• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank |OT| The Game based on the Movie based on the Game

Apt101

I guess I am about 25% through the game. It is phenomenal looking. The gameplay is OK, pretty much what one would expect. Some of the huge set pieces are elaborate. The cinematics - eh, I guess it's geared towards small children. Kind of goofy.

Well worth $40 or whatever I paid for it.

pixelation

A gold bolt in Kalbeo III is glitched, it's the one that is on a balcony that you see when the level begins, it was the first one i got in that level. But then i got the Map-O-Matic and... it still had the gold bolt showing in that location. I went back there and its empty, left the planet and came back and it still says that i'm missing one gold bolt but it's not there... T_T

Qwark

Any advice for beating the races in under 1:35 and 2:05? It's ridiculous.

If you have the gold bolts, you can cheat :p. The invicibility cheat really helps, as does slower game speed, but that one isn't totally necessary. The 2:05 is actually fairly easy to hit without cheats, just need to make sure you hit the shortcuts every time.

If you have the gold bolts, you can cheat :p. The invicibility cheat really helps, as does slower game speed, but that one isn't totally necessary. The 2:05 is actually fairly easy to hit without cheats, just need to make sure you hit the shortcuts every time.
You don't even need to hit both of the shortcuts, just the first one is sufficient.

NDPsycho

Yeah, this helps big. Also on the first, just keep filling and using boost by hitting the pads and rings, hitting the crates for coins and landing tricks whenever possible. On second race do the same but use shortcuts.

Kyrios

If you have most of the upgrades for your weapons and you enter an area with a lot of enemies you get Raritanium so fast. You can also change the difficulty to respawn at a checkpoint, kill all the enemies again and collect even more raritanium. You keep the ones before you change the difficulty.

I did that in the area with the green Amoebi(?) and the exterminators fighting each other. Kill a bunch, leave a couple alive and change the difficulty. Rinse and repeat :)

Oh wow I didn't know about that, that's awesome! Thanks a ton, I'll try that tonight!

EDIT: Got my plat! Thanks for the advice!

Bebpo

Banned
Feel like I'm getting towards the end of the game, and as someone who jumped into the series with Tools and played all the games since that point, but not the originals, I like this one, but don't love it. What I like are the solid core platforming/exploration, tons of planets, good combat, some funny jokes and of course great art, graphics, animation and music.

What I feel more lukewarm on is that all just feels too much of the same with not much innovation. The weapons are mostly the same, the walk on walls boots and grind rails were new & exciting for me in ToD (not sure if they were in the PS2 games), here they feel been there, done that. The jetpack was awesome, fresh and exciting in Into the Nexus, but here it just felt like a retread of Into the Nexus, complete with the same fly around and hunt/collect stuff angle.

And the Clank puzzles were fun for the first couple, until it's clear the puzzle system in this one has very little depth compared to some of the better Clank puzzle system in the series. Also the combat seems easier than usual, but maybe I'm just used to how to play these games at this point.

In the PS4 games, each new entry felt like gameplay-wise it brought something to the series like how Into the Nexus was a short game, but had stuff like the Jetpack which really changed R&C gameplay up or A Crack in Time had space exploration, etc...The PS4 looks great, plays great, and is fun, but for me it's just missing something interesting to make it stand out.

Maybe it's because it's a remake, but I'm under the impression most of the gameplay systems are new, so it's not like they couldn't have come up with some new fresh gameplay ideas besides a few new weapons.

Still a quality game, but unless the post-game/challenge mode stuff is amazing, probably put it behind Crack in Time and Into the Nexus for me.

thenexus6

You can put cheats on and still get the trophies?

Elixist

Feel like I'm getting towards the end of the game, and as someone who jumped into the series with Tools and played all the games since that point, but not the originals, I like this one, but don't love it. What I like are the solid core platforming/exploration, tons of planets, good combat, some funny jokes and of course great art, graphics, animation and music.

What I feel more lukewarm on is that all just feels too much of the same with not much innovation. The weapons are mostly the same, the walk on walls boots and grind rails were new & exciting for me in ToD (not sure if they were in the PS2 games), here they feel been there, done that. The jetpack was awesome, fresh and exciting in Into the Nexus, but here it just felt like a retread of Into the Nexus, complete with the same fly around and hunt/collect stuff angle.

And the Clank puzzles were fun for the first couple, until it's clear the puzzle system in this one has very little depth compared to some of the better Clank puzzle system in the series. Also the combat seems easier than usual, but maybe I'm just used to how to play these games at this point.

