• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Galdelico

If I remember this right, GBI LL and ULL have no on screen settings, only regular GBI. I think I had the same problem with the Wavebird as you did which doesn't bug me anyway. I use the SNES controller with an adapter. The glitches are probably your monitor's slight incompatibilities with ULL. This mode will not even run on some monitors.

That's great, thanks.
Yeah, it's very minor stuff, but I find LL working just fine for my tastes and needs, so I'll stick with that mode, for now.

Guys, the Wavebird should work if you hold R on GBI boot.

Ha, awesome. I'll try it out tonight.
For a second I thought about getting one of those Hori controllers... But their average price, jeez, it's nightmare fuel. :/

And Rich, speaking of the SD Media Launcher, did you try cleaning your SD card's contacts and just force it in a little bit, until it doesn't move around at all? The reader is indeed a hunk of plastic, but I don't seem to have any problem with the whole set.

I got the Gamecube and Wii FEs in the past week, figuring it would be best before they become obscenely expensive and impossible to find.

Before?

I really want to play them but don't know when I'll ever get around to it. I

I buy games like this all the time. Usually it's sales or wanting to get games new before they go out of print and the only option is crummy used games with EBGames stickers/gunk all over it. Sincerely, the best thing to do it just let it sit if you don't want to play it now and just try a bit when you get the urge. If it sticks, keep going, if not it's just a part of your library for future use or sharing. It's still better to get ahold of it when the opportunity is good.

I'm actually really looking forward to having a kid to share all my Super Famicom games that I just never play. Maybe they'll be able to crack into Seiken Densetsu 3 or Thracia 776 in a way that I never could.

Mega

Banned
Before?

I buy games like this all the time. Usually it's sales or wanting to get games new before they go out of print and the only option is crummy used games with EBGames stickers/gunk all over it. Sincerely, the best thing to do it just let it sit if you don't want to play it now and just try a bit when you get the urge. If it sticks, keep going, if not it's just a part of your library for future use or sharing. It's still better to get ahold of it when the opportunity is good.

I'm actually really looking forward to having a kid to share all my Super Famicom games that I just never play. Maybe they'll be able to crack into Seiken Densetsu 3 or Thracia 776 in a way that I never could.

FE Wii can still be had for $40-60. I got FE GCN for $85 which was a bit tough to swallow, but that's as good as you can hope for when it mainly goes for $100+ unless you wanna sit and wait patiently for a phenomenal deal. These are both admittedly high for most used game buyers, but in my mind these are still around the original retail pricing and therefore reasonable for potentially hours of top-notch gameplay. My prior remark is in thinking of the future when these may possibly jump into a triple digit range where I flat out wouldn't buy out of principle.

I like your mentality. I put a lot of time into Xenoblade X, hit a bit of a wall with a mission and hope to come back to it some day. I'm a couple of hours into Twilight Princess on Gamecube and that's another on my list of games I will finish this year or maybe the next. It's nice to just have it there now as an option. And I hope my future kids take interest in some of my old games...

Although I won't force them if they prefer newer stuff or other hobbies! It's like I told someone here before, I would have been furious if my parents or other adult in my life took away my NES, Genesis, N64 or PS1 and forced me to play Atari or Colecovision... any stuff well before my time. My younger cousins and nephews really seem to like the games going back to Gamecube but really only if it ties to what they know and play today... Pokémon, Pikmin 1 and 2, 3D Zelda. As much as I would have liked, I didn't shove Sonic 2/3/Knuckles in their faces as "superior" when they were playing Sonic Boom, Unleashed, etc. Kids play whatever they're into at the moment and don't care about drawing those sorts of comparisons. One of them also really likes Hyrule Warriors now... a lot more than any actual Zelda game, although he's slowly warming up to OOT 3D, ALBW and the HD re-releases. He got a kick out of seeing me take down the final boss in Link's Awakening.

Hi! I'm a lurker of this thread, but the Gamecube is one of my favourite systems! I've never had anything of worth to contribute, but I just wanted to pass on the news that retroprotection is now offering Japanese Gamcube sized box protectors.

As far as I'm aware, this is the first place I've seen to do so, and it's something I know I for one I have been hoping somebody would make for a long time! Exciting~! Unfortunately isn't a double disc size, so sorry, killer7, you're going to have to stay naked. :(

http://www.retroprotection.com/category.sc?categoryId=169

I know there's a bunch of you who have Japanese imports, so I thought I'd let you guys know, if you didn't already.

Galdelico

It has correct aspect ratio but you lose cool borders and the usually crummy Super Gameboy palettes.

Usually I choose on a game by game basis.

That's true, but I guess it's a matter of tastes too. Many (myself included) seem to prefer playing with the black background on the GBP anyway. Personally, I do without borders no problem, when the leap in IQ and performance is so blatantly huge, as for GBI vs GBP.
I must say I don't own a SNES and a Super Game Boy, so I can't speak about it as well.

Rich!

That's true, but I guess it's a matter of tastes too. Many (myself included) seem to prefer playing with the black background on the GBP anyway. Personally, I do without borders no problem, when the leap in IQ and performance is so blatantly huge, as for GBI vs GBP.
I must say I don't own a SNES and a Super Game Boy, so I can't speak about it as well.

I have both...gbi is obviously superb for GBA and GBC games as well as arguably the majority of GB games as a whole due to the better options and scaling...however...

hhwaAmyl.jpg

This is what Donkey Kong looks like on my SGB2. There's nothing better for it than that.

Galdelico

Yeah, that's quite ideal.
If I owned a SF and a Super Game Boy, I'd be using that for sure, to play GB games. Unfortunately, I only have access to my GameCube + GBP, so my solution of choice is pretty obvious.

Speaking of GBI, did you manage to set it up in any way? You talk about 'better options', but I find it quite obscure, when it comes to change settings, to the point I'm currently using it with its default presets. Am I doing it wrong?

I have both...gbi is obviously superb for GBA and GBC games as well as arguably the majority of GB games as a whole due to the better options and scaling...however...

hhwaAmyl.jpg

This is what Donkey Kong looks like on my SGB2. There's nothing better for it than that.

Well damn now I need to get in on this.

c-murph

Just bought a GCN Component cable for "cheap" off ebay.
Cheap as in still damn expensive $200US!

Does it make any difference with GBA/GB games on the GB Player?

Galaga and Galaxian is pretty cool as it allows two player using two SNES pads when played on the SGB!

The Takara fighters do indeed also have this, and Bomberman GB one-up that with FOUR player support on the SNES, with a multitap of course! It's great, I like Bomberman GB more than Super Bomberman 1, myself, for SNES Bomberman multiplayer. I believe Wario Blast has this as well.

D.Lo

Just bought a GCN Component cable for "cheap" off ebay.
Cheap as in still damn expensive $200US!

Does it make any difference with GBA/GB games on the GB Player?
On my CRT a $10 RGB cable is just as good.

On the Framemeister the component cable has a more stable picture.

Oh man, thanks for bringing up GBI. I remember goofing around forcing 240p in Swiss but this looks like its on another level. Can't wait to give it a try soon!

Rich!

Oh man, thanks for bringing up GBI. I remember goofing around forcing 240p in Swiss but this looks like its on another level. Can't wait to give it a try soon!

It's awesome!

Bear in mind as well that you can run Goomba Color on it if you have a GBA flashcart...which means SGB borders and colours!

It's awesome!

Bear in mind as well that you can run Goomba Color on it if you have a flashcart...which means SGB borders and colours!

Oh wow, that's fantastic! I am lucky enough to have an EZ Flash IV (it's a hassle booting into Windows to use their weird software, but I don't have to do it often) and Goomba was really neat there

Seems like with Goomba and GBI you pretty much have the best way to play 99% of games released on any Game Boy!

Rich!

Oh wow, that's fantastic! I am lucky enough to have an EZ Flash IV (it's a hassle booting into Windows to use their weird software, but I don't have to do it often) and Goomba was really neat there

Seems like with Goomba and GBI you pretty much have the best way to play 99% of games released on any Game Boy!

Then don't use it! Use this:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ezgba-v0-1-0a-an-ez4-compatible-rom-patcher.395464/

No need to use the official ez flash patcher at all.

Rich!

Is this a fair trade? RE6 and prototype 2 for Rouge squadron (disc only). Im hesitant since i like having real box w. Art

No

You could sell those two and get a boxed copy of rogue leader. It's hardly expensive.

Hell, even on CEX here in the UK rogue leader boxed and complete is only a tenner. On eBay it's even cheaper.

Glowsquid

I got SW Rebel Strike today and to my surprise, I'm disliking the infamous on-foot sections less than I expected to. Like, they're not good but they're short and mindless enough that they don't disrupt the flow of the game too much.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Love the Wavebird. Ever since getting one I've used it exclusively for the Cube. I've wanted to get a platinum one, but never could get a good deal on one.

mechafan64

Neo Member
Can anyone recommend a well-fitting thumb grip for the grey stick? Many of the ones I've tried so far are a little too big and impede the full range of motion of the stick. Thanks!

prateeko

I've been out of the loop for a minute and was wondering if HDMI installation is available in the US? I don't have the technical skill to do it myself so I'd be looking for an installer. I tried searching around and everything I can find right now appears to be in the UK.

Timu

I've been out of the loop for a minute and was wondering if HDMI installation is available in the US? I don't have the technical skill to do it myself so I'd be looking for an installer. I tried searching around and everything I can find right now appears to be in the UK.
it is but they tend to be out of stock often.

I mentioned before about Japanese Gamecube box protectors a little earlier in the thread, but I got them in the mail, and I recently bought Path of Radiance, so I thought I'd show them off. I know some of you collect Japanese games as well, and know how fragile those cardboard slipcovers are. So here's a way to keep them in good shape!

I've got boxes for my GB, SFC and N64 games, so I'm really glad somebody finally offers these for Japanese Gamecube games, too! :) Very happy with them.

prateeko

The only $100 one that appears to be available is the disc drive thing. Still nothing for HDMI/GCVideo.
Whoops I thought you were referring to that.

So is this mod supposed to run $100? Or is that just speculation? I suppose it should cost less than the component cables

EDIT: whoops I'm all confused. I didn't realize they were making a plug and play HDMI. That's exciting

Impotaku

I mentioned before about Japanese Gamecube box protectors a little earlier in the thread, but I got them in the mail, and I recently bought Path of Radiance, so I thought I'd show them off. I know some of you collect Japanese games as well, and know how fragile those cardboard slipcovers are. So here's a way to keep them in good shape!

I've got boxes for my GB, SFC and N64 games, so I'm really glad somebody finally offers these for Japanese Gamecube games, too! :) Very happy with them.

I was pretty excited when i saw those protectors too, it has been so long waiting for someone to finally make protectors for the games that actually needed them the most. Makes me annoyed a bit when all you see out there are protectors for games that don't need them like games in dvd cases & megadrive boxes & yet the super fragile GC card slip covers were getting totally ignored. Glad that they do exist now, retroprotection deserve a medal for making them. Just hoping that they get around to the double disk game cases as i have 7 that need protection too.

c9d4538850.jpg

Spent several hours putting together 100+ protectors, they fit amazingly well. Haven't taken updated pics with them all armoured up but heres my GC colletion so far, it's taken a lot of care to keep those card sleeves in like new condition. Bought nearly all from brand new so it meant i was blessed with non tatty cases. I dread to think how hard it is nowdays to find mint Jpn GC games.

c9b5635e74.jpg

c9b5957d44.jpg

c9b5fccb0f.jpg

c9b66a838c.jpg

c9b689a624.jpg

c9b68c4562.jpg

c9b6bbbae9.jpg

c9b6c2cef1.jpg

c9b73eac16.jpg

c9b736852c.jpg

c9b7693e09.jpg

c9b7b31eac.jpg

c9b8639743.jpg

c9b8621142.jpg

c9b8744342.jpg

c9b911aec0.jpg

c9b94cbf7f.jpg

c9b9782799.jpg

c9b983679c.jpg

c9b9a772ab.jpg

c9b9ad5fab.jpg

c9b9b041fe.jpg

c9b9bdf762.jpg

c9b9c03795.jpg

c9b9cced3c.jpg

c9b9ce8667.jpg

c9b9e232c7.jpg

Peltz

I may be wasted right now, but all of those boxes look cool af

Yo... Miami is a dope place for a bachelor party. Just saying

I was pretty excited when i saw those protectors too, it has been so long waiting for someone to finally make protectors for the games that actually needed them the most. Makes me annoyed a bit when all you see out there are protectors for games that don't need them like games in dvd cases & megadrive boxes & yet the super fragile GC card slip covers were getting totally ignored. Glad that they do exist now, retroprotection deserve a medal for making them. Just hoping that they get around to the double disk game cases as i have 7 that need protection too.

Importaku, your photos were such a joy to look through. You have an excellent collection! Japanese Gamecube packaging is so wonderful! Unfortunately, only one or two of my Japanese Gamecube games are first hand, so I can vouch for it being quite hard to find slipcovers that aren't dog-earred. :( The round edges of the plastic case underneath certainly don't help!

I can't believe nobody made protectors in Japanese Gamecube game size for so long, I guess it assumed to be too small a niche, but I'm just really grateful somebody finally did! I sure hope retroprotection end up offering a double disc sized protector. I have MGS: TTS and killer7 that need protecting!

Got my first two imports coming in hopefully soon. Might look into getting a few of these.

Nice! What games are coming your way?

Top Bottom