• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

With the unmelt, they do keep track of things we melted months ago, right? If so, I'll just upgrade my Hull C to a Reclaimer now and unmelt the Hull C from months ago later.
There's a record of what you've bought from the very beginning of your account's existence. The tool should be able to unmelt anything that you've melted before, with the possible exception of stuff that predates the current website. So yes, you could CCU the Hull C to a Reclaimer now and unmelt the old Hull C later on. Alternatively you can offset $75 of that and get a Aquila to Reclaimer CCU now. Then pick up a Hull C to Aquila CCU when you unmelt the old Hull C. Chain the CCUs and viola, the same result.

As for the "Weapons Free" bit, it's a NATO brevity code. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiservice_tactical_brevity_code#W
Weapons (followed by appropriate modifier below)
Fire only;
FREE at targets not identified as friendly in accordance with current rules of engagement (ROE).
TIGHT at targets positively identified as hostile in accordance with current ROE.
HOLD* (USA, USMC) in self-defense or in response to a formal order.
SAFE (USN) NOTE: USN and NATO use weapons safe to avoid confusion with the phrase hold fire.
Edit: Just realized Raticus did link to the fact that it was official. Still, want to make it abundantly clear that it wasn't a poor choice. Ignorance doesn't make something a poor choice. =P

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Edit: Just realized Raticus did link to the fact that it was official. Still, want to make it abundantly clear that it wasn't a poor choice. Ignorance doesn't make something a poor choice. =P

Sure, it's a valid use of it, I'm just referring to the potential for it to be misinterpreted in the context of a sale announcement for people who aren't as well read on military stuff. They're probably getting a few support tickets from people wondering why they can't see the free weapons section of the post, etc. Not a big deal.

Just noticed the placeholder monument image has propagated to the other sections of the site. Works pretty well at the different sizes: member profile, search results, org page

---

New PTU patch is up and they're adding another 50,000 testers, prioritized by lowest citizen number this time.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15090-Weekly-Development-Update

CMDBob

Nice, number 171 here. Been wanting to get into the PTU for 2.0 for ages. Knew backing basically straight after was worth it!

Zalusithix

Sure, it's a valid use of it, I'm just referring to the potential for it to be misinterpreted in the context of a sale announcement for people who aren't as well read on military stuff. They're probably getting a few support tickets from people wondering why they can't see the free weapons section of the post, etc. Not a big deal.

---

New PTU patch is up and they're adding another 50,000 testers, prioritized by lowest citizen number this time.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15090-Weekly-Development-Update

Well, those support tickets will be answered in a month or so. ;)

As for the increased PTU count using the citizen number, that's one way to make sure the servers aren't killed by the influx. Without any other qualifier, the first 50K likely has a lot of accounts where people have stopped paying attention to every little detail over the years and will never even realize they have access, let alone partake in it. It's quite possibly the silliest metric they could use for granting access unless the goal is to not get hammered.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
oh sh--

CIG email said:
Greetings everyone, we've got exciting news for you!

We're inviting some of our earliest backers to participate in the Public Test Universe (PTU) to playtest Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 which features the very first elements of the Persistent Universe in the form of the gas giant Crusader and surrounding areas.

Finally, my early backer status is acknowledged, LoL

Dezeer

That attached video in the weekly update is nice.

I had forgotten that my number is almost 200000, it's long wait for release.

Raticus79

Good luck getting into a server and not experiencing the crash fest. ;p

There's probably a good chance of things having improved with this last patch or they wouldn't have been that ambitious about it. From the chat, they were pretty confident about having things in good shape for people to play over the weekend. It'll be interesting to see how that goes.

Edit: patch notes are up
2.0.0e patch notes said:
This is a patch for the 2.0.0 PTU. Please fully restart your client and launcher to ensure your client is updated – your PTU client should show “2.0.0-300696-PTU” as the version. Due to the number of recent fixes to the PTU, it is strongly recommended that players delete their PTU USER folder and verify their files after patching. The USER folder can be found (in default installations) at C:\Program Files\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Test. Game files can be verified through the launcher, by clicking on the advanced options (Gear icon) and clicking “Verify”. This is particularly important if users encounter any odd character graphical issues or crash on loading.

If you don’t see Patch Notes in your launcher, please restart your launcher immediately to update it. At this stage of testing, please refer to the PTU Issue Council for submitting bugs and feedback for optimal turn-around time. Please note that this is only for this phase of PTU testing and that the normal Issue Council is for the submission of bugs only. During this initial testing phase, PTU access will be restricted to a small group of players that we will expand on over time. You can check out the full 2.0.0 PTU notes for more details about the patch and content or our 2.0.0 PTU Known Issues FAQ for bugs we are already aware of.

One important warning from the updated Known Issue List: We have a specific Issue Council thread where are requesting additional information from players regarding Error 0 disconnections.

Some special reminders from the main 2.0.0 patch notes: Approaching the atmosphere of a planet or moon too closely will result in your ship receiving a warning, and if you continue flying toward it for too long, your ship will begin to rattle apart and be destroyed. This is not how the functionality will work long term, and is temporary for the purposes of testing. This will also happen if you approach the edge of the Crusader system. Arena Commander multiplayer and ArcCorp are unavailable on the current PTU during this phase of testing.

Gameplay
Increased missile ignition time to 1.0s. The Behring C-788 Combine Cannon is now a single-shot weapon.

Environment
Fixed local audio such as Cry Astro Fuel and Covelex Shipping Hub transmissions from playing to everyone on the server.

Technical
Fixed a regularly occurring client crash.

Known Issues:
Ship spawner will sometimes fail to load ship list. There are two ways to get around this.
- Spam the terminal until it shows the list for you
- Restart the client and rejoin a different server
Matchmaking will often times try to put clients into full servers rather than available empty servers

FiraB

Banned
DAMN! I'm #54767!
I would have like 3-4k number if CIG didnt mess up my registration and had to resolve it with support ;p I backed at the first day of the campaign ;p

Yeah I was like 2400 something kickstarter and my CID is in the 60000+ range, don't know how the did the CID but it was a bit stupid.

Zalusithix

That attached video in the weekly update is nice.

I had forgotten that my number is almost 200000, it's long wait for release.

I doubt they'll use citizen numbers again if they do another increase. They've changed the criteria each time. Might as well change it again for the next wave.

If they do continue to go in order, then I'd go from considering it a silly metric to use, to an outright hostile one. There isn't some scale where backer #1 the most important while the latest backer is the least. I'm against stuff like that as much as I'm against weighting with other useless stats like money spent.

JambiBum

So I just bought SC due to the sale, and I went to play AC and realized that the game is kind of broken for me. The area in training where you follow the guy has a bunch of graphical errors like platforms flickering and such. Also I can see through my body in the hangar area. My controls don't seem to function correctly either. I can move around just fine but using a controller in the ship doesn't do much. My flight stick doesn't work either (though I think that's because I don't have a profile set up for it and the one I downloaded doesn't seem to work).

Basically, my first go with SC was a disaster and I'd like some input on things. I have played a lot of Elite and coming from a complete game like that to SC has been an adjustment so any help would be appreciated.

Raticus79

So I just bought SC due to the sale, and I went to play AC and realized that the game is kind of broken for me. The area in training where you follow the guy has a bunch of graphical errors like platforms flickering and such. Also I can see through my body in the hangar area. My controls don't seem to function correctly either. I can move around just fine but using a controller in the ship doesn't do much. My flight stick doesn't work either (though I think that's because I don't have a profile set up for it and the one I downloaded doesn't seem to work).

Basically, my first go with SC was a disaster and I'd like some input on things. I have played a lot of Elite and coming from a complete game like that to SC has been an adjustment so any help would be appreciated.

The tutorial's buggy. Better to just go into free flight and then try things out. The fastest way to get there is to hit escape and choose "Electronic access".

Missiles are one thing that people consistently have trouble figuring out on their own. You tap the button (default middle mouse) to queue them up and then hold the button to fire them.

You should be able to map input using the in-game menus. Just make sure you're on the correct selection page (KB+mouse / controller / HOTAS etc) in the input mappings using the left/right arrows on that row.

tuxfool

Banned

1. Personally I'd say the tutorial in the last few updates got kind of buggy. To test things out I suggest going into the free flight mode (locally).

2. For controller or flight stick, check your button and axis bindings in the advanced settings (it is quite easy to do, double click with mouse then move sticks or press buttons).

e: beaten, what he said.

JambiBum

The tutorial's buggy. Better to just go into free flight and then try things out. The fastest way to get there is to hit escape and choose "Electronic access".

