• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank |OT| The Game based on the Movie based on the Game

Ennosuke

What a game! Biggest surprise this year so far. Thr combat and mission design is so much fun and those visuals are close to perfection.
Almost through it and time was passing really fast because it was pure fun.

Although I am not a trophy hunter, I could imagine getting some more.

The industry needs more games like this.

wouwie

Is the last boss battle actually do-able without RYNO in challenge+? I even lowered the difficulty to casual and i'm doing little to no damage. After more than 5 minutes, the boss still had 50% health and i ran out of effective weapons... Not fun at all. I wouldn't bother with it but i want to restart the game a third time (not going through it again all the way through though). I still have one RYNO card missing of each set. Maybe i should look up the location and collect them first.

Is the last boss battle actually do-able without RYNO in challenge+? I even lowered the difficulty to casual and i'm doing little to no damage. After more than 5 minutes, the boss still had 50% health and i ran out of effective weapons... Not fun at all. I wouldn't bother with it but i want to restart the game a third time (not going through it again all the way through though). I still have one RYNO card missing of each set. Maybe i should look up the location and collect them first.

http://pastebin.com/j2waMRyR

Absolutely, I beat it on Hard without the RYNO. You have been upgrading your other weapons with raritanium and have the omega versions of all of them? It'll take awhile still but you shouldn't run out of ammo. Don't forget there's ammo boxes on the different platforms so you can get a little bit more as needed.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Absolutely, I beat it on Hard without the RYNO. You have been upgrading your other weapons with raritanium and have the omega versions of all of them? It'll take awhile still but you shouldn't run out of ammo. Don't forget there's ammo boxes on the different platforms so you can get a little bit more as needed.

you also probably want to hit him when he crashes onto the platform with stuff like the proton drum and agents of doom. If you stun him on the platform you can do epic amounts of damage with ground-based attacks

wouwie

you also probably want to hit him when he crashes onto the platform with stuff like the proton drum and agents of doom. If you stun him on the platform you can do epic amounts of damage with ground-based attacks

The weird thing is: i did this in my first playthrough on normal and did a lot of damage that way. But whatever i'm throwing at him now when he is on the platform, it doesn't do any damage at all. It really surprised me tbh. It's actually kind of weird. I have all my weapons upgraded to max and i'm on casual challenge+ (played the game on hard but lowered the difficulty for the boss battles because i suck at boss battles obviously...).

The weird thing is: i did this in my first playthrough on normal and did a lot of damage that way. But whatever i'm throwing at him now when he is on the platform, it doesn't do any damage at all. It really surprised me tbh. It's actually kind of weird. I have all my weapons upgraded to max and i'm on casual challenge+ (played the game on hard but lowered the difficulty for the boss battles because i suck at boss battles obviously...).

Really wail on him. I had a Zurkon + Two Proton Drums concurrently + Agents of Doom + Flamethrower, whenever he got knocked out on the platform. He'll recover pretty quickly, but the two proton drums firing near him will remain in the air, sapping away at his health even after. The BuzzBlades, Raptor Launcher and Peace Maker all worked well for stunning him quickly.

Heh, the proton drums were my favorite weapon so I guess I just thought that was natural for when he was stunned. It doesn't hurt to use up your groovitron balls while he's in the air for the bonus damage it provides to dancing targets, too.

Beat this game in about 3 days. Fantastic game.
30 fps wasn't as much of a disappointment as I'd anticipated. Got the RYNO and all of the Gold Bolts, too.

Truly a great deal at $40. You get the heart of Ratchet and Clank 1 but with so much more.

More developers ought to try this "re-imagining"

Bandit1

Bought the game on day 1 but just now getting to it since I waited for the Uncharted blue-gray console to buy a PS4. Made it to Metropolis, this game looks beautiful! It's so vivid and colorful. Started out on hard, died a few times but after I gained some XP and got a feel for the game I'm not dying so much now, so I'm going to keep it on hard and see how it goes. I platinumed the remastered trilogy and Into the Nexus and I'd like to platinum this as well. (Couldn't manage to platinum A Crack in Time because of the "my blaster runs really, really hot" trophy) :/

CixxaGVWYAEqCz5.jpg

Yay, finally got the plat! I know for a fact that the final boss danced due to the Groovitron on my second playthrough but it must not have stuck because it didn't pop until this third playthrough when I made him dance again. Ah well. I needed 3 playthroughs (1st - First, 2nd - Challenge/buying Omega Weapons, 3rd - Cleanup dancing and weapon/Ratchet levels) anyway so I'm glad it didn't become more.

Great game, butchered story, seeing the movie made it make a lot more sense. Can't wait for the next one!

Sydle

Just finished it. Pretty standard Ratchet & Clank and not as satisfying as UYA or ACIT, but still fun and I'm glad I played it.

I hope they're working on a sequel that takes some risks and introduces some new stuff to the series.

Bandit1

Made it to Gaspar tonight. I really love how some of the planets are almost 1:1 recreations of the originals. Novalis, Blackwater, and Nebula G34 stood out to me being very faithful to the original. It gives me this strange sense of Deja Vu, like I've done all this before, but I really haven't. Also just picked up the Pixelizer, awesome weapon! It puts a smile on my face every time I pull the trigger and I'm not even an 8-bit kinda guy. It's one of those weapons that has Insomniac's name on it. I can't think of another developer who would have come up with something like that. Also cashed in my pre-order code for the Bouncer, which I had almost forgot. I'm guessing the Suck Cannon isn't in the game, because I'm pretty sure I would have had it by now in the original, which is a little disappointing because there are a lot of small enemies I would have loved to use it on.

I saw people earlier in the thread talking about how hard it was to escape the rising water in the sewer in Blackwater, I beat it first try. The hoverboard race was a different story though. It ripped me a new one.

Made it to Gaspar tonight. I really love how some of the planets are almost 1:1 recreations of the originals. Novalis, Blackwater, and Nebula G34 stood out to me being very faithful to the original.
According to the postmortem, they actually imported the original geometry to use as a starting point. So they're really upgrades, not recreations.

Bandit1

Is this interesting at all for someone who never played a Ratchet and Clank game? Does nostalgia really play a lot into your enjoyment of it?

It's really the best jumping on point in the series for a newcomer as it is a remake of the first game, so you really don't need to know anything going in. Great gameplay, crazy weapons, lovable characters and a lot of humor. Go for it!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is this interesting at all for someone who never played a Ratchet and Clank game? Does nostalgia really play a lot into your enjoyment of it?
That's me. While I'm sure the nostalgia waves are big for those that know the series, it seems extremely well-geared toward someone like me who had no clue about the universe and is just futzing around for the first time. It's a "reboot done right," as it were.

My wife had never played any of the R&C games and had such a blast with this one that she's played through it twice -- even made it a point to get every weapon, level them all up, and acquire all the upgrades. It's infectiously fun and a phenomenal jumping on point. (Also makes me desperate to get my old PS3 games out of storage and play through them all again!)

I've collected all the Gold Bolts and Cards and I've almost filled up all of my raritarium slots.

But I want to collect more shit :(

It feels so so satisfying getting a new card. I hope the next game triples or quadruples the amount of cards to collect. Make one for every planet. Every Character. Every Enemy. Every Mission. Make holographic versions of some cards. Feed my inner-pokemon-card-collecting fiend!

Also I LOVE the currency appearance cheat.
lol at the blatant "rupees" and "rings" from Zelda and Sonic respectively. Surprised they didn't put in Spyro styled Gems!
And I love the sound they make when you collect them. Didn't think collecting bolts could feel any more satisfying. I hope they keep this feature for future Ratchet games.

