• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank |OT| The Game based on the Movie based on the Game

I just started after finishing dark souls 3. So where the hell are the skill points?! Are they gone, that's BS. I still see random stuff that can be broken that would fit a skill point perfectly.

SpaceWolf

Banned
These Trespasser puzzles...

giphy.gif

I just started after finishing dark souls 3. So where the hell are the skill points?! Are they gone, that's BS. I still see random stuff that can be broken that would fit a skill point perfectly.

They were replaced with some hidden trophies, which ultimately sucks, because it's less user friendly and just guarantees everyone has to look up trophy lists to figure it out. And there's a decent chance that if you check the trophy list after passing certain planets you just guarantee you'll be replaying the game to get the trophy since you can't repeat events and most enemies don't respawn.

There's quite a few things that aren't exactly user-friendly. I don't understand why they wouldn't have it both in game and unlock trophies because with skill points in the past you'd at least have an idea of planet and name of the skill point to give some hint as to what to do.

They were replaced with some hidden trophies, which ultimately sucks, because it's less user friendly and just guarantees everyone has to look up trophy lists to figure it out. And there's a decent chance that if you check the trophy list after passing certain planets you just guarantee you'll be replaying the game to get the trophy since you can't repeat events and most enemies don't respawn.

There's quite a few things that aren't exactly user-friendly. I don't understand why they wouldn't have it both in game and unlock trophies because with skill points in the past you'd at least have an idea of planet and name of the skill point to give some hint as to what to do.

Wow that sucks. What a dumb change.

"Why are you so violent, are you expecting some kind of extra point"

Yes I am! Lol. At least the game jokes about it.

Picked this up on impulse as hadn't got a shiny new game in ages. Currently waiting on the download. Will I enjoy?

Haven't touched the Ratchet series since I replayed the trilogy on my Vita a couple years back.

thenexus6

Ratchet & Clank PS2 Soundtrack Over PS4 Gameplay

Love this so much. Most of them still fit well.

Quartu sounds hilariously off though with the overhauled look. The outside part could probably fit better with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYoK540doSI

The lack of the original soundtrack is the biggest beef I have with the game. It's one of my all time favourites. I get they had to put the new movie soundtrack into the game but could've at least had the original PS2 soundtrack as a unlock.

A big reason I'm really disappointed in that is because this would have been a great opportunity to get the soundtrack some more recognition. David Bearegeard himself is fading into even more obscurity. He's not a name like David Wise or something (which I think he deserves to be because his music on the first 3 Ratchet games were sublime), and he'll just be forgotten at this rate. Pretty sad. I don't even know what he's doing nowadays.

.... They're very simple and easy to solve. I was actually disappointed with because these have been the easiest puzzles via gadget to open a door in Ratchet and Clank history.

Difficulty affects the puzzles. Were you playing on hard?

Not that I think they aren't straightforward if you know the method to solving them. (I imagine people who just guess and check would find them frustrating). This is the only door hacker gadget that's actually puzzle based and not reflex based lol.

Rixxan

i havent played this myself but ive been watching my wife play it, so much about this game is visually striking - really impressive at times

think shes on the last boss, seems like a noticeable spike in difficult, she was getting upset, died a couple times - lol

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Huh, I don't disagree with your point, I just wanted to make that correction. He starts to realize the bigger picture and understand why Clank's mission is so important as soon as he sees the planet Oltanis infobot. It's from that point where he starts being an active hero.

Yeah, thats about the gist of it

thenexus6

I don't know the track name, but the only one I really like / stood out for me was the music that plays when the game is paused or you're looking through your card collection.

Burbeting

Banned
I decided to stay out of this thread once I got the game. Now I have platinumed it, so it's time to give some thoughts.

In short, the game is very well made, and definitely return to form in gameplay-related stuff for the Series after somewhat A4O, FFA and even Nexus, which felt rushed back in 2013. This game however, feels like it was given lot of love and understanding of what makes modern Ratchet games work. The gameplay is very stellar, and even though 30 FPS is noticeable, it never bothers the gamaplay thanks to how stable it is, again compared to Nexus.

Weapon variety was good. Even though there was literally no new types of weapons, the ones that were included were all very good, and lot of fun to use. Only weapons I didn't like were
Plasma Stalker and the Glove of Doom
, but I have always disliked those two weapons. Counting bouncer, 13/15 weapons were joy to use, which is a good number for a Ratchet game.

Ship combat could have used some refinement, but it wasn't intrusive, since the ship portions were always very brief. Same with Clank sections, which weren't the best iteration of Clank's gameplay, but the gadgebot interaction was cleverly done. I didn't really care about the chase sequences though.

So, gameplay wise the game was about as much as I could have dared to hope for... but sadly the game is dragged down in some other aspects. Worst offender here was story, which surprised me. I assumed that being based on a movie would mean that at least plot and cast would be good. Instead the story is completely forgettable, and the cast interaction is very barren. The main duo had no real chemistry in this game, no character arcs happened at all. This was a disappointment, especially since the first game had (albeit very flawed) memorable character arcs and interactions. Instead of ironing out some of the flaws, it seems that the film crew/Insomniac simply axed them instead. That's unfortunate.

Other nitpicks are mostly stuff that was left out. I missed the original soundtrack, even though the new one wasn't offensively bad, just really unmemorable. Same with deleted planets, the game works well without them, but I still was left missing them. What levels did return though, were given pretty fantastic new version throughout. Only one that I felt lacking was Kerwan, for some reason.

So even though I had lot of problems with plot and cast, the gameplay itself was great. And that's all that matters in Ratchet games in the long run, so I do think it's a very solid 8-8.5/10 title.

Chopper

Got credits this evening. Finished on Hard.

If I select continue, can I go back and get the collectibles I missed, and then start Challenge mode when I've done that?

And if I drop the difficulty to Easy, does that effect the difficulty of Challenge mode too? I really just wanna rush through Challenge mode asap.

Burbeting

Banned
Got credits this evening. Finished on Hard.

If I select continue, can I go back and get the collectibles I missed, and then start Challenge mode when I've done that?

And if I drop the difficulty to Easy, does that effect the difficulty of Challenge mode too? I really just wanna rush through Challenge mode asap.

You can collect stuff first, but then you need to defeat the final boss again in order for the stuff to be moved to a new playthrough.

Changing to easy doesn't affect challenge mode, I think. In Challenge Mode you can still change between difficulty levels.

Chopper

You can collect stuff first, but then you need to defeat the final boss again in order for the stuff to be moved to a new playthrough.

Changing to easy doesn't affect challenge mode, I think. In Challenge Mode you can still change between difficulty levels.
Oh, that's alright. The last boss was a piece of cake.

So is Challenge Mode Easy easier than regular Hard mode, do you reckon?

Burbeting

Banned
Oh, that's alright. The last boss was a piece of cake.

So is Challenge Mode Easy easier than regular Hard mode, do you reckon?

Well, the difficulty modes affect more than just enemies this time (Trespasser puzzles, even the Captain Quark Fitness Course). I would say that the Challenge Mode is pretty easy in any difficulty mode, but that's beause I have played all mainline Ratchet games way too many times now, so anything from the series would feel easy to me at this point.

Chopper

Well, the difficulty modes affect more than just enemies this time (Trespasser puzzles, even the Captain Quark Fitness Course). I would say that the Challenge Mode is pretty easy in any difficulty mode, but that's beause I have played all mainline Ratchet games way too many times now, so anything from the series would feel easy to me at this point.
Oh yeah, me too. I've just finished the game in Hard mode. I'm just not fussed on Challenge mode ramping up the difficulty any more whilst I'm really just in it for hoovering up trophies.

Also, I was a little surprised I didn't get the Trespasser trophy on my first run-through. Are there hidden puzzles I might have missed, or does it glitch?

Burbeting

Banned
Also, I was a little surprised I didn't get the Trespasser trophy on my first run-through. Are there hidden puzzles I might have missed, or does it glitch?

There are hidden puzzles in few planets, that mostly hide either Ryno cards or in one case, a gold bolt.

Ratchet & Clank PS2 Soundtrack Over PS4 Gameplay

Love this so much. Most of them still fit well.

Quartu sounds hilariously off though with the overhauled look. The outside part could probably fit better with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYoK540doSI
I agree lots of the modern tracks are lacking distinct personality that differentiated the stages, but they don't exactly mesh well with the cinema-like quality of the PS4 visuals. Perhaps having it re-orchastrated would have been a better route than simply generic cinema scoring.

krae_man

Be honest with me, mate.

What difficulty are you playing this on?

I played on hard and didn't have any trouble with any of them once I remembered I could turn off rings this time. If I ever got stuck it was for only a few seconds till I remembered that.

A lot of the puzzles had rings that only could have one placement which cut down on possible solutions.

Just got my precious platinum. It was the 50th, too :)
I'm leaving behind 100 duplicates, 2.6 million bolts and 342 raritanium.

Insomniac, don't make me wait too long for the next one!

Illucio

Banned
Difficulty affects the puzzles. Were you playing on hard?

Not that I think they aren't straightforward if you know the method to solving them. (I imagine people who just guess and check would find them frustrating). This is the only door hacker gadget that's actually puzzle based and not reflex based lol.

Be honest with me, mate.

What difficulty are you playing this on?

Yes I was playing on hard.

And are they harder on hard mode? I never played easy mode to see if there was a difference.

edit: Does challenge mode makes the puzzles harder on top of hard mode? I haven't played challenge mode yet and I'm assuming you guys are referring to that.

hbkdx12

My one complaint with this game is that the weapon transformations when you hit level 5 are kind of crap. I wish it was more significant.

I also hate that they don't transform again at level 10.

hbkdx12

Holy crap. Getting the plat sounds like a chore.

As far as weapons go, the game is pretty well balanced that you can pretty much level everything to the max on a second playthrough on challenge mode. Further, there's a couple places you can farm for xp although its not really all that necessary.

G-Bus

Banned
Been playing for a week or so now. So happy insomniac decided to do this. More please!

Not sure how far I'm at. 7 planets "unlocked" or so.

That first hover board race... Damn. I was gona make this my first platinum game but I don't know now. Playing on hard as well and it's been a good challenge thus far.

Going to let the couch absorb me tonight and put some time into this lovely game. Having a blast.

Been playing for a week or so now. So happy insomniac decided to do this. More please!

That first hover board race... Damn. I was gona make this my first platinum game but I don't know now. Playing on hard as well and it's been a good challenge thus far.

Going to let the couch absorb me tonight and put some time into this lovely game. Having a blast.
Lowering the difficulty won't affect any of the trophies. Feel free to drop it if it is giving you too tough of a time.

Chaostar

Lowering the difficulty won't affect any of the trophies. Feel free to drop it if it is giving you too tough of a time.

Also, activating 'cheats' in the menu doesn't effect trophies so try turning the game speed down to make it easier for yourself. Well worth sticking with it, just got my plat today :)

Humdinger

Really enjoying the game. Unlike others, I like the dumb humor. Makes me chuckle. I find the game hard to put down, but I'm rationing it out, so that I don't blow through it too quickly. I just finished the Snagglebeast, who was tougher than I expected. I played through the PS3 version of the first game a few years ago (and played the original a decade ago), so a lot of this is familiar -- and yet, they've done so much to change/update it, those sections still feel new to me.

Great game. My favorite of the year, so far.

psychotron

After playing Dark Souls every day since release, I finally fired this up. Smile on my face the whole time. It's beautiful, and I've missed R&C so much.

Top Bottom