• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Try bomberman jetters if you liked the 64 bomberman games.
The main stuff I have left to get for Gamecube is cubivore, gotcha force (again), the monkey balls, and Billy hatcher.

Was Jetters actually good? I seem to recall it getting kinda crappy reviews, while everyone seemed to really like Generations.

Was Jetters actually good? I seem to recall it getting kinda crappy reviews, while everyone seemed to really like Generations.
The gameplay for the two is nearly identical. They're okay games, but disappointing compared to the better Bomberman games. I wanted another Bomberman 3d platformer like Bomberman 64, but Generation and Jetters sadly are not that... and the multiplayer, while fun, isn't as great as the best 2d Bombermans, either. Still, they are okay games, I guess. But do you need both? Only if you like the formula, probably.

Oh yeah, and Jetters makes a LOT more sense once you realize that in Japan, it released in December 2002, only six months after Generation released in both the US and Japan in June '02. In the US however it didn't release until March 2004, so people were expecting more than just more Generation, visually and gameplay-wise, but it's not there... because there was a short turnaround between the two in their original releases.

Galdelico

So weird, I keep getting my SD Media Launcher order cancelled on Codejunkes, because PayPal can't process the payment, apparently. It's becoming kinda frustrating, as neither PayPal and Codejunkies are able to tell me what's going on. :/

I have a good collection of about 40 GC games in PAL. I think I might start selling some of it off too. No good sitting there. I know I'll never play them. And everything is going online now.

I have pretty much all the top games. Except a few JRPGs. I think I have most if not all EAD and IntSys stuff.

Doshin the Giant.
Harvest Moon
Odama with Mic
3-4 Wavebirds
1024 memory card
Gameboy player.
GBA to GC link cables.
3 bongo drums

Peltz

So weird, I keep getting my SD Media Launcher order cancelled on Codejunkes, because PayPal can't process the payment, apparently. It's becoming kinda frustrating, as neither PayPal and Codejunkies are able to tell me what's going on. :/
This happened to me too!

I ended up finally ordering it successfully after a few more days. Their payment system is whack as fuck. Don't use PayPal on their site. Just use a credit card.

Following in the footsteps of darcagn on the shmups forum I've moved the capacitor that stands in the way of the HDMI board. Needs a slim HDMI cable to fit in the open port but it's a decent fit now.

KD3hS6G.jpg

Now just have to wire the board up again this weekend and cross my fingers.

Mega

Banned
This happened to me too!

I ended up finally ordering it successfully after a few more days. Their payment system is whack as fuck. Don't use PayPal on their site. Just use a credit card.

I used PayPal without a problem but this was back in September so maybe something changed on their site.

Is there a Wii appreciation thread? Always felt terrible about my sad, little collection of Wii games compared to my Gamecube collection. After stumbling into a couple of threads like Overlooked Wii Gems, I was very surprised at how much I missed out on and feel bad for thinking it was all shovelware outside of the usual Nintendo fare. I've been chasing after dozens of "hidden gems" on the system. . I had a bit of fun with Ghost Squad and Rhythm Heaven Fever this weekend!

Following in the footsteps of darcagn on the shmups forum I've moved the capacitor that stands in the way of the HDMI board. Needs a slim HDMI cable to fit in the open port but it's a decent fit now.

Now just have to wire the board up again this weekend and cross my fingers.
Wait, is the an HDMI mod without defacing the case?!

Yesterday I decided I will be selling my WiiU. I've had it since launch and only have 3 games on it (XenoX, Smash and Splatoon. All great games). I came to realize that I won't be giving it much more use. Same stuff happened with the Wii (only had metroid prime 3 and twilight princess).

All this made me angry because I sold my gamecube a few years ago with all my games when I was in need of some quick cash. It's my favorite nintendo console and I'll probably never invest again to build another collection of it :(

televator

Yesterday I decided I will be selling my WiiU. I've had it since launch and only have 3 games on it (XenoX, Smash and Splatoon. All great games). I came to realize that I won't be giving it much more use. Same stuff happened with the Wii (only had metroid prime 3 and twilight princess).

All this made me angry because I sold my gamecube a few years ago with all my games when I was in need of some quick cash. It's my favorite nintendo console and I'll probably never invest again to build another collection of it :(

Hacking the WiiU to play GameCube games is super easy. So you might reconsider getting rid of... Especially if you're concerned about the cost of rebuilding a GameCube collection...

Rich!

Uh...

Your Wii U is a GameCube. You can play GameCube games on it via homebrew. You can use real GameCube controllers via the USB adapter.

Don't sell it.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=927094

Hacking the WiiU to play GameCube games is super easy. So you might reconsider getting rid of... Especially if you're concerned about the cost of rebuilding a GameCube collection...

You're blowing my mind, Frank.

Is this risk free? I never did anything like this before and I'm afraid I'll brick the WiiU or something.

Galdelico

This happened to me too!

My buddy had an issue like that trying to order a flash cart. It's completely random who and when this happens to.

I used PayPal without a problem but this was back in September so maybe something changed on their site.

Oh boy, in a way I feel relieved - thanks for the feedback, guys - but on the other hand... What a shame it has to be such a hassle, especially since I only get pointless, automated replies from Codejunkies. :/
PayPal has been quite amazing, to be fair, and they gave me lots of info and help, so it turned out it may have happened because I still hadn't added UK Pound as a value option in my account, which I did, now. So I guess I'll wait for the second order to be cancelled tomorrow, and then try again.

Rich!

Oh boy, in a way I feel relieved - thanks for the feedback, guys - but on the other hand... What a shame it has to be such a hassle, especially since I only get pointless, automated replies from Codejunkies. :/
PayPal has been quite amazing, to be fair, and they gave me lots of info and help, so it turned out it may have happened because I still hadn't added UK Pound as a value option in my account, which I did, now. So I guess I'll wait for the second order to be cancelled tomorrow, and then try again.

I ordered mine via PayPal earlier today and it was shipped almost immediately after. No issue whatsoever.

UK though, maybe that makes a difference.

I had the same problem, I just used a CC instead of PayPal.

After using Nintendon't I rather use that. HDMI for best quality+all your Gamecube games on one usb drive is a godsend.

Nothing has changed as far as needing a Backwards compatible Wii to rip the GC discs, right? I still have a couple Wii's but none of them are BC.

shanafan

even if you do, nintendont supports the gamecube bios. you can have it work exactly as a gamecube if you wanted, complete with boot screen and the eerie menu

I found out this now after dropping $200 on the component cable? :D Those features are main reasons why I have my GameCube hooked up.

IrishNinja

i adore my purple lunchbox & don't like the idea of shelving it again one day, having component cables helps

After using Nintendon't I rather use that. HDMI for best quality+all your Gamecube games on one usb drive is a godsend.

..but yeah, this does sound pretty baller too

Rich!

i adore my purple lunchbox & don't like the idea of shelving it again one day, having component cables helps

..but yeah, this does sound pretty baller too

and the option of proper widescreen without glitches on numerous games, including metroid prime and smash bros

I think I ended up with two of those Zelda promotional discs since I wrote an e-mail or letter to Nintendo saying I had never received the one I originally sent off for.

They said, sorry we'll send another one, and then the first one appears.

So somewhere, I've got a sealed copy of it. Probably the one "rare" game I have.

I'm still pissed that I know I had a pair of component cables, but I'll be damned if I can find them.
That happened to me back on the Nintendo Europe website. I was supposed to get a copy, it didn't arrive so they sent me one.

Yup, you have to relocate the big capacitor that stands in the way of the board but once that's gone there is just enough room for the board to rest in the console without having to cut the case to make it accessible.
How easy/difficult was it? I don't think I'd ever attempt something like this myself, would need to find someone to do it.

televator

You're blowing my mind, Frank.

Is this risk free? I never did anything like this before and I'm afraid I'll brick the WiiU or something.

WiiU firmware updates don't affect vWii functionality so in that sense it's risk free. There's always a chance to brick anything when hacking/modding, but I'm telling you it's super simple. You have Rich, Timu, and I for guidance; and there's in depth tutorials everywhere. I recommend a method called Bathaxx. IMO, it's the easiest and most safe way.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
even if you do, nintendont supports the gamecube bios. you can have it work exactly as a gamecube if you wanted, complete with boot screen and the eerie menu
That part is news to me. I think I'd like that bootscreen back ;)

Rich!

That's the main reason to own a Gamecube along side a Wii U.=p Though I wouldn't be surprised if something like that gets worked on for Wii U in the future.

ehhh, it's not really possible.

the gamecube player is literally a gameboy advance. The only difference is that the input and video framebuffer is passed through via serial (ie. fast as hell) to the GC.

There's no way of doing that on the Wii U.

shanafan

I got the forwarder installed, but where is my eerie menu? Did you mean this?

hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom