• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which MGS game has your favourite version of Snake?

Nottle

I wonder why people never pick Liquid, Solidus, or even Raiden for these? They all have had the codename snake.

My answer is absolutely MGS2 Solid Snake. Perfect look and attitude. Kurt Russell meets Clint Eastwood wrapped in a badass suit and injected with philosophy.

Visually Venom is a badass and he is tons of fun to control. The Diamond Dogs heartless sea speech sort of does it for me.

Jazzem

MGS1 easily, though it helps how well localized that game was compared to the sequels, plus Hayter's performance was spot on.

It's a shame Venom doesn't get a chance to shine in V, I really like Sutherland's performance but he's practically a mute character.

Embearded

Metal Gear Solid

I'd love a Fox Engine remake so much....
mgs1_solid_snake_by_georgesears1972-d6v1k8s.jpg

MGS3 easily if we are including Big Boss. Just the fact he is so relatable and likable in that game. Not to say I hate Solid Snake, but his character is wasted on such a disaster of a story that really taints the experience. MGS3 is where it's at for pretty much everything.

Yep. This.

pizzacat

Banned
People talking shit about venom are just talking shit about their boring selfs.

Also Legacy cover art HD version of MGS1 Snake

3536291-solid-snake-metal-gear-solid-the-legacy-collection.jpg

Eylos

Banned
in terms of design

i hate the abrahan lincoln beard that snake have in mgs2

so i go with BB in MGS peace walker

I've been flipping back and forth between big boss and solid snake. But mgs v just decide it for me that Big Boss is an asshole. He's no longer the tragic and sympathetic character like he's in mgs 3. What he did to Venom is shit.

Solid Snake is the best. Even as a grandpa. I wish we got one last game with Solid Snake in it. I was really hoping he's still alive in Rising timeline and have a role in Rising 2 or something.

Mgs 4

After years of growing up with him, seeing him aging, in pain, going back with him to certain places that brought back memories and the final fight. I felt for him.

So hard to pick between MGS1/2/3 Snake, but I'll go with 3. He's the most fun and you get to play as him and see him change in cool ways.

2 is the best enigma character though, definitely a badass.

Venom Snake was like watching paint dry.

Kiefer was a mistake. I knew it from the beginning.

From a purely cosmetic standpoint, Venom is my absolute favorite. Love the design of that version, Head to toe.

From a personality standpoint, probably MGS2 Solid Snake.

I have a soft spot for old snake. But mgs 3 big boss takes the cake. He was cocky yet unexperienced, and a huge weirdo goof ball. Mgs v's snake was
nothing
so thata my least favorite.

Solid Snake from the original Metal Gear Solid was the most consistent, well-rounded, expertly crafted character in the series. There is no debate. Had an overarching life philosophy, and in terms of thoughts and emotions he was the closest to a real human being. Every other "Snake" that followed was just a persona that never quite lived up to the original.

Timeaisis

MGS2. Looking back, it was a way of making Snake both a legendary figure and a flawed but interesting protagonist. It was pretty brilliant, and it worked.

Toa TAK

Banned
MGS3 easily if we are including Big Boss. Just the fact he is so relatable and likable in that game. Not to say I hate Solid Snake, but his character is wasted on such a disaster of a story that really taints the experience. MGS3 is where it's at for pretty much everything.
Yes sir.

Would've put V at second, but he's squandered, sadly even though I feel Kiefer does a great job as him when he gets the chance.

Dr.JayP

MGS2 was a perfection of the character.

Looking back, as great as MGS3 was, I wish Kojima went back to the style of MGS1 and MGS2. The whole premise of infiltrating a confined urban area taken over by terrorists, within a 24-48 hour timespan and a focus on taking down a unit of bosses made MGS so appealing to me. The latter games' emphasis on ambitious, big open worlds, with multiple missions and army building just didn't feel the same.

Give me the tight, focused, highly refined MGS/MGS2 style games over the others any day.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MGS2 Snake is amazing, but I have to go with MGS1.

"I'll die after I kill you."

"You wanna pull each other's ears?"

"You've got a great butt."

Either way, Solid Snake is da best.

Skeeter49

MGS3 easily. Big Boss before he officially became Big Boss, Naked Snake to make it easier, was such an interesting character. His love and respect for The Boss felt powerful, the ending of MGS3 is so emotional, and you understand easily what made Big Boss go down the path he did in future MG/MGS games.

stuminus3

MGS2 Snake. As controversial as it was at the time, the bait and switch to represent Solid Snake through the eyes of another actually worked.

I have never properly understood Big Boss or why Kojima spent to much time on him.

EDIT:

His love and respect for The Boss felt powerful, the ending of MGS3 is so emotional, and you understand easily what made Big Boss go down the path he did in future MG/MGS games.
Perfect, lol.

SugarDave

Probably MGS3 for me. He starts as an enthusiastic and expressive soldier who answers a call to adventure and ends up a disillusioned, broken man after being deceived by his government and the woman he grows a fondness for. By the end, we also know from dramatic irony that these are the events that likely set him on the dark path, something that hits harder because he's so likeable in the beginning. It's almost a reversal of Snake from the original MGS, he is manipulated but discovers how to live for himself by the time the credits roll, I suppose I just find the fall from grace story a bit more interesting. In short, Naked Snake goes from this:

tumblr_inline_nhmwakix861sd85l8.png

To this:

iupnm0hg9f5n21.gif

Although I will admit, Solid Snake in MGS2 is the coolest incarnation.

NotLiquid

MGS1 Snake. He was the perfect vehicle for the game's plot. A hardened, bad ass veteran and "legend" who is put in a situation where everything is beyond his understanding in spite of him being the perfect man, and only man, for the job. He's a philanthropist at heart but hasn't realized it yet. He has a personal side but it's beautifully masked through the most human performance that Hayter has ever given. It also helps that he's the only character in the series to be the lead for a game that has an understandable, cool storyline that isn't full of itself. He's a great character that allows people to feel like they're empowered while at the same time maintaining empathy.

Top Bottom