• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

allan-bh

Yo... both of these are quite wrong, actually.

Primal certainly did not beat what FC4 sold in Nov '14, and Naruto PS4 did not outsell SFV on PS4.

But hey, whatever.

aligning launches, probably he's considering that Primal had less days of sales, so is doing better.

Floody

Jeff Grub is on fire on twitter with NPD infos

-Naruto outsold SFV on the PS4
-Farcry Primal is outselling FC4 when aligning launches
-Counting all Sku's Fire Emblem was #3

Wow, I'm surprised about Primal outpacing FC4, didn't really think it had much hype surrounding it.

*fake edit: Was FC4 the game that released the same day as GTA5 on current gen? If so it makes a lot more sense now.

*real edit:
Yo... both of these are quite wrong, actually.

Primal certainly did not beat what FC4 sold in Nov '14, and Naruto PS4 did not outsell SFV on PS4.

But hey, whatever.

I'm confused now, so it didn't?

Different time period, SFIV was a revival for Capcom fighting games/Street Fighter -- the franchise had a decade of slumber. MvC3 similar boat, last game for that was a long time ago as well and it was going off of the high that the fighting game genre received during that gen after SFIV's release.
There was no way SFV was going to debut with similar numbers to SFIV. It just wasn't going to happen, with every piece of content anyone ever wanted or not.

Mortal Kombat and Smash do well every time out.

I think the content (and busted launch) has to be the easiest thing to point towards, the fanbase has been very vocal, it would be criminal to ignore them.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
The only competition Sony will get is if the NX is actually a good console. Which according to rumors it sounds like it will be really good. But then again most of it is probably bullshit and just Nintendo fanboys wishful thinking. But we'll see.

It's not that simple.....X1 actually cost a bit more to manufacture then ps4, they can;t keep dropping the price too soon or they will run out of price drops, they also want to make money off x1 not be in the red.

It's actually pretty simple from the demand creation/marketing side. They need to beat PS4 on price. Whether they can is a different question and you have to look deeper than the silicon in the box.

SpotAnime

Jeff Grub is on fire on twitter with NPD infos

-Naruto outsold SFV on the PS4
-Farcry Primal is outselling FC4 when aligning launches
-Counting all Sku's Fire Emblem was #3

He also reminded me that Star Wars Battlefront is out of the top 10. I hope this translates to Season Pass deals, because I've been waiting for a deal off of the original $50 price point. Maybe they'll incentivize consumers to spend to bring up that revenue?

The only competition Sony will get is if the NX is actually a good console. Which according to rumors it sounds like it will b. But then again monst of it is probably bullshit and just Nintendo fanboys wishful thinking. But we'll see.

NX being a good console won't have any effect on ps4 at this point...ps4's third party support is not going away. Ps4 will be 299 by then.

To add salt into the SFV wounds, the Steam daily player count for the game is woeful, dropping with every passing day. I'd imagine it's the same deal on PS4.

Down to 3k peak players.

That seems pretty normal for a fighting game.

They aren't that popular.

A lot of people in the Street Fighter V related threads the past month need a reality check.

Balb

SF V beat 1 Fire Emblem SKU. It didn't beat both.

I'm pretty pissed off at SF V. It's probably the best playing FG I've ever played. But it's so hilariously lacking in content and just so unfinished feeling that it absolutely deserves the roasting it got. I hope it has legs ala Driveclub, but it's pretty frustrating to see a game released in the state it was.

Capcom is pretty good at mismanaging potentially great games. It's sad to see SFV not reaching anywhere near its potential in the esports era.

wapplew

It's actually pretty simple from the demand creation/marketing side. They need to beat PS4 on price. Whether they can is a different question and you have to look deeper than the silicon in the box.

Xbox 1.5 gonna break the console circle and change the game right? /s

JeffGrubb

Nintendo PR:

"February was a fantastic month for Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright and Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, the newest entries in the critically acclaimed strategy RPG series from Nintendo. The games took two top-10 spots on the best-sellers list from the NPD Group, which tracks U.S. video game sales. In little more than a week, the two versions of Fire Emblem Fates totaled nearly 400,000 combined units sold, including physical and digital versions. This far outpaces 2013’s Fire Emblem Awakening game, the series’ previous record-holder in the United States, and is a testament to both the longstanding popularity and rapidly growing fan base of the franchise.

Momentum should continue with today’s release of Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation, a digital-only third version of the game available for purchase to anyone who owns either Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright or Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest. Fans have weekly DLC to look forward to purchasing, as well.

February also saw the digital debut of the 2D Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue and Pokémon Yellow games in Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. The games instantly shot to the top of the charts, and together, combined to break the first-week Nintendo eShop sales record previously held by Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.

With classic graphics and timeless gameplay, these versions of the original Pokémon adventure are proving to be a popular way for fans to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the series."​

Welfare

Do we know how much Far Cry 4 sold?

“Ubisoft’s Far Cry: Primal was the top game of February 2016 with greater sales than Far Cry 4 when adjusted for the number of days the games sold within their respective launch months,” said Callahan.

Mory Dunz

Nintendo PR:

"February was a fantastic month for Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright and Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, the newest entries in the critically acclaimed strategy RPG series from Nintendo. The games took two top-10 spots on the best-sellers list from the NPD Group, which tracks U.S. video game sales. In little more than a week, the two versions of Fire Emblem Fates totaled nearly 400,000 combined units sold, including physical and digital versions. This far outpaces 2013’s Fire Emblem Awakening game, the series’ previous record-holder in the United States, and is a testament to both the longstanding popularity and rapidly growing fan base of the franchise.

Momentum should continue with today’s release of Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation, a digital-only third version of the game available for purchase to anyone who owns either Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright or Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest. Fans have weekly DLC to look forward to purchasing, as well.

February also saw the digital debut of the 2D Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue and Pokémon Yellow games in Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. The games instantly shot to the top of the charts, and together, combined to break the first-week Nintendo eShop sales record previously held by Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.

With classic graphics and timeless gameplay, these versions of the original Pokémon adventure are proving to be a popular way for fans to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the series."​

interesting.
Do we know what Smash did digitally in its first week by chance?

Ridley327

Nintendo PR:

Man, it is still hard to wrap my head around the turnaround for Fire Emblem. It was literally at death's door, and now it's putting up numbers that most RPGs would kill to have stateside.

Revven

Anime games aren't a particularly lucrative subset of video games. They have a solid audience, but they're typically not the kind of games that can outsell something like a new mainline Street Fighter.

Naruto is a special case, though. It's the only way anyone who is a fan of that series can see an animated ending to the series so 90% of people who bought it did so to see the story's finale outside of the manga. It's not unexpected for it, with that in mind, to outsell SFV. I'm not surprised by it in the least, especially when you consider the other Storm games' numbers -- they've always been million sellers (at least the mainline Storm games, not sure about stuff like Revolution or Generations). It's not a very niche game series at all.

The worldwide sales of SF on steam are not even close to the retail only of the PS4 version in this NPD.

Have you got the numbers?

SFV in 7th in this quiet month and looking back to past 7th spots looks like 100-200k. Steam WW is 132k. Could be a lot closer than you think.

Handled correctly SFV should be 300-400k but doubt it in this chart with these old games above.

But even when they were beating PS4 on price they were still losing until the Holidays when they had to offer crazy bundles.

Nice to see Fire Emblem doing well. I really want to see this series make the transition to HD.

Also Nintendo might be the best at DLC. Conquest for 20 dollars is insane.

NeonZ

I'm curious how much the negativity around SFV impacted it. No doubt it caused a dip in sales, but is it at all possible people just weren't interested in this one as much as they were in SF IV?

There was some negative word of mouth, but even before the game's launch, Capcom couldn't really advertise features that didn't exist, so it probably was seen as not really appealing by most of the mainstream audience even before the actual launch.

JeffGrubb

Whatever.

From NPD:

"Ubisoft’s Far Cry: Primal was the top game of February 2016 with greater sales than Far Cry 4 when adjusted for the number of days the games sold within their respective launch months.”

“Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 was the top-selling game on a SKU basis with its PS4 version, and when sales exceeded Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 by 90 percent when normalized for days within the month.”

I've asked for clarification regarding this Naruto point. To me, it is saying that Naruto PS4 is the top-selling game by SKU for February. Maybe I'm not comprehending.

Chase17

Nintendo PR:

Hopefully this bodes well for G/S/C on the Eshop.

RexNovis

Banned
bad month for most players. good on sony for having a platform that's up year over year. they're still struggling with the younger demographic though. maybe they can turn it around with ratchet and some other stuff this year.

Explain. The lego game sold most on PS4. The OP had a typo.

NateDrake

Man, it is still hard to wrap my head around the turnaround for Fire Emblem. It was literally at death's door, and now it's putting up numbers that most RPGs would kill to have stateside.

The demo of Awakening sold a lot of people on the game. I love the franchise and am glad to see it getting the attention it deserves.

MrDaravon

Genuinely shocked to see Primal take the #1 spot, there seemed to be absolutely no buzz or hype for that game.

SFV is about where I figured, it didn't exactly have a great launch and between being on PC (which is where practically everyone I know picked it up or is picking it up at) and digital on PS4 (which was so-so by the monthly ranking #'s). Also not really surprised to see Naruto beat it partially as a result of that, I also think people might be underestimating how popular Naruto games are in general.

Would be curious to see how much Primal sold, everything else aside I can't imagine it was blockbuster numbers for anyone really. SFV would make me a bit sad but they kinda deserved it to be honest, will be curious to see what kind of legs it has.

Ridley327

Are they 3 different games or same game? Whats the deal behind these fire emblem?

TL;DR version: Fates is comprised of three different games, with the two released at retail in standard versions offering different gameplay focuses, completely different stories and cast of characters. There's a third version that combines the casts of both games and reuses a few maps, but it too tells its own story.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
interesting.
Do we know what Smash did digitally in its first week by chance?

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS sold 135,000 copies on eShop in its first two days, so Pokemon surely did more than that.

vcc

After all the weirdness from MS, I'd like to know if YoY was bad for them? Hardware was down 23% YoY. PS4 is up YoY, There is a possibility a lot of that 23% is a decline on XB1 which may have promoted the weirdness from MS and the weirdness could have exacerbated it.

JeffGrubb

Microsoft PR:

"The unmatched lineup of games available on Xbox One continues to generate a strong response from gamers as seen through global Xbox Live engagement and exclusive game sales. Compared to February 2015, exclusive Xbox One U.S. game sales drove a 49 percent increase and the total number of hours spent gaming on Xbox One worldwide rose 93 percent. Earlier this week, we launched the Xbox One ‘Tom Clancy’s The Division’ Bundle to coincide with Ubisoft’s release of ‘Tom Clancy’s The Division’ and looking ahead to this spring, fans can look forward to the upcoming release of the highly-anticipated ‘Quantum Break,’ launching on both Xbox One and Windows 10 on April 5, as well as the built-for-Windows 10 visual showcase, ‘Forza Motorsport 6: Apex.’ We are truly grateful to our fans for choosing to play the greatest games lineup in Xbox history across Windows 10 devices, and are excited to share more in the coming months on our full lineup of holiday exclusives as well as new innovations, features and experiences coming to Xbox One, Windows 10 and Xbox Live.” – Mike Nichols, Corporate Vice President, Xbox Marketing, Microsoft​

sflufan

Banned
What I'll be really curious about is whether all of MS's recent talk regarding substantive hardware iterations will have a "chilling effect" on XB1 sales until a more definitive plan emerges.

Top Bottom