• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

Noogy

Bought SOTN last night, first time play through and very much LTTP.

Damn, that opening was awesome. Would have absolutely blew my mind back in the mid 90s.

It was fantastic. It's actually a repeat of the ending of Rondo of Blood for PC-engine, imagine how amazing it was to play SOTN as a HUGE fan of Japanese-only Rondo back then. Of course people thought I was crazy.

im_dany

Yea, if anything it says more about this generation tbh.

Seeing as how they're still announcing old-gen portings and mid-gen consoles upgrades, I'd say this gen is one of the worst ever.

We still got Titanfall though so it was still worth it.

EvB

I'd Love FH1 BC as a pre-order bonus for FH3.

Probably not gonna happen due to licensing though, but we can hope

It's probably less difficult , as it's the same game unmodified and modern licensing contracts will have allowed for digital distribution from the start.

Forza Horizon is one on my testing list, so I don't think it's impossible for it to show up

after playing through just Cause 2 on Xbox 1 BC (its runs really well on X1)
I'm now going through Alan Wake again. I quite enjoyed Quantum Break but Alan Wake was really very good.

AW also runs nicely on X1.

naitosan

Having all the Dead Rising games on X1 would be awesome!

For some reason I have really good feeling Microsoft and Capcom will announce Dead Rising 4 at E3 and comes with Dead Rising 1 and 2 + Case West BC.

Last time I read anything from Capcom Vancouver that they're partnering with Epic to use UE4 for future projects. Also they were hiring.

watdaeff4

I considered making this a separate thread but still fits in well here......

I truly believe what MS is doing with BC is one of the best things this gen (at least for me). I have both
(all 3)
consoles, but often am buying certain 3rd parties games for the XB1 due to the 360 "free" games being thrown in with it. e.g. Fallout 4, Rainbow Six Siege (though I likely would have bought this on XB1 anyway) and Dark Souls 3 to name a few.

Just Cause 3 is probably the only game I bought for my PS4 instead that had a "free" 360 game attached with it. And frankly, the big reason behind that is that it was on a PSN sale and I wound up getting JC2 for only ~$3 anyway.

In the future, I would be surprised if Halo Wars isn't included with Halo Wars 2.

Looking through my library, I came across these games - that I actually want to play and haven't played before - that I got for "free" one way or another (either bonus games as mentioned earlier, GwG, etc)

Alan Wake +DLC
Borderlands
Saints Row IV
Dark Souls
Dead Space
Fallout 3 - I did start this last gen but never finished
Gears of War 3 and Judgement
Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2
Witcher 2

I've been spoiled by this and to be frank would love to see this more.

Yoday

I considered making this a separate thread but still fits in well here......

I truly believe what MS is doing with BC is one of the best things this gen (at least for me). I have both
(all 3)
consoles, but often am buying certain 3rd parties games for the XB1 due to the 360 "free" games being thrown in with it. e.g. Fallout 4, Rainbow Six Siege (though I likely would have bought this on XB1 anyway) and Dark Souls 3 to name a few.

Just Cause 3 is probably the only game I bought for my PS4 instead that had a "free" 360 game attached with it. And frankly, the big reason behind that is that it was on a PSN sale and I wound up getting JC2 for only ~$3 anyway.

In the future, I would be surprised if Halo Wars isn't included with Halo Wars 2.

Looking through my library, I came across these games - that I actually want to play and haven't played before - that I got for "free" one way or another (either bonus games as mentioned earlier, GwG, etc)

Alan Wake +DLC
Borderlands
Saints Row IV
Dark Souls
Dead Space
Fallout 3 - I did start this last gen but never finished
Gears of War 3 and Judgement
Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2
Witcher 2

I've been spoiled by this and to be frank would love to see this more.
It really has been fantastic. It helps that last gen games hold up much better than the previous two generations. Last gen is when most developers started to really refine and perfect control schemes, so despite the older visuals it is still easy to go back to the games. The two generations prior to the 360/PS3 feel so archaic due to the poor controls in most games that going back to older games through BC was much less appealing. I feel like we are seeing just the beginning of BC, as newer hardware should run the games much better. I love how MS is moving to this one continuous games library.

Not sure why people haven't rush to post this one yet... New thread worthy? :)

New titles added today:

- Final Fight: Double Impact
- Faery: Legends of Avalon
- Frogger 2
- Puzzlegeddon

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/730065048937345028
https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/730065110857859073

Still great and thankful to see new games added to backwards compatibility

FFS, Microsoft is just trolling us at this point. The voting feature is meaningless, just a smokescreen. If I wasn't on mobile I'd look up just how many votes those 4 games have, I'm curious.

bede-x

FFS, Microsoft is just trolling us at this point. The voting feature is meaningless, just a smokescreen. If I wasn't on mobile I'd look up just how many votes those 4 games have, I'm curious.

I'm actually glad it's meaningless. None of the games I want are among the top :)

speedomodel

I mean games on the top list have been confirmed to coming, but are they expected to halt bringing other games while those are in process? Bigger games are obviously harder to bring to BC and have work properly, I'm glad they are taking the time to get the easier/smaller titles out there while we wait for bigger names.

louiedog

It's not voting for which games will become BC, it's just gauging interest in what people want. It still comes down to what various publishers want to do. The feedback system helps them make those decisions, but it isn't the determining factor in anything.

arhra

Apparently Deus EX Director's Cut is multi disk??

They got it working? :O

made a thread about it, since I know a lot of people were asking about the DC last time it was BC:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=203129773

One of the lead engineers working on BC mentioned on a Twitch stream a while back that they had working solutions, it's just that it required custom work for each game (there was no consistent method used for disc-swapping on 360), which meant there was both more engineering work to get them running, then more testing to make sure their solution was robust enough.

Hopefully this is the first of many.

Finished Alan Wake and the 2 DLC's for the first time thanks to BC. Awesome game and glad MS is investing time/money into this. I'm working through AW:American Nightmare right now and I'm loving the focus on arcadey-shooting action over the drama suspense. Good shit! Keep the BC games coming!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

The voting has nothing to do with home much work it takes to get a game running. Really, look at the kind of things we get: Games from many publishers share a similar base (such as all the Genesis Collection titles, or ports published from devs like Backbone and Capcom). When they get one title under such an umbrella working, it's most likely comparatively trivial to get others working.

But the big games people keep asking for are pretty intensive, unique experiences. They don't share easy work with anything else. Like mentioned about the multi-disk games above, there's no single solution that just will get them all to work easily.

Honestly, I prefer it this way. If it all worked like people keep complaining about, we'd be limited to ONLY the big titles releasing every few months. As is now, we're getting a huge library of titles from a wide variety of genres and gameplay styles, and many of them barely have any games currently on the system as modern that compare.

And when big titles actually release, they're usually offered as GWG, or free pre-order bonuses with new upcoming titles. That's a hell of a lot of quality gaming for "free".

Every time I think about the fact that I'd have had to potentially pay 100s of dollars on Wii, Wii U or PS4 to replay the amount of games that XB1 Back-Compat has basically made available to me, with a host of new features, for free, it really helps ease the pain of key titles not showing up yet.

Unless those four games are all published by Microsoft it might be out of their hands anyway. The pubs have to OK it and as we have seen some of them would rather hold onto their BC games to use as promo tools for upcoming new entries.

yyr

Most ppl switced from xbox to the playstation this gen, not the other way around. So most ppl who owns an xbone also has or had a 360 and already played most of the 360 games they wanted to.

Just as the above poster did, I am using the BC mostly to play games that I bought or acquired for free over the last several years but never got around to playing. Or multiplayer things like Tekken that are still actually current.

You can have your "switced," I don't want it lol

Forsythia

Final Fight won't show up on my Xbox One. I have the full game according to Xbox.com (when I visit the page of the game), but it's not in my purchase history. I still have the full game on my 360 and can play it just fine, no demo. In the store on 360 it says I don't own the game however. What the hell MS. :/

mike4001_

Final Fight won't show up on my Xbox One. I have the full game according to Xbox.com (when I visit the page of the game), but it's not in my purchase history. I still have the full game on my 360 and can play it just fine, no demo. In the store on 360 it says I don't own the game however. What the hell MS. :/

Give it a few hours.

This has happened often when games were "just" added.

My guess is they are going to unload all of the top voted games at E3. We're so close now, might as well wait.

Not sure why people haven't rush to post this one yet... New thread worthy? :)

New titles added today:

- Final Fight: Double Impact
- Faery: Legends of Avalon
- Frogger 2
- Puzzlegeddon

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/730065048937345028
https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/730065110857859073

Still great and thankful to see new games added to backwards compatibility

Yesssss. One of my beloved classics.

It also gives me hope the Capcom arcade collection might make it eventually.

Chitown B

any chance it came preinstalled on your 360......? Hexic did that for me.

EvB

Which game is harder to get to run do you think?

Final Fight Double Impact
finalfightdoubleimpact19.jpg

Bioshock Infinite

Most of those games are "freebies".

Unlike Xbox emulation on 360, all of these games are running on the exact same emulator. Some games are more complex than others, and many games have unique programming quirks that may make them behave weirdly if the emulator isn't just right. Most of the games people want are much more complex, so they take much longer to get the emulation down. While Microsoft is working on the emulator to improve how it runs those games, many much simpler games become fully compatible as a(n intended) side effect. Most of their development work right now is probably directed towards getting some major releases running, like say, Skyrim, but at some point a tester plopped "Frogger 2" into the emulator and realized "Hey, this runs just fine, release it!"

This is basically the entire idea of what they're working towards anyway. While they're prioritizing compatibility with certain games, the goal is to get closer and closer to the point where they can just drop games into the emulator and they work, no effort required. While they're still working on complex games, it's clear they're starting to get to that point with the simpler ones.

Top Bottom