• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kameo 2 killed off because of Natal?

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
According to the NPD Group, the original Kameo has sold just over 300,000 units in the US since its November 2005 launch despite being offered at a lower price point than normal 360 titles. That figure is markedly lower than even Rare's other launch title, Perfect Dark Zero, which has moved some 655,000 units over the same period of time, according to NPD.

Well if true it's not like the project was high on their list of priorities. Shifting resources probably made the decision easier.

I liked the original but after waiting 4 years I was kind of expecting more.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Dupy said:
Well if true it's not like the project was high on their list of priorities. Shifting resources probably made the decision easier.

I wonder how it would have done if it was released today, in the exact same state.

PSGames

Dupy said:

The sequel was bound to sell way more than the original. Look at Uncharted 2. Uncharted 1's sales were really low but word of mouth was strong. Same situation would have happened here. Plus those are just U.S. numbers.

[Nintex]

It was rather short, but really fun to play and it looks amazing. Hopefully we'll still get our Perfect Dark 2 or something else next year.

painey

I BOUGHT the 360 for Kameo. I have gone back 4 times and STILL cannot force myself to sit through that piece of shit. horrible. looked nice though.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Why not have it work with Natal as an option?
Most likely a business decision; work on Kameo 2 or develop Natal fps game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kameo gets a lot of unwarranted hate. It was a solid launch title.

[Nintex]

Kaako said:
Why not have it work with Natal as an option?
Most likely a business decision; work on Kameo 2 or develop Natal fps game.
If it means a better Perfect Dark 2, you won't hear me complaining, in fact Rare can always go back to Kameo 2 for Xbox 720 launch. It should look even better with DX11 tech.
I can only imagine what a tesselated Kameo world would look like

[Nintex]

Tamanon said:
I actually wouldn't be surprised if more people wanted Kameo 2 than Natal period.
Natal had a good showing at E3 and alot of positive buzz from the press. Rare was left in the cold when the 'journalists' didn't play Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts for longer than 5 minutes and their 'fans' didn't buy it because it wasn't a 1997 platformer.

Anyone who's spend more than an hour with the game knows how brilliant it is, it only gets better as you keep playing and surely there's some dull moments there and some bad pacing but the game lasts more than 40+ hours so that is to be expected with such a huge game. Banjo offered way more value than your average 8+ hour shooter and was even sold at a budget price in the US, despite being one of if not the best looking Xbox 360 games to date.

So those people wouldn't line-up for Kameo 2 either, they'd just find another excuse not to buy a Rare game.

PSGames said:
The sequel was bound to sell way more than the original. Look at Uncharted 2. Uncharted 1's sales were really low but word of mouth was strong. Same situation would have happened here. Plus those are just U.S. numbers.

What does UC2 (probably) selling more than UC1 have to do with anything. It's in no way an example of why Kameo2 would be bound to sell more than the first. There are numerous sequels that sell less than their predecessors. And if those LTD sales cover a period up to quite recently then 300k odd sounds like their wasn't good word of mouth for the game.

Peff

Considering both projects were cancelled last year and how early Natal looked a few months ago, I doubt they cancelled them because of Natal. You'd think they would have had something to show this E3 with more than a year of development.

Y-Z

This news makes me sad :(

Kameo 1 was awesome, except for the fact that you couldn't play it co-op until you had beaten it :(

Malio

Kameo was one of my favorite launch games. And one of the best platformers this generation.

REALLY?
Kameo was good, I guess, but I'm not crying over this news one bit.

I think both Kameo and Perfect Dark were underrated games.

Perfect Dark even more so considering how rushed it was, and how many 'innovations' (if you could call tham that) it introduced that most FPS' use now.

I think BOTH games should have a sequel though.

But only Perfect Dark NEEDS a sequel. Kameo was pretty good as it was, and didn't need too much done to it to make it better.

I'll chime in with the other Kameo fans, have appreciated it from day 1 and it remains an excellent game. OTOH, I wouldn't greenlight a sequel for it if charged with the decision. At this point, it is something I cite as a sequel I'd want, but ignoring real world market viability when doing so.

Just like I've always done with Jet Force Gemini....

[Nintex]

Peff said:
Considering both projects were cancelled last year and how early Natal looked a few months ago, I doubt they cancelled them because of Natal. You'd think they would have had something to show this E3 with more than a year of development.
According to that animator the version of Kameo 2 he worked on was cancelled during 2007. So my guess is that they either started from scratch again or that they've been working on something new since 2007. Also despite Natal looking pretty early, Rare said that they worked 10 months with the technology around E3. I imagine that they had enough time creating assets to use in Natal games.

I can only imagine what Perfect Dark 2 looks like if they've been working on the engine for three years.

bengraven

I loved Kameo. The best surprise of the 360 launch and an under-rated gem. Still has some of the best music this gen as well.

I enjoyed Kameo alot, it was a much better game than Perfect Dark Zero. Tbh, I enjoyed Kameo more thoroughly than any of the Ratchet and Clank games or Nuts and Bolts. (which I thought was awful)

[Nintex]

They probably want to trick the hardcore into buying Natal too, just like how Nintendo used Zelda TP as bait at the Wii launch. So a Natal FPS game at launch is a safe bet and coming from Rare that would be a new Perfect Dark.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
[Nintex] said:
They probably want to trick the hardcore into buying Natal too, just like how Nintendo used Zelda TP as bait at the Wii launch. So a Natal FPS game at launch is a safe bet and coming from Rare that would be a new Perfect Dark.
So MS are going to launch a new Halo and Perfect Dark, within weeks of each other?

No.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
louis89 said:
As a huge Rare fan, Kameo is by far the worst Rare game I've ever played.

pah !!! Kameo was and still is amazing, technically speaking as well, textures in that game still stand head and shoulders above many games released today, definitely one of my favourite 360 titles.

Chittagong

Gold Member
And so Kameo joins Blast Corps and Cobra Triangle in the club of stupidly fun but disappointingly sterile games

louis89

lowrider007 said:
pah !!! Kameo was and still is amazing, technically speaking as well, textures in that game still stand head and shoulders above many games released today, definitely one of my favourite 360 titles.
The graphics and music are great. That said, it's repetetive, shallow, and all of six hours long. It has launch title syndrome of the worst degree.

I think if Rare had been left to develop it on the Gamecube and not rushed it out for the 360's release, it would have been up to their usual standard.

Chittagong said:
And so Kameo joins Blast Corps and Cobra Triangle in the club of stupidly fun but disappointingly sterile games
gtfo :(

KAP151

Chittagong said:

206edch.gif

Top Bottom