• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently don't have enough money in my account but if I preorder with my debit card, will it go through? Will it try to do a hold to see if I have enough money or will it be fine as long as I have the funds before it ships in June?

The only thing it might do is put a $1 pending transaction on the account to make sure the card is valid, and then that will go away.

You won't get charged, or attempted to get charged until it ships.

Krejlooc

Banned
For a new page - Technolust works.

The LT Revive patch is basically a general Unity patch. If you go to patch a game and don't see the binary folders, it's likely a unity game. Apply the patch to that game as if it were luckey's tale, then launch that game's executable and it'll work.

Conversely, if it's a UE4 game, use the revive injector patch, which involves dragging the executable into the revive injector (or setting it as a launch option).

Likely many games work right now. I've only tried 3 - Luckey's Tale, Dreamdeck, and Technolust. Someone needs to make a topic on this, this is really big. Just last week, this was only a proof of concept for Luckey's Tale only.

Tain

that means you used the revive injector. Use the LT patch.

And seriously, someone make a topic about this.

Xbox controller.

I'm gonna try and get the steam version of Project Cars working now.

No significant performance issues? It doesn't sound like there are.

This is exciting!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
For a new page - Technolust works.

The LT Revive patch is basically a general Unity patch. If you go to patch a game and don't see the binary folders, it's likely a unity game. Apply the patch to that game as if it were luckey's tale, then launch that game's executable and it'll work.

Conversely, if it's a UE4 game, use the revive injector patch, which involves dragging the executable into the revive injector (or setting it as a launch option).

Likely many games work right now. I've only tried 3 - Luckey's Tale, Dreamdeck, and Technolust. Someone needs to make a topic on this, this is really big. Just last week, this was only a proof of concept for Luckey's Tale only.

Edit: here we go, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1207486

Krejlooc

Banned
No significant performance issues? It doesn't sound like there are.

This is exciting!

It's still early. Asynchronous Time Warp isn't available in this version, but the dude talking on reddit makes it sound like it could be coming. This means Luckey's Tale judders in the second half of the first level when the camera is pulled back too far, but runs fine elsewhere (where it can presumably hit the required framerate).

Xbox controller.

I'm gonna try and get the steam version of Project Cars working now.

Yeah I got it working now thanks, though for some reason Xbox controller wigs out on me and can't really move in intro area, I remember having this problem on a previous build in the Matrix looking tutorial so doubt it's an issue with the injector.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It's still early. Asynchronous Time Warp isn't available in this version, but the dude talking on reddit makes it sound like it could be coming. This means Luckey's Tale judders in the second half of the first level when the camera is pulled back too far, but runs fine elsewhere (where it can presumably hit the required framerate).

I followed the instructions. Copied over the files, ran LT.EXE while SteamVR is running, and enabled outside sources.

I get a screen that says "no headset - please connect your headset"

EDIT: Rebooted my computer, exact same problem

I'm trying to read r/Vive, but there is so much "us vs them" bullshit going on its embarrassing and gets in the way of me actually learning anything. Are people's lives really this sad that they have to back brands like a sports team or a religion? Shit is tiring to read. I'm sure it's just as bad here with consoles and PC's, but I either don't go in those threads or when it pops up its easily ignored and filtered out by me. It just seems especially condensed when it comes to VR and the relatively small amount of people buying and talking about it online.

Nzyme32

I'm trying to read r/Vive, but there is so much "us vs them" bullshit going on its embarrassing and gets in the way of me actually learning anything. Are people's lives really this sad that they have to back brands like a sports team or a religion? Shit is tiring to read. I'm sure it's just as bad here with consoles and PC's, but I either don't go in those threads or when it pops up its easily ignored and filtered out by me. It just seems especially condensed when it comes to VR and the relatively small amount of people buying and talking about it online.

Same with /r/Oculus. Can't stand either if them, so don't even visit either of them anymore. Hopefully, eventually someone will make a subreddit that is a massive step away from that kind of thing.

Compsiox

Banned
Same with /r/Oculus. Can't stand either if them, so don't even visit either of them anymore. Hopefully, eventually someone will make a subreddit that is a massive step away from that kind of thing.

The PSVR subreddit will probably have very little fanboyism since there is no competing headset.

Just skip threads that are not about something relevant.

VR is VR. I'm glad to (eventually) be getting a Vive, and I think it's the best choice for me, but I don't see any reason to shit on the Rift or the people who get one. As long as no one pretends cardboard is a viable vr option I'm happy haha.

So Vive owners can run Oculus games even without a rift? ie they can download oculus store, set up an account and then just buy their games as normal (as if they had a rift)?

Man that would make me keep my Vive preorder if I could play Chronos in particular.

Water

Well, the Vive suddenly arrived and I've now ordered a proper desktop to go with it (6600K + Radeon R9 Nano). It'll take a week for building and delivery. Would the Vive work at all with a laptop with a Geforce 650M? Are some of the interesting experiences going to run well enough to make it worth setting up?

(I'll take the Vive home for the weekend and experiment with my personal desktop that at least has a GTX 960, but I only have laptops at work before the new desktop arrives.)

billeh

How do I crank the volume on this thing? I see the little slider in the Steam menu, but I need it hella loud for some AudioShield.

x3sphere

No performance issues with Lucky's Tale that I've noticed with my 980 Ti.

Game is really enjoyable. Surprised at how much I'm liking it.

Wallach

Yeah they're both pretty full up on their warrior quotas. The only reason I visit either of them is because news does tend to hit subreddits about as fast as anywhere on the internet.

There is a /r/VirtualReality subreddit which is more "general" but seems to not be very popular compared to the hardware-dedicated ones.

Evo X

YES, THERE IS A GOD!

Just got my shipment notification for a :06 order in Illinois. Should be here Friday.

Time to go an Steam shopping spree. See you on the other side VR GAF. :)

NWJvS3r.gif

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Dreams-Visions could you give this a try..this is quote from the reddit thread it sounds like things look different if you don't launch thru Steam

[–]wstephenson(eponymous) 6 points 19 hours ago

Elite looks phenomenal in the Vive if you don't open it through steam. Maybe that isn't what's happening here but my experience was much better.

[–]Infidaelity 2 points 15 hours ago

Then I will try that again today, hopefully it helps!

permalinksaveparentreportgive goldreply

[–]MasterDefibrillatorMASS 2 points 12 hours ago

Please report back with your findings, and good luck!

permalinksaveparentreportgive goldreply

[–]Infidaelity 1 point 2 hours ago

Tried it this evening.
If I don't have steamvr running and then start the ED launcher (from the game install iteself, not steam) and play the game it looks way better, suddenly I can read most of the text.
It has definately something to do with the steamvr-application being open.
But as far as I see it in the other comments FD support is already on it :)

YES, THERE IS A GOD!

Just got my shipment notification for a :06 order in Illinois. Should be here Friday.

Time to go an Steam shopping spree. See you on the other side VR GAF. :)

Got mine too! :04 order! I just got to try one in person yesterday at a VR meetup, and I'm excited!

Arulan

I really like the way Job Simulator handles your room-scale space. I think having the in-game barriers (the counters, walls, appliances, etc.) roughly correspond to the borders of your play area adds something to the experience.

Zaptruder

Banned
I really like the way Job Simulator handles your room-scale space. I think having the in-game barriers (the counters, walls, appliances, etc.) roughly correspond to the borders of your play area adds something to the experience.

Actually, I think Job Simulator just has a really small play space modelled - like the minimum recommended. My actual play space is larger than the boundaries of the activity area, and I can step into areas that... are unintended but suprisingly modelled (such as the seeing the restaurant entry and the street view outside it when I step through the fridge/pantry box in the kitchen scene).

Arulan

Actually, I think Job Simulator just has a really small play space modelled - like the minimum recommended. My actual play space is larger than the boundaries of the activity area, and I can step into areas that... are unintended but suprisingly modelled (such as the seeing the restaurant entry and the street view outside it when I step through the fridge/pantry box in the kitchen scene).

I believe they designed several layouts by hand, and depending on the size of your play area it scales to the nearest one.

So Vive owners can run Oculus games even without a rift? ie they can download oculus store, set up an account and then just buy their games as normal (as if they had a rift)?

Man that would make me keep my Vive preorder if I could play Chronos in particular.

Bruh, you don't buy hardware for launch titles. On any platform. In the history of ever.

il_fullxfull.809872023_sjjp.jpg

More room for controller movement. Victorians were just ahead of their time!

That would actually do a better job of keeping you from stepping on the cable than that dumb ring image, you'd need the distance between the attachment point on the ring and the floor to be way less than the radius of the ring to actually move the slack and keep from stepping on it.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
That would actually do a better job of keeping you from stepping on the cable than that dumb ring image, you'd need the distance between the attachment point on the ring and the floor to be way less than the radius of the ring to actually move the slack and keep from stepping on it.

Ha, I guess that's true. Could double as a pet bumper too if it was at the right height.

So as far as third party wrappers go, what is available for the Vive?

Also, someone mentioned F-Zero GX in VR. Does that mean there is a GC emulator that works with VR? Because Metroid Prime.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom