• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retail Perspective on Iterative Hardware (PS4K, Xbox1.5 etc)

Abdiel

With the total explosion of news we've received, after endless rumors and speculation regarding the PS4k/Neo, and the thus far rumored Xbox 1.5(whatever other term you'd like to pair with it for a mid-generation refresh), there's been quite a lot of commentary thrown around the boards regarding larger assumed 'trends' about buying habits in the various threads, and the sheer ignorance regarding many of these perspectives have led me to want to put some perspectives on things from a direct retail focus.

First off, some history, before working in the gaming section, I handled Mobile, so I do have direct experience handling Tablet and Cell phone sales for several years, on that side. I will however, try to not go into endless comparisons to the Cell phone marketplace.

First off, anyone assuming that the release of a premium model of the PS4k and so on, will suddenly lead to the normal model PS4 or XB1 going away, should never, ever talk about business/products again, because that's not how this works. Releasing a premium/high end SKU is catering to a higher end market, usually a tech-savvy market, who is willing to pay more to get more, while also giving you more market flexibility with your core product, and even allowing for it to lower in price on that.

Also, as an aside, people complaining about Sony not offering a trade in program, I would be shocked if both our stores or Gamestop and the like were not offering special trade-up (instead of 'trade-in', ah, marketing), deals to encourage adoption for your existing hardware. Reason being, that they can then re-sell that existing hardware on their own terms, or make profit in other ways, as trade ins are extremely lucrative profit margins.

Gaming hardware represents generally no profit margins for retailers, they're sold at cost, so getting special trade in promos to encourage them being moved and getting more product that can then be sold as pure money in the pocket back on top of any other margin add ons through things like protection plans and the like are all ways to encourage cyclical buying process. This is good for retailers. It encourages you to keep coming back, not be a static customer.

My next comment, on "Mass Market will totally reject this! It's going to totally fail!" Who the hell are you talking to? The Mass market adopts products perceived as having value based on specific reasoning, and that is up to Sony to justify it. Thus far, they've done an incredible job of selling the value of the core PS4 model. This would represent a premium option, sharing the existing library with new possibilities, and it's on Sony to make people want it. It is not hitting the reset button on the generation midway through a generation, you're not seeing a split user-base. I know exactly how to tell a customer what the difference would be. Pay a bit more, get more out of it, but you have the exact same library, play the same games as your friends. There's nothing lost for the existing market.

And most of those customers won't even care that there's a premium model *on* the market! They will see that a more costly model came out and ask why people would bother to pay more, even if it gives slightly prettier graphics. It's not going to matter, because the primary justification for most customers in the market, is the core balance of price and the fact that the games are coming to both.

A few of my regular customers have already talked with me about the rumors, and then the news today, and the general feeling from those that are savvy enough to be perusing sites and know about stuff like this is interest to see where it goes. There's very likely not going to be any push to try and replace the main SKU with this model, but it will be presented as the more 'awesome' model, perhaps, again, Marketing.

I had originally planned to wait til we had a bit more in the mill regarding the other hardware providers, but with how this was getting out of hand, I wanted to put some perspective from what we see here, on a daily basis.

Many of us were waiting for this post when you teased you may make the thread. It is so nice to get real, informative information from people in retail instead of some of the stuff being spewed in the plethora of threads on this topic.

I just don't understand the outrage. Aren't all electronics iteratively updated? Televisions, cellphones, modular components in PCs. I honestly prefer this route.

Schnauzer

I am glad you made this. This is spot on with how I feel.

If they can sell the value to me as a consumer, they have me. I'll keep my other PS4 for another room. I've already upgraded to 4K TV's, so I should be an easy sale.

Abdiel

Many of us were waiting for this post when you teased you may make the thread. It is so nice to get real, informative information from people in retail instead of some of the stuff being spewed in the plethora of threads on this topic.

I was planning on waiting awhile until we knew more about the Xbox plans, and maybe even the NX stuff, but this whole explosion just made me decide to put a cohesive post together. I hope it reads clearly enough. Let me know.

I just don't understand the outrage. Aren't all electronics iteratively updated? Televisions, cellphones, modular components in PCs. I honestly prefer this route.

I'm not really for or against it. It simply *is*. It's a market reality of the way we have technology now. Most things have a cycle available for them, and even if consoles got a single update mid-cycle option available, that's still much slower than almost everything else, and would allow for more optimization within that cycle with an premium option for those that want it. It doesn't take away from the other users.

Your sentiments echo one of my main points in all of this. The divide between the mass market and the deeper market. It is very clear that people on message boards still truly believe what they think and feel reflect the mass market. That isn't the case. At all.

border

It's just bad as a long term strategy. You are poisoning the well with your userbase, which is a terrible idea for a product line that essentially has a complete reset every 5-7 years.

Why should I buy a Playstation 5 if I suspect that Sony will just release a better model a couple years down the line? These incremental upgrades will prevent early adopters from signing on, and thus prevent/slow the userbase from reaching the critical mass necessary to support AAA development.

Bubba T

I see very little difference between consoles and PCs nowadays. They really both do the same thing, although PC's have a wider variety of games and are more easily upgradeable.

It's just bad as a long term strategy. You are poisoning the well with your userbase, which is a terrible idea for a product line that essentially has a complete reset every 5-7 years.

Why should I buy a Playstation 5 if I suspect that Sony will just release a better model a couple years down the line?These incremental upgrades will prevent early adopters from signing on, and thus prevent/slow the userbase from reaching the critical mass necessary to support AAA development.

If you want to play exclusive Sony platform games without waiting 3 years + . Not sure whats hard to understand. If all PS4 games work on base systems and the better versions just have some minor tweaks that work for the better due to better hardware, it's all sort of up to the consumer.

Daft Punk

Banned
Anybody in retail could have told you this. The general sentiment I've gotten from customers is that if plays games even better and comes in at a reasonable price, they will upgrade. People on GAF are calling doom and gloom, but this combined with PSVR and good word of mouth could propel Sony even faster than where they are right now. Good on Abdiel for putting his 2 cents in for us retail people.

Bsigg12

Why should I buy a Playstation 5 if I suspect that Sony will just release a better model a couple years down the line? These incremental upgrades will prevent early adopters from signing on, and thus prevent/slow the userbase from reaching the critical mass necessary to support AAA development.

I don't expect this to happen for Sony or Microsoft moving forward. Now that they've moved away from super exotic builds for consoles, being able to maintain compatibility will change the way consoles are brought to market and when they are.

I haven't been following the threads that much but were there really people who thought this would be bad from a retail perspective? If so lol.

Boke1879

Thanks OP, I don't understand how it could be vad for the videogame industry. People fear changes.

I'm simply interested in seeing how this plays out. I'm also interested in a Neo as well. I think as far as the PS4 goes this doesn't really change anything. The plans and guidelines Sony laid out alleviate a lot of fears people had. Now it's on them to send out a message in a cohesive manner.

Offer this for $400 and offer the base model for $250-$300 and sell Neo for $400. The PS4 sells regardless.

Abdiel

Sigh.

It's not a terrible long term strategy. It's a totally reasonable strategy, it just doesn't appeal to you, because you don't like the idea. More than a few customers are ecstatic with the idea that they'll be able to get a more potent system without having to wait all the way through to the end of a generation. Still playing the same games, but with improvements, is a great opportunity to the audience that this is being marketed to.

You are clearly not this market. So don't think about it as though you are.

The existing, core system, will continue to be receiving the exact same games it always was going to, at the exact same performance it always was going to. Nothing has changed for you, as the consumer type you are. For the consumer with interest in premium product options, this is a boon, and a great option. This is aimed at them. That's totally okay. Don't take this personally, as though they are in any way slighting you.... Because they're not.

It's a totally reasonable, rational, and feasible business strategy for almost every product on the market today. I see no reason why it will be any different for gaming hardware, as long as Sony markets it correctly.

I see very little difference between consoles and PCs nowadays. They really both do the same thing, although PC's have a wider variety of games and are more easily upgradeable.

You're open to PC gaming that way though. And that's okay, right? I have no interest in gaming on a PC. Never will. Zero interest. Most of my customers have zero interest, you'll never get them anywhere near that perspective. This is an enthusiast board, and we get a very exclusive perspective, with a lot of insular mindset from folks. That's a big part of why I made this post. PC gaming is not going to have any influence on this SKU release.

Anybody in retail could have told you this. The general sentiment I've gotten from customers is that if plays games even better and comes in at a reasonable price, they will upgrade. People on GAF are calling doom and gloom, but this combined with PSVR and good word of mouth could propel Sony even faster than where they are right now. Good on Abdiel for putting his 2 cents in for us retail people.
It's gonna all depend on your customer base and area. Someone who bought a PS4 for this past Christmas might be more upset than someone who got one at launch.

Krakin

Abdiel, thank you so much for this thread. After seeing Colin lose his shit over at Kinda Funny, it's good to hear a clear voice of reason in the midst of all the babble. My ps4 still works! It will still work no matter what they do with the ps4K. I sold my frickin' day one model to get the all matte one. This is a NON ISSUE!

cordy

Banned
I used to work in retail for 5 years, electronics in a major retail outlet in the US. After hearing this you know what the first thought that came into my mind was? "Wow, people are going to eat this up". That's honestly it because regardless what I'm seeing many gamers are saying, the masses in my experience love this type of thing. I can't tell you the amount of people that randomly came to the store asking about the newest major electronics device and this isn't purely because it's a "new device", I'm talking upgrades. I was there when Apple started dominating the market with their ipods and ipads, I was there when Microsoft came out with the "Xbox Arcade" while the standard kept selling tons. Most people these days just don't mind the upgraded versions of electronics because it's the "new hotness", someone will always want it, people are always looking. Hell, I remember the Wii launch and seeing people showing up to buy those things with only Wii Sports without knowing what it did simply because it was new. A great amount of them thought it was a "Super Gamecube". I mean, that's just how things are.

If people are buying upgrades to their phones, Apple product and others yearly then this is nothing, they'll do the same especially with trade-in values.

I'm also someone who bought a PS4 on launch and yes I'll upgrade within probably the first few months or so. Personally depends on when I'll get my new tv but I'll bite.

Welfare

Thank you so much, Abdiel. So many people like to think that their personal opinion on a topic is representative of the mass market, but in actuality, NeoGAF is a niche community.

These iterative consoles will succeed.

You're not locked into hardware. If there's a PS5.5, then at that point you decide whether or not the upgrade is worth it to you, and then can either keep your PS5 or sell it/trade it in for PS5.5. People act like their investment has somehow become worthless despite being able to play games this entire time and still being able to play games after a new model comes out.

dr_rus

Well, maybe their idea is to have the previous gen as a fall back solution for a start of a new "half-gen" meaning that there won't be a "PS5" per se but just another update to PS4 which will be some 2x faster than PS4K and games for that will be able to run on both PS4K and PS4K2. So if you're into consoles because of their ability to run games for 5+ years this won't change but new h/w launches will be less risky because games will always have to support not only new but a previous version of the platform as well - and this will help them sell better.

What's new in that case is that consoles won't be fixed platforms anymore and their updates will be far less disruptive - up to the point where changing the GPU to a different IHV may actually be an issue.

I've no idea how consumers will interpret that change and if they'll even like it. I personally don't plan on getting PS4K close to launch like I did with PS4 but I might get it somewhere down the road if PS4K2/PS5 won't be out by that time.

Why buy anything then? Every luxury item you buy will have a better version sooner than later. And to answer your question more directly because you want to enjoy games when they come out, and with this new model you will likely have many more cross gen games than last time which may make it easier to hold off for that mid gen upgrade. Again all of this is more options, which mass consumers are usually receptive to. The base model dropping to $249-$299 would actually create a feeling that they are getting a bargain thanks to the premium model. "You mean it plays all the same games, just not as pretty? Sold!"

The hardest argument to combat is that developers will lax on the base model. To which I say they better not if they want to sell games. The base models are going to be 75% or greater the user base. Mass market as I said before are price sensitive and much more savvy than many give them credit so they can smell a dud when it happens and won't fork over their money. See AC Unity. Hyrule Warriors on og 3DS was a mess, yea and it didn't sell well either. There is too many good games made by great developers to waste time and money on a poorly made game.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Most of those examples ignore that the real situation is the media, the software, not the hardware. That's one of the selling points of the traditional console. Buy the hardware and then forget about hardware till the next generation. Buy a console and then know you've got ~5 years of software coming down the pipe for it, or that is how it used to be for the "winning" platform in a given generation.

Until recently phone software wasn't really a thing. You bought a new phone because the old one broke and the newer models were smaller, lighter, better battery life, etc. So that is a bad comparison.

Televisions have backwards compatibility, assuming you have a player that can decode whatever your media is. You can watch VHS tapes on a 4k display if you want to. The TV isn't a platform anymore, it is a peripheral for whatever you've got streaming content to it. So that is a bad comparison.

With PCs it is a choice, you can buy a PC every 3-5 years and not upgrade anything if you want, for an experience---at least in terms of hardware investment---that is similar to the traditional console experience. Or you can periodically upgrade individual components to remain at the cutting edge. PC gives you the choice while doing so much more than a console ever could or ever will(the day the console can do everything a PC can it isn't a console anymore, is it?). So again, another bad comparison.

The people outraged are those looking at shorter console generations and longer software development cycles which at a very basic level means smaller libraries of software to choose from while paying more for hardware in some/many cases, and more often. Their console of choice wasn't "outdated" until the next generation came along. It has been my experience that every generation of console that comes out I end up with fewer titles purchased in a given generation.

While there may be benefits to this new approach to consoles you can't really expect people to be happy with giving up some/many of the benefits of the traditional model.

Welfare

The phone market should be dead with this mentality, but it isn't, and that is YEARLY.

IKizzLE

Your definitely not the market for this. But I certainly am. I will probably buy the ps5 at launch and then whatever 2-3 year iteration that comes up.

Curufinwe

No it's not. You're projecting your personal feelings on to the marketplace.

border

Why buy anything then? Every luxury item you buy will have a better version sooner than later.

Because for consoles I could reasonably assume getting the best possible performance for 5+ years? People don't mind product cycles, but it's dangerous to accelerate them beyond what the market will bear.

Solid post OP.

I never quite understood why some people were so enraged about this.

If this PS4K releases and the games that release are both playable on both systems and the only difference is an increase in graphical fidelity -and ONLY- that then I don't see why folks would be upset.

Want the better graphics? Get a PS4K.

I could see an argument being made if there's exclusive content or features to PS4K is one thing, but so far all indications is that Sony is working against that.

I agree. Thank heavens for Abdiel.

MogCakes

My prediction is the Neo will make OG adoption skyrocket, if Sony lowers the price. They'd be stupid not to. I'm not convinced the Neo will have any notable advantages in game performance vs OG beyond framerate increases, save for the few AAA games that will inevitably take advantage of it, and don't see the appeal of dropping $400 or more just for that. Stranger purchasing decisions are made daily around the world though, so who am I to judge? I'll see how this plays out. Nobody knows how the market will react to it yet.

cordy

Banned
Parents are going to be confused as fuck.

They'll surely eat this up. If there's one thing I know it's that "graphics" is one of the first words kids these days learn. Graphics is something adults who don't play games usually go to. You say "yeah it'll have better graphics" it'll be an easy purchase for them. Casuals all love graphics.

IKizzLE

Because for consoles I could reasonably assume getting the best possible performance for 5+ years? People don't mind product cycles, but it's dangerous to accelerate them beyond what the market will bear.

But how do you know what the market will bear? Have you done market analysis for today's market or are you going off of what has happened in the past?

The God

You're open to PC gaming that way though. And that's okay, right? I have no interest in gaming on a PC. Never will. Zero interest. Most of my customers have zero interest, you'll never get them anywhere near that perspective. This is an enthusiast board, and we get a very exclusive perspective, with a lot of insular mindset from folks. That's a big part of why I made this post. PC gaming is not going to have any influence on this SKU release.

Why not?

Bsigg12

We have no idea what the market can handle especially since we're coming off an extremely long console generation.

IKizzLE

Parents are going to be confused as fuck.

If parents weren't confused with buying an S7 or S7 edge, or any other tech device that has two sku's, why will this be any different? It's 2016, not 2006, this type of product diversification isn't a foreign concept to the target market.

The base PS4 would still fulfill your 5+ year criteria with this.

Curufinwe

Sigh.

It's not a terrible long term strategy. It's a totally reasonable strategy, it just doesn't appeal to you, because you don't like the idea. More than a few customers are ecstatic with the idea that they'll be able to get a more potent system without having to wait all the way through to the end of a generation. Still playing the same games, but with improvements, is a great opportunity to the audience that this is being marketed to.