Missiles are one thing that people consistently have trouble figuring out on their own. You tap the button (default middle mouse) to queue them up and then hold the button to fire them.

You should be able to map input using the in-game menus. Just make sure you're on the correct selection page (KB+mouse / controller / HOTAS etc) in the input mappings using the left/right arrows on that row.

It's moreso that the mapping layout doesn't seem that great to me. I'm sure if I spent time with it I could figure it out though. I'll skip the tutorial and go into free flight and see if that's any better though. Thanks.

deleted

TBH, unless there is some other additional issue an unstable overclock should just crash the engine and/or the userspace driver.

Programs typically can't do that sort of thing without there being some kind of hardware trouble. Perhaps you never noticed it before because Star Citizen pushes your computer harder than usual?

The simplest explanation is that you have an unstable overclock.

Fond out another thing - the screen goes black, but I still have some things running, like TeamSpeak. Really annoying. I also can't leave the Hangar and go into another room...

Vlodril

I am "in" too but all i am getting so far are connection errors :p i am guessing today the servers are going to get hammered.

Hoping for access come Wednesday ready for the arrival of my 970. No I'm not expecting 60fps on ultra btw, but I really don't think my old ass 580 had much of a chance with this.

Rephin

Oh my, 50000 new testers... RIP PTU servers. I've only known you for a week, but it was a good run while it lasted.

epmode

Installed everything!

"Login Failed" as soon as the PTU is launched from the client. Program then closes automatically. Oh well!

jaaz

My ID is over 1 million. Haha, I guess I'll be waiting for live.

On a better note, I got the ships I wanted during this sale:

315P
Freelancer DUR
Constellation Aquila

Guess what I will be focusing on in the PU? :)

Shy

315P
Freelancer DUR
Constellation Aquila

Congrats on the pick-ups. :)

Zabojnik

315P
Freelancer DUR
Constellation Aquila

Thanks for financing our shared dream.
And CR's ever growing fleet of Lambos.

jaaz

Congrats on the pick-ups. :)

Thanks. I figure these will keep me busy exploring solo, or with 1-2 friends, and when I get enough friends playing, I can buy a Carrack or Endeavor in-game.

Thanks for financing our shared dream.
And CR's ever growing fleet of Lambos.

Lol, those Aventus' are expensive, I tell you!

I also figure if this turns out to be a pyramid scheme, at least I can jojn the class-action now and be immortalized in video-game fraud history!

Thanks. I figure these will keep me busy exploring solo, or with 1-2 friends, and when I get enough friends playing, I can buy a Carrack or Endeavor in-game.

Lol, those Aventus' are expensive, I tell you!

I also figure if this turns out to be a pyramid scheme, at least I can jojn the class-action now and be immortalized in video-game fraud history!

It would be a small sized pyramid though. I mean, sports cars don't stack well.

Sarcasm

Thanks Zalusithix!

iO0afGqj9q0tj.gif

desu

Stupid question, but where do you even see your backer number on the RSI page? I haven't visited it in like a year and seem to be missing where I can see it.

Zalusithix

315P
Freelancer DUR
Constellation Aquila

I'm just going to play devil's advocate here and say that you're putting all your eggs in one basket. If exploration turns out to be crap, or just not your thing, then you're stuck with 3 variants that all focus on that one area. Might want to think about diversification of your fleet with at least one ship tailored for something else. Other than that, congrats on the haul! =)

It would be a small sized pyramid though. I mean, sports cars don't stack well.
Nonsense.
Germanparkinggarage.jpg

Thanks Zalusithix!
You're very much welcome. =)

BTW, I get the feeling alpha 2.0 may.. just maybe... may need a new thread when it hits live.

Mr. Big perhaps on that?
But this thread feels like home now! Admit it, you just don't want me surpassing you on post count in this thread. ;)

Seriously though, it'd probably be a good time. It'll be a new era for Star Citizen when compared to the Hanger / Arena Commander phase. The beginning of the "true" game.

epmode

Verifying the files worked!

..but now I'm having trouble even getting to my ship. The Xbone control scheme barely seems to work with the UI in this new version (I only do this because I don't want to take the time to configure my HOTAS until the game's in better shape)

Used keyboard and mouse instead, requested a ship, saw it outside but the airlock door wouldn't open. Crashed shortly afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom