• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which MGS game has your favourite version of Snake?

MGS2 Snake.coolest character with great philosophy who found his own reason to fight. Him and octacon forming their own anti-metal gear organisation is just cool.

I like all incarnations, even Venom. He had some great moments with Paz and he was the only other character in the series besides solid Snake to get what the Boss really wanted.

Ishida

Banned
Old Snake, no doubt.

old-snake_00050354.jpg

A soldier on the brink of death. His body aches and his strength falters, he is reaching his end. He doesn't have to fight for anyone, he could just say "fuck it, I'm literally too old for this" and yet he goes on a final mission.

I love how physically frail he is portrayed, yet his will doesn't falter. He keeps going, he keeps pushing through.

Besides, he has a cool eyepatch and a great mustache.

This is a tough one. I love MGS2/3/4 Snakes. I'd probably put 4 first, just cause Snake is a fucking legend in that game, but its really close for all 3 of those.

Old Snake, no doubt.

old-snake_00050354.jpg

A soldier on the brink of death. His body aches and his strength falters, he is reaching his end. He doesn't have to fight for anyone, he could just say "fuck it, I'm literally too old for this" and yet he goes on a final mission.

I love how physically frail he is portrayed, yet his will doesn't falter. He keeps going, he keeps pushing through.

Besides, he has a cool eyepatch and a great mustache.

That one part in the microwaves perfectly portrays this.

kunonabi

Peace Walker Snake is my probably my favorite design. Character wise I guess MGS3 but I pretty much like all of Big Boss's development really.

joms5

Worst easily goes to the MGSV Snake.
It's not voiced by David Hayter, which means it's not Snake.

I'll always have a soft spot for MGS1. He's the most believable and not so much a caricature.

seat

Of course Solid is tougher, but Big Boss is so much more interesting as a character. I'm surprised people can't seem to differentiate the two. If you like 2D characters, Solid is your man. However, people like me know Naked Snake from MGS3 is the best Snake.

Obligatory

iIxx2dQ.jpg

This illustrates my point even more.

Also, this image is immature and even kind of offensive, dude. And not just because of the bad grammar. Using "gay" as a pejorative and "retard" are sure-fire ways to discredit any intelligence in a person. Just not funny.

dmshaposv

Aesthetically, I love Old snake's design.

The accelerated aging, tom sellick mustache and the 'im too old for this shit' thing was great. All ruined by david hayter's terrible VO, of course.

blamite

Venom has my favorite design for sure. The arm and horn are just too cool... And I actually really like Kiefer Sutherland as his voice, even if he spoke way, way too little. As an entire package he's kind of dragged down by how little personality he actually shows, even if that's maybe part of the point?

Naked Snake in MGS3 is easily the one I enjoyed most as a character. He had the perfect balance of seriousness and humor, and the various codec conversations with the different characters were just the best.

SugarDave

Also, this image is immature and even kind of offensive, dude. And not just because of the bad grammar. Using "gay" as a pejorative and "retard" are sure-fire ways to discredit any intelligence in a person. Just not funny.

Good god, man. It's clearly meant to be ridiculous.

MGS1. He's the wounded, reclusive hero who guards himself with ascerbic wit and elite skill. The script gives Hayter much more to work with than the later games and he matched it with easily his best performance. MGS2 definitely has the coolest version of Snake though.

dc89

MGS is the best Snake.
I think he just has some awesome lines which are delivered by peak Hayter.

I was going to nominate MGS V - Venom.
I really liked the idea of a Snake that's on a downward spiral, his body is screwed and he's fueled by revenge. An interesting premise considering the Snakes are usually motivated by the mission rather than personnel feelings.
But it just wasn't delivered that well at the writing stage. Keifer does a great job with the lines he has, I think they're all delivered really well.
That nuclear disarmament speech is up there with the best voice acted moments in the series. It's so good.

Venom in concept is awesome. But in terms of execution, he was a mess.

Best snake imo is Naked from MGS3, because he doesn't start with him having a dark and screwed up past. MGS3 is his dark and screwed up past. There didn't really need to be a Peace Walker or a Phantom Pain to justify his turn as a villain in MG, cause it was already justified in the end of 3.

Second goes to Solid in MGS2, because seeing him through the eyes of another character made him more interesting than playing him imo. Also
Infinite Ammo

MGS3 Snake has the best arc but I gotta give it to MGS1 Snake. The guy's seen some shit and Shadow Moses is him coming to terms with it to become a new person.

I always liked him talking to Wolf in the snowfield about honor and she, in a combination of awe/fear, asks if he is "Saladin." That's something I miss about the later games. You get the sense at the end of MGS1's boss battles that they and Snake respect one another.

Ame

It's a toss up between MGS3 Naked Snake and MGS2 Solid Snake. MGS3 for Snake's story arch and relationship with The Boss. MGS2 for philosophical Snake.

marzlapin

3 or 4. There's something about Snake/BB not quite being at his prime, seeing the person behind the legendary badass figure, that's really appealing there.

Kneefoil

MGS3 has by far the best Naked Snake, and MGS2 probably has the best Solid Snake. I say "probably", because I only ever watched a Let's Play of MGS4 instead of playing it myself, and I find it more difficult to get attached to characters when it's not me playing the game.

I think I prefer Solid over Naked overall. He may not be as well fledged out as Naked Snake, or even as relatable, but I really like him as a cool sneaky super soldier mentor character.

JayEH

Top 3

1. MGSV
2. MGS4
3. MGS2

I just really like the design of Venom Snake and
him being me at the end is cool.

Naked Snake and then Venom Snake....

Naked Snake has a pretty awesome combination of vulnerable ignorance and dry humour, and is Hayter at his best IMO. Venom Snake just because I grow to sort of empathize with his story, and I love the theme of Mother Base and the Diamond Dogs. You're all diamonds.

I like the transition that Snake goes though to accept that he's Big Boss in MPO and MGSPW, too. Those and classic MGS1 Solid Snake are all pretty even. MGS1 Snake is better acted, actually -- as good or better than any in the series. Hayter does vulnerable ignorance very well, which really captures the manipulative drama Snake always finds himself in. But I'm a big fan of the MPO and PW stories.

Old Snake is cool but I hated the MGS4 story, whereas I sort of appreciate the MGS2 plot but hated how Snake was presented for most of it. 'That's not Solid Snake' or whatever when you first meet Solidus always makes me cringe.

Betty

Banned
I love em all.

But I'd say Naked Snake just for how easy going and goofy he could let himself be at times.

Keihart

Of course Solid is tougher, but Big Boss is so much more interesting as a character. I'm surprised people can't seem to differentiate the two. If you like 2D characters, Solid is your man. However, people like me know Naked Snake from MGS3 is the best Snake.

This illustrates my point even more.

I laughed so i would say that its atleast funny

Yeah, I loved whenever Venom spoke. I wish Kojima had given him more lines, because the few Kiefer did have really sold me on the character. The diamonds speech is awesome.
I like the contrast to Hayter... I think they both suit their respective stories well.

Snake is always a sort of manipulated pawn... he has a vulnerable ignorance. Hayter always captures that well.

Big Boss though, he sort of has to become to the reserved leader -- inspire others. No room to show emotion or vulnerability, and fewer words means no words wasted on ignorance or weakness. Fewer words means less change to break that visage or interrupt and insert doubt into the legend of Big Boss. Keifer also captured that well, when he does finally speak -- I won't scatter your ashes -- it's startling and that in itself is inspiring.

MGS1 - On top of being at his coolest ("I'll die after I kill you."), there are alot of story elements that do a good job of defining the character. There's also certain vulnerability that I like as well. From being tortured to keep Meryl alive, to being betrayed by nearly everyone else, Snake just feels more real to me. Maybe it's because of the game being told from his (the player's) viewpoint, but I can really understand and empathise with the guy in the first game.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
MGS 1 Snake for me. Despite playing the Metal Gear game on NES for a few minutes back when I was a noob to the series, and MGS was my first real experience. The whole persona and mystery of Snake appealed to me, especially as a teen who had never really played games that had such a mature tone.

David Hayter's voice work was great, and I bought Snake as a badass soldier with an I trigujg history. MG2 Snake is interesting because we get to see him from a new perspective, but MGS1 Snake will always win out.

As for Big Boss, Naked Snake is my favorite portrayal. Maybe it's because the story is so strong compared to the other MGS games, but Big Boss felt even more nuanced and tragic than Solid Snake.

MGS 4 Old Snake is great as well, and the balance of tragic heroes shifts back to him with MGS4. Basically, what in saying is it's fucking hard to choose. I love all of the MGS games, and the Snakes present in each one are all so different. But the first one that popped to mind when I thought of my favorite portrayal, it's MGS 1 Snake.

BlueWord

I really felt like Old Snake gave us, as the audience, the best insight into Snake as an individual. I like the design, too.

MGS2 Snake is what I visualize as "Solid Snake" in my mind, though.

Barakov

MGS1 Snake by far. That game had the best balance of all things the series is now known for. I felt all of other games in the series dropped the ball in some way or another. Also Hayter's voicework in MGS1 was the best because the raspiness was kept to a minimum. It wasn't so bad in 2 but it was pretty grating in 3 and downright awful in 4.

Top Bottom