• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V Will not Have a Preload on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
The discs sold at retail have a Steam installer on them and nothing else.

CNqQhNjWIAEZXcj.jpg:orig

Ignore the steam countdown that is when it will change on the store from a bundle to a single game. Konami have said if you have already purchased the game you can download it from midnight eastern time which is 5am in the UK.

Oh yeah I read that yesterday, ignore me.

Oh no, we'll have to wait a little while to play the game. Even though konami moved up the pc release from the original sept 15th date. I'm sure we can find something else to occupy our time while it downloads.

That's not really what's being discussed in here mate...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ignore the steam countdown that is when it will change on the store from a bundle to a single game. Konami have said if you have already purchased the game you can download it from midnight eastern time which is 5am in the UK.

The unlock timer is tied to the unlock time, which is why the text says "This game will unlock in..." and also appears on the store pages for apps that are not purchasable. The time may and indeed can change at the last minute, but that is entirely dependent on Konami informing Valve of the updated time/s as it's a manual process that has to be done at Valve's end rather than something that can be overseen via the Steam Partners frontend. Will that happen or won't it? Place your bets!

Also, when a game unlocks, its pre-purchase subs are replaced with their pre-purchase equivalents. Konami could take matters into its own hands and temporarily replace the post-release subs the pre-purchase ones even after the game unlocks, but everything I've read over the past week suggests to me that Konami thinks the pre-purchase period ends at 10am PT because it's under the impression that 10am PT is the one and only time Valve makes alterations to the store.

This entire situation is really, really, really stupid.

Zemm

My word, all the people missing the most blatant sarcasm ever with that preload post on the last page haha. People must be on edge.

It's up on PSN for the person that asked.

Jarmel

Banned
I can deal with the game not downloading tomorrow but it sure as fuck better be available at midnight. 10am PST? Come on.

Mikeside

If this doesn't unlock in time for me to download it all before I go to work on Tuesday, I'm going to end up buying it on ps4. I'm playing right into Komami's hands.

AppleMIX

I took two days of just for this.

Also, my sleep schedule usually has me waking up at 11pm (central).

It's going to be a good two days.

Javier23

Banned
Has anyone tweeted this concern to Peeler or to Konami's PR account? I don't use Twitter myself, or else I would try. At this point I'm not really expecting anything to happen at midnight EST.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hey, Konami, let me handle your Steam stuff. I'll even do it for free since I already own all of the games you've published to the store thus far. My resume is this thread. :p

Vuze

5am if you believe Konami. I'm gonna believe Steam that it is actually 6pm, that way I can't be disappointed. If it is 5am, I can just set it off before I go for my morning run
6pm UK time on the 1st? That would be ridiculous lol. This whole preloading / unlocking system deserves an overhaul or ruling by Valve.

I bet the game will be patched multiple times while I'm downloading it too. No idea why Steam goes crazy with this, doesn't make sense at all (recent example with BO3, had downloaded 11gb or so, left for an hour and came back to see the progress was reset to 200mb. Turns out they published a little patch...)

5am if you believe Konami. I'm gonna believe Steam that it is actually 6pm, that way I can't be disappointed. If it is 5am, I can just set it off before I go for my morning run

Going to throw a tantrum if it actually ends up as 6pm. Gonna jump up and down and everything.

Zomba13

6pm UK time on the 1st? That would be ridiculous lol. This whole preloading / unlocking system deserves an overhaul or ruling by Valve.

I bet the game will be patched multiple times while I'm downloading it too. No idea why Steam goes crazy with this, doesn't make sense at all (recent example with BO3, had downloaded 11gb or so, left for an hour and came back to see the progress was reset to 200mb. Turns out they published a little patch...)

6pm UK time is the usual for games isn't it?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The discs sold at retail have a Steam installer on them and nothing else.

CNqQhNjWIAEZXcj.jpg:orig

Jesus christ :lol. People are gonna be pissed. They're really pushing the PC release out at the last possible minute aren't they? I get the feeling porting this must have been hell on the studio

I'm not familiar with the technical ins and outs of preloading but it's disappointing that we don't have it. Luckily it won't take me long to download but I feel for you folks that I'll have to wait a long time. The thing I can't understand is why a game won't unlock at midnight in each region, why is that so hard?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Jesus christ :lol. People are gonna be pissed. They're really pushing the PC release out at the last possible minute aren't they? I get the feeling porting this must have been hell on the studio

This isn't really a matter of last minute efforts. There are other games on Steam whose physical release involves a stub that just tells steam to download the game. X-COM Enemy Within does that.

Is it possible in some way to leave my computer on overnight and let Steam download it once it's live so it'll be done when I wake up? I don't know if I'll want to wake up at 6 AM my time to set it up.
Well yes. Leave your PC on and Steam running and it will be downloaded as you sleep. You'll have to install it when you're up but it only takes a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom