• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Got some cool content videos lined up; I'm looking for custom content and turning them into videos that spotlight their effort in a new medium. I'm still working out kinks in my audio/video setup however, so things will be a bit sparse this week. Next week however is when things really kick into gear.

Kaya is almost certainly blue. Everything about her seems to be calculating and precise. Her other colors are kind of up in the air. Based on the story, any other color(s), except red, could work. The mercenary angle has her leaning toward black. But there are hints in the story that also point toward white and/or green. I'm guessing she's definitely blue/black, but whether or not she has a third color and what it might be is up in the air.

Nah, black is unquestionably the color she signals the most. She's an assassin, she works on her own without tight personal ties, she's judgmental ("spoiled little lordling"), she cares a lot about money and has no problem murdering a king in pursuit of a payday, she finds fighting and intimidating the ghosts fun, and she's utterly unforgiving of someone who's slighted her. Just visually, her outfit (besides the brown of her leather jacket) only has black, and her magic daggers glow purple, a color universally used to represent black magic. She has the power to kill ghosts, which is creature destruction and probably exile, which blue absolutely doesn't do. Her bio says

The living should make the most of their lives and pursue what they want while they've still got time, and find their own peace before Death. If you die with unfinished business, Well, that's probably your fault. And if it's not...perhaps she could help you...for a price.

all of which is consummate black.

For the second color there are a couple options. She does ask for information and make a detailed plan before going in, which is certainly blue, but she also says "make a plan but never rely on it" (not a particularly blue philosophy) and she isn't particularly curious about the world (she doesn't really care about the different religious beliefs about the dead despite that literally being her business, for example.) It's certainly possible -- not like red and green, both of which don't fit at all -- but I don't think it's the best supported.

Conversely, even though her base attitude and behavior is black, she clearly has a greater sense of justice that she believes in -- she's mostly motivated by money, but she gives up the second half of her fee when she decides that ghost mom's eye-for-an-eye vengeance on her client is more important. Her described are also just much more in line with W/B, and (again outside the Innistrad spirit tribe) ghosts as a concept are much more white/black in MTG -- the list of cards with "Ghost" in the name is mostly black and/or white cards, and most of the blue cards are from the Innistrad blocks. Her choice in the story also doesn't fit great with blue/black -- blue/black tends to be very self-centered and none of the blue/black characters we've seen before would ever give up something they wanted to help someone else get revenge.

So, yeah. In conclusion: gotta be black or else the story and her bio on the site make no sense, could be blue, but probably black/white given the info we have.

ironmang

Really liking this BG Delirium deck. Playing the delirium critters into a Mindwrack Demon feels broken. Ishkanah is great. Deathmist with Den Protector is still great. Liliana is great. Everything just works well together and most importantly it's fun to play. I could see some variation of this deck winning the PT.

So they are doing team unified modern GPs next year, that's pretty cool. Also, a super triple four day long GP in las vegas.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/pro-tour-eldritch-moon-organized-play-announcement-bookkeeping-2016-08-02

Both Legacy GPs are in the US, rest of the world legacy players keeps getting fucked.

First time looking at the schedule. Pittsburgh, both ones in Jersey, DC, and Richmond are pretty much definites for me. Possibly Louisville depending on weather and local interest. Possibly either San Antonio or that monster Las Vegas weekend if a local group wants to fly out.

Surprised at the lack of US modern GPs. Those are always insanely popular and if they aren't streaming many of these then it doesn't matter if it's Standard to promote the new set or not.

y2dvd

Everyone always have that one rare they open more of than anything else in a set. Mines seems to be 4 of the same: Ishkanah , Eldritch Evolution, Deploy the Gatewatch (why can't it be Lilly *sadface), and Summary Dismissal. I keep getting these 4.

And what's up with the print run this time around? Mapping, missing promos..we had a pack that was short a card in drafts, and in all my prize packs just now, the first 2 uncommon cards were always upside down. So weird.

ironmang

Just noticed both GPs in Jersey are at the same place they held GP New York this year. That is the worst convention center I've ever been too. It's isolated and has two tiny bathrooms so they actually brought portable toilets and put them around back.

Maledict

Does EMN feel like a flavour lose to anyone else? Especially after SoI which was a flavour win.

Absolutely. Magic isn't equipped to do Cosmic Horror well at all, in the same way it struggles to do emotions. SoI worked as the build up set, but EMN fails as the pay off. It feels more like a mutant horror film from the 80s than a cosmic, lovecraftian horror event.

(Although I did like Emrakul taking over Tamiyo and sealing herself up, that I appreciated)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Absolutely. Magic isn't equipped to do Cosmic Horror well at all, in the same way it struggles to do emotions. SoI worked as the build up set, but EMN fails as the pay off. It feels more like a mutant horror film from the 80s than a cosmic, lovecraftian horror event.

(Although I did like Emrakul taking over Tamiyo and sealing herself up, that I appreciated)
Some of the ideas are cool but there's so many of them and they're so scattershot. There's Innistrad stuff, Emrakul stuff, the Gatewatch, some random-ass stuff thrown in just because the story demands it (Imprisoned in the Moon). And I agree, cosmic horror isn't interesting when the Power Rangers can show up and beat Cthulhu by casting a magic spell.

Interesting changes this paired with the new T8 seeding should make for less collusion hopefully

Co_9MFUUEAAabDR.jpg

Interesting changes this paired with the new T8 seeding should make for less collusion hopefully

Pros on twitter seem pretty crabby about this but this is the first change where it's really hard for me to not see pro complaints as kind of entitled. The downside here is that if you're a name player, you're less likely to be paired against a schlub with nothing on the line who'll give you a free win in Round 16? I don't see any reason OP should have to ensure that and I definitely am not convinced this has some fundamental effect on the tournament's "integrity."

'Tis. See the Allosaurus Rider craze of about a month ago.

I kind of hope they print this in Conspiracy.

This is one downside of Wizards finalizing sets several months in advance (7 months, I believe). There's no possible way they could react to this price surge any time soon.

bigkrev

So, I recently got a weird itch, and went on Ebay and started buying old Duelist-Scrye-Inquest magazines, and I got my first one (February 1999 Inquest). I'll probably be posting some scans from them over time (I think the statute of limitations on scans for these is past the point of mattering, and they aren't "Gaming Magazines", but if a mod tells me to stop I will).

First one is the litteral first page of the first issue I got- A Wizards run "Who's in and Who's out" for Sixth Edition! The previous owner obviously did some guessing, but this an amazing list to look at in hindsight- stuff like "It's totally OK to even put out there that we might reprint Thawing Glaciers!" or that the previous owner of this magazine thought "Balduvan Horde is way too good of a card, no fucking way it gets reprinted" and "Disk is one of the most important cards as it's the only way for Red and Black to beat a Circle, they can't possibly take that away!"

MoxManiac

So, I recently got a weird itch, and went on Ebay and started buying old Duelist-Scrye-Inquest magazines, and I got my first one (February 1999 Inquest). I'll probably be posting some scans from them over time (I think the statute of limitations on scans for these is past the point of mattering, and they aren't "Gaming Magazines", but if a mod tells me to stop I will).

First one is the litteral first page of the first issue I got- A Wizards run "Who's in and Who's out" for Sixth Edition! The previous owner obviously did some guessing, but this an amazing list to look at in hindsight- stuff like "It's totally OK to even put out there that we might reprint Thawing Glaciers!" or that the previous owner of this magazine thought "Balduvan Horde is way too good of a card, no fucking way it gets reprinted" and "Disk is one of the most important cards as it's the only way for Red and Black to beat a Circle, they can't possibly take that away!"

Balduvian Horde used to be the shit. I remember flipping out as a kid when I pulled one in an Alliance pack back when the set was still new. It was like a $20+ card.

I'm definitely not worried about individual page scans of defunct magazines from 20 years ago.

Honestly, I think it's a shame there's no digital archive (licit or illicit) that I'm aware of for the Duelist. There's a lot of cool and interesting historical content in there, but to the best of my knowledge no one's comprehensively scanned them. The Dragon Magazine archives WotC sold like 15 years ago were a fantastic historical document of a certain part of the tabletop industry over time, these would be similarly valuable.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Balduvian Horde used to be the shit. I remember flipping out as a kid when I pulled one in an Alliance pack back when the set was still new. It was like a $20+ card.

I bought a Balduvian Horde when I was in High School and $20 was a lot of money. I *loved* it so much.

About a year ago, I bought a playset for a couple of bucks, just for giggles.

bigkrev

Some February 1999 prices:

Reviesd Dual Lands: $12, Except Bayou and Badlands (!) which are $13
Bazzar of Bagdahd $20
Mishra's Workshop: $38
Tabernacle: $30
Thunder Spirit: $30 (guess reserved list stupidity existed even back then!)
Force of Will: $3.50
Lion's Eye Diamond: $4 (which is basically bulk rare for the set)

Akim

Banned
I found a store by my house doing Thursday Night Magic drafts. Does anyone know what the standard packs being drafted are now and a good site to get down the basics?

I found a store by my house doing Thursday Night Magic drafts. Does anyone know what the standard packs being drafted are now and a good site to get down the basics?
It's Eldritch Moon Eldritch Moon Shadows Over Innistrad in that order.
There's sites like top8draft.com but the neural network isn't particularly good.

when reprintring sought after cards why are they always upping the rarity? Elvish harbinger for instance shouldn't have been a fucking rare.
Wait lodestone wasn't an uncommon? My point still stands.

Also someone explain to me missed triggers, one can miss triggers because it's not beneficial to them but what happens when they miss a trigger that'd hurt them? Who judges when it is beneficial and when it isn't, for instance Duskwatch Recruiter, judging whether that was beneficial or not and thereby intentional would be a pian. I honestly preferred when both players were responsible to preserve the gamestate.

I mean, can you even lose with this deck? Arguably the 3 best cards in the cube in Recall, Mox Sapphire and Sol Ring, redundant parts of both halves of the twin combo protected by a free counterspell, plus treachery and the nastiest Isochron Scepter this side of the Mississippi. I know it's just proxy drafting but it's still fun.

kjhlkj64rz1.png

There's a 17 dollar Sealed PPTQ in San Fran tomorrow but I decided to use the money to buy Monster Hunter Generations instead. Sounds fun, but I'm just not that excited for EMN sealed. It's better than SOI sealed, at least. Also, there's gonna be like a hundred people there with a tournament that cheap.

Good pizza next door, though

dies to lightning bolt

...no it doesn't?

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";212465564]Too bad Brian Kibler losing then getting a feature anyway isn't a slot this season.[/QUOTE]

His soul has nearly been entirely consumed by Hearthstone at this point

Yeef

Also someone explain to me missed triggers, one can miss triggers because it's not beneficial to them but what happens when they miss a trigger that'd hurt them? Who judges when it is beneficial and when it isn't, for instance Duskwatch Recruiter, judging whether that was beneficial or not and thereby intentional would be a pian. I honestly preferred when both players were responsible to preserve the gamestate.
Even though it's subjective, there are guidelines on what's considered detrimental. The important thing to keep in mind is that a trigger is either always or never considered detrimental; the current game state is never taken into account. So, for example, Bitterblossom's trigger isn't considered detrimental, even if the player is at 1 life.

When a player misses a trigger, the opponent gets to choose whether or not to place it on the stack once the error has been noticed (assuming it hasn't been too long).

No warnings are given for advantageous triggers missed this way. For detrimental triggers, the player who missed the trigger will get a warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom