• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Eric Cloutier, one of Brooklyn's best techno expatriates, has gone and made his own record label called Palinoia (yaaaaaay)

He has released one of the tracks from the first release in full: Heuristic (yaaaaay)

I want to be excited by this.

I should be excited by this.

But this is regressive techno of the highest fucking order. Snooze.
I saw him a few months ago and it was great but wow, that is really forgettable

Linius

Grabbed my Nicolas Jaar ticket for Amsterdam in the pre-sale. Stoked to see him live at last. Still bummed out about missing Darkside.

Widge

I could have almost CRIED when I found the latest Long / Sprinkles 2x12" out of stock everywhere. Somehow, Phonica had some left in 3 days later after it went live. Grabbed it.

Just one more day to navigate and I'll have the trilogy!

I'm going to put an order in for that Giegling compilation and the thing with Huerco S remixes on it. Personal note: the Metatron track on the comp is underwhelming, and 2 The Sky getting repressed offers no quickening of heartbeat either, felt that was underwhelming also.

Beware October people, the release schedule is absolutely FIERCE. I cannot believe how many amazing albums and compilations are coming out.

Widge

Eric Cloutier, one of Brooklyn's best techno expatriates, has gone and made his own record label called Palinoia (yaaaaaay)

He has released one of the tracks from the first release in full: Heuristic (yaaaaay)

I want to be excited by this.

I should be excited by this.

But this is regressive techno of the highest fucking order. Snooze.

I had this with Cosmin TRG. Started up Fizic, was excited. Every track was just... yeah, forgettable.

okno

I could have almost CRIED when I found the latest Long / Sprinkles 2x12" out of stock everywhere. Somehow, Phonica had some left in 3 days later after it went live. Grabbed it.

I'm going to put an order in for that Giegling compilation and the thing with Huerco S remixes on it. Personal note: the Metatron track on the comp is underwhelming, and 2 The Sky getting repressed offers no quickening of heartbeat either, felt that was underwhelming also.

Beware October people, the release schedule is absolutely FIERCE. I cannot believe how many amazing albums and compilations are coming out.

Juno just released a batch of them today :) Buying mine right... NOW! Was honestly a bit let down with Purple/Blue, but the clips of Mint/Clay (ESPECIALLY the Sprinkles dubs) are pure fire!

Widge

Juno just released a batch of them today :) Buying mine right... NOW! Was honestly a bit let down with Purple/Blue, but the clips of Mint/Clay (ESPECIALLY the Sprinkles dubs) are pure fire!

The thing about this is I don't think they suit listening to the original and Sprinkles overdubs right after each other.

The CD is structured with a disc each and I feel that would be the better listen. Vinyl makes a great collectors piece and is, obviously, great for playing out.

they're gone already :(

what should I be keeping my eye out for?

okno

Man. Shit. Those copies on Juno went FAST. Just took a look at the Comatonse store and it says "coming soon" next to them, so there is hope!

Heads up the third one gets released on the 29th, according to Comatonse.

For anyone with Ibiza experience, how SOL am I that I don't have a ticket for Carl Cox next tuesday and it's sold out? Is there a place for second hand tickets? How's just waiting at the door?

Widge

Skudge - Balancing Point
Grant - Cranks
Indigo Area - Lost Archives Special
Raw Series 03
Jason Hogans - The Age of Scrap (no streams online :( - think bits of Villalobos mixed up with Flying Lotus and Luke Vibert)
Prins Thomas - Principe Del Norte Remixes (Villalobos, The Orb, Young Marco, Gerd etc.)
A Made Up Sound - 2009 - 2016
youandewan - There Is No Right Time

I'm sure there'll be more!
Big fan of almost all of that, definitely getting those Skudge and Grant things

Widge

And the Sprinkles/Long trilogy is complete. Great one this last one. Definitely one to listen on CD though, vinyls are pure collectors/DJ set fodder imo. Not really the way to experience - a stripped back track for 14 minutes and then again but with Sprinkles sticking a bassline on it.

Grabbed the Planetary Assault Systems LP and Xosar LP while I was at it.

In other news, BenUFO was rather taken with this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2i-l5Xs1I

And the Sprinkles/Long trilogy is complete. Great one this last one. Definitely one to listen on CD though, vinyls are pure collectors/DJ set fodder imo. Not really the way to experience - a stripped back track for 14 minutes and then again but with Sprinkles sticking a bassline on it.

Grabbed the Planetary Assault Systems LP and Xosar LP while I was at it.

In other news, BenUFO was rather taken with this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2i-l5Xs1I
where are you seeing it?

Widge

where are you seeing it?

The Long/Sprinkles? I grabbed it at Boomkat.

#1 & #3 in Boomkat. I almost missed #2 if I hadn't done a cursory search. Everywhere was sold out by the time I woke up on that, but somehow Phonica had a copy in still. So lucky, it would have been £30 from Discogs by that point. #1 is already £40 on there.

I had a cursory scan through Boomkat, I thought I may as well get over the £50 mark if I was walloping out £24 on a single EP. Came across the Luke Slater thing. Never really been on board with Mr Slater in the past, certainly not owned much beyond a copy of Love (Loved). This was phenomenal. So had to grab that. Then it was a case of making up the numbers and I remember I had a mental bookmark for that Xosar LP.

A touch crushed that the Willow Workshop release is gone gone gone. I do believe Workshop get represses though. Still overjoyed when I got a trio of Kassem Mosse stuff for £4.80 in Redeye's sale section last year. Love that shop for bargain hunting.

andylsun

Loving Sirens. Some really enjoyable tunes on it. It's a lot more warm and fun than I expected.

The lyrics are pretty bleak on the tracks. It's not a happy album but that's ok

Edit: it appears there's some track list strangeness going on. My copy which was in a zip file as part of my vinyl deluxe edition purchase called 'sirens for op' has 9 tracks and is 24/44.1 aif files). The store shows 6 tracks and 16 bit lossless download)

BeeDog

The Long/Sprinkles? I grabbed it at Boomkat.

#1 & #3 in Boomkat. I almost missed #2 if I hadn't done a cursory search. Everywhere was sold out by the time I woke up on that, but somehow Phonica had a copy in still. So lucky, it would have been £30 from Discogs by that point. #1 is already £40 on there.

I had a cursory scan through Boomkat, I thought I may as well get over the £50 mark if I was walloping out £24 on a single EP. Came across the Luke Slater thing. Never really been on board with Mr Slater in the past, certainly not owned much beyond a copy of Love (Loved). This was phenomenal. So had to grab that. Then it was a case of making up the numbers and I remember I had a mental bookmark for that Xosar LP.

A touch crushed that the Willow Workshop release is gone gone gone. I do believe Workshop get represses though. Still overjoyed when I got a trio of Kassem Mosse stuff for £4.80 in Redeye's sale section last year. Love that shop for bargain hunting.

Still waiting for my copy of it, but I took a listen on Spotify. Good album, but not as memorable as "The Messenger". The problem so far is that while Slater's hypnotic techno is super-cool, I don't find many of the tracks on "Arc Angel" to be uniquely identifiable like many of the tracks on "The Messenger". Doesn't help that the album is super-long too.

okno

The lyrics are pretty bleak on the tracks. It's not a happy album but that's ok

Edit: it appears there's some track list strangeness going on. My copy which was in a zip file as part of my vinyl deluxe edition purchase called 'sirens for op' has 9 tracks and is 24/44.1 aif files). The store shows 6 tracks and 16 bit lossless download)

Did you purchase it through Bandcamp? I know it's not possible to upload less than 24bit on there.

andylsun

Did you purchase it through Bandcamp? I know it's not possible to upload less than 24bit on there.

Bought it direct from shop.other-people.net which is run by bleep stores

My copy is 47 minutes where the album is listed as 42 minutes. I will be interest to see what's missing from the vinyl

kX677MKm.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Trying to remember and track down a really cheesy french house album from the early 2000s. The cover was heavily Frank Frazetta-esque, with a warrior and his bikini-clad lady floating in space near a big ship, lots of red/brown/gold tones. Also it wasn't by like "DJ French House" or whatever, I think the guy put out the album under his actual name. Anyone know what this might've been?

okno

Trying to remember and track down a really cheesy french house album from the early 2000s. The cover was heavily Frank Frazetta-esque, with a warrior and his bikini-clad lady floating in space near a big ship, lots of red/brown/gold tones. Also it wasn't by like "DJ French House" or whatever, I think the guy put out the album under his actual name. Anyone know what this might've been?

This sounds so familiar to me. Def sounds like something one of the Kitsune dudes or someone from that ilk would have done.

big ander

Bought it direct from shop.other-people.net which is run by bleep stores

My copy is 47 minutes where the album is listed as 42 minutes. I will be interest to see what's missing from the vinyl

kX677MKm.jpg

the differences between the standard digital/vinyl versions and the "Sirens for OP" version are:
-track 1 "Killing Time" on the standard is split into tracks 1-3 "Mirrors" to "Sirens"
-On the standard "The Governor" is next, on the "for OP" version "wildflowers" is between the "Sirens" and "The Governor"

I just have the standard with Wildflowers as a bonus track, haven't listened in the "for OP" order yet but I love what I've heard so far. "Three Sides of Nazareth" + "History Lesson" is huge

andylsun

In love with the new Jaar record. Will definitely be getting it on vinyl when it's coming.

Next week! The deluxe version with the silver scratch off lottery cover is sold out.

Does anyone have the English translation for No? Song is stuck in my head but I've no idea what it's about.

I had a surprise listening to my vinyl of Nymphs III a few months ago. There's an extra track on the other side. Side 1 is swim/mistress and side 2 is revolver. Revolver hasn't been released anywhere else. They also play back at different speeds. 33rpm for one side and 45r for the other.

Next week! The deluxe version with the silver scratch off lottery cover is sold out.

Does anyone have the English translation for No? Song is stuck in my head but I've no idea what it's about.

I had a surprise listening to my vinyl of Nymphs III a few months ago. There's an extra track on the other side. Side 1 is swim/mistress and side 2 is revolver. Revolver hasn't been released anywhere else. They also play back at different speeds. 33rpm for one side and 45r for the other.
33/45 is fairly common for releases with two tracks on one side and one on the other

Widge

Rush Hour are coming to Manchester next weekend with Hunee etc. Due to kids, I can't do the evening do, but will go to Antal Rush Hour & Interstellar Funk's session @ Eastern Bloc records for a drink or two!

Other news:

DJ Metatron's U'll Be The King Of The Stars got repressed and I threw my wallet at the monitor. Against the grain, I didn't really think the last release was all that, and the contributed track to the forthcoming Giegling compilation doesn't strike a chord either. That one was on the money though. Related, I have to get this one from Gerd's Fabric mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHelIK5Jbl0

Widge

Afternoon post: I'm getting into Bandcamp more and more. I like paying money directly to the artist and particularly like being able to download an ALAC / AIFF of something I'm buying on 12".

What bandcamp labels out there do you recommend to follow?

BeeDog

Afternoon post: I'm getting into Bandcamp more and more. I like paying money directly to the artist and particularly like being able to download an ALAC / AIFF of something I'm buying on 12".

What bandcamp labels out there do you recommend to follow?

I assume you listen to quite a lot of techno? If so, here are some suggestions:

http://northernelectronics.bandcamp.com
http://dement3d.bandcamp.com
http://hypnus.bandcamp.com
http://kabalion.bandcamp.com
http://semanticarecords.bandcamp.com
http://dvs1mistress.bandcamp.com
http://subsist.bandcamp.com
http://perctrax.bandcamp.com

Rush Hour are coming to Manchester next weekend with Hunee etc. Due to kids, I can't do the evening do, but will go to Antal Rush Hour & Interstellar Funk's session @ Eastern Bloc records for a drink or two!

Other news:

DJ Metatron's U'll Be The King Of The Stars got repressed and I threw my wallet at the monitor. Against the grain, I didn't really think the last release was all that, and the contributed track to the forthcoming Giegling compilation doesn't strike a chord either. That one was on the money though. Related, I have to get this one from Gerd's Fabric mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHelIK5Jbl0
Is it just me or are the preorders of that repressing already sold out everywhere?

Widge

I got an email from Phonica saying it was a mistake, and it was the recent EP coming back into stock again.

Killer ;_;

TCRS

Banned
guys post good deep house please. I'm tired of going through all those youtube compilation sin the hope of finding something good.

BeeDog

The year isn't over yet, but have you guys any personal favorite EPs/singles? It has been an excellent year all in all, even more so for EPs, and it has been surprisingly hard to whittle down my favorites, but I think I've decided:

Techno: I Hate Models - Warehouse Memories

Very, very hard techno, but I can't stop listening to this. I seriously doubt any single EP will top this one for me. Every single track on this EP kills it, but the eponymous one is THE one.

House: Floorplan - Music / Tell You No Lie

"Tell You No Lie" is like the ultimate disco-house tune in ages, have had it on repeat since the day it was released.

Top Bottom