In the PS4 games, each new entry felt like gameplay-wise it brought something to the series like how Into the Nexus was a short game, but had stuff like the Jetpack which really changed R&C gameplay up or A Crack in Time had space exploration, etc...The PS4 looks great, plays great, and is fun, but for me it's just missing something interesting to make it stand out.

Maybe it's because it's a remake, but I'm under the impression most of the gameplay systems are new, so it's not like they couldn't have come up with some new fresh gameplay ideas besides a few new weapons.

Still a quality game, but unless the post-game/challenge mode stuff is amazing, probably put it behind Crack in Time and Into the Nexus for me.

good impressions, i pretty much agree. i'd add an extra point for the graphics becuz they are spectacular at times, so it makes overly familiar things like rail grinding look amazing. they played it safe and it paid off this time so grats to them. hopefully they can go crazy if they make another.

Pretty disappointed by this. The cutscenes were unbearably kiddy, gameplay was unchallenging, weapon upgrade system felt tedious and unrewarding, level design and pacing has taken a massive step backwards from crack in time.

You can put cheats on and still get the trophies?

Yeah but to be honest the cheats don't really do much, you need to get all the gold bolts to unlock Infinite Health and Infinite ammo but that means you need to have pretty much completed the game anyway! And if you use Infinite Health and ammo you can't get the max health and max weapon level trophies as they won't increase while the cheat is active.

Loads of the PS3 games are on sale in the EU now. Just grabbed the Trilogy HD, Gladiator HD, Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty for just under £23 and will be playing them all for the first time.

nib95

Banned
Got this finished in time for Uncharted 4. Loved my time with it. Just a big bag of super polished over the top giddy fun. Loved the weapons, mechanics, visuals, art, characters, worlds etc. And by the end with the maxed out Buzz Blades, Sheepinator and finally, level 5, somewhat skill tree upgraded Ryno, I was straight dominating. Felt OP, but in a good way. In-fact the very final boss was an absolute cake walk with my upgraded Ryno. Even though it completely took out the challenge, there was something super satisfying about it still. It was a cathartic moment where all of my time investment in collecting everything, upgrading things etc, finally paid off and I just felt like a complete and total badass. Anyway, this is a must buy imo, especially for the money.

vypek

Yeah but to be honest the cheats don't really do much, you need to get all the gold bolts to unlock Infinite Health and Infinite ammo but that means you need to have pretty much completed the game anyway! And if you use Infinite Health and ammo you can't get the max health and max weapon level trophies as they won't increase while the cheat is active.

I'm not totally sure of this. I leveled up Ratchet a gold amount of times while infinite HP was on. The weapon experience definitely turned off though

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The
Ryno
is a beast !

Just started my
Challenge Mode
run, so friggin' fun.
Also it's pretty frickin' amazing when you have gazillion' enemies and you activate Mr Zurkon, the Groovitron, Agents of Doom, the Proto Drum and the Sheepinator at the same time.

I did a Groovitron pseudo-speed run (with invincibility/infinite ammo) last night to finish off the Platinum. My broken, sloppy gameplay managed to crash the game a couple of times; I'd throw a couple of Omega Groovibombs and then just run forward, over and over and over, and I guess I'd leave so many bolts behind me that the PS4 couldn't handle it anymore. I had a blast using nothing but Groovibomb + Pixelizer HD (and a little RYNO) the whole time. This is my fourth time playing through the game, and it makes me want to dig my PS3 games out of storage and rediscover those as well.

My wife is addicted too. She's almost finished with her first playthrough, is meticulously leveling up all her weapons, and wants to do a Challenge run next.

Blinck

Played a bit and was surprised about being able to adapt to the 30fps very quickly. Obviously would be better at 60 but I thought I would notice it a lot more in a game like this.
Can't say if it's a worthy trade off or not but holy fucking shit the graphics are just insane.
Breaking those boxes never looked so good :D

RyType

Had so much fun with this game I tried hunting down the older games so I could play through perhaps another one before Uncharted 4 next week. Picked up Tools of Destruction, The HD trilogy, Crack in Time and a Quest for booty- anything I'm missing?

Never played a ratchet game before (I don't know why since I like the colourful platformer type games) I've only played through Tools of Destruction so far but I think I may have enjoyed it more than the 2016 game.

Is that one of the spin offs? strange, I don't see a lot of people talking about it. I keep hearing good things about Crack in Time
It's part of the main series but shorter and less ambitious than a traditional R&C game. You can definitely beat it in an evening if you're determined.

kyser73

I love this game simply because I've actually finished it.

This is a rare thing these days.

Oh, and that it was a super-fun platformer which looks gorgeous and has a great sense of humour.

RyType

I'll try and find Nexus, short games don't bother me if its fun, I spent at least a good couple of days replaying both Tools of destruction and Ratchet 2016. I may try going through the PS2 trilogy next. Not sure why I didn't get into this series much sooner...

