• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank |OT| The Game based on the Movie based on the Game

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Isn't the Groovitron the greatest weapon ever made? Never gets old for me after all these years..

Really? I found it pretty powerful per shot, especially as it levels.
It took me numerous shots to down enemies. It was only until I had completely maxed it out did it become even somewhat strong. I don't know, maybe it is just because I used other weapons that could OHKO or two shot enemies.

pixelation

I looked forever for that as well. It's actually on the race track in the tunnel of the second short cut. It runs through the building where the first bolt was, so it looks like it's in the same spot on the map.

O_O... well i'll be damned... thanks!

SephLuis

It took me numerous shots to down enemies. It was only until I had completely maxed it out did it become even somewhat strong. I don't know, maybe it is just because I used other weapons that could OHKO or two shot enemies.

PIxelator is the shotgun. You can OHKO from point blank

I found that it seems to be more powerful at the edges of its spread, as if the pixel-buckshot flies out in a ring shape. Up close, I'd do a lot of damage, but I felt I needed to hit enemies with the edges of the shot spread to do real damage. It might be worth testing out

I found that it seems to be more powerful at the edges of its spread, as if the pixel-buckshot flies out in a ring shape. Up close, I'd do a lot of damage, but I felt I needed to hit enemies with the edges of the shot spread to do real damage. It might be worth testing out
Yeah, I'll have to look into it as well.

Humdinger

Still enjoying the game quite a bit. I'm never been interested in trophy-collecting, so that aspect doesn't appeal to me, but I really enjoy the combat and the visuals. Combat gets pretty hairy as the game goes on, with all kinds of enemies thrown at you at once. All the weapons are fun, although I don't use Pixelizer or Pyrociter much. They could've done a little better job with Mr. Zurkon's lines -- they come off sounding stupid sometimes, rather than funny/clever. That's a minor nitpick. The rest of the game is just great. So much variety. I'm impressed with how much they get on the screen at once, with such fidelity.

Bliddo

Got my platinum yesterday. Upgrading the sheepinator took forever, I almost completed a third playthrough to get it to level 10. Ugh.

How will I know when I'm approaching the end of the game? I want to make sure I collect all of the bolts and such before finishing it.

I can't recall if the game actually gives a warning, but you can reload the final save even after beating it to go back to collect things.

Edit: Unless it was patched to behave differently if you do go back for bolts and RYNO cards after beating it you'll want to rebeat the last boss to save the final state of the game before you start up Challenge Mode.

oggob

How will I know when I'm approaching the end of the game? I want to make sure I collect all of the bolts and such before finishing it.

You can clean up the remaining bolts after you finish the game, by choosing to Continue, if you do that it will drop you before the final boss fight again.
Then you can clean up remaining stuff, beat the boss again (to have an update save file for Challenge Mode) and then you can head into "Challenge Mode" from the main menu.

Otherwise, if you want to know specifically...
After Kalebo III, you return to the Deplanetizer for the 2nd time, you will fight a boss... after that boss you will be dumped at a spot that has a weapon check point and a teleport pad that returns to your ship... or head to the final boss, that is the final check point...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Found this on the
Insomniac Museum
(Post game spoilers)
kmTo0OI.jpg

Crypto GAF what's this about? RESISTANCE 4 CONFIRMED?

CREMSteve

I wish there was more to do in this game. I've beaten everything, platinum'd it and genuinely haven't got anything left to do (this basically NEVER happens with me, I barely finish a game's primary story mode these days). But yet I still want to go back and play it some more. Would love a horde arena mode or something.

Speaks to how great the game is, just need more of it.

I wish there was more to do in this game. I've beaten everything, platinum'd it and genuinely haven't got anything left to do (this basically NEVER happens with me, I barely finish a game's primary story mode these days). But yet I still want to go back and play it some more. Would love a horde arena mode or something.

Speaks to how great the game is, just need more of it.

Get on that HD collection bro.

Calcium

Banned
So has the game completion path for people been to collect all Gold Bolts/Ryno Cards/Upgrade all Weapons and THEN do challenge mode? How come?

I collected all the gold bolts and leveled most of my weapons to 5 in my first playthrough. Then I started up challenge mode and worked on everything else as I played through a second time. You need to upgrade 5-10 in challenge mode because you need the bolt multiplier to get the required funds to purchase upgrades. It'd be a huge grind to do it all in one playthrough.

So has the game completion path for people been to collect all Gold Bolts/Ryno Cards/Upgrade all Weapons and THEN do challenge mode?
Yes.

How come?
R.Y.N.O. cards were a priority because I wanted the R.Y.N.O. Gold Bolts were more an accident than anything on purpose - I knew I wanted enough to unlock the rupees bolt skins, and just got the rest naturally while card hunting.

desmax

So, I obtained all the weapons on my first run.
But, when I started the Challenge Mode, one of the weapons is gone.

Will I get a weapon in this mode? I honestly don't even know which weapon left my inventory, all I know is that one of the slot for weapons is empty

So, I obtained all the weapons on my first run.
But, when I started the Challenge Mode, one of the weapons is gone.

Will I get a weapon in this mode? I honestly don't even know which weapon left my inventory, all I know is that one of the slot for weapons is empty

That's the Hologuise.

Mirrintu

Neo Member
This game looks like so much fun. I feel like I really missed out never having played the old ps2 games - especially given that I had a ps2 for so long. But that was back when I was the only gamer of my friends/family. Now I am really excited to try it out!

desmax

This game looks like so much fun. I feel like I really missed out never having played the old ps2 games - especially given that I had a ps2 for so long. But that was back when I was the only gamer of my friends/family. Now I am really excited to try it out!

It's a blast. Hope you enjoy

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I usually dont ask for DLC but ...I would legit pay good pesos for some DLC.
Like a horde or survival mode where to use all my max'd up weapons.

Make it happen JStevenson!! :3

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Just need to get my Sheepinator to level 10
and ill have Platinum #30!!!

Already went through Challenge mode once and im almost done with a second....where can i farm enemies to max this out? Its currently at level 8 and the meter only seems to move every 13th kill!!!

Alpende

Already went through Challenge mode once and im almost done with a second....where can i farm enemies to max this out? Its currently at level 8 and the meter only seems to move every 13th kill!!!

You can find a hotspot of enemies, for example the level where the exterminators are fighting the amoebi, kill most of the enemies, change the difficulty and grind it like that. The Gadgetron level has a ton of enemies to grind.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just picked this up last night based on all the good press and the not-$60 price tag. I've never played a Ratchet & Clank before. Seems awfully charming.

Famassu

This game really does assassinate Clank's personality completely. The only thing that is the same is the nerdy voice. Otherwise he lacks all the distinct personality traits & quirks of Clank. There are a couple of moments where these come through a little bit but most of the game Clank is just kind of there and being way too... flavorless. 99,9% of his lines are just too devoid of any personality or the kind of silly humor that he has.

Ratchet has been changed to the worse too, but at least he has some kind of personality in this game.

Otherwise the game part has only been improved. The only nitpick I have is that at times there's just so much stuff happening on screen that it's hard to make sense of what you're seeing. I mean, everything just exploding around you into colourful balls, rays, explosions of light is part of the fun but it's occasionally kind of annoying when you can't really tell what is happening and you lose the bolt-multiplier in the Challenge Mode when some enemy's shot hits you from behind all the explosive colourfulness.

Otherwise the game part has only been improved. The only nitpick I have is that at times there's just so much stuff happening on screen that it's hard to make sense of what you're seeing. I mean, everything just exploding around you into colourful balls, rays, explosions of light is part of the fun but it's occasionally kind of annoying when you can't really tell what is happening and you lose the bolt-multiplier in the Challenge Mode when some enemy's shot hits you from behind all the explosive colourfulness.

I had this problem way more with ITN than I did with this, but I have it with this more than I did the PS2 and future games. I'm not quite sure what it is. I always thought it might be because the camera might be more zoomed in on the FoV is smaller, but I'm not entirely sure.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
You can find a hotspot of enemies, for example the level where the exterminators are fighting the amoebi, kill most of the enemies, change the difficulty and grind it like that. The Gadgetron level has a ton of enemies to grind.

Is more exp rewarded for higher or lower difficulty?

Cudder

Killing big enemies will make the meter move quicker. Using it on a bunch of small grunt enemies barely does anything.

bwahhhhh

Killing big enemies will make the meter move quicker. Using it on a bunch of small grunt enemies barely does anything.

yeah, i used a groovitron and used the sheepinator on the big floating brain things. they take like 15 seconds to convert, but would give the sheepinator a lot of xp.

DJ_Lae

Just need to upgrade all my weapons and then do the groovitron trophy...and I have no idea what I missed on my two playthroughs so far.

Got my platinum yesterday. Upgrading the sheepinator took forever, I almost completed a third playthrough to get it to level 10. Ugh.

I'm getting the feeling that I'll need to do the same, it's the only weapon I have left and even at level 6 seems to be barely crawling up with XP at the end of my first challenge run.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Im not at home to try but can someone answer this....those big floaty brain things, can you use sheepinator on them AFTER theyre dancing from a Grooveitron?

If i try to just Sheepinator them alone, it has no effect

Cudder

Im not at home to try but can someone answer this....those big floaty brain things, can you use sheepinator on them AFTER theyre dancing from a Grooveitron?

If i try to just Sheepinator them alone, it has no effect

It does, Sheepinator works on everything, even bosses. Larger enemies take longer to take down though.

equil

The weapon that took me the longest to upgrade was my zyrkon bots. Even though i had them summoned throughout most of the game.

Story mode beaten, now to do challenge mode.

Quite good Ratchet game, while it doesnt match the top 3 of GC/UYA/ACiT.

I feel like they could have shown a bit more cutscenes from movie. I havent seen that one yet, but in this game some cutscenes felt a tad off.

I got lucky and got Death by Disco in first run with just a little backtrack. I dont think you need to get swimming Pool Sharks to dance, I think I only got ones that were on land.

Just checked musem quickly. While I can get why some say its the worst so far, I liked that there was a lot of references to older games. They even showed old assests which was nice. Even PSP games got a small reference, even thou they were made by ex-Insomniacs.

As for criticism there was one retcon I didnt quite like. So Nefarious stole the main villain role. Sigh. It made Drek feel less evil and threat. Althought Drek’s voice also made that. I guess Nefarious taking over is better since now he works as better main series antagonist? But now Drek feels very lame villain. I suppose lack of levels could also be bad? But this was actually on smaller budget so its not that bad. Granted Orxon and Quartu as planets suffered. We got a bland factory instead of cool toxic planet and a factory level.

Top Bottom