• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gets Console HDR Support

Yep. I just checked the patch notes on my PS4.

I'm going to look at it myself but...there's really nothing I could do in a video to show it off. That's the whole issue right now - you cannot actually demonstrate HDR on an SDR display. Most of the attempted examples are incredibly fake and unflattering.

I will try it tonight.

How about a HDR comparison of Deus Ex on PS4 and Xbox One S?

I really want to know how much additional work there is to add PC support for HDR. It isn't like the hardware doesn't exist. If you're making the console version have HDR, how much more could there be to make it work on PC?

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really want to know how much additional work there is to add PC support for HDR. It isn't like the hardware doesn't exist. If you're making the console version have HDR, how much more could there be to make it work on PC?

Windows doesn't support it yet afaik so you have to use vendor specific stuff instead of directX.

Lister

Banned

Wasn't Nixes responsible for the port? They probably will add it soon enough.

Actually implementing HDR on PC games isn't difficult. It's the OS/driver support that hasn't been available until very recently.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How about a HDR comparison of Deus Ex on PS4 and Xbox One S?
I can try them both for sure but...there's still not going to be a way to show them.

...what I CAN do with this is finally understand how HDR works on PS4. Very curious.

Windows doesn't support it yet afaik so you have to use vendor specific stuff instead of directX.

Wasn't Nixes responsible for the port? They probably will add it soon enough.

Actually implementing HDR on PC games isn't difficult. It's the OS/driver support that hasn't been available until very recently.

What!? Windows is a holdup here? Seriously? I know your graphics card obviously has to support it and the driver has to support that, but that's the first I've heard of it being an OS issue.

Lister

Banned
I can try them both for sure but...there's still not going to be a way to show them.

...what I CAN do with this is finally understand how HDR works on PS4. Very curious.

The limitaiton is bandwidth, right? So maybe it's possible to send a 1080p image + HDR via a non HDMI 2.0a port?

Karak

We will be doing a full video breakdown and discussion of all this in a couple days or so(once Mafia 3 is out of the way).
Sadly with HDR not really being able to be displayed on SDR much of that is going to be lacking but I got word of the thread and ya we are covering it soon.
But we will have some drawn out discussion about the differences if any of PS4 pro versus S HDR. And will be having some guest Gaffers on to discuss and compare as well. Should be fun.
This gen is looking to be insane.

Orayn

What!? Windows is a holdup here? Seriously? I know your graphics card obviously has to support it and the driver has to support that, but that's the first I've heard of it being an OS issue.

The drivers and hardware do support it, there's a demo program that can send the same kind of HDR signal to a TV as consoles do.

Windows desktop composition doesn't support it yet IIRC, so it can only be done in exclusive full screen right now.

The drivers and hardware do support it, there's a demo program that can send the same kind of HDR signal to a TV as consoles do.

Windows desktop composition doesn't support it yet IIRC, so it can only be done in exclusive full screen right now.

Well, as far as my personal experiences are concerned then (I have a HDR compliant TV and graphics card as well as playing my games in full screen), there's no reason for a hold-up.

Come on devs! If you're going to put the work into the console versions, don't leave PC out in the cold!

NXGamer

Yeah that's exactly what I would love to know. Is it comparable or the same?

Support for 4K resolution.
It would be amazed to see a large difference as the Port is not the issue, will be covering both versions shortly snd attempt to demonstrate and explain as best through SDR formats...not easy ;-/

Gitaroo

Well, as far as my personal experiences are concerned then (I have a HDR compliant TV and graphics card as well as playing my games in full screen), there's no reason for a hold-up.

Come on devs! If you're going to put the work into the console versions, don't leave PC out in the cold!

More importantly it does not require ms to update or even do anything about it. There is already a UE4 kit that you can run on pc that output hdr signal and it works as long as you have the right hardware like maxwell and pascel card. I ran it on my 970.

MCD

It would be amazed to see a large difference as the Port is not the issue, will be covering both versions shortly snd attempt to demonstrate and explain as best through SDR formats...not easy ;-/

I just your noticed your username.

Will wait for comparison. :)

dark10x

Hmm, it does actually work and it looks incredible. This is the perfect game for HDR (walking around Prague at night with the ultra bright neon and electronic signs everywhere).

The PS4 passes 1080p BT.2020 12-bit and it works.

The game does not immediately start up in HDR mode but it did pop-up a message noting that my TV supports HDR and asked if I wanted to enable it.

I wish there were some way to communicate this to people but faking screens and video really just doesn't sit well with me since it gives the impression that you're just boosting contrast artificially.

I'm noticing one glitch, though - while talking to characters, there are brief white flashes appearing when the camera cuts. Just a frame or two of full white.

What exacyly are the ps4p enhancements? Notes dont say.
LLugrPw.jpg

Nothing detailed but most likely things like texture filtering, shadows and similar to be improved even on 1080p sets.

Paz

Hmm, it does actually work and it looks incredible. This is the perfect game for HDR (walking around Prague at night with the ultra bright neon and electronic signs everywhere).

The game does not immediately start up in HDR mode but it did pop-up a message noting that my TV supports HDR and asked if I wanted to enable it.

I wish there were some way to communicate this to people but faking screens and video really just doesn't sit well with me since it gives the impression that you're just boosting contrast artificially.

Bought this game on PS4 over the weekend and am now 100x more excited to dive in after I get back from dev days, thanks for the hype-o-meter mate.

The HDR option is greyed-out for me despite having an HDR capable 4K TV.

Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas? All my HDMI ports are 2.0 and HDR is set to Automatic on the PS4.

I'll be interested in watching the DF video on the differences between HDR and non-HDR with Deus Ex.

I have low expectations in this, but I hope it's good for the technology going forward.

I'm going to look at it myself but...there's really nothing I could do in a video to show it off. That's the whole issue right now - you cannot actually demonstrate HDR on an SDR display. Most of the attempted examples are incredibly fake and unflattering.

I will try it tonight.

What he said. But if you see the same content on an HDR screen next to an SDR screen, usually the SDR screen looks more washed out. You'll start to realize that the colors on non HDR content you've been seeing all your life are very muted compared to HDR.

Paz

This is what I'm wondering. Hardly knowledgeable on the topic, but from what I read it seemed unlikely you'd need to upgrade cables for HDR to work, no?

Already installed 4.1.

I'm not sure, 1080p HDR on 2013 GPU's is a really weird scenario.

I needed new cables for 4K stuff though from my PC, so maybe.

(I don't know enough about HDMI specs to say one way or another).

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I feel kind of weird that I've put off playing this game more because I'm waiting for the PSPro to show up. I'm all set with the HDR4K set, so I'm tempted to boot it up and see if there's some difference in the HDR, but I know I'll just end up playing it for longer. I've only sunk about 5 hours into it, so it's not too bad having to wait. My backlog is still keeping me busy.

dr_rus

Currently, there is no OS level support which means developers would have to resort to GPU manufacturer implementations (I know Nvidia is actively offering one, no idea about AMD). Understandably too much work to support such a niche audience (no HDR monitors on sale yet + only recent GPUs support the feature anyway). However, OS level support for Windows 10 is slated to go live early next year with developers already having access to the required features so they can prepare.

Nvidia claimed a bunch of games will support their NV HDR soon, but yeah, guess which of the announced titles has support right now?
GTX-1080-HDR.png

Didn't the necessary changes to DXGI went live with AU? I remember them saying something on this. But it's not that hard to use IHV APIs for the same thing and it's arguably even preferable as this way you're able to bring HDR not only to Win10 but to 7 and Vista as well, the only limitation is that the game must be exclusive fullscreen.

thatJohann

I'm noticing one glitch, though - while talking to characters, there are brief white flashes appearing when the camera cuts. Just a frame or two of full white.

Hopefully you're able to do some comparisons though, so curious to see what the difference is!

dark10x

Is this game actually running in BT.2020?

How would you say that is does compare to FH3's HDR implementation?
The game is passing BT.2020, that's all I can say for certain.

I'm more impressed thus far than FH3 (which looks great). I'm playing another HDR game as well, of course - will have more on that soon.

Any reason you're choosing to use 12-bit output? Does it look different to 10bit?
I'm not actually selecting 10 or 12-bit - the PS4 offers "automatic" or "off" for deep color and the game/system are automatically engaging 12-bit mode.

McSpidey

Just testing this now. The options menu has the HDR on/off tab and a similar brightness setting to Forza Horizon 3 where they have a max white value outside and an inner icon they ask you to increase the brightness level of until it's near invisible.
Update: Hmm, raising this brightness setting has raised the black level of the game beyond black, so it doesn't work the same way as Forza.
Update 2: This is going to need a bunch more investigation as HDR mode on seems to raise the in-game and PS4 dashboards black level, even without changing this setting, and testing in dark areas of the game confirms this setting isn't raising the black level, it's just already raised by turning HDR on.

Is it just me or do they tone-map the playstation dashboard when you switch to it? There's a brightness fade.
Update: It only seemed to happen the first time after turning HDR on, now it's just a fixed brightness and transitions normally.

I'm not actually selecting 10 or 12-bit - the PS4 offers "automatic" or "off" for deep color and the game/system are automatically engaging 12-bit mode.

I see. The patch is now downloaded and it's the same for me.

dr_rus

I'm more impressed thus far than FH3 (which looks great). I'm playing another HDR game as well, of course - will have more on that soon.

What TV are you using?

The biggest issue I see with transmitting HDR metadata over HDMI 1.4 is that some TV sets may not be able to pick it up unless they see an HDMI 2.0+ source.

Caayn

Thanks for the response. Would love to hear a confirmation in the future about the colour gamut that this game, or other Playstation HDR games, uses. As Microsoft currently only allows for rec.709 in games.

It's good to hear that so far you're more impressed with DX:MD than with FH3. As I find FH3's HDR mode underwhelming on my OLED.

Lucifon

This game looks really bad at day time on Xbox, so jaggy.

In HDR mode the loading screen pictures seem jacked up, the colours dont look right.

dark10x

What TV are you using?

The biggest issue I see with transmitting HDR metadata over HDMI 1.4 is that some TV sets may not be able to pick it up unless they see an HDMI 2.0+ source.
Using an LG B6 OLED TV.

What he said. But if you see the same content on an HDR screen next to an SDR screen, usually the SDR screen looks more washed out. You'll start to realize that the colors on non HDR content you've been seeing all your life are very muted compared to HDR.
Yes, this is true, but there's more to it...

It's the difference between the light intensities that really impresses. You can have dark, shadowy areas on screen as well as extremely bright areas and it looks quite natural. In DX, a super bright neon sign can be contrasted against a darkened sky in a way that feels more like what your eyes would see. It relies on increased color, sure, but the actual impression isn't just that there are more colors on screen.

It's like walking outside under a bright but cloudy sky - the sky is very intensely illuminated to the point where you might feel the need to squint but if you look around on the ground, things appear less bright. HDR displays are able to capture this type of realism. It's very effective.

In HDR mode the loading screen pictures seem jacked up, the colours dont look right.
Yup, I noticed this as well.

Seems like a weird one with the art direction of the game, but more games with support is all good.

Just seems like this one would have minimal change due to it's muted color pallets.

Lucifon

Still struggling to tell the difference between HDR and non HDR. Thought it might just be forza but the only thing I can tell the difference on deus ex is the loading screens are screwed up in HDR mode as if the contrast has been bodged. It just seems like my tv is brighter and that's about it.

B6 OLED.

Well I got it working supposedly but that was underwhelming.

Apart from the loading screen thing mentioned above, I noticed no difference at all (currently in the Prague hub).

On the contrary actually, on both settings it looked jaggier and uglier than before thanks to the new patch. Baffling.

NXGamer

I just your noticed your username.

Will wait for comparison. :)
Thanks, I have a couple of titles I am looking /testing at the moment so will have more info and videos/articles up soon.

The game does benefit from the wider range from darkest to light avaliable. More refined and a natural tone is the best way of putting it, allowing them to display accurately at the same time, well more accurately to be precise. But not a game-changer by any means.

Lister

Banned
Still struggling to tell the difference between HDR and non HDR. Thought it might just be forza but the only thing I can tell the difference on deus ex is the loading screens are screwed up in HDR mode as if the contrast has been bodged. It just seems like my tv is brighter and that's about it.

B6 OLED.

Well, there should be more detailed in bright and dark areas that there was in SDR. Greater expression of contrast values means detials that would have been lost because they were next to bright areas, should be visible and more "naturally" lit and same for darker areas. The overall brightness of bright lights should also be much higher than in SDR.

Personally, I think the effect is usually noticeable and notably better than SDR, but let's be clear here, the "REVOLUTIONARY" quality of HDR is pure marketing hype. It's a really nice evolutionary step for panels and media. But it's not magic. You're not suddenly going to stop notice jaggies or lack of texture filtering, or low frame rates.

But lighting, specially with modern physically based rendering, should look much more convincing and realistic, and that's going to do wonders for immersion in some games.

Lucifon

Well, there should be more detailed in bright and dark areas that there was in SDR. Greater expression of contrast values means detials that would have been lost because they were next to bright areas, should be visible and more "naturally" lit and same for darker areas. The overall brightness of bright lights should also be much higher than in SDR.

Just barely seems noticable to me. I noticed lights slightly brighter but then the oled brightness is set to max in HDR mode whereas I use the tv generally on around 70 brightness so that right there could be doing that.

Are the loading screens messed up in HDR mode for others?

B6 OLED.

i noticed it right away by just looking up at the sky clouds and sky looked much more defined instead of just super bright.

Top Bottom