• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 4K Patch for Xbox One X

The way I see it, the Xbox One X patch is a resolution bump, likely minimal effort to implement, whilst the PS4 Pro patch requires a new rendering technique, checkerboard rendering to get to 4K.

If the game already supports dynamic rendering on consoles, it may by default scale to 4k without any optimizations.

Having said all that, they should do a PS4 Pro Patch, its a game that deserves to be played in that quality.

Bingo. That's why I think X will get more support than Pro. If the power is there to handle 4K it requires way less effort to implement.

Madness

Paying for better patches sets a very dangerous precedent. Even more developers may be inclined to opt out and hope for a paying option.

This is unprecedented in that never before did we have consoles be updated within the same gen. Otherwise why would any developer worth their salt spend hundreds of hours and tons of money massively updating their game 1.5 or 2 years after launch. We are lucky that Witcher 3 may even get an Xbox One X patch when they flat out said they wouldn't do it for PS4 Pro and had moved onto their new Cyberpunk game. The entitlement some of you have. Without paying for the patches, we wouldn't even get them. A patch is to fix bugs, improve something usually around launch to 1 year etc.

Paying for better patches sets a very dangerous precedent. Even more developers may be inclined to opt out of supporting high-end consoles and hope for a paying option.

well I mean in this case it was a console that was released later in both instances. And in both, they are an upgrade to a console they already released an optimized. And they've already moved on to the next game.

Sony asks you if you can patch it, they are busy and want to focus on their next game as patching this won't make them any money at this point.

Microsoft likely put money forward, as they tend to do, so they DO put some resources into updating their version. Therefore they would make money, money that hey could always be useful as they are in full production of the next game.

Madness

this explains the sudden resurgence of this being played by my Microsoft friendlist folks. Jelly

I will be the first to admit I was a little disappointed there wasn't anything about a Sunset Overdrive 2. I know, I know. We're all waiting on the amazing Spider-Man Homecoming. But SO is an IP that would be amazing with 4K and HDR. Can't wait to see tomorrow though.

jobrro

Bingo. That's why I think X will get more support than Pro. If the power is there to handle 4K it requires way less effort to implement.

Plenty of games use a straightforward resolution bump on Pro though, like Uncharted 4 to 1440p. It's not like a Pro patch for Witcher 3 has to use checkboard rendering or hit 4K.

I would imagine it will be rare for the Pro or X to get an update while the other doesn't. The Pro clearly won't match the X 1:1 but there isn't a lot of reason to not support it if a developer is already doing some work on the X version.

So, any bets on X1-X/Pro support becoming the next big Moneyhat arena, joining the ranks of exclusive DLCs and marketing deals?

I mean, we're looking at a potential return to the era of the SNES vs the Genesis, when Sega and Nintendo were courting developers left and right to make the version for their console have the definitive version through any means necessary.

I guess I was right suspecting that biggest obstacle for Pro patch comes from marketing deals with Microsoft.
Still disappointing considering most of CDP fanbase is on pc and ps4.

ffvorax

Nice for XBOX users! I would love to see it improved also for PS4pro (even if I don't have it).

I guess if it will be 4K 30fps with the same graphic or downgraded to reach the 4k (or maybe even better!)

thelastword

Banned
If CDPR has categorically ruled out a PS4 Pro patch, which it has, then it's not going to pursue a Scorpio patch.

I will hold you to that, when the Scorpio remaster emerges....

Obviously if they do a scorpio remaster, they will have no choice but to do a PRO patch as well, but it's something I expect we will see when the Scorpio debuts....Dont forget, this game had a marketing deal with and for the XB1/MS...So a slighlty better looking scorpio version of Witcher 3 over the PRO is right up the alley of said deal/partnership..