You are clearly not this market. So don't think about it as though you are.

The existing, core system, will continue to be receiving the exact same games it always was going to, at the exact same performance it always was going to. Nothing has changed for you, as the consumer type you are. For the consumer with interest in premium product options, this is a boon, and a great option. This is aimed at them. That's totally okay. Don't take this personally, as though they are in any way slighting you.... Because they're not.

It's a totally reasonable, rational, and feasible business strategy for almost every product on the market today. I see no reason why it will be any different for gaming hardware, as long as Sony markets it correctly.

Are you available to be a guest on the next Giant Beastcast? They have a lot of trouble reconciling their personal gaming preferences of playing on PC as much as possible with the reality of the mass market.

morpix

It makes total sense. I was on board even when the MS rumour mill started.

Now, my only question is, will XB1.5 be more powerful than PS4K?
My cross-platform buying goes to the most powerful console, so that's the more important factor for me.

nib95

Banned

How often do you buy a new main television? And I bet the only reason you change your phone so often is because it's subsidised through contracts, tariffs etc. Also, most people don't actually change their PC components every 2-3 years, except the enthusiast market, or if a component actually fails. People need to stop comparing consoles to other iterative technologies, they are not the same thing. One of the main draws of console gaming has been the value for money and longevity of the console hardware cycles, as well as the closed platform focus, and knowing your money will go a longer way. With older console cycles, slim models were generally introduced around this time frame, but that didn't impede on vanilla users quite the same way, as the hardware and gaming performance itself was exactly the same, so those older customers never felt left behind. This new iterative direction changes that.

With all that being said, I don't think the PS4K will necessarily fail, in-fact I feel it'll probably do quite well. I do however think Sony is also going to garner a lot of ill will from existing customers, and a large swath of their consumers will see less value in future purchases of their console products. At the end of the day, for the casual consumer, why buy a PS5 if there is a risk of PS5.2 only a few years later? You either just wait for the new version to buy the more powerful hardware, or wait for the new version to pick up the older machine for dirt cheap. Either way, I think this iterative strategy may prevent Sony from having the same sort of initial momentum it did with the PS2, PS4 etc, with new console releases.

Bubba T

Right. I'm just giving my perspective. PC gaming is still thought of as a niche in itself, that's why the PC section in your store is probably smaller than your console side (if it even exists at all). Considering the lines between both platforms have became duller over the past decade, I think someone who can navigate a console can go through some of the basics of installing and playing a PC game.

But anyway, I'm getting far off the topic. Someone in this thread already mentioned something about iterative upgrades like iPhones (which are more expensive than consoles). I don't think it will be quite the same since we are comparing a mobile device to a home console, but as long as these new consoles don't segment their userbase when it comes to actually playing games together, it should be fine.

Daft Punk

Banned
It's gonna all depend on your customer base and area. Someone who bought a PS4 for this past Christmas might be more upset than someone who got one at launch.

Which is why it sounds like Sony wants to do everything they can to make sure people understand that keeping your original PS4 isn't going to affect you. This is sounding more and more like 3DS/N3DS. The only reason why people are getting upset is because they just spent $350-400 and feel like they are getting swindled.

border

But how do you know what the market will bear? Have you done market analysis for today's market or are you going off of what has happened in the past?

I'm going to guess that nobody here has done the market analysis for today's console marketplace, and is just speculating based mostly on intuition and history.

MuchoMalo

Banned

To be fair, the difference here is that people generally choose consoles over PC because they feel that they will last longer and off more value for the money. That's why a lot of people were talking about moving to PC over his move.

The phone market should be dead with this mentality, but it isn't, and that is YEARLY.

The phone market is a totally different ballgame. Right now we're seeing this weird unpredictable place in smartphones. Apps still target the lowest common denominator. Mobile games might be capable of prettier graphics but they hold back to run on everything. The amount of apps targeting the newest devices only - or even enhanced functionality - is miniscule.

I bought the PS4 with the intent of sitting there for five years. But my pessimism tells me that the base PS4 will get the short end of the stick and the games on the platform will begin to decline in performance. It's what happens every time new console hardware comes out.

Basically, I don't have a choice if I want decently performing games. Unless the PS4K bombs or is generally ignored. I have no faith in the industry's ability to make well performing games for both the PS4 and the PS4K.

Top Bottom