Was really disappointed in the nurtured story and characters, but eh. Hopefully for the sequel they won't be stretched as thin juggling a film and game at once and can really pump up the narrative. Have we had any confirmation that the next game will just continue the remake route (I hope not), or continue with an all new approach to the lore? I'm okay with the same characters sticking around (which seems to be the case with all of the set up we have for familiar faces) but I'm not too thrilled at the idea of them simply looping through all of the PS2/3 games. Although I hope they touch on the Lombax planet again, that whole thing was left a mystery and seemingly abandoned.

Bandit1

Just boarded the Deplanetizer. A few quick thoughts before I dive back in:
Just watched the cutscene where Nefarious turns Drek into a sheep LOL. I can't say that I like Nefarious coming in and taking over since he was never in the original game, but that also made this scene totally unexpected and quite hilarious. I don't like Drek as much in this as in the original, his voice throws me off. Half the time he was talking over the intercom I didn't realize it was him. The voice actor did good work, I'm just not used to the voice change. Going back a couple levels, when the Rangers make the raid on Drek's ship, fighting all the little Zurkons was a pretty brilliant move. All this time Mr. Zurkon's been your (other) little robot buddy, and then suddenly the floodgates open and dozens of Zurkons come out guns blazing at you, that put a smile on my face. And then the boss battle with Mrs. Zurkon using your jetpack! Good stuff!

Edit: Gotta say the boomerang throw on the wrench has never been better. You can hold L2 to aim it while still running at full speed and I like the height I can get out of it, I can hit a box stacked four or five boxes high.

Double edit: Made it to the
Nefarious boss fight and it was kicking my arsenal (playing on hard) so I backed out and decided to do some other stuff before going back.
Got all the Telapathapus brains and the map-o-matic and then went chasing down gold bolts and RYNO cards. Just got the RYNO and only have two gold bolts left. Wasn't much into the cards at first until I figured out you could flip them and read up on the characters, weapons, and locations and once you complete a set you get a percentage boost on bolts, raritanium, etc. Now I'm using the map-o-matic going after every pack I can find!

Alpende

Just boarded the Deplanetizer. A few quick thoughts before I dive back in:
Just watched the cutscene where Nefarious turns Drek into a sheep LOL. I can't say that I like Nefarious coming in and taking over since he was never in the original game, but that also made this scene totally unexpected and quite hilarious. I don't like Drek as much in this as in the original, his voice throws me off. Half the time he was talking over the intercom I didn't realize it was him. The voice actor did good work, I'm just not used to the voice change. Going back a couple levels, when the Rangers make the raid on Drek's ship, fighting all the little Zurkons was a pretty brilliant move. All this time Mr. Zurkon's been your (other) little robot buddy, and then suddenly the floodgates open and dozens of Zurkons come out guns blazing at you, that put a smile on my face. And then the boss battle with Mrs. Zurkon using your jetpack! Good stuff!

Edit: Gotta say the boomerang throw on the wrench has never been better. You can hold L2 to aim it while still running at full speed and I like the height I can get out of it, I can hit a box stacked four or five boxes high.

Double edit: Made it to the
Nefarious boss fight and it was kicking my arsenal (playing on hard) so I backed out and decided to do some other stuff before going back.
Got all the Telapathapus brains and the map-o-matic and then went chasing down gold bolts and RYNO cards. Just got the RYNO and only have two gold bolts left. Wasn't much into the cards at first until I figured out you could flip them and read up on the characters, weapons, and locations and once you complete a set you get a percentage boost on bolts, raritanium, etc. Now I'm using the map-o-matic going after every pack I can find!

I had a difficult time defeating the final boss on hard as well. I probably did it in 3-4 tries, mostly using every gun I had. If you have the RYNO and then fight the final boss it's easy as hell.

Humdinger

Finished mine last week. Very good game, best I've played all year (although that's not saying much). 9/10 for me. You've heard all the praise, so I won't repeat it. I hope they make more of these old-style light, entertaining, fun games.

Vashetti

Banned
Any news on future patches (I know 1.04 is the latest)?

Paging jstevenson, any chance the Bouncer gets patched in at some point in the future for everyone?

Bandit1

I had a difficult time defeating the final boss on hard as well. I probably did it in 3-4 tries, mostly using every gun I had. If you have the RYNO and then fight the final boss it's easy as hell.

I originally intended to just take a breather and upgrade some of my weapons, but then I was like - Eh, I'll just get the RYNO and get this thing over with.

Anyway I beat the game, and yes it was easy with the RYNO. Found all the gold bolts, almost have all the card sets completed, and got every trophy related to the hoverboard races. 1:35 at Rilgar took a little practice. Then I jumped straight into challenge mode, still having a ton of fun!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I finished it last night and enjoyed it. Is it just me or is the Bouncer SUPER overpowered? That thing was the win button.

Beat it, and I really don't like what they've changed from the original. Practically none of it is for the better.
Maybe it's because I played the new one first (well, I played about an hour of the original, left it alone for years, platinumed the remake, then went back to the original), but I disagree. Everything gameplay related is an improvement. And the story/script are at worst a sidegrade (it's no worse than the original, and it might be better).

It might have been nice if no planets got cut, just so there was more to do. But overall if I could only have one it would be the remake.

Bandit1

Beat it, and I really don't like what they've changed from the original. Practically none of it is for the better.

The controls alone make it a better game.

Everything gameplay related is an improvement. It might have been nice if no planets got cut, just so there was more to do. But overall if I could only have one it would be the remake.

I pretty much agree with all of this. (I don't think Benzy was talking about gameplay) There really didn't feel like a lot of character development or conflict between Ratchet and Clank like in the first game. It almost felt like they had already known each other all the time, which could have worked if Ratchet and Clank broke the fourth wall themselves like how the Plumber says "see you in the next reboot" I feel like there should have been a couple of times where Ratchet and Clank said "I knew this was going to happen" - spoils:
like maybe when Qwark betrays the Rangers.
Also didn't like
Nefarious usurping Drek, Ratchet giving a "I didn't see that coming" would have been nice in that situation lol.
And I missed some of the more minor characters from the original like Helga on the obstacle course and Darla Gratch on the news.

Alternatively, the gameplay, visuals and effects excel. The game is still really funny. Currency is well balanced and the upgrade trees are very good too. I also really enjoyed the Clank gameplay, probably among my favorite in the series, apart from the segments running from Victor. I thought the bot puzzles were challenging and much better than the original game where you had to lead the little bots into the doors and they usually got killed along the way and you had to go back for them.

The controls alone make it a better game.

Maybe it's because I played the new one first (well, I played about an hour of the original, left it alone for years, platinumed the remake, then went back to the original), but I disagree. Everything gameplay related is an improvement. And the story/script are at worst a sidegrade (it's no worse than the original, and it might be better).

It might have been nice if no planets got cut, just so there was more to do. But overall if I could only have one it would be the remake.

Well I clearly wasn't referring to the gameplay :p

Galactic rangers felt pointless, they added nothing at all. Their inclusion feels solely because of the kids movie they wanted to release.

Quark became a joke, rather than his betrayal being a big reveal, it's just sort of thrown in as a side note.

Nefarious felt really shoehorned in, and made Drek a joke of a character. Drek was a great and threatening villain in the PS2 game. They hardly even went in to the fact that the Blarg were building a planet, hell we didn't even visit their old polluted one! I don't even know what Nefarious wanted to do other than blow shit up.

And then of course there's all the cut content. Quark HQ, the space station where you fought him, and the lightning city afterwards were amazing, and they're all gone. No Tesla Coil, no Suck-Cannon, no Visibomb etc.

What the game is, is still really good. But what it isn't has just left a sour taste in my mouth.

Humdinger

Yeah, I didn't like how they turned Ratchet and Clank into a cheesy Pixar movie knockoff duo. Didn't even do a good job of it, just made them "buds" without personality. Boring, predictable.

Otherwise, game was great, though.

Voror

That trophy for 1:35 on the race is such a pain in the ass. Just got 1:35:263 which apparently isn't good enough for it.

Top Bottom