• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Rich!

Sooooo

The datel SD media launcher site states it supports SD of only up to 4gb. Is this definitely the case? If it supports SDHC already (4gb) why would it not work with 8gb?

Reason being, mine is coming in the post today and I realised I don't have anything below 8gb at home. And I've looked into three stores now on the way to work and none sell any SD media below 8gb! And I really wanted to try this out tonight.

Anyone able to clarify?

Peagles

Sooooo

The datel SD media launcher site states it supports SD of only up to 4gb. Is this definitely the case? If it supports SDHC already (4gb) why would it not work with 8gb?

Reason being, mine is coming in the post today and I realised I don't have anything below 8gb at home. And I've looked into three stores now on the way to work and none sell any SD media below 8gb! And I really wanted to try this out tonight.

Anyone able to clarify?

It doesn't support SDHC, that's why it can only use up to 4GB.

Once you use it to launch something like Swiss, however, you're free to use SDHC.

Galdelico

I had the same problem, I just used a CC instead of PayPal.
It finally went through! As suggested by the PayPal guy who contacted me, I set British Pound as my exchange value for my PayPal account (which has Euro as primary currency, of course), and the order is now 'paid and shipped'. Yay.

Rich!

Just bought a platinum (to go with my gamecube) game boy player base on ebay!

£12 shipping included. No startup disc, but I'll be using GBI anyhow

nateify

Whoa... Is there any way to modify a first revision Wii to basically make it like GameCube? Put Nintendont on autostart etc... I don't play as much GameCube games as I want because I am too lazy to fiddle with Wii Remote just to launch GameCube game from the disc.

A homebrew'd Wii can be set to boot to Homebrew Channel by default, which supports GC controller for navigation. With this you can go from boot to Nintendont without a wiimote or IR adapter.

I take it that this doesn't mean mutilating the GC case?

Exactly.

ZSDhzHK.png

Even VGPerfection's current HDMI board is a much cleaner install that what was originally done with the Pluto board.

Purdy

How much should I be looking to spend on a new or near new condition RE4 Platinum Console? Struggling to pick between that, the og purple (although people selling as 'good' condition and they look like shit) or a custom one

Rich!

How much should I be looking to spend on a new or near new condition RE4 Platinum Console? Struggling to pick between that, the og purple (although people selling as 'good' condition and they look like shit) or a custom one

Well, I got a brand new platinum a couple of years back for a good enough price that I even took a photo:

Y9VkM.jpg

This was after I modded the controllers second stick

Purdy

Well, I got a brand new platinum a couple of years back for a good enough price that I even took a photo:

http://i.imgur.com/Y9VkM.jpg[/img

This was after I modded the controllers second stick[/QUOTE]

Not bad 😂

Is the RE4 version worth much more? Also any recommendations in not getting the arse ripped out of me trying to find a component cable in uk?

Rich!

Not bad 😂

Is the RE4 version worth much more? Also any recommendations in not getting the arse ripped out of me trying to find a component cable in uk?

It helped that I ran a blockbuster at the time and had full access to the inventory database. That was traded in as a game! When they were knocked down in price, that was reduced too. And I got 20% off!

I personally don't think the re model is worth much. It's just the jewel and you can buy those on their own.

And about the component cables...if you have a CRT,don't bother. Our PAL cubes support RGB SCART! Otherwise, yeah it's hella expensive.

Purdy

It helped that I ran a blockbuster at the time and had full access to the inventory database. That was traded in as a game! When they were knocked down in price, that was reduced too. And I got 20% off!

I personally don't think the re model is worth much. It's just the jewel and you can buy those on their own.

And about the component cables...if you have a CRT,don't bother. Our PAL cubes support RGB SCART! Otherwise, yeah it's hella expensive.

Yeah unfortunately no access to a CRT :(

Scart on a 1080p or 4K tv will look turd I guess?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Took a few weeks, but I finished Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. I really liked it, and I definitely think it benefitted from being on a console rather than a portable. Just an incredibly satisfying game all-around. Probably a little on the easy side (I had so much exp and money I could've distributed but didn't) for the series, but still challenging. Those slip-ups when you're like 1 turn away from winning still sting like nothing else.

So, I'm really glad I finally took the time to play it. I'm not sure how Radiant Dawn stacks up, but I suppose I should get around to that one sometime soon.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Took a few weeks, but I finished Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. I really liked it, and I definitely think it benefitted from being on a console rather than a portable. Just an incredibly satisfying game all-around. Probably a little on the easy side (I had so much exp and money I could've distributed but didn't) for the series, but still challenging. Those slip-ups when you're like 1 turn away from winning still sting like nothing else.

So, I'm really glad I finally took the time to play it. I'm not sure how Radiant Dawn stacks up, but I suppose I should get around to that one sometime soon.

Better in some ways and worse in others. Ultimately if you liked PoR I imagine you will like RD though.

That is sexy. I don't think I'd want to give up the original port though, especially since I have component cables. It's not possible IIRC, but having the HDMI port beside the existing two ports so they are all lined up would be slick.

prateeko

Exactly.

ZSDhzHK.png

Even VGPerfection's current HDMI board is a much cleaner install that what was originally done with the Pluto board.

I've very much been out of the loop and while I have a DOL-001 along with a set of component cables, I'd LOVE to get my HDMI on. I'm located in the US and have no idea how widely available this is or how to get it done. Would anyone be so kind as to give me a quick run down on it? I am not sure if it's proof of concept or if these are places that will actually mod systems (established setup) yet...

There are places that mod it in today but most are pretty busy. It's expensive ($$$) since it uses an FPGA and if I were you I'd just stick to the component cables, but theoretically you could sell them and get it done and have cash leftover.

Rich!

So my SD media launcher arrived yesterday

Disc is fine, no issues. The card reader however is shit. It barely works.

I've ordered a wiikey replacement on eBay for £2 so it's not a huge issue. But yeah, goddamnit datel. The N64 action replay and equaliser were shitty build quality too.

Galdelico

So my SD media launcher arrived yesterday

Disc is fine, no issues. The card reader however is shit. It barely works.

I've ordered a wiikey replacement on eBay for £2 so it's not a huge issue. But yeah, goddamnit datel. The N64 action replay and equaliser were shitty build quality too.
Ugh, doesn't feel good at all to read that, as I still have to get mine. :/

televator

It's just cheap. It works, but you just need to make sure yore making good contact with connectors. For me, that meant shoving the card in with a little more force.

Yeah the card reader has really really poor build quality, you have to make sure the card is pushed all the way down too. It's not like a standard SD card slot, that locks down or springs back up. I thought it was overly expensive considering the build quality of it.

Galdelico

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to follow your tips, when it'll arrive.

Today, I've got my Game Boy Player in, and the first test has been honestly pretty awesome. Fantastic conditions (I know I could've gone for a cheaper, loose GBP, especially since I'll be using it with the GBI, but I still wanted a complete set to keep in my collection), it works great and - even if I know the IQ is quite rough - I still enjoyed playing some Final Fight One, Chomakaimura R and KOF Ex 2 on my Trinitron.

As an aside, did any of you ever replace the rubber feet of the GBP? I don't know if it's because the one I've got has barely been used, but one of them is pretty loose and doesn't grip at all, so I was thinking about buying some new ones. They look standard 10mm diameter, but I can't really figure out their exact thikness.

Rich!

heh

so, here's some further evidence that the sd media launcher dongle is shit and fails to load even 1mb files correctly:

anyhow, the wiikey SD I ordered to replace it was shipped out yesterday! hooray! ...by china surface mail. fuck.

shanafan

anyhow, the wiikey SD I ordered to replace it was shipped out yesterday! hooray! ...by china surface mail. fuck.

You should get it by 2017 at least!

I am waiting on a Retro Receiver from Play-Asia. I have no clue when it will arrive.

Rich!

You should get it by 2017 at least!

