• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

Memory

Hyped to see Fire Emblem do so well, I hope this means they are already working on the next one.

Glad Naruto done well also but its bitter sweet since its the last one and CC will spend the next 20 years working on FF7 Remake episodes :( .

SFV deserves its numbers, the lack of content plus dodgy online issues along with people not being punished for disconnects was BS. A month's delay would have done wonders for this games sales.

Galang

Banned
Damn. Fire Emblem is slaying! Well-deserved.

Also good for Naruto! I hope CC get to work on other anime fighters. Please?!

Would it really made a difference? The problems of SFV aren't something that are exclusivity related. Not that it wouldn't sell more copies if it appeared on XBO off course.

For that matter I reckon Naruto's split would be pretty big in favor if PS4. I am curious how big, that might give an indication on how well SFV would do on the XBO.

Naruto outsold SFV on PSN, the lack of an Xbox version is not the problem with SFV.

Console exclusivity was the last of this games problems.

It would have bombed as a multiplat as well.
yeah, even if the game in June was released last month, SFV would have “modest” sales. But still, they could have doubled sales at least with a lot of content for casuals and some sort of RPG-lite elements. Still a major screw up by Capcom and unless the ESL turns it into another League of Legends or a free-to-play version has always been in the works, I don’t get releasing it early for the FGC. I mean, I’m into he FGC and I would have paid early access for the game, no reason to not to delay until everything was ready IMO.

Sakura

Birthright charted but not the superior version? Disappointing!

With how Japanese Birthright looked, plus all the censorship and cut content stuff covered in gaming media, how untraditional the version releases were, plus 3DS's sunset, I actually thought Fates would open lower than Awakening.

But it's not! Fire Emblem is here to stay.

I don't think the average gamer would even be aware of any changes to the game, and I'm pretty sure lots of fans upset by the censorship still bought it.

Street Fighter 4 and Marvel 3 sold like 800k-1 million first month in NPD, no?
Yeah, that was when fighters were dead and Street had a lot of nostalgia and hype behind it because it was resurrecting the fighting game scene. I’d say they would have had a 1-1.5 million debut though with the complete game instead of now. I guess it’s probably 600-700k atm...

Revven

Street Fighter 4 and Marvel 3 sold like 800k-1 million first month in NPD, no?

Different time period, SFIV was a revival for Capcom fighting games/Street Fighter -- the franchise had a decade of slumber. MvC3 similar boat, last game for that was a long time ago as well and it was going off of the high that the fighting game genre received during that gen after SFIV's release.

There was no way SFV was going to debut with similar numbers to SFIV. It just wasn't going to happen, with every piece of content anyone ever wanted or not.

Renekton

Yeah, that was when fighters were dead and Street had a lot of nostalgia and hype behind it because it was resurrecting the fighting game scene. I’d say they would have had a 1-1.5 million debut though with the complete game instead of now. I guess it’s probably 600-700k atm...
I am not sure how much better it would sell. Casual interest in Japanese fighters atm is not the greatest regardless of SP content.

Ridley327

Different time period, SFIV was a revival for Capcom fighting games/Street Fighter -- the franchise had a decade of slumber. MvC3 similar boat, last game for that was a long time ago as well and it was going off of the high that the fighting game genre received during that gen after SFIV's release.
There was no way SFV was going to debut with similar numbers to SFIV. It just wasn't going to happen, with every piece of content anyone ever wanted or not.

Sure, but doing worse than an anime fighter and an SRPG? There's no sugarcoating strong enough to hide what a disappointing performance this has been for SF5 on the starting line.

wapplew

I think SFV still have plenty of chance to success regardless of poor debut as long as they keep supporting the game.
Price could go down and meet consumer's target; a f2p version; digital sales and costumes money; tournament that ignite excitement etc.
Hope Capcom don't pull the plug just yet.

honestly think street fighter would have had much better sales if it was a complete game with a much higher metracritic, word of mouth has been horrible, and a 77 on metracritic really hurts it as well.

Hmm that exclusivity deal is working out good for sfv /s
it definitely is, it funded the game. Would have been 2018 and perhaps just as barebones if Sony didn’t throw in some cash.

And oh, the dudes that win tourney’s now take home something like a million dollars! Not every game has to start off with record-breaking numbers to be successful.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Can Capcom even reach those desired 2 million copies before the end of FY2016 at this point?
I can't imagine they would be even close. They are pushing the game in markets like China and Latin America, but big sales there would probably be visible on Steam and they aren't.

Damn sfv beat fire emblem? hot damn.

SF V beat 1 Fire Emblem SKU. It didn't beat both.

I'm pretty pissed off at SF V. It's probably the best playing FG I've ever played. But it's so hilariously lacking in content and just so unfinished feeling that it absolutely deserves the roasting it got. I hope it has legs ala Driveclub, but it's pretty frustrating to see a game released in the state it was.

Top Bottom