/60 (didn't try 120) it was super clear. I was tempted to bring down my 970 for the week to run the client in 4K, but I'm not sure how much PQ I would really gain. The 1080 looked sharp and crisp and watching some 4K netflix there certainly isn't an "OMG" difference in sharpness/quality. Given the lack of 4K/60 4:4:4 and how good 1080p looked I'd be much more likely to run 1080p/120/4:4:4 when gaming in the future.

Because I watched so much DOTA I didn't do a whole lot of gaming myself this week, but a couple quick PS4 games showed the low latency to work well and I didn't find any motion blur to complain about (though I'm not super sensitive).

I still have lots of things to test on the TV, one of them being how it handles/how laggy are 240i/p sources from my old consoles. I'd love a framemeister but don't have a money.

All and all 5/5 for what I was going for. There are aspects of the Sony/Samsungs that I was looking at that might be better. I got real deep in reading AVS arguments about the merits of what had better this and that based on ratings and numbers. I told myself size was more important than quality to a point and the Samsung I was looking at (7100) was nearly double the price of the Vizio so i choose a bigger Vizio than a smaller Samsung and expected to only have so-so PQ. However, after spending a week with the TV the PQ is great and I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money on the samsung.

DD-11

Should those without cable or the need for a TV tuner consider getting a monitor instead of a TV? TVs have all this fancy tech, and I guess what I'm asking is if you can get a comparible picture with a big pc monitor and forgo all the input lag of a traditional TV?

mr stroke

picked up the 4k Samsung curved 48" JS9000

Works amazing as a PC monitor too(with 4:4:4)

s1JDjCSl.jpg

j5ZQz4Wl.jpg

Contrast and black levels are fantastic. PC & PS4/Xbone look amazing. Outside of an OLED its about the best Ive seen from an LCD.

ewwwww motionflow. fake frames and soap opera effect FTL.

Impulse is legit. Really what almost everyone should be using if they own a Sony. If not Impulse Clear or Clear Plus at the very least.

Motionflow Impulse is backlight strobing, not frame interpolation. The motion resolution is really impressive, but there's a huge loss in brightness.

Yeah I used Impulse when I had my X900B and it was great. I calibrated mine though so set it at 40ftL when using Impulse and it was good. Used Impulse for Night mainly and one of the Clears cannot remember which exactly for Day at about 47ftL

Impulse is legit. Really what almost everyone should be using if they own a Sony. If not Impulse Clear or Clear Plus at the very least.

Yeah I used Impulse when I had my X900B and it was great. I calibrated mine though so set it at 40ftL when using Impulse and it was good. Used Impulse for Night mainly and one of the Clears cannot remember which exactly for Day at about 47ftL

It's too bad Impulse isn't available in Game Mode on Sony's 4K TVs
Sony wryyyyyyyyyyy

wowzors

Contrast and black levels are fantastic. PC & PS4/Xbone look amazing. Outside of an OLED its about the best Ive seen from an LCD.

What game is that in the first picture? It looks beautiful with the colors.

Yaari

What game is that in the first picture? It looks beautiful with the colors.

Heroes of the Storm.

That said, I think it's an OLED trait to make colors pop like that. I think most games will look incredible on it. Definitely hoping the new flat OLED will be received well so I can pick it up next year after pricedrops.

ss_lemonade

ewwwww motionflow. fake frames and soap opera effect FTL.
Impulse though is like the lightboost hack for 120hz monitors or one those ULMB modes, but at 60hz. No soap opera effect there. Looks amazing with only slight ghosting and a drop in overall brightness (which I get used too after using impulse for some time).

It's too bad Impulse isn't available in Game Mode on Sony's 4K TVs
Sony wryyyyyyyyyyy
Yikes. I think impulse is (thankfully) the only motionflow mode available for my 1080p set when in game mode so that does suck it doesn't work the same for 4k tvs

s1JDjCSl.jpg

j5ZQz4Wl.jpg

This is what I'm getting! Albeit at 55" Currently I have a Vizio 4k P series which is awesome as it does 1080p@120hz with minimal input lag. But its not without issues, limited color and no 4:4:4 4k@60hz for the future. I've been working for best buy about a month now and I get an insane deal on Samsung TV's. I can't justify the JS9500 even with my discount because of the size. But the JS9000 looks to be perfect.

Vamp

I went to the store and i saw 2 sony tv's next to each other displaying same movie, one tv was so smooth (like 60fps) other one was maybe 30fps. The 60fps was a little bit more expensive. What kind of tech is that tv using to display 60fps? I mean it looked so smooth.

I went to the store and i saw 2 sony tv's next to each other displaying same movie, one tv was so smooth (like 60fps) other one was maybe 30fps. The 60fps was a little bit more expensive. What kind of tech is that tv using to display 60fps? I mean it looked so smooth.

Motion interpolation. Each company has their own name for how much interpolation they can achieve. Essentially it's creating and inserting fake frames between the real frames to make it look smother.

You're experiencing what's known as the soap opera effect.

Most new TVs have an option that uses interpolated frames to smooth out the picture.

Turn it off.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Should those without cable or the need for a TV tuner consider getting a monitor instead of a TV? TVs have all this fancy tech, and I guess what I'm asking is if you can get a comparible picture with a big pc monitor and forgo all the input lag of a traditional TV?

If they made monitors at the sizes I wanted, I'd probably never consider buying another TV.

Top Bottom