Heh, Witcher 3 was better on XB1 for quite a while on debut for weaker hardware. I think this guys honor their marketing deals/partnerships quite a bit.....

lol it won't get a remastered version. it's not that powerful. you really think they're gonna go back to Witcher 3 now and remaster it? they said it wasn't worth their time/money to do a ps4 pro patch. scorpio is gonna be just an Xbox One Pro. so they won't bother upgrading it. there is no reason for them to do it. it's not gonna make them any money.

cyberpunk 2077 on the other hand will take advantage of the ps4 pro/scorpio no doubt.

JaseC said:
I sincerely doubt CDPR is contractually obligated to provide a Scorpio patch due to a marketing deal. I mean, disregarding the fact that marketing deals relate to, well, marketing, the deal pertaining to The Witcher 3 kicked off with a gameplay trailer at E3 2013 and has well and truly run its course, it's platform holders that approach publishers with the desire for exclusive coverage rather than the other way around, and most pertinently there are PS4 games that Sony marketed that continue to be without a Pro patch (Destiny perhaps being the most obvious example). Now, don't get me wrong as I'd have no issues whatsoever with PS4 Pro/Scorpio owners having the near-definitive version of the game, but considering CDPR's reasoning was that preparing a Pro (and by extension Scorpio) patch would take away resources from Cyberpunk 2077, which, in all likelihood, is a 2018 release at the absolute best, I don't see either happening -- at least not any time soon.

I told you guys, it's like clockwork....linked thread.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I told you guys, it's like clockwork....

Assuming for the moment there is indeed a Scorpio patch in the works (I wouldn't consider it confirmed until CDPR corroborates the listing), that doesn't mean it's the result of a contractual wrinkle in the marketing agreement between CDPR and MS. Again, that doesn't make any sense for the reasons listed in my post you've quoted and the fact that Scorpio didn't enter Microsoft's purview until 2014.

If CDPR is indeed working on Pro and/or Scorpio patches, then obviously I was wrong and, as alluded to in the aforementioned post, that's great news for Pro/Scorpio owners. I'm not above expressing a modicum of humility. ;)

Piggus

The way I see it, the Xbox One X patch is a resolution bump, likely minimal effort to implement, whilst the PS4 Pro patch requires a new rendering technique, checkerboard rendering to get to 4K.

If the game already supports dynamic rendering on consoles, it may by default scale to 4k without any optimizations.

Having said all that, they should do a PS4 Pro Patch, its a game that deserves to be played in that quality.

I'm sorry but you're overthinking it. Even if the PS4 Pro version couldn't hit native 4K, that doesn't mean they couldn't easily tell the game to run at something like 1440p and/or improve some of the effects like shadow cascade distance, foliage, etc. Those are things that would require almost zero effort on the part of CDPR.

KageMaru

So, any bets on X1-X/Pro support becoming the next big Moneyhat arena, joining the ranks of exclusive DLCs and marketing deals?

I mean, we're looking at a potential return to the era of the SNES vs the Genesis, when Sega and Nintendo were courting developers left and right to make the version for their console have the definitive version through any means necessary.

The problem I see with paying for a patch is it doesn't make sense. If resources like time and manpower is the issue like we see with CDPR, money isn't going to really solve that. It's not like MS or Sony would shell out enough money to make it worth it for a studio to disrupt their development schedule to that extent. These studios are also not going to take that money and use it to hire additional resources since that's a lot of work for a patch. The most likely reason why we would see an exclusive patch is because Sony or MS send out engineers to assist a studio with the patch. They have both sent out support for titles in the past, so they may do it again if they feel it's worth it.

Another, less likely, possibility is that it's "easy" to take enhancements from the PC and move them over to the X. I don't see this happening though if the game wasn't already coded within MS' UWP framework like we see with RE7.

I don't see this becoming a trend for older titles though so it's hardly a big deal.

thelastword

Banned

They could have done a simple geometry rendering patch for PRO ages ago if they were timestrapped. Hell, even a resolution bump like you're suggesting for XB1X and an AF bump would take no time at all on pro months ago...And no, a rez bump does not take an age on the PS4 PRO...Seriously, it does not...

Pretty fucking diskish of them after having no interest in supporting the ps4 pro.

