• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

An-Det

I remember when I first started playing I bought some packs of whatever had some dumb rares that would be good at the lunch table, and they threw in a few packs of Fallen Empires since they couldn't get rid of the stuff otherwise.

To answer your question though, I'm taking Modern Jund.
I wish I had Kalitas, but I think I'll put in a couple Abbot of Keral Keep in there.

Abbot seems quite bad in Jund imo, as an alternate and cheap 4 drop I'd look into Pia and Kiran.

Yeah, though it depends on what you have available to you. That 4-mana Chandra planeswalker isn't bad (the one with the 0: flip the top card), maybe Goblin Dark Dwellers, even something like Huntmaster. Definitely try to get a pair of Kalitas, it's been fucking fantastic for me in modern Jund.

duxstar

Here's the problem I have with Emrakul ...... All of these people, pro tour level players have known about the card for weeks, it didn't take me past the first week of the SCG open with online testing to figure out to have a plan for an Emrakul, Stasis Snare, Clip Wings, Declaration in Stone.

It's not like these are bad cards in the sideboard with everyone running around with Spell Quellers, and Archangel Avacyn's (where did that card go); I just don't know how you come into the matchups unprepared.

These are pro players, who sat round for weeks playing magic and brewing the best decks, yet not once on camera have we seen a sideboard card played to stop it. The first weakness I noticed in g/w tokens after week one was Emrakul, and Brisela, the decks weren't running answers.

It felt like every matchup came down to Emrakul being cast last night, but these decks aren't really sustainable, like what was aside, mono white will eat them alive, and people will adapt to the ramp into Emrakul plan.

Ashodin

Still think they should do Homelands 2. It couldn't be worse. (could it?)

Here's the problem I have with Emrakul ...... All of these people, pro tour level players have known about the card for weeks, it didn't take me past the first week of the SCG open with online testing to figure out to have a plan for an Emrakul, Stasis Snare, Clip Wings, Declaration in Stone.

It's not like these are bad cards in the sideboard with everyone running around with Spell Quellers, and Archangel Avacyn's (where did that card go); I just don't know how you come into the matchups unprepared.

These are pro players, who sat round for weeks playing magic and brewing the best decks, yet not once on camera have we seen a sideboard card played to stop it. The first weakness I noticed in g/w tokens after week one was Emrakul, and Brisela, the decks weren't running answers.

It felt like every matchup came down to Emrakul being cast last night, but these decks aren't really sustainable, like what was aside, mono white will eat them alive, and people will adapt to the ramp into Emrakul plan.
This is what I feel like too. It feels like these decks were put together specifically for Eldritch Moon promotion instead of actual tournament play.

Firemind

Homelands gets style points for this

114.jpg

Because we are talking about Ice Age block era, here, from Inquest Magazine, is a Financial review for the just released Homelands set!

Few things to note
- "Could be hard to get!"
-Correctly identified Baron Sengir as overrated, but makes no mention of Ishan's Shade
-Have you ever heard of primal order?

Gotta love them trying to hype up cards like Aysen Highway. It's interesting just how long it took people to get that these high-cost creatures were terrible against any reasonably well-made spell-focused deck.

Homelands gets style points for this

114.jpg

Gotta love a cantrip that gains you one life. Maybe.

Abbot seems quite bad in Jund imo, as an alternate and cheap 4 drop I'd look into Pia and Kiran.

Pulling the cards to build the deck I came to the same conclusion. I bought a couple of Abbots awhile back because it was showing up in Jund lists as a two of, but I never got around to playing it. I just don't think it's that great.
I don't have Pia and Kiran either. I do have Olivia and she can be potent. I also have Hangarback Walker which I've never played in Jund before but I have heard of it being done.

I remember when I first started playing I bought some packs of whatever had some dumb rares that would be good at the lunch table, and they threw in a few packs of Fallen Empires since they couldn't get rid of the stuff otherwise.

Yeah, though it depends on what you have available to you. That 4-mana Chandra planeswalker isn't bad (the one with the 0: flip the top card), maybe Goblin Dark Dwellers, even something like Huntmaster. Definitely try to get a pair of Kalitas, it's been fucking fantastic for me in modern Jund.

I used to run that Chandra, I still have a couple of her somewhere in my boxes, maybe that's a good idea to go back to her.

But yes, I really need a couple Kalitas!

I watched a stream the other day of a stores Modern game night, and a guy did some work with Jund Charm. I'm not sure if he main decked it or if it was from his sideboard though.

EDIT: Here is the list right now, except I don't have Kalitas, so I need to replace him with two other cards.

4 Liliana of the Veil
4 Dark Confidant
1 Grim Lavamancer
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Thoughtseize
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Terminate

4 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Blood Crypt
3 Bloodstained Mire
1 Forest
2 Overgrown Tomb
4 Raging Ravine
1 Stomping Ground
2 Swamp
1 Twilight Mire
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Wooded Foothills

Santiako

I used to run that Chandra, I still have a couple of her somewhere in my boxes, maybe that's a good idea to go back to her.

But yes, I really need a couple Kalitas!

I watched a stream the other day of a stores Modern game night, and a guy did some work with Jund Charm. I'm not sure if he main decked it or if it was from his sideboard though.

EDIT: Here is the list right now, except I don't have Kalitas, so I need to replace him with two other cards.

Maybe 1 Olivia 1 Chandra? Or 1 Olivia and a 3rd Scooze?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still can't fathom that they went 7 months between releases

Maybe 1 Olivia 1 Chandra? Or 1 Olivia and a 3rd Scooze?

I like the idea of one Olivia and a third Scooze, who can help me get some life back.

Going into the meta blind, so I'm not sure how to sideboard.

Right now just guessing and pulling cards, I have:
1 Engineered Explosives (When do I sideboard this in? I always see it as a one of in lists)
1 Jund Charm
1 Damnation
1 Batterskull
1 Choke
2 Grafdiggers Cage
1 Creeping Corrosion
1 Slaughter Games
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Night of Souls Betrayal
3 Kitchen Finks

Firemind

Yuuya, a man after my own Izzet heart. :swoon

I have to do an 180 on Thermo-Alchemist. It's pretty playable. Kappa

Edit: 3-0'd the draft with this. I was so hoping to get the land to go with the Hanweir Garrison. :lol

1AiJe6b.png

I love Bant too much not to want company to win.

I don't get why BDM and Randy were gushing over Luis' draft, Luis' drafted a mess, passed Ulvenwald Captive yet still forced green red only to take another foul emissary over a ulvenwald captive

so much this. Emrakul dominating yesterday makes no sense.

Crocodile

To elaborate on Ashodin's post....

BREAKING: Randy Buehler is retiring from coverage. This will be his last Pro Tour! He's going to be moving into a behind-the-scenes role. Less travel, no commentary. Will still be doing Twitch Leagues and what not.

Because we are talking about Ice Age block era, here, from Inquest Magazine, is a Financial review for the just released Homelands set!

Oh man, this is amazing, especially thinking about what "MTG Finance" is like these days. "Thanks to Chronicles, who amongst us doesn't have at least one Elder Dragon Legend and a handful of other legends like Gabriel Angelfire or Dakkon Blackblade?"

Also, incredible seeing someone talk about how Ancestral Recall is going to start dropping from $45.

They were thinking about it like hobbyist-oriented board games, where you do maybe two releases in a year if it's particularly successful. By the time they realized how much volume they needed to keep things running, they literally didn't have enough people to design them. Homelands is where they ran out of the stuff they had banked from all their design teams and just had to wait out on the stuff coming from their internal teams (Alliances and Mirage).

I really don't think anything that's ever happened in 20+ years of the game since has come nearly as close as this did to killing MTG completely.

I mean, I think you have to look at this type of situation and try to figure out, given the assumption that the pros aren't all stupid, what the facts you see really imply. These days the big pro teams test really extensively, and they universally solve at least the first iteration of the metagame (i.e. what's good enough that it'll definitely make up a ton of the field.) If the Pantheon came into this event without running a lot of sideboard hate for Emrakul, you can feel certain that they have some reason for it -- either that sideboard hate isn't good enough against it, or it's not as good as hate against other decks that could use the same slots, or there's a better choice for targeting the decks Emrakul is actually run in, or whatever.

BREAKING: Randy Buehler is retiring from coverage. This will be his last Pro Tour! He's going to be moving into a behind-the-scenes role. Less travel, no commentary.

What... does this mean? Like, he's not a WotC employee, so... what kind of role is he gonna have exactly?

OnPoint

To elaborate on Ashodin's post....

BREAKING: Randy Buehler is retiring from coverage. This will be his last Pro Tour! He's going to be moving into a behind-the-scenes role. Less travel, no commentary. Will still be doing Twitch Leagues and what not.

So this is what it is to exhale...

Yeah, coverage needs to evolve but he's done a lot for the game and has his prints all over Magic history. He's had a great run and I'll always look forward to seeing him on VSL.

Man, y'all are rude. Randy's a nice guy -- I chatted with him for quite a while at PAX once while he was still at WotC, he's pretty sharp and very enthusiastic. He's also done a ton for evangelizing the game (Vintage Super League is better than literally any one thing WotC themselves have done), and stayed involved even after WotC fired him, despite his wife's job meaning he can't play competitively. You don't have to love him or anything, and the argument that he's not great in the booth isn't hard to make, but actively celebrating's a bit much.

Yeah, coverage needs to evolve but he's done a lot for the game and has his prints all over Magic history.

For anyone who, like, cares about competitive constructed balance at all, Randy is pretty much single-handedly responsible for the approach of Pro-driven development they've taken on since Invasion, and he's the guy who brought in Erik Lauer The Best Developer in R&D Today.

Yeef

Managed to live the dream in draft tonight; got 2 haunted deads, a stitchwing skaab, opened a prized amalgam in pack 3 and got passed a foil prized amalgam.

My best opening was Turn 2 - Heir of Falkenrath, Turn 3 - Dead Weight, Discard Haunted Dead to Flip Heir, ,Discard an Amalgam and a Land to bring back Haunted Dead and Amalgam.

ironmang

Man, y'all are rude. Randy's a nice guy -- I chatted with him for quite a while at PAX once while he was still at WotC, he's pretty sharp and very enthusiastic. He's also done a ton for evangelizing the game (Vintage Super League is better than literally any one thing WotC themselves have done), and stayed involved even after WotC fired him, despite his wife's job meaning he can't play competitively. You don't have to love him or anything, and the argument that he's not great in the booth isn't hard to make, but actively celebrating's a bit much.

I'm half joking with the celebration. I have nothing against him personally but this is a step in the right direction for the quality of PT coverage. It becomes really distracting when you have certain commentators getting lost often.

Crocodile

What... does this mean? Like, he's not a WotC employee, so... what kind of role is he gonna have exactly?

Consultant role? Wasn't entirely clear. It feels like they are trying to invent a job for him.

Just to be clear, I'm not celebrating. I don't care either way - Randy hasn't wronged me in any way that he seems to have wronged others. I was just making clear what Ashodin was talking about.

bigkrev

Oh man, this is amazing, especially thinking about what "MTG Finance" is like these days. "Thanks to Chronicles, who amongst us doesn't have at least one Elder Dragon Legend and a handful of other legends like Gabriel Angelfire or Dakkon Blackblade?"

They were thinking about it like hobbyist-oriented board games, where you do maybe two releases in a year if it's particularly successful. By the time they realized how much volume they needed to keep things running, they literally didn't have enough people to design them. Homelands is where they ran out of the stuff they had banked from all their design teams and just had to wait out on the stuff coming from their internal teams (Alliances and Mirage).

I really don't think anything that's ever happened in 20+ years of the game since has come nearly as close as this did to killing MTG completely.

So this is from the April 1996 issue of Inquest- in a pre-Alliances world. Note the doom and gloom over singles, and, most importantly, the fact that Star Wars CCG is outselling Magic at the time.
]
D41nyJW.jpg

FtXdPT6.jpg

I'm trying to get my hands on some Duelst magazines from late 95/early 96 to see how they handle the lack of new cards

I think LSV was right (as recounted by the announcers a bit ago) that people are underestimating how good Bant Company is after sideboarding. I expect we'll still see a lot of them break into the top 16.

So, I can only speak for my very limited testing, but Tamiyo might be the Next Nahiri in regards to making a Modern deck viable, Might being the very important word. She doesn't enable the Knightfall Combo for Bant that everyone wants to work, but good God is she full on HAM in Go Wide Bant.

Haha, I didn't consider that the Emrakul turn counted as a turn in the last five turns.

EDIT: It's a shame Blue-Black Zombie Madness isn't doing well. If Bant Company and G/W Tokens see a resurgence later on, hopefully people look into it more.

Didn't Reid have Kozilek's Return in the graveyard? Did he forget to trigger it, or did he not want to?

EDIT: LSV beat Emrakul with Tamiyo! Bant CoCo, but that was flavorful at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom