• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ucchedavāda;200610998 said:
Just finished up The Room, which turned out to be a Matryoshka doll of full of puzzles; starting with a locked safe, you search for hidden buttons, sliders, compartments, and more, unlocking more parts of the contraption, unless you finally unlock it in its entirety and reveal the next "level" of the puzzle. Quite an interesting concept, and very well implemented, using simple physics. Sadly, it doesn't look like the sequels are coming to Steam any time soon.
It's a nice relaxing game.
I need to decide what I'm going to run with on Dark Souls 3.

I dual-wielded in DeS, went with spear/shield in DaS, did total mace n board classic heal/buff melee paladin in DaS2.

Maybe a full caster? 2-handed barbarian-esque? Archer? I've avoided reading much about it, so I don't know if some of those are even viable.

What are you folks going to run?
I always wanted to try forgoing shield/magic and doing a full dual-wield run but the way I know myself playing, I'll probably end up over-leveling all major stats.
Matti (creator of free cam scripts for AC Unity/Syndicate, BF4...) made new site where you can download tools :D

http://cinetools.xyz/
Nice.

Volimar

This article is shit.

One much-hyped feature of Fallout 4 is the new modding system, which allows you to tweak the stats on a weapon or armor piece to tailor it to your needs. You even make minor changes to the weapon model itself! Unfortunately, your modding options are usually fairly straightforward in practice; you pick the receiver with the highest damage output, the sniper barrel with the longest range, and the biggest and fastest magazine available while ignoring the minimal trade-offs. Sadly, the weapon balance in the game is also quite bad, and many weapons are nearly unusable on harder difficulties. As a result, I found my equipment progression to be very flat. I quickly found two weapons that worked better than anything else, slapped on the weapon mods that were available, and then I stared at these same two guns for the remainder of the game.

This reviewer isn't much of a roleplayer. Some people like pistols, some like shotty's, some like melee, some like automatics, and some like snipers. You can't go into a system designed to be tailored to the way you want to play and then bitch when it lets you min/max.

Nete

lol it's still shit. Not even cheat codes could make that game any fun.

You would think a Star Wars game in the AoE 2 shell would be fun, but it's "fuck you and your unreasonable standard of "Fun"" in video game form.

The calvary and infantry animation were horribly laughable back then, I can't even imagine how it would look like now.

The light/dark Jedis as monks is inspired but it's no good.

That combat fuckin sucks and how the resources look like before harvest looked awful.

This game should not exist at all. They should've either delayed and put it on another graphic engine or outright cancelled it. It's not a particularly inspired cash grab of a game and it should've been left in the past.

Thank God AoE2 is on Steam and I will forever love it, but Galactic Battlegrounds suffers so much because the devs put a Star Wars game in the AoE 2 and it suffers for it.

God, I just fucking remembered the CIS faction had small shitty blaster robot in the game.
It looked stupid.

This so much. Awful game.

I still can't believe the stupid TIE Interdictor they created, aka "Hey, I heard you liked TIE Bombers so I put a TIE Bomber in your TIE Bomber", made its way to the X-Wing Miniature Game last year (with the name changed to TIE Punisher).

QjZePxu.jpg

At least it gave us this thread. Shame some of the pics aren't available anymore.

Jawmuncher

When people tell me Fallout 4 is a good shooter, I wonder what game they played. It's not very good compared to any TPS or FPS mechanically.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I cant wait for the internet to turn on the Souls games / From (hell its already slightly starting lately with Bloodborne). Its going to be scrumptious.

mp1990

Banned
After 24 hours, I've finally got done with Crypt of the Necrodancer. God knows how much I trembled after dealing the last blow on the final boss, after getting stuck for more than 12 hours in the same zone. I've talked enough about it, but I seriously can't emphasize enough on how incredible this game is, and even if you're not keen on rhythm games, you owe yourself giving it a chance. The way it blends such distinct genres is just stunning, and seriously, even after all the infuriating moments I had with this game, I can't help but think it'll end up being one of my favorite games ever. Time for the Melody run I guess :p

Volimar

When people tell me Fallout 4 is a good shooter, I wonder what game they played. It's not very good compared to any TPS or FPS mechanically.

Calling it a shooter is misleading. You certainly can shoot things in it, but if you try to compare it to shooters it will fall flat because that's only part of what it is so it can't really bring to the table the same thing that dedicated shooters can. Fallout 4 has loads of problems, but I enjoy it quite a bit. I have 416 hours in it, and I'm still looking forward to more stuff like Wasteland Workshop, releasing this week, and the dedicated survival mode, releasing any day now.

Jawmuncher

I cant wait for the internet to turn on the Souls games / From (hell its already slightly starting lately with Bloodborne). Its going to be scrumptious.

I'm already there.

Calling it a shooter is misleading. You certainly can shoot things in it, but if you try to compare it to shooters it will fall flat because that's only part of what it is so it can't really bring to the table the same thing that dedicated shooters can. Fallout 4 has loads of problems, but I enjoy it quite a bit. I have 416 hours in it, and I'm still looking forward to more stuff like Wasteland Workshop, releasing this week, and the dedicated survival mode, releasing any day now.

I can see why people enjoy it. But I have had people tell me it stands up with other shooters. Which is just the oddest thing. As you said it's part of the gameplay but it's completely there. It's more than serviceable though.

zkylon

zkylewd
Modern AAA RPG design

Bethesda RPG design

i mean tbh the dialogue wheel thing is used in the witcher games and it was pretty great in alpha protocol and in the mass effect series, even if it wasn't super consistent. i didn't mind it in dragon age 2, were it not for the bad writing and generally bad story. or idk, the telltale games or whatever

the problem always comes down to bad writing it's not a problem of modern rpg design

Deitus

After 24 hours, I've finally got done with Crypt of the Necrodancer. God knows how much I trembled after dealing the last blow on the final boss, after getting stuck for more than 12 hours in the same zone. I've talked enough about it, but I seriously can't emphasize enough on how incredible this game is, and even if you're not keen on rhythm games, you owe yourself giving it a chance. The way it blends such distinct genres is just stunning, and seriously, even after all the infuriating moments I had with this game, I can't help but think it'll end up being one of my favorite games ever. Time for the Melody run I guess :p

Seconded. Such a great game.

One of these days I need to complete a Melody Run (I've beaten the final boss with her, but not in all zones mode). I don't think I'll ever be good enough to beat the game with Aria though, much less some of the harder characters.

Tellaerin

This is why I take everything with a grain of salt nowadays. No matter what game it is, there's always some numbnuts vomiting up a list of "ten reasons why it's a bad game and you're a bad person for liking it" or w/e. And then you have the love/hate cycles - everyone loves x and x is awesome, then the backlash arrives and suddenly everyone hates x and x is shit. None of it gives me a better idea of whether or not I'm going to like the game in question. It's just a lot of useless noise, and I find I'm better off using the time I'd spend reading it to actually play some games myself.

zkylon

zkylewd
i have mixed feelings about fallout 4

like, i completely approve of beth going as far as they can of the fallout formula if it leads to something more original that feels more appropriate to their abilities as a developer

i hated fallout 3 because of the writing and the poor rpg design, but i liked the environments, at least the early ones, and i could totally see myself playing a more shooter version of it

then comes fallout 4 and it's totally a more shooter version of it, but somehow the writing manages to be even worse, and now the environments are bland and boring. fallout 3's dc had a sense of atmosphere that i couldn't find in fallout 4's boston, no matter how pretty it is. and while the gameplay is much improved it's still not very much fun and they dialogue wheel feels like the most amateurish implementation of the system i've ever seen

but it was entertaining somehow, shooting stuff was alright and seeing all the fallout things i love rendered so beautifully and so full of detail was just good fan service, so i was planning on playing it more.

sadly, the loading times started turning insane for some reason so i dropped it

Grief.exe

i mean tbh the dialogue wheel thing is used in the witcher games and it was pretty great in alpha protocol and in the mass effect series, even if it wasn't super consistent. i didn't mind it in dragon age 2, were it not for the bad writing and generally bad story. or idk, the telltale games or whatever

the problem always comes down to bad writing it's not a problem of modern rpg design

The dialouge wheel system is fine, that's not what the article is referencing.

What they are discussing is RPG design that presents choices that have no effect on the outcome, think Bioware or Bethesda design. Alpha Protocol, Witcher, Pillars of Eternity (?), Vampire: Bloodlines would be good examples of games where you are presented narrative choices that actually have an effect on the gameplay.

Morrowind was damn good, a lot of the talent left after that game and now we are stuck with Todd Howard lol.

I'm judging on modern Bioware games at this point too. Clean up your tastes SteamGAF.

Eeeh RPGCodex alert but he's pretty much right on every point. Fallout 4 is a terrible RPG, terrible open world game and most of all terrible game by most metrics. It's extremely shallow, it has the worst dialog system in any modern game, but at least the world is nice every now and then.

