• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I already got it off and reattached it and it seems its not loose at all.

It looses the connection if I move the headset. But sometimes even if its just on the desk I get a notification "HDMI not plugged in". Already tried other USB-ports, because some say it might be because of the USB ports, but doesnt really help. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the video drivers, but also doesnt help.
From Oculus Support I first got the usual "Have you tried that, have you done that", but nothing yet. Sent them a video of the issue and hopefully the only issue is the cable and not the headset itself. Gonna wait till they answer...

The cable is a piece of shit and I already had to replace one. Feel the cable all the way, see if you notice it ripping or getting all fat and tangled.

It's for sure the cable if it's just the HDMI is not connected. Ask for a new one, takes a week or two.

The cable is a piece of shit and I already had to replace one. Feel the cable all the way, see if you notice it ripping or getting all fat and tangled.

It's for sure the cable if it's just the HDMI is not connected. Ask for a new one, takes a week or two.

Sounds shit though. I mean I have the unit less than one month now and the cable is already broken (it seems)...

I actually didnt even use it that much, since I was in Thailand for the last 2 weeks...

So I bought Elevator Ritual.

Pretty much what you'd expect in terms of a brief 10 minute horror experience but in VR the experience is something else. For 3 bucks... it's worth getting so I can record my friends and family's reactions.

Once most own accessory with VR - central air.

It's too hot to put my headset on in this place. Can't wait to move to my new apartment for year round VR.

Most true thing ever spoken. I haven't played much this last couple months because it's too hot to wear. Winter will be my VR time.

Soi-Fong

Man... Bullet Train is amazing. Catching the bullets and flicking them at enemies is just something else. The Oculus Touch controllers just shine in it.

Tain

It really is. Super polished. Makes me wish there was an actual game made out of it, lol. The title card calling it a "demo" makes me wonder if there's a larger version of it in the works.

While playing a game my rift screen went black. I was in oculus home and I could only hear through the headset speakers. Plugging it back in a few times and it worked again, but only for a short time.

The sensor lights are white, but the rift has that orange light and when I place it on my head the screen stays black.

Could be a lot things, HDMI cable broken, USB drivers, my 980Ti HDMI.

I've unplugged it at the moment. I just connected it back yesterday ( had it off for long time) and was playing Minecraft.

I might try a few things later on.

Steel

Banned
While playing a game my rift screen went black. I was in oculus home and I could only hear through the headset speakers. Plugging it back in a few times and it worked again, but only for a short time.

The sensor lights are white, but the rift has that orange light and when I place it on my head the screen stays black.

Could be a lot things, HDMI cable broken, USB drivers, my 980Ti HDMI.

I've unplugged it at the moment. I just connected it back yesterday ( had it off for long time) and was playing Minecraft.

I might try a few things later on.

Well, it does have a 1 year warranty if worst comes to worst.

Bought off eBay and didn't get a receipt.

It says no HDMI cable detected.

I plugged in another device into my HDMI slot and it worked, so the Rift's HDMI cable might be the issue.

I checked the pins and they all seem intact.

Also tried HDMI to DP adaptor but still nothing.

I contacted support and sent them an email.

It's asking for your order number but I didn't have one.

Is it bad to have my Rift plugged into my PC at all times when not in use?

No, not at all.

It turns the screens off when you take it from your face. It's still on though as long as Oculus Home is running.

There's an indicator led inside the Rift that I feel a lot of people are missing. It's above the lenses, next to the proximity sensor. It's white when the Rift is on and orange when it's off.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So my brother gave me his old Titan-X card from work (they upgraded to the new Pascal cards), and HOLY HELL is there a huge difference on the Rift from my 970. I was able to turn up all the detail settings in Asseto Corsa and it still ran better than my old card with stuff on Medium or Low.

Time to start messing with the debug tool. I'm guessing x1.5 will be fine, not sure if x2.0 will be consistently playable.

Anyone playing Minecraft, Impressions perhaps?

It's fine I guess. Nothing horribly wrong about it but I don't think it's a particularly amazing experience either, though I could just be tired of Minecraft.

Yep, pretty much what I thought.

I do like that they give you the option to pull back out of full VR and just look at the game via the in-game TV, because full VR makes me a little sick, which is surprising because I can play games like Eve, Elite: Dangerous, and Dirt Rally just fine.

Jamesac68

Banned
I thought it was a really good implementation of Minecraft in VR. It gives new life to the game, being able to see the terrain and structures at "real" size, and gives a sense of scale that simply wasn't there before. I've left the turning motion at default and played for a couple hours with no bad effects. It doesn't work for everyone, but if it does for you then it's well worth checking out.

Enordash

I thought it was a really good implementation of Minecraft in VR. It gives new life to the game, being able to see the terrain and structures at "real" size, and gives a sense of scale that simply wasn't there before. I've left the turning motion at default and played for a couple hours with no bad effects. It doesn't work for everyone, but if it does for you then it's well worth checking out.

The VR turning option makes the game feel like a bit of a chore to me. I ended up just using the pulled out living room mode more often than not. It's nice that you can seamlessly switch at least.

Tain

I'm really, really curious about this:

Does anybody actually find Eve Valkyrie less disorienting than Minecraft Rift? I tried the two back-to-back last night and while neither is unplayable for me, Eve seems much more disorienting despite its use of a cockpit.

I'm really, really curious about this:

Does anybody actually find Eve Valkyrie less disorienting than Minecraft Rift? I tried the two back-to-back last night and while neither is unplayable for me, Eve seems much more disorienting despite its use of a cockpit.

I definitely find EVE less disorienting because of the cockpit. Same thing with Dirt: Rally / Project Cars or any game that is cockpit motion.

Being grounded in a seat really helps me.

Tain

I definitely find EVE less disorienting because of the cockpit. Same thing with Dirt: Rally / Project Cars or any game that is cockpit motion.

Being grounded in a seat really helps me.

Are you standing while playing Rift Minecraft, out of curiosity? I mean, I assume not but I'm being extra sure lol

b0bbyJ03

Hello everyone, I'm super new to VR, I had a friend come over and bring his Oculus and he decided to lend it to me for a few days so I'd like to take this opportunity to experience as much as possible. I'd love to try half life 2 in VR but have no idea what to do. As far as I can tell I can only start games from the Oculus app. Is there a guide or anything that anyone can provide that will point me in the right direction. From what I understand there are ways to use it with any game. Thanks.

Hello everyone, I'm super new to VR, I had a friend come over and bring his Oculus and he decided to lend it to me for a few days so I'd like to take this opportunity to experience as much as possible. I'd love to try half life 2 in VR but have no idea what to do. As far as I can tell I can only start games from the Oculus app. Is there a guide or anything that anyone can provide that will point me in the right direction. From what I understand there are ways to use it with any game. Thanks.

The bolded parts of your quote are sadly not compatible unless you're one of the really lucky ones. HL2 is not even close to a good introductory experience to VR. It's more likely to make you sick in seconds.

As for starting external apps, you can do that. You've got to go to the settings in Oculus Home and enable the toggle to allow launching of external apps, and you'll be good to go. Just launch whatever VR app you've got and put the headset on.

Keep in mind that Oculus Home has several free experiences (including Lucky's Tale unless something has changed recently) that are very good intros to VR.

Are you standing while playing Rift Minecraft, out of curiosity? I mean, I assume not but I'm being extra sure lol

lol, no. Sitting down. But moving with the right stick in Minecraft is just super jarring. I can play even Adr1ft without much sickness, but Minecraft just does not agree with my brain I guess.

I downloaded a free trial of Tridef, which I'm using in combination with Virtual Desktop to make games 3D. It works pretty damn well, I made the screen large and close and have been playing Crysis 3, it has good depth almost like it's a slice of a full VR experience. Then I realized Crysis 3 has in-game 3D support though so I didn't even need Tridef, haha.

I want to buy Vorpx but I read it takes a shitload of tinkering, and most games don't work very well. Anyone know if that's the case?

120v

I want to buy Vorpx but I read it takes a shitload of tinkering, and most games don't work very well. Anyone know if that's the case?

i bought it expecting it to be pretty crappy but was pleasantly surprised. well on some games at least. skyrim for example is pretty great and probably justified my purchase.

you can import others' profiles if you don't feel like dicking around with it too much but there aren't a whole lot to choose from

vermadas

I might wait for a few more reviews. It does look impressive though.

Definitely. What worries me about this review, is that nothing was said about the target reticle being locked to your gaze and how it might limit enjoyment compared to motion controller based shooting. I mean, I bet Oculus owners are getting tired of the Vive comparisons (it doesn't use roomscale or motion tracked controllers so it's an inferior experience!) but I think it's worth pointing out for a FPS game. Maybe they thought it worked really well, but I don't like that they didn't address it.

Jumped into Damaged Core, it is pretty neat.

Only completed the first mission but very much enjoyed it. Twisty seat or standing recommended I'd say.
Checkpoints were a bit questionable, and fairly intense first level, wonder how it'll progress.

Karish

Jumped into Damaged Core, it is pretty neat.

Only completed the first mission but very much enjoyed it. Twisty seat or standing recommended I'd say.
Checkpoints were a bit questionable, and fairly intense first level, wonder how it'll progress.

I agree on bad checkpoints.

I was enjoying Damaged Core until the game crashed on me towards the end of the first mission.

Cliched as it may sound, HVS truly took the limitations of VR and issues with locomotion and saw it as an opportunity to create something pretty interesting and unique. For a first generation effort in a completely new medium, it's a very good game.

Fucking Oculus.

I hate that company. I opened the support ticket because of the HDMI issue and they basically told me: Though luck. Cant do anything about it.
At least for me.

What they told me is, since I ordered from Amazon.com (since if anyone remembers Oculus didnt help me at all when I actually preordered from them in February) I seem to have to send it to someone in America, they have to send it to Oculus, they investigate the issue, send it back to the person in America and he would need to send it back to me...

I dont have a clue what to do now. I am sitting here with a 600$ system, paid 150$ shipping to Europe, because Oculus didnt answer me about my preorder from February and have a broken device now...

Definitely. What worries me about this review, is that nothing was said about the target reticle being locked to your gaze and how it might limit enjoyment compared to motion controller based shooting. I mean, I bet Oculus owners are getting tired of the Vive comparisons (it doesn't use roomscale or motion tracked controllers so it's an inferior experience!) but I think it's worth pointing out for a FPS game. Maybe they thought it worked really well, but I don't like that they didn't address it.
But why would they mention it? Oculus Rift currently has no motion controllers, so people reading the review will know it doesn't use them. That's like complaining in a PS4 game review that it doesn't use Kinect, or in an XBox One game review that touchpad controls would be better. How does that help the platform owner decide whether to buy the game?

Wallach

Played some Damaged Core tonight. Seems pretty well done so far. Can tell it won't be an easy game, I wasn't sure I was going to pass the introduction mission on my first try. You can tell it still has some roots in the wave shooter idea, but it seems quite a bit more refined than what I've played in VR to date. Even the introduction mission is pretty much more fleshed out than any of these kind of games I've played on the Vive really, and the unique take of kind of jumping from enemy to enemy as disposable life bars makes things a bit more interesting.

Definitely a game I recommend playing standing; you're not really dodging so much here (I don't know as you could avoid much enemy fire anyway, they're pretty serious) but your position has to sort of be managed by the enemy position that is moving when you aren't in control of one trying to move on some objective. So you'll sometimes have to grab an enemy who's got targets on either side of it, or facing the opposite direction of what your particular focus might be that second.

Pretty polished visually for what they're trying to do in VR here, though I would like to see the weapons have a little more intensity to them. The enemy reactions are actually pretty good, but I'd like a little more kick and audio impact, at least of the weapons I saw in the first mission. It was cool though how even in the first mission you have a variety of enemies of different scale, including some big ass ~20 foot tall dudes with laser beams and flying deals that you have to target some particular components with other enemies before you can hack them and take control.

For $30 I feel pretty good about the purchase so far.

vermadas

But why would they mention it? Oculus Rift currently has no motion controllers, so people reading the review will know it doesn't use them. That's like complaining in a PS4 game review that it doesn't use Kinect, or in an XBox One game review that touchpad controls would be better. How does that help the platform owner decide whether to buy the game?

I see your point. I still would have at least liked to see them address the face shooting and how much of a hinderance it was to their enjoyment of the game. The RoadToVR reviewer had this to say about it:
Personally, I hate gaze-based aiming systems in VR on principle, because they require you to use your neck as a fine pointing device—something it isn’t really designed for—and several hours can be overly taxing on your neck muscles. This is normally true when it comes to slower, more plodding games like VR Solitaire , but faster-paced games like Damaged Core seem to ameliorate this, as you’re constantly moving your head and fluidly readjusting for the perfect headshot.
Using the Xbox One gamepad with Damaged Core, the only supported controller currently, isn’t my personal ideal. I would much rather shoot an offending bot in the head with my own two hands than using my gaze combined with a few choice trigger pulls on the gamepad.

Despite these comments they rated the game 4/5 stars.

I will probably end up buying this game, but not sure when I will get around to playing it... Redout is coming in just a couple days, and I'm not yet finished Chronos or exhausted Dirt Rally.

gdt

So I just bought the Turing Test on PC, but when I start it the audio defaults to my Rift. Not the video.

And the isn't a VR game. Anyway to fix this without unplugging it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom