• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a good card, and she is gorgeous. Definitely ordering some foils.

Unfortunately, she's no Flickerwisp. I'd love to have an all female Death and Taxes deck, but she's not quite there.
I mean, how would they make an as good wisp? 2/2 Flash "When X etbs, exile target permanent if it is tapped. Return to play at the next endstep?"

Daedardus

What Designs in SoI were so awful compared to Original Innistrad? None of the SoI mechanics were anywhere near as shit as Fateful Hour and for an evolution of Innistrad it made thematic sense.

The power level has been stupid on Threats recently, that's the issue as a whole.

The mechanics in SOI (set) are perfectly fine and there's nothing really wrong with the set itself, I just found it lacking in the common/uncommons. I think it's just hard to beat original Innistrad, that was one of the best sets in all of Magic. It's just Eldritch Moon that fucked up the whole block. Eldrazi transform was a neat idea, but I was really tired of Eldrazi coming after BFZ and OGW.

And I know, that's why I said that. But I still feel the overal power level is down compared to around the M10-Innistrad period. Or maybe it's just my perception then and know.

Uh, the power level is not low at all, but "power level" is a legitimately meaningless metric concerning Standard because Standard environments don't play against other Standard environments. It's that the balance of power has shifted towards undercosted fatties with spells stapled to them, rather than lots of powerful answers like Mana Leak, Doom Blade, etc.

We now have Modern to compare certain cards in though. Every set will have some playable cards in the format, that's just the nature of designing many cards for an already big pool. But I still feel like that time period had the largest imprint on Modern up until now. The most broken bullshit of broken bullshit also came from that time, like JTMS and SFM and caw blade was one of the most oppressive decks in a standard I can remember. I also view Magic mostly from a control player perspective, and I really feel they are cautious at making good control spells for Modern again.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Seems like a good card, and she is gorgeous. Definitely ordering some foils.

Unfortunately, she's no Flickerwisp. I'd love to have an all female Death and Taxes deck, but she's not quite there.
How do you know flickerwisp isn't a girl?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The mechanics in SOI (set) are perfectly fine and there's nothing really wrong with the set itself, I just found it lacking in the common/uncommons. I think it's just hard to beat original Innistrad, that was one of the best sets in all of Magic. It's just Eldritch Moon that fucked up the whole block. Eldrazi transform was a neat idea, but I was really tired of Eldrazi coming after BFZ and OGW.

And I know, that's why I said that. But I still feel the overal power level is down compared to around the M10-Innistrad period. Or maybe it's just my perception then and know.

We now have Modern to compare certain cards in though. Every set will have some playable cards in the format, that's just the nature of designing many cards for an already big pool. But I still feel like that time period had the largest imprint on Modern up until now. The most broken bullshit of broken bullshit also came from that time, like JTMS and SFM and caw blade was one of the most oppressive decks in a standard I can remember. I also view Magic mostly from a control player perspective, and I really feel they are cautious at making good control spells for Modern again.

Comparing Standard to Modern isn't really meaningful and the number of cards that translate from Standard to Modern doesn't really tell you anything about a set because the bar for what is good in Modern depends on a lot of wacky meta-game stuff.

Recent period overall felt like it left a strong impression on all formats. If we're including Khans even moreso but even Origins forward there've been quite some archetypes made and cards replaced.

I feel like I'm missing something. That Vizier looks kind of crappy. Isnt it just like a Fog that only blanks one creature and kills tokens? I guess it might occasionally counter a pump spell or a kill spell.

The whole Magic twitch thing is still weird, I don't really know any other commercial company using their twitch page for direct end user revenue.
I feel like I'm missing something. That Vizier looks kind of crappy. Isnt it just like a Fog that only blanks one creature and kills tokens? I guess it might occasionally counter a pump spell or a kill spell.
It's a highly versatile cards that kills tokens in a set full of them and particularly powerful tokens at that. It rebuys ETB triggers, blanks removal in combat and combat tricks. There's the end of combat step to use after damage has been dealt as well.

The absolute worst case is a 2/2 flash for 3 which is still quite decent. Card is amazing.

The whole Magic twitch thing is still weird, I don't really know any other commercial company using their twitch page for direct end user revenue.

It's a highly versatile cards that kills tokens in a set full of them and particularly powerful tokens at that. It rebuys ETB triggers, blanks removal in combat and combat tricks. There's the end of combat step to use after damage has been dealt as well.

The absolute worst case is a 2/2 flash for 3 which is still quite decent. Card is amazing.

Card with Renegade Rallier is hnng.. it's basically RestoRallier in Standard, especially since it can blink itself.

I guess I just don't see Gideon of the Trials being particularly broken. Every deck that exists can answer a Planeswalker. Even if you run 0 removal.

Yeah I don't think he's gonna be that bad.

This is such a weird complaint. How is what they do any different from what Blizzard does, besides not being as competent in general?

MaRo confirmed on the Twitch video that Nissa is only blue because they needed a blue planeswalker for Standard, then Creative came up with a justification, since Nissa is branching out with her magic in the story.

This is such a weird complaint. How is what they do any different from what Blizzard does, besides not being as competent in general?
Are you referring to Blizzcon? With Twitch Blizzard doesn't have subs for any of their games and they are doing Q&A and stuff like that on a repeated basis as well as their much more frequent esports content.

My comment was prompted by reading on twitter not just advertising this particular stream but mentioning answering questions from subs.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Of all modern technologies I feel Twitch is what Wizards grasped the most.

Blinding Mummy - 1W
Creature - Zombie
Whenever another Zombie enters the battlefield under your control, tap target artifact or creature.
2/2

Since there's reason to doubt this sort of thing, they knew about the interaction between Gideon and Glorious End.

kirblar

MaRo confirmed on the Twitch video that Nissa is only blue because they needed a blue planeswalker for Standard, then Creative came up with a justification, since Nissa is branching out with her magic in the story.
The creative justification for this one is good enough to excuse it because they finally and explicitly dealt w/ the racism thing.

(She also resembles a Nissa card, not a Kiora card, which is good.)

Daedardus

The creative justification for this one is good enough to excuse it because they finally and explicitly dealt w/ the racism thing.

(She also resembles a Nissa card, not a Kiora card, which is good.)

Never followed the story nor the characters, can someone explain what's with Nissa and her racism/xenophobia and how they dealt with it?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Never followed the story nor the characters, can someone explain what's with Nissa and her racism/xenophobia and how they dealt with it?

She was an Elf supremacist who went to Lorwyn to learn both black magic and the superiority of Elves. Her first card reflects this by having her summon her racist hordes and being full-on Elf tribal.

When Origins came out, they retconned this into Nissa being a socially withdrawn outcast that loves all nature and is an innocent pure elven waifu whose power is mostly having a connection to the land. The gameplay idea is that Elf tribal was a pretty bad way to keep her relevant and they wanted to have a mono-green Planeswalker and they had already taken Garruk Wildspeaker's character arc well out of that after Innistrad (Nissa is the gentle, nature loving side of green/Garruk is the bestial aggressive parts of green, e.g. hunting, although he's now both black and green).

The thing about Nissa's background was that it wasn't *really* explored all that much (like a couple of lines on flavor text and a single short story or something) and she had been completely absent from the story from Zendikar to M15, so there's nothing really wrong with the retcon in my opinion.

Ashodin

lLpPo3H.gif

yo I like time to reflect

Heh Maro really went all slaves built the pyramids thing that has most likely never happened.

In all fairness, he was talking about the popular image of Egypt (which is wrong, but still).

Embalmer's Tools looks kinda nuts if it stacks.

And Time to Reflect feels like it could be hilarious under the right conditions. B/W zombie decks get some really fun tools. ed-oh, thought it said "creatures," not target creature.

Bloodlust Inciter - R
Common
Creature - Human Warrior
Tap: Target creature gains haste until end of turn.
1/1

Labyrinth Guardian - 1U
Common
When CARDNAME becomes the target of a spell, sacrifice it.
Embalm 3U
2/3

NOTE: They mention that they probably won't have abilities destroy illusions anymore.

In all fairness, he was talking about the popular image of Egypt (which is wrong, but still).

what's weird about it is that their form of mummies would work well with the assumption that skilled workers built the pyramids just the same. Like the flavour text on embalmer's tools says they retain their skillsets.

Pretty good stream overall, even the questions from subs were quite good and handled very well.

what's weird about it is that their form of mummies would work well with the assumption that skilled workers built the pyramids just the same. Like the flavour text on embalmer's tools says they retain their skillsets.

Pretty good stream overall, even the questions from subs were quite good and handled very well. Got a chuckle when it was mentioned someone in R&D lived in egypt for a couple years as if that meant anything when constructing a set based on ancient egypt.

Yeah, but they're still zombies. No need for rest, food, pay, etc. though that would be interesting.

Actually kind of a shame they clearly didn't really stop and think about what effect having the dead wandering around would have on the society tbh. Having them retain personality and stuff in addition to skillset would've been cool.

I missed the stream. Should I bother watching it later or was it just an excuse to spoil some cards?

There were a couple of interesting design tidbits in there, but to my unpracticed eye it was mostly about new cards and laying out the new mechanics for people who haven't been following along.

Daedardus

She was an Elf supremacist who went to Lorwyn to learn both black magic and the superiority of Elves. Her first card reflects this by having her summon her racist hordes and being full-on Elf tribal.

When Origins came out, they retconned this into Nissa being a socially withdrawn outcast that loves all nature and is an innocent pure elven waifu whose power is mostly having a connection to the land. The gameplay idea is that Elf tribal was a pretty bad way to keep her relevant and they wanted to have a mono-green Planeswalker and they had already taken Garruk Wildspeaker's character arc well out of that after Innistrad (Nissa is the gentle, nature loving side of green/Garruk is the bestial aggressive parts of green, e.g. hunting, although he's now both black and green).

The thing about Nissa's background was that it wasn't *really* explored all that much (like a couple of lines on flavor text and a single short story or something) and she had been completely absent from the story from Zendikar to M15, so there's nothing really wrong with the retcon in my opinion.

Thanks for the roundup, really puts "Nissa's Chosen" in a different light. What did they do with the Amonkhet story however that makes the explanation for blue put her in a better light?

Are you referring to Blizzcon?

I'm talking about the like three Hearthstone preview streams I watched in the last month that are not meaningfully different from WotC's here.

They had access to PT Kaladesh data when they were finishing Amonkhet. Probably explains all the Artifact hate

This is good if it means they can be more responsive to future issues when they arise, but bad if it means they went "oh hey, we probably fixed the problem probably!" and don't ban anything again.

What? That's the extent of the explanation? "She's blue, therefore she's no longer racist"? If that's seriously it then that's dumb

It's more about her being more open-minded in general.* She's integrating new experiences and knowledge to become more worldly, which is fairly blue-ish.

*How is Open Mind not a blue card name?

Santiako

This is good if it means they can be more responsive to future issues when they arise, but bad if it means they went "oh hey, we probably fixed the problem probably!" and don't ban anything again.

Not banning anything and having 2 more months of copycat and Mardu would be catastrophic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom