• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cringeworthy things you've seen gamers in person do?

Ban Puncher

I once saw a bunch of nerds who posted on a video game forum tell other nerds that they weren't as nerdy as some other nerds.

...The problem needs to be assessed... Once the problem is understood, then a real solution can begin taking shape...

It's more that people are tired of telling people things that should be common sense. Thus get frustrated since the discussion seemingly can't move forward due to having to explain the same basic points over and over. Or having to explain stuff that should be a no brainer...

Of course. But [there are]... people out there that just don't get it. That is the reality of the situation and the severity of the fight. Letting the ignorance get the better of you serves no purpose...

Also: while we are engaged in a ‘fight’/dispute/discussion/opportunity to educate, we can attempt to adopt a rigorously/dispassionately analytical stance with respect to our own words/deeds, to determine if they actually serve our ultimate goals (justice, fairness, equality, diversity, inclusivity), precisely in order to more effectively contribute to the achievement of those goals.

Of course, during the course of a dispute/discussion, often this type of self-reflection is urged upon us by others, in an attempt to obfuscate/deflect; but when such self-reflection is undertaken earnestly and of our of volition, it tends to lead to good results, as we become better communicators, in the event that there are at least some folks in our audience who are at least somewhat receptive to the message (likewise, it is often wise to be a bit skeptical of our own initial judgments about the degree to which one or another person is in fact potentially receptive to our message).

Piers

Wear a Sonic badge on freshers week of university.
This is coming from me who still has his deviantart page rolling, though.

I once saw a bunch of nerds who posted on a video game forum tell other nerds that they weren't as nerdy as some other nerds.
Nerd

I used to run official Pokemon tournaments (its all sanctioned and you get prizes and points to go to higher competitions) and this guy used to come, claimed he had women 'eating out of the palm of his hand' and constantly bragging shit about his sexual prowess in front of the younger kids we had attending league sessions and tournaments and that.

We had a new girl show up, which was kinda rare, she was real nice and real good at the game and all. Bragging guy was paired up against her in round 3 or whatever, she beat him easy, and he fucking exploded 'I DIDN'T GET BEAT BY A GIRL SHE CHEATED, FUCKING BITCH' I was getting in telling him to call down or he'd be getting disqualified, but he was going mad. She very gracefully agreed to redo the match to placate him, she beat him again, and he was fucking bouncing off the walls 'FUCKING SLIMY BITCH, SHE WAS FLASHING HER TITS AT ME DISTRACTING ME SHE SHOULD BE DISQUALIFIED' And in the end, he was disqualified and we never saw him again.

Thats top of my list.

I fought a guy like this once. Not for a girl or about a girl, hell a female didn't have anything to do about it. Heh... I left that fight laughing so hard. "My eye! My eye man! What's wrong with you!? Who does that!?" Heheh..

On topic:

Back while I was living in NY. I was at a Gamestop talking with one of the guys I was cool with. This guy came in and flipped one of the display tables, knocked over some display boxes, and then pointed at the dude that I was talking to and said "fuck you" calmly and then left. The person I was talking to looked at me and said "I've never seen that guy before".

My social and professional circle doesn't have very many gamers in it, so I'm not exposed to pretty much any behavior that makes me raise my eyebrows. Sometimes, I'd see someone wear a video game related shirt, so I smile to myself because I "get the reference" and move on with my life.

One of the most "cringy" things that I see is Crossing Eden's behavior in social/political threads on the gaming side. Aggressively argumentative and quite honestly, borderline abusive. He's the #1 reason I stay off those kinds of threads.

Some wowhead told me smash bros was a kids game and that I was a freak for playing nintendo games. This dude pours hours into cod and wow. (In 2016.) Needless to say, I fired him.

Can't have people who verbally judge other people like that working for me.

Hope it was worth it.

Sorry, but your Nintendo fanaticism has reached new heights. It was evident in GAFV threads, but I didn't think this kind of behavior was possible. Holy shit.

Neogaf is meant to be a place of love & respect [...]

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

Forkball

what? I do that all the time, I have dozens of videogame shirts, I use them all the time, even when I am pumping iron at the gym
I'm amazed you aren't distracted by people yelling "NERD!" at you.

Nah but I have worn video game shirts in public before. I had a Zelda shirt in high school and a Mario shirt in college. Neither of them were cool. I do have two rad MGS shirts I still wear.

Don't be like those people who wear Kantai Collection shirts though.

TacosNSalsa

I remember getting called a gay (not the term used but I'd rather not type it) for not being able to play Gears of War for long that night cause I wanted to take my girlfriend out for dinner and a movie...other than that I really can't think about anything else.I tend to find it rather endearing when someone is passionate about something ..for the most part..

Twiforce

One of the most "cringy" things that I see is Crossing Eden's behavior in social/political threads on the gaming side. Aggressively argumentative and quite honestly, borderline abusive. He's the #1 reason I stay off those kinds of threads

Dude, come on. Don't do this.

Juat to counter this I wanna say I appreciate Eden's posts in threads like that. They speak up for what's right.

Console warriors in general are pretty cringeworthy. It extends to the pc vs apple crowd too, even if i do catch my self shaking my head when i see young people defaulting to a macbook for college.

Maximus P

Mostly just Fanboys shit . I was out shopping one day and I witnessed a guy talk his friend out of buying an X1 in the early release days becuase 'it can't play games in high definition' and was 'only slightly more powerful than the 360' he then started to go on about how Kinect was a device funded by the american government to spy on people.

The amount of hyperbole that filtered down to to the more casual gamer that don't use sites such as GAF was very cringworthy in the early days of the X1 and ps4 release.

Jesus talk about ruining a good thing. Its always fun to poke at the absurd but then you start off the thread with petty shit about not liking something someone else likes, bring in heavy social/political discussion into a thread that is supposed to be lighthearted, and then get upset when people start poking fun at you.

Some people here take themselves far too seriously for a site about videogames.

sinkfla87

A guy I was playing SFV against in a tournament had his friend walk over and "accidentally" sync his controller in the middle of our match. I didn't know anybody there so I let it slide once, then he desynced his controller and the TO didn't do anything about it lol. I knew it was bullshit but I ended up losing regardless.

vaporeon

Not really cringe, more baffling than anything.
I went to a Smash tournament for the first time and ton of these asian guys there kept referring to each other using the n-word. Seriously?

ViolentP

Also: while we are engaged in a ‘fight’/dispute/discussion/opportunity to educate, we can attempt to adopt a rigorously/dispassionately analytical stance with respect to our own words/deeds, to determine if they actually serve our ultimate goals (justice, fairness, equality, diversity, inclusivity), precisely in order to more effectively contribute to the achievement of those goals.

Of course, during the course of a dispute/discussion, often this type of self-reflection is urged upon us by others, in an attempt to obfuscate/deflect; but when such self-reflection is undertaken earnestly and of our of volition, it tends to lead to good results, as we become better communicators, in the event that there are at least some folks in our audience who are at least somewhat receptive to the message (likewise, it is often wise to be a bit skeptical of our own initial judgments about the degree to which one or another person is in fact potentially receptive to our message).

Agreed. We have a hell of an opportunity in being able to communicate with people from all facets of life. The only thing that will ultimately prevent evolution of thought is unnecessary barriers we put in front of ourselves.

These two posts outline why that logic doesn't work quite well.

Both of which were written in response to the exact same arguments by the exact same person, who never replied back. Draw any conclusions from that. :)

Wearing a video game shirt.

OUTSIDE

I wish I weren't so vain that I agreed. Hahahaha

This. In middle school I got my ass kicked for wearing an Illusion of Gaia shirt. Never again.

Must be depressing to live in your world. :/

Sayad

If this is a slight at me it wouldn't really work as I don't really talk about video games in public setting.
I mean, whatever you say, but I don't see how you not doing this IRL make that post any less funny or not work as a slight at you! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ViolentP

Both of which were written in response to the exact same arguments by the exact same person, who never replied back. Draw any conclusions from that. :)

No conclusions need to be drawn as I could tell you personally. I did not feel I had anything further of relevance to add to the conversation so I chose to step away than to speak without due thought. But if you prefer to believe there is some other motive in play, I won't try and stop you.

I'm amazed you aren't distracted by people yelling "NERD!" at you.

Nah but I have worn video game shirts in public before. I had a Zelda shirt in high school and a Mario shirt in college. Neither of them were cool. I do have two rad MGS shirts I still wear.

Don't be like those people who wear Kantai Collection shirts though.

never people said anything like that to me, it is usually the other way around, they come to comment how awesome the shirt is.

I am not the typical nerd "stereotype", I am kind of muscular, we'll groomed beard, with awesome children and wife , driving a muscle car with 360 horse power, lol

When I overheard someone in one of my art classes say "The Witcher 3 is a great example of why American RPGs are better than Japanese RPGs".

The Witcher 3 is a Polish game lol

N° 2048

When I overheard someone in one of my art classes say "The Witcher 3 is a great example of why American RPGs are better than Japanese RPGs".

The Witcher 3 is a Polish game lol

The Witcher 3 is still considered a "Western RPG".

"American RPG" is funny though.

See, I think the situation is simply not being respected for what it is. This for example:

Reality is trying to be dictated in this case and a response for that reality has already been formulated. The problem needs to be assessed fully and without bias. Once the problem is understood, then a real solution can begin taking shape.

"Needs to be assessed", "is understood", "can begin taking shape". How well is that progressing about? Oh wait, you meant us, dind't you? Well, thanks for laying out so clearly where our efforts should be directed, chief, please don't strain yourself too much. Back to work!

Seriously, a more textbook example of concern troll I've never met. You've ticked of like every box.

A guy in my Economics class wears a shirt that says "PC MASTER RACE" on the back like almost every day. First time I saw it I couldn't believe my eyes,

v1lla21

Two guys arguing at a gamestop still had that CoD vs BF thing going on and they were at least in their mid 20s. I licked the frito dust off my fingers, pointed at them, and yelled nerds. Lol stupid guys should play real games. Picked up my copy of senran kagura that day.

ViolentP

"Needs to be assessed", "is understood", "can begin taking shape". How well is that progressing about? Oh wait, you meant us, dind't you? Well, thanks for laying out so clearly where our efforts should be directed, chief, please don't strain yourself too much. Back to work!

Seriously, a more textbook example of concern troll I've never met. You've ticked of like every box.

Apologies if I offended you in another thread.

A guy in my Economics class wears a shirt that says "PC MASTER RACE" on the back like almost every day. First time I saw it I couldn't believe my eyes,

I'm willing to bet his odor is not pleasant. That is pretty funny though, I'd find it hard to not make a comment about his stupid ass shirt one of those days.

No conclusions need to be drawn as I could tell you personally. I did not feel I had anything further of relevance to add to the conversation so I chose to step away than to speak without due thought. But if you prefer to believe there is some other motive in play, I won't try and stop you.

Well:
1) You didn't concede a single point.
2) You didn't even have the common decency of saying "thank you" that we took the time to explain to you the situation, when the situation is how tiring it is to keep explaining the situation.
3) You are spewing the same tone policing shit in this thread as if nothing ever happened.
These seem like conclusive enough evidence to me. See, the thing with concern trolls is that they think they're so smart and have it all figured out, but hilariously they all use the exact same tactics.

Now you can prove me wrong and actually engage with the conversation, or rinse and repeat the same tone policing and playing victim.

OP your story sounds like something I would do on purpose to try and piss people like you off.

The most embarrassing stuff I see is when people in coffee shops and stuff just yell out video game quotes with no context. Same with internet videos.

Omg there are some good terrible t shirts here too. I almost bought a "Waluigi University" tank for the gym once.

ViolentP

Well, since you:
1) Didn't concede a single point.
2) Didn't even have the common decency of saying "thank you" that we took the time to explain to you the situation, when the situation is how tiring it is to keep explaining the situation.
3) Are spewing the same tone policing shit in this thread.
Then it seems like there is conclusive enough evidence. See, the thing with concern trolls is that they think they're so smart and have it all figured out, but hilariously they all use the exact same tactics.

Now you can prove me wrong and actually engage with the conversation, or rinse and repeat the same tone policing and playing victim.

I will let you continue nitpicking every one of my posts in this thread. I'm fine with that. If you actually want to talk, I'll wait until you cool off.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
I once saw a kid buying call of duty, or halo or some such instead of a truly good game like Bloodborne or the last of us. But then he was hit by a car and paralyzed, so there is a God.

Ranmo

This is not gamer specific, but people saying "LOL" (or similar) out loud still makes me uncomfortable.

I can't stand when people would verbally say woot. There was a guy in High School I knew who would constantly say it. I've heard it a few times in Uni as well.

Anyway,

Some guy in Uni once wanted me to argue why I liked Charizard X over Charizard Y. I wasn't even talking to him. I told someone I knew that I liked the design regardless of stats. And this guy demanded more reasoning lol. I just told him I wasn't about to have this argument, nor did I want to. He was poking at it for a good 30 minutes.

Back in high school I was really into Yu Gi Oh, and was considered the best in my school (I even won the triangle trophy at my counties tournament center). Anyway, there was guy who was really mad at me because I was dating a girl he liked, so he challenged me to an "epic duel." He came to school wearing a cape, and had a boom box with dueling music. He even quoted the show as we played. I beat him, but felt kinda bad about it because he was so odd about it.

Edit: Also, not me. But my best friends cousin was in love with DragonBall Z. Every time he would go to the gym he would "power up" like Goku. He would yell really loud too... it was awkward.

These sound amazing. Did he go, "ITS TIME TO DDDDDDDDDDD DUEL"?

One guy I know who started highschool as a massive nerd (and came out of highschool as some sexual deviant, awesome dude) once yelled out MINECRAFT when the our mathteacher asked us what we did on the weekend. Room was silent so it was pretty awkward but the dude who yelled didnt really give a shit.

In Uni, there was a fedora neckbeard dude in my medieval history class who cited a anime character when the teacher asked us if we were to goto supper with a historical character who would it be.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Not exactly that. It was more the long diatribe he went onto calling the attention of everyone who was present about a really edgy character. Personally I have no issue if someone enjoys stuff like the sonic series but a long rant on how great a character like Shadow is in front of a lot of people trying to work?

This oversplaining is cringeworthy.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Disliking something for artistic reasons and being labeled a homophobe for it. That one is always fun to see.
Most recent case being Ellie from Last of Us 2. Apparently, if you don't like the new design, you're a homophobe for some reason. I remember when you could simply dislike something without having a label put on you. I find the whole thing sad and desperate.
No, that's not what happened. People got called homophobic for saying Ellie looked "manly" (she didn't, but it's not like it'd be inherently a bad thing) or saying she was a "lesbian stereotype".

If someone said "I don't like that design because her shirt is ugly" or "I don't like her hair style" no one would have called that homophobic. But if someone say something like "she looks like a dyke" (or coded language to basically say this) then that'd be homophobic.

Your disingenuousness is sad and desperate.

Top Bottom