• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Why would anyone want Obsidian on the Witcher? Game's fine as it is

every game could use some obsidian <3

Why, what's wrong with RPG Codex?
lots of people with very extreme views about rpgs being really unpleasant about rpg things.

like with everything, obviously not everyone at the site is like that but it's not the friendliest of places

i liked life is strange but little about that game gave me any confidence in dontnod's ability to make an rpg

specially since the writing in life is strange is kind of ehhhh

Don't worry, the troll's story doesn't end there. It never does, and that's what makes CDPR's questlines and consequences so good.

And re: engines... it's not about what they can accomplish, but what they do accomplish. The flexibility of Bethesda's engines is great for modding, which their games always need to fix their mistakes (and Bethesda has tried time and again to monetise) but it's held them back just as much, if not moreso compared to the competition. They've gone, what, four games now with the same shakey foundations?
shaky foundations or not obsidian used it to build new vegas which is imo the best rpg since troika

simulation is an important part of games for me and so i like engines like gamebryo even if they're bursting at the seams

even if it's up to modders to fix it, i respect the hell out of those foundations

Vampyr:

I'm in. I love when a game gives me a choice. Let me be a pacifist vampire ffs

Bloodlines got close to that. There were a few required kills for the storyline, but there were options to not kill for sustenance (like buying blood at the hospital, or feeding off rats.)

Watched the beginning 30 minutes of the SP campaign for Homefront: The Revolution from a live stream this past week...actually really liked it

I didn't realize the release date was on my birthday (May 17)...might be a present to myself if I can afford it

zkylon

zkylewd
i only care about it when pacifist is something other than just tranq gun instead of gun gun

bloodlines was a good example, if u didn't want to feed off live humans there were gameplay considerations that made it interesting

that leads to cool roleplaying rather than a meaningless achievement at the end

Decent game? Might check it out
one of the best crpgs of all time, very clunky gameplay but the story, atmosphere and the quests and all that are super duper good

there's also a fair bit of variety in which class you play the game as

a nosferatu is ugly so you can't let people see you or you lose masquerade points, a malkavian has some special crazy person dialogue choices, etc.

Decent game? Might check it out

Great writing. Superb voice acting (VV...don't even get me started. Her voice just drips.) Graphics were very good for the time (Source engine.) Tightly-woven horror setpiece. The combat is...janky at best. And it requires a patch to take care of most of the bugs.

More good than bad.

Woot finally got the Eternal God achievement in the original Binding of Isaac! Finally got a ??? hard mode run with decent devil room deals so I picked up brimstone and it was smooth sailing from there. Yeah I know I'm crazy late on this but I was seriously having the worst luck on all of my ??? runs for like months. It's seriously so hard to go back and play the original after Rebirth and Afterbirth too.

Can't believe tomorrow is 12th April. It's finally time for D
ivision v1.1.

Watched the beginning 30 minutes of the SP campaign for Homefront: The Revolution from a live stream this past week...actually really liked it

I didn't realize the release date was on my birthday (May 17)...might be a present to myself if I can afford it

Damn, I thought Homefront was a third person instead of FPS. Bummer.

kagamin

Because no one likes THAT game.

cfz0M8P.jpg

Shinobi's alt confirmed.

Who is Shinobi?

Tellaerin

Finished Bionic Commando.

The big reveal was a little silly, but I knew about it going in, and the devs were smart not to dwell on it. That scene drops, and then you're slaughtering dozens of soldiers and going all Kratos on an army of flying drones (and headbutting
Super Joe
to death, by the look of it). It was just one long adrenaline rush from the Mohole boss fight straight on through to the end. It's a damn shame that we'll never see a sequel (at least not from GRIN), because I'd've loved to have seen them build on what they did here.

After playing through the garden levels, I'm also kind of bummed that S-E pulled the plug on that Final Fantasy project GRIN was working on. They had some good environmental artists - the mix of modern/tech architecture and natural environments in those levels would've fit in well with the more recent FF's.

Teggy

That game is one of the strangest massive hits in gaming history, IMO. It's like everything that didn't work about Final Fantasy II amped up to insane levels. There's a decent game in there with some really memorable quests if you play it with OOO.

The original scaling method is broken as fuck. And I don't mean that in the sense that most gamers use to refer to something that can be gamed, or whatever, I mean that it makes no sense and eventually, as you're experiencing, gets to the point that it ruins the basic enjoyment of the game. It simply doesn't do whatever it is Bethesda was trying to do.

maybe mods? that's what happened to me in oblivion too, but i wasn't liking it much so wasn't too upset

I'm giving myself a shot to fix things legitimately - I am doing some other quests because if I can get my destruction up a few more levels I can use a much more powerful fire spell, which will hopefully work well on those vampires. Of course now I am inside an Oblivion gate trying to close it for a quest and I just ran out of arrows working my way up.

One would think as you level up they would start selling better weapons, but nope, same low damage steel arrows and whatnot.

This is definitely the opposite experience of what I had with Morrowind where I was silly powerful.

RPGCodex has a bit of a reputation but that article is on point. Some of the screenshots made me laugh too. Fallout 4 is a game without a soul. It's mechanically competent (for the most part) but it's completely let down by the horrible writing and dialog system.

Overwatch and Mirrors Edge 2 release on May 24th. You should find a way to shift your birthday and get those instead :p

I'm tempted to do a Mass Effect trilogy rerun in the future, and experience ME3 DLCs for the first time. But then I went back to ME3 spoiler thread, and was reminded how bad the writing was, might be a grind without datapad app and multiplayer. Maybe I should watch the Citadel DLC on YouTube instead.

Echoplx

I'm tempted to do a Mass Effect trilogy rerun in the future, and experience ME3 DLCs for the first time. But then I went back to ME3 spoiler thread, and was reminded how bad the writing was, might be a grind without datapad app and multiplayer. Maybe I should watch the Citadel DLC on YouTube instead.

Multiplayer was still pretty active when I played a few months ago. Also it's the best part of the game so just play that.

zkylon

zkylewd
damn the desert dungeon in stardew valley is no joke

i feel like i should get a kid but after dating everyone and seeing they're all likable people (except penny, fuck penny) i kind of don't wanna marry anyone

abigail would be the one if she had better scenes, maru's scenes are awesome and leah is pretty cool too and i liked sam and harvey's scenes but u know, i have way too much in common with abby not to marry her

see that's why i don't believe in monogamy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom