• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
New spoiler from WotC's official twitter account:

Cla2Pk0WAAAAuez.png:large
Cla2PQAWkAATVkR.png:large

I like how the front side is a sort of callback to Wolfir Silverheart. He seems decent enough, but it's kind of weird how the two abilities don't tie together, since he generally won't boost himself and fight on the same turn.

Anyway, legendary werewolf!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like how the front side is a sort of callback to Wolfir Silverheart. He seems decent enough, but it's kind of weird how the two abilities don't tie together, since he generally won't boost himself and fight on the same turn.

I guess they went with commander crap. Too bad, I was hoping for something that would actually address how stupidly inconsistent Werewolves are as a tribe.

Yeef

A 6/6 can fight pretty much anything reliably.

This can do some pretty silly things if you have multiple Vildin-Pack Alphas in play.

Santiako

Kinda weird that they finally make the Werewolf commander and it doesn't interact any way with werewolves, it just happens to be one.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly think all of the big flashy flip cards have been huge disappointments going back to SOI.

Avacyn is blatantly overpowered garbage, Ulrich sucks just as bad as any other werewolf, one of them is a gimmick mill spell, the planeswalker is way too unreliable to be useful, etc.

Ulrich is constructed playable. Barely, but he is.

I can't conceive of how.

Arlinn bout to jump. get your arlinns now

Arlinn doesn't interact with Ulrich in any particularly good way beyond she pumps guys. But she pumps literally any guy.

Angry Grimace

Turn 4 Arlinn, flip into werewolf, turn 5 Ulrich pump the 2/2 into 6/6.

You can do that with literally any creature. They have almost no synergy beyond Ulrich being a creature which is a legal target for the +1/+1, and in fact, they have a bit of non-bo synergy because Arlinn's reverse side doesn't give haste to Ulrich.

MoxManiac

Emrakul. What the hell. It's terrible. Emrakul is the type of creature that should win you the game outright if it hits the table, like the original. What is this overcosted garbage? Why do they have to give the opponent an extra turn? Why can't it just be mindslaver?

Yeah, I was hoping the legendary werewolf would have smoothed out the transformation mechanic in someway. The etb is okay, but first glance this is a less exciting Huntmaster. Maybe it plays better than it looks.

Toxi

Banned
Legendary Werewolf seems to miss the point of what EDH players were looking for in a legendary Werewolf.

The main problem Werewolves have in EDH is that there are more players who will be playing more spells during each others' turns. You have even less control over what form they'll be in, and it's very easy for players to force them back to Human and to force them to stay Human.

An ideal Werewolf commander would either give you more control over their transformation or/and have an effect that punishes your opponents for playing spells during other players' turns.

Angry Grimace

Guy with the hat and tentacle-beard on the right halfway back looks like Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean.

Legendary Werewolf seems to miss the point of what EDH players were looking for in a legendary Werewolf.

The main problem Werewolves have in EDH is that there are more players who will be playing more spells during each others' turns. You have even less control over what form they'll be in, and it's very easy for players to force them back to Human and to force them to stay Human.

An ideal Werewolf commander would either give you more control over their transformation or/and have an effect that punishes your opponents for playing spells during other players' turns.

Hermit of the Natterknolls does that, but a single player has to cast multiple spells.

Emrakul. What the hell. It's terrible. Emrakul is the type of creature that should win you the game outright if it hits the table, like the original. What is this overcosted garbage? Why do they have to give the opponent an extra turn? Why can't it just be mindslaver?

The Mindslaver effect by itself is 7B. Once you put it on a creature that could potentially cost (8) and make the actual effect uncounterable, there was no way it would be the full effect.
87.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
For some reason rising up to fight in the streets while a giant world eating monster looms in the sky just seems to miss the point of lovecraftian horror.

Angry Grimace

Spoiling the wolf makes no sense. The number of people who actually cared about it were minimal and it tells you nothing about the set mechanics.

bigkrev

Spoiling the wolf makes no sense. The number of people who actually cared about it were minimal and it tells you nothing about the set mechanics.

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a spoiler down the line, they accidentally tweeted it out, and instead of pretending that no one saw it that dust went ahead and acknowledged it

Ashodin

Spoiling the werewolf shuts up the yap of people who want the werewolf

but the icing on the cake is "it's total shit"

GG 13/13 would troll again WOTC

I'd rather have huntmaster as a commander if I were playing Werewolves.

Commanders really have to do something the moment they come into play or when they live for a turn. This one just pushes some damage through and or picks off some weenies. It also does nothing on an empty board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom