• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight Spoiler thread (THERE WILL BE UNMARKED SPOILERS)

This turned out to be such a big disappointment. Way too much padding on the content, forcing players into doing repetitive tasks. And forcing players to 100% everything including all the Riddler stuff? That's garbage. The final ending isn't even worth all that extra work.

All of which is to say, while this is of course purely anecdotal evidence, i don't think that Arkham Asylum's campaign did a better job teaching the player how to master its mechanics. While it's true that it had a higher concentration of combat and predator scenarios to the mechanically more varied sequels, that alone didn't guarantee your mastery of its systems at all. The game could still be beaten by just coasting on the basic moves for the most part (like so many people still do and then complain about it), but the real test always came in form of the challenge maps and how much you as a player are willing to put into it.

Actually, that happened to me as well, quite liuterally the exact same thing, with asylum. I would argue though that you could perceive a sense of progression if you play with the intent of being a proficient player. You could "be the batman" in your third playthrough, and the game is compact and sweet enough to grant such replayability. Arkham Knight could be similar, but the idea of another playthrough is not that enticing, I don't think I'll replay it once never.

usp84

So I finished the game yesterday. Overall orety good 7.5/10 for me.Main problem is ofcourse the batmobile which I axtually liked but felt it was forced upon us in too many missions and bosses.

Also the game lacked memorable encounters.Arkham city had a lot of enemy encounters which were pretty great but on arkham knight the rooms where you faced a bunch of enemies were badly designed.

I loved the story and I had no idea who jason todd was and that whole storyline so I made quite an impression to me.Also I really liked the joker parts.Scarecrow was a bit dissapointing though.Really bad boss fights

Two face missions were laughable and generally the side missions were a bit repetitive.

I didnt like that we dont know what happened to jason todd.Like they forgot to close his story.Maybe the Knightfall thing will answer that.

mucc

I just finish the game today and really disappoint it, the plots are laughable, I don't read batman comics, but I can tell the arkham knight is jason todd once they did a flashback.

Also I can't take batman seriously once he find out arkham knight is his friend, he just like " Yo man although you blow this city up with hundreds of tank and kill thousands of peoples, we can fix this! We can make it right!" but when he caught man-bat, he was like " YOU ARE A MONSTER! YOU KILL YOUR WIFE BY ACCIDENT!! YOU MUST LOCK WITH THESE SUPER VILLAIN BECAUSE YOU ARE AS BAD AS THEM".

Not to mention the excessive tank combat. It's really disappointing because the premise, stealth and graphic are so good, but the game keep let you down as you progress.

I just finish the game today and really disappoint it, the plots are laughable, I don't read batman comics, but I can tell the arkham knight is jason todd once they did a flashback.

Also I can't take batman seriously once he find out arkham knight is his friend, he just like " Yo man although you blow this city up with hundreds of tank and kill thousands of peoples, we can fix this! We can make it right!" but when he caught man-bat, he was like " YOU ARE A MONSTER! YOU KILL YOUR WIFE BY ACCIDENT!! YOU MUST LOCK WITH THESE SUPER VILLAIN BECAUSE YOU ARE AS BAD AS THEM".

Not to mention the excessive tank combat. It's really disappointing because the premise, stealth and graphic are so good, but the game keep let you down as you progress.
Actually, Batman was pretty understanding. He told Kirk that he wasn't in the right mind set and he wasn't in control. Kirk is the one who said he deserved to be locked up.

To me and I may have seen this comparison here this is TDKR to the rest of the Nolan series. A bit I don't want to say bloated but not sure of the word to use. I liked it while playing it but just like TDKR I have zero desire to go back and play again. I still have not seen TDKR again since the first time in theaters. Maybe because it's fresh now but I've replayed all of the Arkham games multiple times with the exception of Origins and I never replay games. Something just feels off to me. It wasn't the Batmobile stuff because I had no issues with it. Maybe the lack of interiors threw off the balance? I felt like city had a lot more interior stuff though i could be totally wrong there. All in all good game while playing zero desire to replay at this time.

So just beat it and got the Knightfall initiative ending and holy shit. I thought the entire ending of the game from the moment you surrender to Scarecrow mind blowing.

Any theory who we see at the end of the game and what the heck is going on with that crazy power and weird look they have? Some kind of replacement Batman it looks like but way more intense and using Fear Toxin power maybe? Was it Jason Todd?

