• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most original gameplay you have played?

Tarsul

gotta add The Last Express. An adventure where the time moves in real-time. Meaning you have to get to know where each character is at what time to do this and that. It's quite astonishing how it all comes together (yes, this means you often come to a bad ending - but you can save/load anytime and put the clock forward if need be). Also, the graphics are quite beautiful.

Really left an impression on me. Sad that it hasnt been successful. At least there has been a remake (or port) for smart devices (maybe apple products only), so it's either playable from there or from something like gog.

Space Giraffe.

People complained about the visuals, but honestly, you could probably play a good portion of that game with your eyes closed as a huge part of the game required you to pay attention to sound queues and not visual ones.

Alpha Protocol still has the best dialogue and branching path system of any game ever.

Hmmm, this is a tough question.

Some games that spring to mind:
- Flower

- Super Mario 64, at its time of course

- Super Smash Bros 64

- Pokémon Red/Blue, I'd not really played any JRPGs before

- Assassins Creed

- Jet Set Radio, Future was the first I played

Honourable Mentions to Super Mario Galaxy and Splatoon

I loved Valkyria Chronicles. It may have been an incremental change in the traditional TBSRPG gameplay, but I can't recall ever having played anything that perfectly merged real time and traditional SRPG mechanics similarly. It was a revelation to me.

killatopak

Catherine.

catps3_thumb.png

This.

Speely

Banned
Portal immediately came to mind, so I was not dissapointed by the OP :)

Some great others ITT. Another that was super original for me was Virtual On. Controlling a mech with the twin sticks in combat felt completely new and awesome to me. I would love another... Sega should just do it as a VR game. Traversal solved!

Shadow of the Colossus. Not since the original Tomb Raider was grabbing a staple in the platforming mechanic. On top of that, it is the foundation of operating in a dynamic character be it horse or colossi.

The world ends with you because I've never played a game where you had to manage two screens simultaneously. Other games have came out that use this but haven't had the chance to play this.

sono

Gold Member
Personally speaking the following games felt truly original at first play-through

Doom
Unreal
Half Life
Portal
Resistance Fall of Man
LittleBigPlanet
Darksiders
Nier

Salty Hippo

Uncharted. Such fluid gameplay, the maps and player movement all mesh together very well, add the solid camera it presents and you have a great experience...

I'm not questioning that it's a great experience, but Uncharted is the game with the most original gameplay you've ever seen? Like, for realsies?

Rockstars Bully was pretty unique, learning to fight and using things like sling shots and stink bombs instead of more violent weapons was pretty funny and interesting. Having everyday be like a school day with classes and avoiding prefects when you were bunking was ingenious.

I want a sequel :(

peakish

gotta add The Last Express. An adventure where the time moves in real-time. Meaning you have to get to know where each character is at what time to do this and that. It's quite astonishing how it all comes together (yes, this means you often come to a bad ending - but you can save/load anytime and put the clock forward if need be). Also, the graphics are quite beautiful.

Really left an impression on me. Sad that it hasnt been successful. At least there has been a remake (or port) for smart devices (maybe apple products only), so it's either playable from there or from something like gog.
Very nice pick! It's a very neat game, but takes a lot of effort from the player. I actually haven't beaten it, but I really respect what it accomplished with it's real-time gameplay.

I'd otherwise nominate Papers, Please, although there seems to be quite a few of these paper pushing simulators going around these days. Still, I've rarely played a game that interweaves a narrative, themes and decision making with it's gameplay quite like PP does.

Braid was another eye-opener, again on the topic of rewinding time but in a platformer setting.

soheil

So I wrote down games published or developed by SEGA, mentioned in this thread. :

Resonance of Fate
NiGHTS into Dreams.
Jet Set Radio
Crazy Taxi
Billy Hatcher
Vanquish
Valkyria Chronicles
Seaman
Ecco the dolphin
The Typing of the Dead
Sega Bass Fishing
Alpha Protocol
Virtual On

these just simply shows how they used to be great ,specially being open to original ideas.

I myself want to add Alien Isolation from this generation to this list.

Aters

The World Ends with You
I beat the game, yet I'm still not quite sure how it plays.

edit: how can I forget Valkyria Chronicles.

antitrop

GTA3 it was unlike anything else when it first came out.
Other than GTA 1 and 2.

GTA III was so amazing, because it felt like exactly what the first two games had been striving to achieve, but it just took until 2001 for the technology to finally catch up and meet with their ambition.

Rathorial

Thief: The Dark Project - was utterly unique when it came out, and still has features I've yet to see in any other game. AI alone do things I never see in other games.

Bulletstorm - It is the first shooter I've played seemingly designed from the ground up around performing combos. A unique kick and whip that slow-mo suspend characters to make it possible to perform them, with a large suite of unique multi-function weapons, enemies with positional damage that tracks crotch shots, and an array of alien environment hazards. Also one of the only FPSs with a not-terrible boss fight.

Super Time Force - unique take on time manipulation to essentially stack ghost runs of your previously controller side-scrolling shooter guys. It requires I think differently to win vs. any other shooter I've ever played.

SUPERHOT - another shooter that makes me think completely differently, with a world that moves only as you do, and has this amazing flow that is among the best hybrid I've ever seen between turn-based and real-time.

Homeworld - the first RTS I've ever seen take real advantage of 3d space, with a unique campaign structure that features a moving through space mothership producing units, and resources + units carry over to the following missions. It's a different experience from anything else in its genre.

Deus Ex - A unique Action/RPG that prioritized player choice/agency to a such a degree most games still don't get close to. Stealth, hacking, combat, conversation, a wide range of abilities in non-linear levels just provide this amazing diversity of play that truly can be a different experience multiple playthroughs.

XCOM - It takes a premise of alien invasion, and builds a strategy game around unique aspects of that premise. Harvesting aliens to gain attributes of their technology, persistent troops that can die without the game ending, responding to crisis around the world, dealing with your own base getting invaded, and tactical combat that allows for an excessive amount of dynamism.

Magicka - Pretty simple, because it created a system where you craft an incredible myriad of spells from elements on the fly. I've seen nothing else like it.

Gunpoint - Unique approach to infiltration through re-wiring the level you're in.

Invisible Inc. - Another utterly unique cyberpunk turn-based stealth game where you have few to often no lethal tools at your disposal, can leave a mission failing it without the game ending, sit on top of guys pinning them in a knocked out state, and exploration utterly essential to gameplay.

Transistor - unique hybrid of turn-based and real-time combat, that can be played full in one or the other depending on how you spec a character. The way you can slot abilities around to stack effects is something I haven't quite seen in anything else yet.

F.E.A.R. - horror FPS hybrid with a unique mix of slow-mo essential to deal with AI design I had never seen before on release, and hasn't been done better imo since.

Smash Bros. - A unique take on a fighting game with platform elements, a unique health and ring-out system, and unlike other fighting games incredibly easy to pick up.

Others:
  • Audiosurf
  • Brutal Legend
  • Chime
  • Company of Heroes
  • Crysis
  • Don't Starve
  • Door Kickers
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • The Banner Saga
  • Far Cry 2
  • FTL