• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burny

I should point out that Horizons includes the base Elite game, so if somebody is interested in getting the expansion, it is better to wait.

Good call. On the other hand, if somebody is not sure they're going to like it, 15$ is a great entry price. Horizons can be still bought later, e.g. if it should be on sale. Or it could be skipped for season 3, which would probably arrive about December next year and will include Horizons. If they're going to keep their pricing model.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm off work tonight so... let's do this!

Weren't they going to add some sort of group/party method or was that already implemented?

Hmm, not sure. Either way, the first step is people have to be following each other's PTU profile in order to see each other in the friends list. I've added you - here's mine:

https://ptu.cloudimperiumgames.com/citizens/Raticus79

Can't stay up when that package sale goes on sale. Oh well >.<

They're lasting quite a bit longer now with the higher supply and new restrictions, so you still can have a good shot at it.

Rephin

Hmm, not sure. Either way, the first step is people have to be following each other's PTU profile in order to see each other in the friends list. I've added you - here's mine:

https://ptu.cloudimperiumgames.com/citizens/Raticus79

Follow'd. I'm still crashing a lot, and obviously the servers are getting swamped right now so it's hard to connect. Maybe I'll try again in a little bit. There doesn't seem to be a big improvement in the crashing for me, though.

Raticus79

Found the reason for the consistent crash I was getting when the canopy closed and it was trying to bring up the ship HUD - it was due to running SC through Steam without running Steam as admin. Probably something about it trying to use the Steam controller inputs.

https://ptu.cloudimperiumgames.com/...gh_Steam_-_resolved_by_running_Steam_as_Admin

---

Looks like things are pretty stable for me on 1080p with SLI disabled. I had a nice long session here (17 minutes):
https://youtu.be/O6deFY_D2YA
I added some notes with interesting timestamps. Edit: finished uploading now.

I just asked Ali Brown on the RSI forums if they are considering adding it. He did recently mention how they will cherry pick certain rendering features from the newer cryengines. Let us hope this is one of them!

Are you a wizard?
It has to be one of them, it's such a large improvement. Although the game looks amazing now, when it's released in a 1-2 years, it won't look as phenomenal.

Found the reason for the consistent crash I was getting when the canopy closed and it was trying to bring up the ship HUD - it was due to running SC through Steam without running Steam as admin. Probably something about it trying to use the Steam controller inputs.

https://ptu.cloudimperiumgames.com/...gh_Steam_-_resolved_by_running_Steam_as_Admin

---

Looks like things are pretty stable for me on 1080p with SLI disabled. I had a nice long session here (17 minutes):
https://youtu.be/O6deFY_D2YA
The video should finish uploading in about 3 hours from my edit time here. I added some notes with interesting timestamps.

Hey Raticus, were you using the VRAM .ini tweaks for this gameplay posted? Interesting to notice 5.3 GB VRAM used at 1080p.

KKRT00

Why not (except for Horizons probably getting released in December)? ;p Some Elite/SC exchange would be welcome. ^^

I bought Battlefront and Fallout 4 recently, both at launch. Played them both for about an hour :p
I would buy Elite and not even launch it ;p

Irobot82

9 am PST, Noon EST.

I am gonna try to get a Phoenix today. It will most likely be my last ship purchase/CCU.

So I can't really tell judging by the specs sheet, but can the Hull B travel in "hyper space" (I forgot what SC calls it). Will SC have relay's like Mass Effect for ships that don't?

So I can't really tell judging by the specs sheet, but can the Hull B travel in "hyper space" (I forgot what SC calls it). Will SC have relay's like Mass Effect for ships that don't?

Based off the description of Hull A and Hull B it looks like neither one are equipped with leaper engines.

Hull A
The smallest, most affordable Hull. The Hull A is great for those just striking out in the galaxy on their own. The Hull A is most similar to the Aurora and Mustang, but lacks the ‘jack of all trades’ nature. Where the others trade cargo capacity for firepower or speed, the Hull A is 100% on-mission transport! Additionally, Hull A (and B) are often used as station-to-orbit ferries.

Hull B
The Hull B is a more rugged option most often compared to MISC’s own Freelancer. But where the Freelancer is equipped for long range exploration and other roles, the Hull B is a pure cargo transport. Hull B are often used as corporate support ships, and it is not uncommon to spot several in different liveries during a single flight.

Despite that the Q&A for the Hull

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14684-Hull-B

“The beam dimension of the Freelancer and Cutlass are larger than the Hull B, so does that mean the Hull B might fit through smaller jump points than they will?”

The design for jump point limitations is still being developed, so there is no definitive answer yet.

and

“Will the Hull B have stronger shields than its Freelancer/Cutlass counterpart, or between the Hull A and the Hornet? It would be nice to be able to take a few hits before going down.”

The current plan is for the Hull series to have efficient shields for their class as they will lack the maneuverability of other ‘jack of all trades’ ships. This may change during game balance, but the intended role is for the Hull series to be well protected transports… but also slow, easy to chase targets.

Indicates there is a possibility but that isn't nailed down yet.

The phoenix upgrade is not available? They only sell the full ship without even LTI?

LTI's are sold on concept sales. And that sale has already passed. Last year in August was concept sale.

on the sale page for anniversary it states

This year however, in order to maintain a finite and limited stock, Cross-Chassis Upgrade to the Phoenix will not be enabled. This ship will remain on sale throughout the weekend, ending either when time runs out, or the limited stock is exhausted.

So no CCU.

I am sad, but 3 year isn't to bad so I got it anyways.

Zalusithix

No 30 buck refresh..I have to go to bed
Oh well >.<
Not sure what's going on there. There definitely wasn't a refresh today. I'm not sure if they're just lagging on it or what.

The phoenix upgrade is not available? They only sell the full ship without even LTI?

Well it's hull limited to 5000 units, so I think they disabled it as a CCU target to preserve that counter. Unlike the first time where CCUs weren't counted and allowed far more Phoenix to be sold than the 5000 limit. That being the case, the only way to get LTI on it will be to buy the $1600 package. I think it's safe to assume most wont buy that pack for the Phoenix alone. Ships like the Hull E are end of the line ships for CCU that you'll never be able to change unless they make a CCDowngrade, so you wouldn't buy a pack like that unless you really wanted the E. It's what stopped me from doing yesterday's pack. Unfortunately I have no interest in the Starliner, and at $400 it would have been a dead end ship for me. Saving ~$100 on a pack means nothing if I've spent $400 on something I don't want.

Still, the standard insurance of 3 years is pretty damned close to LTI. I'd melt and flip to it from my 6 month insurance version if it wasn't tied to a physical package. All those physical goods are worth a lot more to me than the base hull insurance. Especially since you can't get them anymore. And unlike the limited ships, I can be pretty damn sure they'll never go back on sale.

Edit: Beaten on the Phoenix

Raticus79

Here's the quote from their page: "To that point, the Constellation Phoenix has proven so popular that RSI produces only a select number every sales season, a tactic that has done well to preserve it&#8217;s high demand and resale value year after year. For 2945, Roberts Space Industries is proud to release another 5000 hulls, matching it&#8217;s generous rollout from the year before. This year however, in order to maintain a finite and limited stock, Cross-Chassis Upgrade to the Phoenix will not be enabled. This ship will remain on sale throughout the weekend, ending either when time runs out, or the limited stock is exhausted."

Hmph, so they did make it quantity limited after all.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Standalone-Ships/Constellation-Phoenix-Anniversary-2015
4691/5000 remaining at the moment. They have 3 year insurance instead of LTI.

Zalusithix

On the plus side, they have avoided the confluence of Phoenix whiners and LTI whiners.

You aren't looking hard enough:
No kidding. I can't even...
This is the one solution that manages to piss *everyone* off. Phoenix snowflakes aren't as special anymore, and people can't CCU their Andromedas.
There are no words for this kind of stupidity, CIG.
No matter what they do, somebody will be pissed off. But yes, I agree that this is a decent solution for the touchy situation the Phoenix finds itself in. I wouldn't mind if they retroactively give the original buyers 3yr insurance though.

Raticus79

No matter what they do, somebody will be pissed off. But yes, I agree that this is a decent solution for the touchy situation the Phoenix finds itself in. I wouldn't mind if they retroactively give the original buyers 3yr insurance though.

The weirdness around insurance durations in general lately has me leaning toward to possibility that they're just going to switch things over to (retroactively) include LTI on all pre-release ships sometime after the sale's done.

tuxfool

Banned
The weirdness around insurance durations in general lately has me leaning toward to possibility that they're just going to switch things over to (retroactively) include LTI on all pre-release ships sometime after the sale's done.

That would create a huge shitstorm that they would want to avoid. There are some legitimate issues in that LTI versions, i.e. concept sales ships are more expensive than when they are flight ready.

I honestly think LTI as a raison d'etre is stupid and pointless and CIG has on numerous occasions said the same, but they have profited from the idea nonetheless. I think one way to actually move forward is to poll the whole community to see what they would want to do, that way it reduces chances of people feeling like CIG is imposing or taking something away from people.

Zalusithix

One of the more interesting speculations I saw on the official forums was doing something akin to the "no alpha/beta pass" thing at 1 million backers. Basically an "LTI for all" announcement at $100 million pledged. It would be as good a time as ever to bite the bullet and get it over with. As it is, every year they've increased the insurance period on the anniversary sales. Might as well just get it over with, and give LTI to all. There will be whining of course, but in this damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, you might as well put all backers on the same footing. People that have LTI don't lose anything (other than feeling special). People that don't have it gain whatever trivial bit it's worth.

All speculation though. I made sure to cover my bases and picked up enough P-72s that in combination with unmelting and CCUs, I'll be able to LTI the ships I'm targeting over 2016. (Overall target list being the Orion, Reclaimer, Crucible, Hull D, Herald, Avenger Warlock, Khartu, MM, Vanguard Sentinel, 350R, and Cutlass Red. Possibly the Redeemer and M50. List is subject to change, and as such only the P72s are listed in the roster until they're actually CCUd completely.)

tuxfool

Banned
Meanwhile they have shifted ~700 Phoenixes in 1.5 hours. Clearly, the Phoenix isn't so special that it will fly off the shelves and clearly LTI isn't so special that without it nobody would buy such a ship.

Also because of the mess up in the Starter Pack timings, after half an hour there are still 433/1000 packages left. Anybody interested, now is your chance.

Meanwhile they have shifted ~700 Phoenixes in 1.5 hours. Clearly, the Phoenix isn't so special that it will fly off the shelves and clearly LTI isn't so special that without it nobody would buy such a ship.

Also because of the mess up in the Starter Pack timings, after half an hour there are still 433/1000 packages left. Anybody interested, now is your chance.

That really doesn't prove anything.

Yes CIG has said that LTI isn't going to be a big deal, but people still like to have that comfort level. They way I see it, people with multiple ships and some that have LTI can simply fly those ships if they do not have enough to insure the ships that may not be covered.

But as far as the sales go, it could have been possible that they would have sold more if they allowed CCU. You never know, people might have spent the extra money to get the ship and have the insurance from the one they already pledged, so it was simply trading up for those who missed the limited concept sale phase.

Some people, like me, are not going to cry blood over not being able to do a CCU, but really can't blame anyone who avoids this purchase because that was disabled.

EDIT: also even if they sell out there are like 813,000 ships out there and over 1 million backers. There is a very large possibility for there to be 5,000+ people who wouldn't mind getting the ship sans LTI

tuxfool

Banned
Some people, like me, are not going to cry blood over not being able to do a CCU, but really can't blame anyone who avoids this purchase because that was disabled.

It is one thing not to buy it. It is quite another to cast it as the worst decision in the world.

Yes CIG has said that LTI isn't going to be a big deal, but people still like to have that comfort level. They way I see it, people with multiple ships and some that have LTI can simply fly those ships if they do not have enough to insure the ships that may not be covered.

AFAIK none of the equipment on board of LTI ships is covered, only the hull. So they'll have to be paying insurance on the equipment or cargo. Presuming that CIG wants to keep things balanced then they'll skew the costs of insurance onto equipment, making the theoretical payment of in lieu of LTI meaningless in the total cost of insuring the ship. I certainly consider it nice to have, but certainly not the central focus.

All speculation though. I made sure to cover my bases and picked up enough P-72s that in combination with unmelting and CCUs, I'll be able to LTI the ships I'm targeting over 2016. (Overall target list being the Orion, Reclaimer, Crucible, Hull D, Herald, Avenger Warlock, Khartu, MM, Vanguard Sentinel, 350R, and Cutlass Red. Possibly the Redeemer and M50. List is subject to change, and as such only the P72s are listed in the roster until they're actually CCUd completely.)

Ohh you probably don't want to do that. When you go to the CCU pages all of them state

All upgrades must be applied before the Persistent Universe beta launch.

It seems as if by the next version of the PU then CCU's will cease to exist.

It is one thing not to buy it. It is quite another to cast it as the worst decision in the world.

You know the people that are doing it have some sort of sour grapes. Either they had planned on CCUing and this sale foiled it, or they are one of those backers who think that without LTI they will never spend a certain amount on a ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom