• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank |OT| The Game based on the Movie based on the Game

hbkdx12

Just spent an hour turning Gaspar inside out and of course I end up one brain short. Thank you for reminding me why I hate collectathons.

Spoilers

You get a Map-O-matic later on that tells you exactly where each collectible is on each planet

Skidd McMarx's agent does the carlton if you hit him with the groovitron lol

There's also new dialogue if you first meet the ryno guy while already having the ryno

Finished my first playthrough earlier. Pretty great game, but the cutscenes felt kinda.. disjointed? Were they scenes from the movie? That would explain why the blocked scene warning kept coming up.

But yeah, I grabbed my RYNO just before the final boss fight and leveled it up to 5 against him lol guess I'm set for Challenge Mode.

hbkdx12

Just got my plat!

Not sure if this has been mentioned but FYI for anyone grinding for the Death by Disco trophy

The enemies you've killed with the groovitron will carry over from your original playthrough to your challenge mode playthrough meaning you only need to worry about the ones you missed. If you don't/can't get the trophy on your second playthrough during challenge mode and you start another challenge mode playthrough you have to get all the enemies with the groovitron in that one playthrough, not just the ones you think you might have missed.

TL:DR Your kill count won't carry over from one challenge mode to another challenge mode.

Running through the game to get it is a breeze though if you found all the bolts and turn on the cheats which don't affect trophies at all.

People who start off with this game will probably prefer this soundtrack, just going by that one guy who chimed in a couple pages ago saying that the old soundtrack sounded terrible.

Though I'm basing that off a sample size of 1. No one else who hadn't played the original responded to it.

Come on Ratchet & Clank newcomers, we need your opinions for science!

Ratchet & Clank PS2 Soundtrack Over PS4 Gameplay

Love this so much. Most of them still fit well.

Quartu sounds hilariously off though with the overhauled look. The outside part could probably fit better with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYoK540doSI

People who start off with this game will probably prefer this soundtrack, just going by that one guy who chimed in a couple pages ago saying that the old soundtrack sounded terrible.

Though I'm basing that off a sample size of 1. No one else who hadn't played the original responded to it.
I prefer the 2016 music as well. I can see why you guys like the 2002 soundtrack better - it's definitely more memorable. However, some of the planets are repeats of others, and the jazz style overall just makes me cringe.

In order, I've played Tools, Booty, Crack, Nexus, 2002 (for about a half-hour), 2016, then went back to 2002 to finally play it through (about three-quarters done). So I'm not sure how you'd classify me, newcomer or not. ;)

Grexeno

So once I get the RYNO to Lvl. 5, should I grind out all the updgrades and cards before going to challenge mode or just get them there?

RK128

Come on Ratchet & Clank newcomers, we need your opinions for science!

The new OST fits very nicely :D! Love the original's soundtrack, so seeing it over-lay on the reboot game is nice.

Maybe it could be DLC or something to get for the game? Would be a nice way to celebrate the original game on PS4 :).

mstevens

Started this today and it is my first experience with the series. I'm trying to get the hover board trophies out of the way asap.. I already did the first one. I just finished the robot factory level, how far away from the second hover board planet am I and how do I get it to unlock?

Kyrios

Just mopped up all of the hover race related trophies. Found the second hover board gold race was a lot easier than the first thanks to the shortcuts, got "Kalebo Thunder" on my second attempt.

Kyrios

Started this today and it is my first experience with the series. I'm trying to get the hover board trophies out of the way asap.. I already did the first one. I just finished the robot factory level, how far away from the second hover board planet am I and how do I get it to unlock?

You're like two planets away. And you'll unlock the races through story progression.

bwahhhhh

Just mopped up all of the hover race related trophies. Found the second hover board gold race was a lot easier than the first thanks to the shortcuts, got "Kalebo Thunder" on my second attempt.

Yeah the shortcuts in the second one make it a lot easier.

i tried for the first hoverboard trophy on the gold track around 3 times after getting 1st place before giving up with around 1:38.xx and saying i'll come back to it after beating the game. I said i'd only try a handful of times, wanted to enjoy the game first, not get pissed at failing to get the trophy :)

the kalebo hoverboard trophy was way easier, got it on my third try (my second try was 2:05.xx, just barely missed it, made a lot of mistakes so i knew it would be a lot easier than the first one) third try i got a 1:45.xx. cut 20 seconds within one race, wish the first trophy was as easy.

Kyrios

Yeah the shortcuts in the second one make it a lot easier.

i tried for the first hoverboard trophy on the gold track around 3 times after getting 1st place before giving up with around 1:38.xx and saying i'll come back to it after beating the game. I said i'd only try a handful of times, wanted to enjoy the game first, not get pissed at failing to get the trophy :)

the kalebo hoverboard trophy was way easier, got it on my third try (my second try was 2:05.xx, just barely missed it, made a lot of mistakes so i knew it would be a lot easier than the first one) third try i got a 1:45.xx. cut 20 seconds within one race, wish the first trophy was as easy.

Yeah I did the same as you lol I waited until my challenge mode playthrough to get everything mopped up.

it took me forever to get that Rilgar race trophy. Somewhere between an hour and an hour and a half. I had the cheats on too. So glad im done with those races.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So once I get the RYNO to Lvl. 5, should I grind out all the updgrades and cards before going to challenge mode or just get them there?

Regarding the cards, if you've been levelling up all of the weapons to 5, you'll probably find that you have enough duplicates to finish the incomplete sets (you can trade in five for any card you're missing). I had around 100 to spare by the time I was ready to face Nefarious, who, incidentally, is perfect for levelling up the RYNO -- just don't accidentally kill him. ;)

Guys,

Bouncer vs Buzz Blades?
Sheepinator vs Pixelizer?
Mr Zircon vs Warmonger vs Predator vs Proton Beam?

I naturally gravitated towards the Bouncer and I don't know if I just got lucky but it feels like one of, if not the most powerful weapons in the game to me when fully maxed out.

Of course I don't know which gun is the strongest, other than the Ryno, but I was killing everything, bosses included, without breaking a sweat.

Alpende

Guys,

Bouncer vs Buzz Blades?

Buzzblades as I don't have the bouncer, Sheepinator because I feel the Pixelizer lacks power even thought it's effects are cool. Probably Mr. Zircon because of his one liners and general attitude. Proton Beam mixed with the Groovinator is a recipe for a great party.

nib95

Banned
I naturally gravitated towards the Bouncer and I don't know if I just got lucky but it feels like one of, if not the most powerful weapons in the game to me when fully maxed out.

Of course I don't know which gun is the strongest, other than the Ryno, but I was killing everything, bosses included, without breaking a sweat.

Buzzblades as I don't have the bouncer, Sheepinator because I feel the Pixelizer lacks power even thought it's effects are cool. Probably Mr. Zircon because of his one liners and general attitude. Proton Beam mixed with the Groovinator is a recipe for a great party.

Bouncer is the best weapon in the game I think. (aside from RYNO)

I have Groovitron, Pixelizer, Mr Zircon and Proton nearly maxed. But I feel like I need a half decent ranged weapon or something. Thinking of swapping Pixelizer to Bouncer/Buzz blades and Proton or Zircon to Sheepinator, but I don't know if any of these are good at range.

GeeTeeCee

Well, after running through the game 2.5 times I've got my platinum trophy. What an absolute joy to play, from start to finish. I don't normally replay a game instantly after completing it, but I was enjoying it so much I didn't want to stop. R&C remains my favourite video game series of all time, and Insomniac remain amazing.

Alpende

I have Groovitron, Pixelizer, Mr Zircon and Proton nearly maxed. But I feel like I need a half decent ranged weapon or something. Thinking of swapping Pixelizer to Bouncer/Buzz blades and Proton or Zircon to Sheepinator, but I don't know if any of these are good at range.

Buzzblades have pretty good range as does the sheepinator. Nothing beats the sniper rifle though. You can upgrade the proton so that you can throw it super far, it's actually ridiculous how far you can throw it when you get that upgrade.

Kyrios

What's the best place to quickly level up weapons end game?

I know fighting the
Blargian Snagglebeast
gave A LOT of weapon experience. Just intentionally die and repeat. But if you want endgame, try doing the same with the final boss.

hbkdx12

Guys,

Bouncer vs Buzz Blades?

Bouncer hands down. It's the strongest weapon in the game that's not called RYNO.

Pixelizer just off the strength that Sheepinator does fuck all for crowd control when there's larger enemies around. Sheepinator is great on small groups of enemies or one large enemy that you can concentrate on by itself.

Warmonger. Ammo is a bit of a problem at the early levels but it's a simple solid good old fashioned rocket launcher that has some good crowd control. It became one of my favorite weapons by time the game was over. Conversely, Zurcon just disappointed me even at max levels with all mods. It just doesn't stay out long enough especially when you have a large groups of enemies around. I would constantly find myself using zurcon tow or three times in one grouping in an attempt to level it up. And im sure in one of the earlier games he shot rockets once he was upgraded. He doesn't in this game which again was disappointing.

Proton is great if you use it with the groovitron. By itself it leaves a bit to be desired because IIRC there's no stun animation to it. And for whatever reason when you max it out you can fling that thng the length of a football field. The predator is effective but it's almost too effective that it kind of made the game boring because using it feels like using a sniper in pretty much any other third person shooter and R&C shines in not feeling like other shooters thanks to it's imaginative weapons.

Calcium

Banned
Just finished up the platinum for this game. Thanks to Death By Disco I had to do 3 playthroughs, but it actually worked out pretty well. I finished leveling my last weapon just as I got to the end. Amazing game, glad it is selling well so we can get more like it.

This might be a little off topic, but does anyone know what happened to High Impact Games? I can't find any news about them since 2012, when they made a Phineas and ferb game.

This might be a little off topic, but does anyone know what happened to High Impact Games? I can't find any news about them since 2012, when they made a Phineas and ferb game.

Well, nothing definitive but I did find that the building High Impact was working out of was leased to a security company in 2014 and it appears that company took the full building. For a company not to be heard from for four years and their building change? Doesn't bode well.

On the other hand I went through LinkedIn for a handful of the employees listed on their Team page and a couple still list working there to "Present" but those could be people that simply don't keep their LinkedIn profiles updated. The majority all held other jobs from those that I checked.

I just platinum'd this and the second playthrough cemented it as a really good game for me. There was one moment with the fully powered RYNO with so much happening on screen. It looked amazing.

Aspiring

Never played a ratchet and clank game before but bought this for the son and I to play and its so much fun. Love it so much as does my son.

EGM1966

I was absolutely loving this game, until the second mandatory hover race. I honestly am astonished that something so utterly, overwhelmingly *shite* got through development. How on *earth* did anyone think this was a good idea? The rubber banding is ridiculous, to the point where the same racer overtakes at the same spot every single time.

I'm not very good at racers, never have been, and the holoraces being this awful has really ruined the game for me. They weren't this bad in the original game, why the hell have they made them so much worse now?
Probably posted but don't thin k of it as a race. It's not. The other racers are basically faster than you and rubber band (both ways).

The approach is to learn the shortcuts and path that gives most boost. Perfect that and the second race is easier than the first (the shortcuts basically hand you victory on the second race track). One other thing, the rubber banding is extreme so make sure you also time the end of the race to have a boost you can kick in to take you across the finish line.

The real issue is getting below 1.35 on first race in Gold. It's not too hard once you learn the course but its tougher as there are no shortcuts to the level of the second race.

Seriously if you don't know where the shortcuts in second race are google 'em and prepare to win and move on.

Bishop89

I was absolutely loving this game, until the second mandatory hover race. I honestly am astonished that something so utterly, overwhelmingly *shite* got through development. How on *earth* did anyone think this was a good idea? The rubber banding is ridiculous, to the point where the same racer overtakes at the same spot every single time.

I'm not very good at racers, never have been, and the holoraces being this awful has really ruined the game for me. They weren't this bad in the original game, why the hell have they made them so much worse now?

came first in each cup on my first go on the gadgetron planet HQ race.

Races are not unfair. Just do tricks whenever in the air, get crates, boosts and shortcuts... Just need to keep boosting.

Once you've got Gold in every race on Jak II, every other mandatory racing sidegame becomes a breeze. Seriously, I screamed in abject rage a few times...

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Once you've got Gold in every race on Jak II, every other mandatory racing sidegame becomes a breeze. Seriously, I screamed in abject rage a few times...
Oh god.
Memories.
:(

Necro900

came first in each cup on my first go on the gadgetron planet HQ race.

Races are not unfair. Just do tricks whenever in the air, get crates, boosts and shortcuts... Just need to keep boosting.

This. Beat all the races on my first try on Normal, and I'm not good at racing games by any means. Just keep boosting! Do air tricks and try to hit every boost pad you can.

TeddyBoy

Just platinumed the game, I had to play through it a third time since I missed the Groovitron trophy and a few of my weapons weren't maxed out.

It's really fun game and I'd love it if they remade 2 like this as well :)

Top Bottom