As much as I want a new game, I kind of want them to remake 2 and 3. Those games upgraded to these visuals and mechanics would be pretty incredible.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I was terrified of doing the hoverboard races thanks o so many of you complaining about them, but the 2.05 I did in one shot and the 1.35 took a bit of work but each time I failed I knew it was my fault.

I did them both post patch though so that could be it yeah?

I was terrified of doing the hoverboard races thanks o so many of you complaining about them, but the 2.05 I did in one shot and the 1.35 took a bit of work but each time I failed I knew it was my fault.

I personally never found it hard to get under 1:35, but getting under 1:35 and making sure you absolutely nail the ending so that the rubber band doesn't get ya was a bit more of a challenge.

oggob

Not really... the post patch makes the AI easier to defeat, the time element isn't changed, so theoretically it is easier, in that you aren't being overtaken in the last straight as much as some of the others were when you had a valid time, because you still had to win and beat the time

andshrew

Has anyone come across issues uploading videos from Ratchet and Clank via the PS4 to Youtube?

Every time I try through the Share menu it seems to un-link my Youtube account from the PS4. If I try and re-link it at this point it seems to get stuck in a loop of saying I need to link an account.

If I go back back out to the menu and manually link the account again, I can then upload videos from other games but as soon as I try one from Ratchet it becomes un-linked again.

Has anyone come across issues uploading videos from Ratchet and Clank via the PS4 to Youtube?

Every time I try through the Share menu it seems to un-link my Youtube account from the PS4. If I try and re-link it at this point it seems to get stuck in a loop of saying I need to link an account.

If I go back back out to the menu and manually link the account again, I can then upload videos from other games but as soon as I try one from Ratchet it becomes un-linked again.

Yeah I've had that issue too.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm on my Challenge Mode play through and my weapons don't seem to be levelling up? I've been using e buzz blades non stop and they won't move to level 4. They just don't budge.

What gives?

Alpende

I'm on my Challenge Mode play through and my weapons don't seem to be levelling up? I've been using e buzz blades non stop and they won't move to level 4. They just don't budge.

What gives?

Are you using cheats? I believe the ammo one and the invincibility one disable leveling up your weapons.

Blues1990

Great news! Hopefully this sends a strong enough signal for a sequel / another R&C game.

Hopefully it won't be attached to a movie that was pretty inconsistent in it's narrative. I liked the new PS4 game, but I think the movie had partially suffered being an uneven retelling of the original game (Ratchet being an idiot, foreshadowing of future events, etc.)

Famassu

Oh for fuck's sake these races are driving me insane. Can't even get through the first Silver Cup. And I've Platinumed the OG R&C so I should know how to do this. -_-;

Hopefully it won't be attached to a movie that was pretty inconsistent in it's narrative. I liked the new PS4 game, but I think the movie had partially suffered being an uneven retelling of the original game (Ratchet being an idiot, foreshadowing of future events, etc.)
Given the fact the movie is performing pretty badly from what it seems I wouldn't expect a sequel to the movie to be coming any time soon, if ever. But with the game performing as it is, I think it's highly likely that the franchise will move forward on its own, which is a good thing considering Insomniac woud have full control over the narrative again without having to take a movie into account.

Bliddo

The hoverboard is ok, but that 1.35 is a big pain in the ass.
In version 1.03 there is a glitch that makes it easier: as soon as you are first and in the last lap, press options and quit the race. The trophy will unlock regardless if you quit under the 1.35 mark.

Blues1990

Given the fact the movie is performing pretty badly from what it seems I wouldn't expect a sequel to the movie to be coming any time soon, if ever. But with the game performing as it is, I think it's highly likely that the franchise will move forward on its own, which is a good thing considering Insomniac woud have full control over the narrative again without having to take a movie into account.

Yeah, I only know vague accounts of the movie's production when I was applying at Rainmaker for a storyboard job, along with seeing the first 15 minutes of an early cut when I was there at the time. One of of the lead Storyboard Artists that was working on the film (as well as doing development art for the Sly Cooper movie) had told me the film had not only completed production a long time ago, but the film distributors had purposely hold back the release of the R&C movie for the video game. If that wasn't the case, the film would've been released almost two years ago! He wished they could've used the original script that Todd had written, but one of the films directors hated it and wanted it to be more like other "contemporary animated movies," whatever that means. Ratchet was much more snarkier like the games with the cut that I watched, but Quark pretty much stayed the same, instead of being the douche bag that he was in the original PS2 game.

I was super disappointed with the final film we got, but that is just the nature of the industry.

Top Bottom