Makes me lose respect because I'm sure money made it happen.
I doubt there was any money involved, people like to take things unconfirmed and run with it..Just like they did with Scorpio at $399.00 in that thread two days ago and started stating it as fact....

Paying for better patches sets a very dangerous precedent. Even more developers may be inclined to opt out of supporting high-end consoles and hope for a paying option.
Yes it does set a bad precedent, but we have no confirmation of that.....Improving a game's resolution and sliding it's quality up a tad should never incur a price....Devs patch their game months and years later for those who already purchased....You want persons playing the best version of your game or new players to have the best experience, it's that simple....I never believed CDPR and the excuses they gave...People went out of their way defending them and saying they were so caught up in Cyberpunk and the codebase for witcher was closed..When will they learn...

What's like clockwork?

Edit: That The Witcher 3 may have a Scorpio patch in the works doesn't mean it's the result of a contractual wrinkle in the marketing agreement between CDPR and MS. Again, that doesn't make any sense for the reasons I've listed in the post you quoted. Also, you're getting ahead of yourself if you're assuming the Pro will be left out in the cold.
That I said that there would be a Witcher 3 patch on Scorpio/XB1X....I also mentioned it in many other threads tbh....You said, it would never happen, I did say I'd hold you to that.....Cheers...

It's not about gloating though, I hope the patch is a good one finally on consoles and that the pro finally gets it's patch as well...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That I said that there would be a Witcher 3 patch on Scorpio/XB1X....I also mentioned it in many other threads tbh....You said, it would never happen, I did say I'd hold you to that.....Cheers...

Ah, I see. People tend to use "like clockwork" when referring to an expected outcome or occurence with historical precedence, so I thought you may be suggesting you're generally if not always correct, haha. You quoted me before my edit, so allow me to add this:

If CDPR is indeed working on Pro and/or Scorpio patches, then obviously I was wrong and, as alluded to in the aforementioned post, that's great news for Pro/Scorpio owners. I'm not above expressing a modicum of humility. ;)

Carn82

awesome! Really want to platinum The Witcher 3, and recently got a Pro. Finished Blood & Wine a few weeks ago, so have no problems putting that game aside for a few months before I dive back in. GOTG for me so far.

f@luS

More than a member.
Asked a CDPR dev, he confirmed me as well a PS4 pro patch in work.
Good. Still waiting to play this game
How are performance in boost mode ? I played 2h on normal PS4 and I hate frame dips.
Hope for a steady 30fps more than higher rez here

pitchfork

Ashamed to say it, but despite having d/loaded it from the start, I've still yet to play the 'Blood & Wine' DLC

Will look forward to going back in with a nice resolution bump!

Carn82

Good. Still waiting to play this game
How are performance in boost mode ? I played 2h on normal PS4 and I hate frame dips.
Hope for a steady 30fps more than higher rez here

It's an almost locked 30fps. Game still dips here and there but less than with regular PS4.

Carn82

Ashamed to say it, but despite having d/loaded it from the start, I've still yet to play the 'Blood & Wine' DLC

Will look forward to going back in with a nice resolution bump!

B&W is great! It also runs on an updated version of the engine, so it already plays smoother and looks better than the rest of the game :)

killatopak

Currently playing Witcher 3 on my pro. This info made me want to buy a XOX but I don't want to wait months just to play 4K. I hope they patch it for the pro as well. A 2nd playthrough for 4K would be my goal.

Tovarisc

Asked a CDPR dev, he confirmed me as well a PS4 pro patch in work.

Backed up by CDPR's community lead.

b2bLPN3.png

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/874137087938789376

00ich

On Xb1x, requires very little effort.

Same can't be said for Pro.

You don't really need to optimize a lot to get 4K or super sampling in most cases.

Is this true for legacy engines that were optimized for eSRAM?
Some kind of software wrapper that abstracts the eSRAM to the regular RAM pool would be imaginable, but is unconfirmed (?).

Top Bottom