I am waiting on a Retro Receiver from Play-Asia. I have no clue when it will arrive.

play asia are usually fine for me...I do always choose fedex though. Takes about 5 days to get to me here in the UK each time.

and yeah...I've just ordered another wii sd adapter but with faster shipping. I'll end up with two, but that's fine!

Galdelico

Aside from that guide on GC Forever forums, is there any step-by-step video tutorial for massive dummies, on what to do in order to run the latest version of the GBI?

I just got the Media Launcher in the mail (hopefully it won't be as shitty as yours, Rich!) and downloaded both zip files from GC Forums links, but I still don't get if there's some specific boot-up procedure to follow, in order to run both the Action Replay disc and the actual GBA carts.

Peltz

This was after I modded the controllers second stick
You monster. /s

But, I kind of like the idea of assymetrical sticks, not just in placement, but also in terms of length,dead zone, acceleration and sensitivity. The Wii remote + nunchuck setup felt almost like an evolution of that assymetry (we never should have gotten away from that in my humble opinion).

Kinda bummed that all controllers have two same-like sticks now. Not sure why. But it feels a little too "forgiving" to developers now. All camera controls feel so standard these days that it no longer feels like controlling the camera is allowed to be unique. Games that mess with this (like Starfox Zero) are met with such unfair criticism in my humble opinion.

PS Starfox Zero has its problems, but challenging the player to adapt to a difficult control scheme should not be so frowned upon in general. Too many games look and feel the same because they all have such similar camera placement and controls these days. You'd never have a new game like Super Monkey Ball that would map movement and camera controls to the same stick anymore... And that lack of experimentation in today's market kinda sucks.

I loved and still have my black Gamecube. 3rd party support was also pretty good at that time and Resident Evil was epic! I played many hours of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, Sega Soccer Slam, and even Beach Spikers.

I know it won't happen, but I wish Nintendo would go 'simple' with NX with a Gamecube like box and wireless controllers (with beefed up hardware internals).

Peltz

I'd love to check out this game today. I genuinely feel like every Fire Emblem is good.

Unfortunately, I never finish them though. They're a bit on the time consuming side.

Aside from that guide on GC Forever forums, is there any step-by-step video tutorial for massive dummies, on what to do in order to run the latest version of the GBI?

I just got the Media Launcher in the mail (hopefully it won't be as shitty as yours, Rich!) and downloaded both zip files from GC Forums links, but I still don't get if there's some specific boot-up procedure to follow, in order to run both the Action Replay disc and the actual GBA carts.

No unfortunately there isn't I don't know how they expect people to use this stuff. I haven't tested it out in a bit so I don't remember exactly. Once you get the files on the SD Media Launcher, you need to pick one of the GBI.dol files to launch it, I don't remember exactly how to set it up on the SD card sorry. I really wish someone would make a wiki page or something.

Galdelico

No unfortunately there isn't I don't know how they expect people to use this stuff. I haven't tested it out in a bit so I don't remember exactly. Once you get the files on the SD Media Launcher, you need to pick one of the GBI.dol files to launch it, I don't remember exactly how to set it up on the SD card sorry. I really wish someone would make a wiki page or something.
Yeah, it seems a bit tricky.

I mean, first things first, it actually works. :D
I downloaded those two zip files from this link and extracted them straight into the SD card, with my PC. Slapped the SD card into the Media Launcher, the latter and the Action Replay disc that came with the reader into the Game Cube - seems like I've been lucky so far, as it read the card and its contents just fine - and turned the console on. From the menu that came up immediately after, I ran the gbi-ll.dol for a quick test. Without me doing anything, it booted the cart I had previously put into my GB Player (Japanese F-Zero), which is now running beautifully as I'm writing. It's some night and day kind of difference already, compared to the GB Player start-up disc... 240p, scrolling is super smooth with no apparent stuttering, and RGB is freaking bright now.

That said, problems:
- it doesn't seem to like my Wave Bird controller, as it doesn't register any input, and I had to plug in my regular wired joypad (is that a common issue?)
- I can't seem to find a way to recall the GBI settings, as it's mentioned in the guide
- resetting the console doesn't seem to kick me back to the Action Reply menu, but it restarts the Game Boy Player itself...
- not really sure how am I supposed to change carts

- resetting the console doesn't seem to kick me back to the Action Reply menu, but it restarts the Game Boy Player itself...

This is seriously my favorite thing about it.

- not really sure how am I supposed to change carts

Doesn't come up much unless I'm just playing around with the thing but what I did was hold reset, eject cart (side slideythingy), let go of reset, change cart, reset again.

Galdelico

This is seriously my favorite thing about it.

Doesn't come up much unless I'm just playing around with the thing but what I did was hold reset, eject cart (side slideythingy), let go of reset, change cart, reset again.

Ha, ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

Still not sure about the settings, unless it's something you have to edit by actually messing around with the files you put into the SD card...
Trying the Ultra Low Latency mode, now, but I'm just watching the game rolling demo. Should there be any noticeable visual improvement over the LL mode? I'm still using a Sony Trinitron CRT TV, and I can't really tell any difference, between the two. Resolution and screen size look the same to me.

Edit 1 --- ULL mode seems to introduce small graphical glitches here and there, as some weird horizontal lines over the map (with F-Zero), at the bottom/left corner of the screen.

Edit 2 --- Even with no tinkering, just straight out of the box and on a very average CRT, this thing looks fucking incredible. You weren't lying guys.
Final Fight One... Holy shit.

Edit 3 --- Tested out some Gunstar Super Heroes and Sonic Advance. Man, this GBI is wonderful. Games look gorgeous in 240p (I'm using LL mode), and the smoother framerate/brighter RGB gamma completely change the experience. Fingers crossed everything will be fine with my upcoming PVM, because I can't wait to try it on that too.

Edit 4 with random questions ---
- any negative to use LL mode as it comes out of the zip file? Tweaking the settings seems a little bit too obscure, as for right now, so I'd gladly keep it all with its preset values, in case there's anything that specifically needs to be changed (I don't know, I'm thinking about screen ratio, maybe some graphic filter or zoom option turned on by default...).
- it's not like I hate black borders, but still... Is there any way to use backgrounds with the GBI (just like with the Game Boy Player)?
- since I'm not gonna use Swiss or the additional frames with the original Game Boy Player, I deleted all the extra files from the SD card, and only left the 3 dol (GBI, LL and ULL). Everything seems to work just fine, but I'd still like to know whether I nuked something it needed to stay or not.

Mega

Banned
If I remember this right, GBI LL and ULL have no on screen settings, only regular GBI. I think I had the same problem with the Wavebird as you did which doesn't bug me anyway. I use the SNES controller with an adapter. The glitches are probably your monitor's slight incompatibilities with ULL. This mode will not even run on some monitors.

I'd love to check out this game today. I genuinely feel like every Fire Emblem is good.

Unfortunately, I never finish them though. They're a bit on the time consuming side.

I got the Gamecube and Wii FEs in the past week, figuring it would be best before they become obscenely expensive and impossible to find. Have had the first 3DS game for like a year too... I really want to play them but don't know when I'll ever get around to it. I played quick arcade style shooters on Wii this weekend and that itself took up a fair amount of time. A genius scientist needs to solve the sleep "problem" so we can be rid of our backlogs!

Peltz

If I remember this right, GBI LL and ULL have no on screen settings, only regular GBI. I think I had the same problem with the Wavebird as you did which doesn't bug me anyway. I use the SNES controller with an adapter. The glitches are probably your monitor's slight incompatibilities with ULL. This mode will not even run on some monitors.

I got the Gamecube and Wii FEs in the past week, figuring it would be best before they become obscenely expensive and impossible to find. Have had the first 3DS game for like a year too... I really want to play them but don't know when I'll ever get around to it. I played quick arcade style shooters on Wii this weekend and that itself took up a fair amount of time. A genius scientist needs to solve the sleep "problem" so we can be rid of our backlogs!
Well there's Adderall...

Top Bottom