• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto Transit Commission named best transit system in North America

Kraftwerk

TTC named best public transit agency in North America

American Public Transportation Association bestows its annual award to TTC for first time since 1986.

In a development that will raise eyebrows among the thousands of Torontonians who like to grumble about their daily commutes, the TTC has been named outstanding public transit system of the year by the American Public Transportation Association.

TTC CEO Andy Byford announced the award at a press conference at Union Station Monday morning, where he said the agency was “back where we belong as number one in North America.”

The award is given out each year by APTA, a Washington, D.C.-based industry organization. The TTC last won it in 1986.

Article

Sunster

we need a massive "modernization plan" in most american cities with railroads. we almost had one in my city. could have been great... but republican voters gonna republican.

JordanN

Banned
I can believe it.

Downtown Toronto has the best layout out of any city.

You only need one bus or subway to travel to a school, to a shopping mall, to a museum or to a train station in a single trip.

Nobility

Banned
Even with the 1 hour delay I had last Thursday.

I'm more concerned for international transportation systems then...

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
This is some next level horseshit, and its coming from someone who uses TTC for last 6 years. Infact I am just typing this from TTC.

TTC is fucking disgraced

Brandson

I'm sorry to hear all other subway systems in North America have been shuttered.

Is this an "award" that solicits "winners" to pay to be included?

jimmypython

I can name at least 4 places in the States and 1 place in Canada that have better service than TTC.

TTC is downright sh*t imo

jadjei

Eh, TTC isn't that great. Are other transit systems that bad? Maybe I'm over exaggerating about how bad TTC is :/

Man WTF? What exactly are their metrics?

Every experience I've had with TTC pissed me off so much. Watching a streetcar get totally stuck for 20 mins by a minor car crash was something else. I mean yeah you can make them longer but a bus can go around shit like that.

Quick

Banned
loooolwaitwhat

vI7xZxX.jpg

jstripes

Banned
On one hand, what a fucking joke.

On the other hand, public transit in North America is terrible, so I believe it.

Prevent city council from meddling with the TTC, and things would be 100% better.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
What the fucking fuck is this fucking bullshit?

There are delays and signal problems if someone even imagines seeing a cloud in the sky.

Kraftwerk

Oh, so just as bad as New York. Actually, 30%? That sounds worse than New York.

its brutal because its usually sections that connect different lines or its in the middle of a line. so you get on the subway, have to abruptly get off and then fight with hundreds of people for a spot on the shuttle replacement bus and then get squished in there while it crawls through traffic.

Galang

Banned
I don't think it's the best, but I think a lot of people saying Toronto is undeserving don't understand how bad transportation is in general aside from a few major cities. Toronto is leagues above the transportation in Brampton and Mississauga even though they're so close. Go any further outside that and the transportation may as well not even exist. The fact that many people can live comfortably in Toronto without transportation is pretty neat if anything and in comparison to where I've lived before, I enjoy it. Even when the timing is off the transportation is also still more frequent and reliable than most places I've lived tbh

Brandson

Most people from Montreal I've actually heard praising their own system so I really can't fathom us winning at all.

I've visited Montreal numerous times over the years, always relying on public transit. My only real complaint is the oppressive wheel noise in the subway. Maintaining a conversation is almost impossible. Everything else is pretty great. Subway coverage seems quite good.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
The TTC seems pretty bad when you're using it, but I can see how compared to other cities of its size, it's probably a good system.

its brutal because its usually sections that connect different lines or its in the middle of a line. so you get on the subway, have to abruptly get off and then fight with hundreds of people for a spot on the shuttle replacement bus and then get squished in there while it crawls through traffic.

We get the same thing in NYC. Granted it's not every weekend, but it does happen here.

Top Bottom