DOWN

Banned
Do I seriously need to do these APC vehicle takedowns and firefighter rescues to get an ending cutscene? KnightFall? Or do I just leave it here and KnightFall is a bonus that I can just watch online?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Do I seriously need to do these APC vehicle takedowns and firefighter rescues to get an ending cutscene? KnightFall? Or do I just leave it here and KnightFall is a bonus that I can just watch online?

Doing all sidemissions just allows you start the protocol, which is a cutscene. So if you don't want to complete them all, you might as well just watch the ending on YouTube.

Finally got all the riddler stuff to do Knightfall at 100%... what am I looking at??

Bats has gone full crazy? Maybe using fear toxin... maybe Joker still had an influence after all.

vladdamad

I'm not sure if a similar theory has been posted here yet, but in my opinion the best way of salvaging the Arkham Knight reveal was to have it be Damian Wayne. If AK is Damian, then:

- The story stays true to Batman lore without rehashing an existing story basically in its entirety;

- The bratty, child-like attitude makes sense;

- There is a proper motive for AK to be hunting down Batman, as he blames him for the death of his mother;

- The twist is surprising for both comic book fans and newcomers alike with potential foreshadowing from AC. Jason Todd came completely out of the blue, whereas Talia has been seen in the trilogy before and we know that her and Batman were lovers.

- "Batman's son" is an easily explained twist for newcomers, easier to explain than "Past Robin", whereas comic book fans will be surprised by the appearance of a famous character.

I am reasonable satisfied with the twist that we did get, but I have a feeling that if the story followed down this direction it would have been a lot more satisfying.

iNvid02

I appreciated how they managed to weave the batmobile mechanic into almost every facet of the game, traversal with that thing managed to remain fun throughout, but those tank battles wore me down in the end, dragging the whole thing down a little which was a shame.

The side missions were alright, I got through most of them because of the small narrative bites they provided, but the "checkboxy" ones were left alone.

Speaking of the narrative, it was one of the things I enjoyed most about this game. The mystery of the Knight's identity compelled me to really push on with the story (I had an idea who it was, but their purposeful twist worked and threw me off again). Voice acting and visual storytelling was excellent (Hamil nailing it once more).

It certainly had its flaws, not to mention that PC launch (if you could even call it a launch), but none of that was enough to take away from the story beats, most of the core gameplay, and the general experience of being the Batman.
This is definitely going to be in my top few games this year, super excited to see what Rocksteady do next. Goodbye UE3, you have earned your rest.

Layell

I'm not sure if a similar theory has been posted here yet, but in my opinion the best way of salvaging the Arkham Knight reveal was to have it be Damian Wayne.

Agreed 100%, the best reveal would have been a Titan-esque Bruce clone like Terry, or a young Damien in a power suit. It removes the problem of us all knowing Jason is alive anyways because the Red Hood was pre-order DLC.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and here is how I would have changed the story.

The game starts as it does, but through the game Batman openly believes that the AK must have been someone who worked with him. He actually does suspect it could be Jason, which would be the games fake-out. Batman finds some way that links AK to Ras, and being misguided into thinking Ras found Jason's body and revived him. Red Hood plays a part by arriving to Gotham to see if Bruce finally is able to kill, since he mistakenly believes Batman killed Joker (seriously why doesn't Jason bring this up ingame, it's such a vital point). Hallucination Joker reveals he never killed, and Jason himself proves he isn't the AK. Some sort of melee + gun boss fight ensues, Red Hood leaves saying he doesn't fully forgive Bruce. This would then soon set up a Damien AK reveal. Damien is understandably pissed at his dad for letting his mom die, they duke it out. Batman does some emotional speech like he does to Jason, but Damien runs away confused.

Scarecrow captures Gordon and Tim Drake (also how the heck does he find Tim??), Batman reveals identity as per the games ending, but Damien rescues him as the AK. Tim Drake being understandably pissed says he understands why Batman wanted him safe, but also feels like it's his time to go on his own, and becomes Red Robin. Ending is Batman and Damien fighting crime as father and son.

There already something better than what we were thrown.

Arkham Knight seems to be the DKR from the Arkham series.

Rises was bigger, but nothing was better about it compared to the previous movies. Knight has the best, most robust gameplay of its series, and only has the possibility of poor pacing because of no significant signposting outside of core gameplay (i.e. boss battles). It also has a straight up better story than the previous two entries.

The only parallel I see between the two are that they up the stakes far more than the previous entries, but that only extends to the stories, and to reach that conclusion, you need to deemphasize the gameplay.

Top Bottom