Sure, I might have played my 50 hours wrong, but I couldn't care two shits about crafting, or the story (especially the main line story) and most missions were just grinding, shooting and grinding some more without any challenge. I know that there's a base for a good game somewhere in there because the high points are REALLY GOOD. They are just so far and in-between you really need to be more explorative than I was to find them.

This doesn't mean that someone else couldn't love the game and I totally understand those who did. But for me Fallout 4 didn't respect my time at all and thus I don't really have any respect for the game myself. I almost went for the DLC bait and switch for hopes of getting something better, but luckily someone talked me out of that in the DLC thread.

zkylon

zkylewd
The dialouge wheel system is fine, that's not what the article is referencing.

What they are discussing is RPG design that presents choices that have no effect on the outcome, think Bioware or Bethesda design. Alpha Protocol, Witcher, Pillars of Eternity (?), Vampire: Bloodlines would be good examples of games where you are presented narrative choices that actually have an effect on the gameplay.
i'm not sure if choices with no consequence is really a modern thing

i think the issue with modern rpgs is the tension between directed, "scripted" stories and the expectations from the genre of having an excessively wide array of options and reactivity

but mass effect actually has a ton of choices that change the outcome significantly, most quests allow choices in which you spare or execute people, you can change the entire future of alien races and have allies suicide or create lasting friendships with you. you can have characters that are mad about what you did in mass effect 1 show in 3, your background choice in character creation in me1 actually changes which quests you get, etc.

i have less of a memory of what happens in dragon age but i remember making big decisions with big outcomes and specially what my decisions meant for alistar as he showed up in dragon age 2 was pretty darned cool

none of these games are perfect, but i'd argue that the whole "no effect on the outcome" thing is a very exaggerated idea that is kind of strange considering i can't think of many games in which you have more control than these.

like fallout 2 is my favorite game and you can solve everything in a crazy number of ways but in the end you still always fight the enclave and it ends up the same. there's more options in every quest line but it's still just a number of options thing, not that there's no options at all. or the witcher 1 or bloodlines or pillars of eternity or planescape or even alpha protocol, they all converge at one point and they always just give you maybe 10 options to mass effect's 3

but i don't think that's necessarily bad, you had really limited options in deus ex too and that game is fantastic, and for something like mass effect a super directed sci fi epic is just the thing i want, and whenever i felt mass effect seriously fail it's been thanks to bad writing and generally bad rpg design (mass effect 3 specially), not necessarily that i felt constrained by my options. fallout 4 is a terrible rpg because they forced themselves to have 4 dialogue options even if they needed 2, and because beth can't write for shit. i wouldn't blame modern rpg design when something like mass effect actually creates stories and quests that are so damn compelling

and i've heard a lot of ppl talk about this outcome thing, but honestly i don't care so much about "outcomes" as i do of "actions". i kind of hate this strict separation of "rpg part" and "combat part" like the witcher does it, i want to be able to steal and sneak at will, to be able to sell someone live tnt like you could in fallout 2 and see them blow up, i want more disguise systems like in fallout new vegas, i want a locked door to be solvable in 6 different ways, i'm tired of rpg meaning dialogue choices and not gameplay choices.

that's the thing i miss from modern rpg design the most, and i see those issues in games i like a lot like the witcher 2, pillars of eternity and the latter parts of divinity original sin

i want more rpgs modeled after the first city of divinity original sin, i think that's probably some of the best rpg i've played in a long time, even if i don't really care for its world and story.

(sorry for ranty stream of consciousness post)

I got so overpowered in dark souls 2 that evidently I completely skipped the king I was supposed to pursue and killed the one after him instead according to the guide I checked after the fact.

I guess this game really is easier than the last one.

Lomax

i'm not sure if choices with no consequence is really a modern thing

i think the issue with modern rpgs is the tension between directed, "scripted" stories and the expectations from the genre of having an excessively wide array of options and reactivity

but mass effect actually has a ton of choices that change the outcome significantly, most quests allow choices in which you spare or execute people, you can change the entire future of alien races and have allies suicide or create lasting friendships with you. you can have characters that are mad about what you did in mass effect 1 show in 3, your background choice in character creation in me1 actually changes which quests you get, etc.

i have less of a memory of what happens in dragon age but i remember making big decisions with big outcomes and specially what my decisions meant for alistar as he showed up in dragon age 2 was pretty darned cool

none of these games are perfect, but i'd argue that the whole "no effect on the outcome" thing is a very exaggerated idea that is kind of strange considering i can't think of many games in which you have more control than these.

like fallout 2 is my favorite game and you can solve everything in a crazy number of ways but in the end you still always fight the enclave and it ends up the same. there's more options in every quest line but it's still just a number of options thing, not that there's no options at all. or the witcher 1 or bloodlines or pillars of eternity or planescape or even alpha protocol, they all converge at one point and they always just give you maybe 10 options to mass effect's 3

but i don't think that's necessarily bad, you had really limited options in deus ex too and that game is fantastic, and for something like mass effect a super directed sci fi epic is just the thing i want, and whenever i felt mass effect seriously fail it's been thanks to bad writing and generally bad rpg design (mass effect 3 specially), not necessarily that i felt constrained by my options. fallout 4 is a terrible rpg because they forced themselves to have 4 dialogue options even if they needed 2, and because beth can't write for shit. i wouldn't blame modern rpg design when something like mass effect actually creates stories and quests that are so damn compelling

and i've heard a lot of ppl talk about this outcome thing, but honestly i don't care so much about "outcomes" as i do of "actions". i kind of hate this strict separation of "rpg part" and "combat part" like the witcher does it, i want to be able to steal and sneak at will, to be able to sell someone live tnt like you could in fallout 2 and see them blow up, i want more disguise systems like in fallout new vegas, i want a locked door to be solvable in 6 different ways, i'm tired of rpg meaning dialogue choices and not gameplay choices.

that's the thing i miss from modern rpg design the most, and i see those issues in games i like a lot like the witcher 2, pillars of eternity and the latter parts of divinity original sin

i want more rpgs modeled after the first city of divinity original sin, i think that's probably some of the best rpg i've played in a long time, even if i don't really care for its world and story.

(sorry for ranty stream of consciousness post)

I think the reality is, the limitations of the past actually made it easier to have more options. When there's fewer animations, no recorded dialogue, and distant views, you can have "options" that need to be little more than a change in text and selection box. Now, you couldn't do those things without adding large volumes of created content. It's just like turn based combat, that was necessary to conserve computing power, but it actually made for an interesting tactical system that disappears once everything is continuous.

Another thing is a lot of what I consider jRPG design has seeped into western RPG design (at least on the AAA level). For me the big difference between jRPG and cRPG was that jRPG focused on story choice while cRPG focused on character and party choice.

All that said, there's still more great RPGs now than ever, from basically every genre and style. I know it's cool around here to throw shade at Bethesda or whatnot, but the success of those games also helps the market support games like Witcher 3 and PoE and Shadowrun.

I just realised that I haven't updated my GPU drivers since the middle of February and I'm still on 361.xx. Is it safe to update or has nVidia not fixed the problems that it was having? I want to be ready for Dark Souls 3 :p

Corpekata

Banned
Wait I thought the whole thing was that you were supposed to defeat four kings no? I finished the iron king but supposedly I should've taken a rat king out before him.

I guess that's a testament to how one's experience can vary I guess

No, rat fights are optional PVP covenant related, and they aren't even on the path to the Iron King.

Each of the Four Souls has their own path. The rats are on the path to the Rotten. They're not all Kings, just great souls.

Haunted

Selling cards is now a bit of a hassle with the extra steps Steam has introduced. Trying hard to make the cents not worth the effort.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just realised that I haven't updated my GPU drivers since the middle of February and I'm still on 361.xx. Is it safe to update or has nVidia not fixed the problems that it was having? I want to be ready for Dark Souls 3 :p

I'm on 364.72 and haven't had any issues.

Arthea

Gaming is just about having fun, if you have fun playing a horrible game, it's no one's business.

And it is a hobby, not a job, so you don't need to keep your opinion to yourself most of the time.

I do think that Bethesda games are horrible, yeah Morrowind included. Well, Mass Effect is less horrible than the rest, to be fair.

But then again many gamers hate puzzle games to the point that they want no puzzles in their games at all, me being on the opposite site of this argument all my life, taught me that not every opinion has to be expressed constantly, that's why I take no part in Bethesda games arguments usually.

I'm starting to fall into hidden object games.

Also, random keys.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bloodsports.TV -- MB-631AE125496DAFD0 - Taken by longlivegaming. 1 entrants total.
Mechanic Escape -- MB-2F19E4952A61FE70 - Taken by ExoSoul. 2 entrants total.
Phoenix Force -- MB-0AA79417E7D948A9 - Taken by Htown. 2 entrants total.

t1460323768z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom