• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto Transit Commission named best transit system in North America

rashbeep

Banned
loooolwaitwhat

vI7xZxX.jpg

this pic was basically my reaction

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The Toronto one? That is what it is, yeah. Welcome to our glorious city.

then it has to be a clean, upkept ride right? because la has a larger map than that. but the homeless literally use the elevators as bathrooms down here

Darksol

Toronto transit on its best day is worse than Tokyo transit on its worst day.

Toronto transit is garbage-tier, but I do agree it's better than most places in Canada.

Sch1sm

then it has to be a clean, upkept ride right? because la has a larger map than that. but the homeless literally use the elevators as bathrooms down here

There's always dudes picking up after people on the trains and stuff, yeah. I'd say our subway is relatively clean, I've never had any complaints about cleanliness. Even the washrooms are well kept, in my experience.

They're working on adding more to it. There's an extension to the top left that'll add on some more stations. Then there's another but that's years coming.

Can't you guys just institute a sales tax to pay for your transit? Los Angeles has done 2 half-cent sales taxes to raise money for rail projects, and it seems to be working out. Of course, we cannot build underground everywhere, but by 2024, we should have made great improvements, with the Regional Connector connecting the Long Beacb to Azusa ( to eventually Claremont and hopefully one day to the Ontario Airport since the funding has been allocated) and Santa Monica to East Los Angeles, Crenshaw/LAX Line, and the first part of the Purple Line extension done.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Can't you guys just institute a sales tax to pay for your transit? Los Angeles has done 2 half-cent sales taxes to raise money for rail projects, and it seems to be working out. Of course, we cannot build underground everywhere, but by 2024, we should have made great improvements, with the Regional Connector connecting the Long Beacb to Azusa ( to eventually Claremont and hopefully one day to the Ontario Airport since the funding has been allocated) and Santa Monica to East Los Angeles, Crenshaw/LAX Line, and the first part of the Purple Line extension done.
The thing is, a large percentage of the city got brainwashed into thinking that any tax increase is the work of the devil. Our current mayor tried to bypass this by tolling a highway that connects the burbs to downtown, but the province shot down that idea.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
The thing is, a large percentage of the city got brainwashed into thinking that any tax increase is the work of the devil. Our current mayor tried to bypass this by tolling a highway that connects the burbs to downtown, but the province shot down that idea.

Which highway?

giphy.gif

How the fuck did Montreal not get in as best transit? I've vacationed there a while ago and always enjoyed using it. Got to many places, and a decent price compared to how much of a rip-off TTC is.

Not enough mention of the streetcar (tram) situation in this pile on. The subway is bad and under-developed and crumbling enough, but then you have the Queen streetcar (currently buses on that line due to track and all sorts of other major repair), and King streetcar. They rumble down two of the busiest city streets in the country, get backed up one after the other, and are absolutely packed like sardine cans for most of the day for miles on end.

I kid you not, multiple times I have walked to my destination faster than the streetcar next to me.

Harusame

How did the TTC beat out Montreal's STM or even Vancouver's Translink?

Even with the acknowledgment of the TTC's 5-year plan, both STM's & Translink's future plans and expansions are pretty comprehensive.

13randO

How the fuck did Montreal not get in as best transit? I've vacationed there a while ago and always enjoyed using it. Got to many places, and a decent price compared to how much of a rip-off TTC is.

It's definitely not the THE reason, but Montreal Transit has some uncomfortable ass seats. Might as well sit on a plastic spike.

As a native Montrealer who also used to take a bus in Aurora to Finch station then Subway downtown. I am baffled, Montreal's setup blows TTCs out of the water. It's not even close, like at all.

Brinbe

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

TTC isn't as bad as some Torontoians like to think, but that the TTC won says a lot about how shitty public transpo is across NA.

And it's fucking stupid to compare a place like Shanghai or these German cities to the TTC. Those systems are probably highly subsidized while Toronto gets jackshit comparatively. http://globalnews.ca/news/1670796/how-does-the-ttcs-funding-compare-to-other-transit-agencies/

TORONTO – What makes the wheels on TTC transit roll? For the most part, it's the money riders put into the fare box.

”About two-thirds of the TTC's Operating Budget is covered by fares paid by the riders," Danny Nicholson, TTC spokesperson said in an email.

In general, TTC riders have seen a $0.05 increase to the price of a single token (from $2.65 to $2.70) over the last year.

According to the TTC's 2014 budget highlights, the subsidy the TTC receives remains the lowest in North America at just $0.78 per ride.

The subsidy other municipalities get:

Montreal – $1.16
Vancouver – $1.62
Chicago – $1.68
New York City – $1.03
Mississauga – $2.21
York Region – $4.49

Jakten

Toronto transit on its best day is worse than Tokyo transit on its worst day.

Toronto transit is garbage-tier, but I do agree it's better than most places in Canada.

What. The quality of Toyko Transit is godly though. Everything is clean and arrives on time and the people are generally orderly. You can get anywhere and it's cheap. It's like the exact opposite of Toronto.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Wait, what's wrong with the LA metro?

The blue line specifically hasn't been as timely as it used to be in the past year. Constant delays on stops between willow and grand during the morning rush means that I have to leave a bit earlier than I normally would have to to reach my destination on time. And like I said the stops with elevators the homeless use as restrooms, so often they either end up smelling like urine, or a urine puck.

But I'm sure the red line and new silver line run like a charm

spelen

Let's assume it's the best in NA. add EU to the mix and it becomes one of the worst no question about it. The only thing the TTC bests EU in are the much more affordable prices

Brinbe

Again, I hate that I'm actually defending this shitty service with its many shitty employees, but considering how big of an area it has to cover and how extensive the system is, it does mostly get the job done. It's easy to plop down a map of a city and subways and make it look like hot shit, but that's not telling the whole story. Most of the system is buses and that's not quite shown on subway maps. This is the area Toronto has to cover (and this map is from 96, so it's fucking outdated) but it shows just how big Toronto really is and how extensive the system is.

And again, maybe its because I've actually experienced typical shitty American public transpo, where it's an afterthought and you NEED a car to really get anywhere, but the people complaining about the system are being slightly dramatic and overwrought.

Apathy

Well, you're wrong.

8 is exactly one hour better than 9.

It's made a difference for me. It's not perfect, but it absolutely IS better.
You aren't the only person in the city that needs it at earlier hours. If they aren't going to hand it run over nights the very least it could be is start at the same time weekday service starts (that's 6)

I know the bar is low for NA, and when I first started uni I could maybe see the TTC as being at the top but as of the last few years it's been pretty bad. The only upside is that we have fairly decent regular service for buses.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
As a native Montrealer who also used to take a bus in Aurora to Finch station then Subway downtown. I am baffled, Montreal's setup blows TTCs out of the water. It's not even close, like at all.
I couldn't imagine living outside the city and not having a car to drive to the nearest GO station if I wanted to go downtown regularly.

Darksol

What. The quality of Toyko Transit is godly though. Everything is clean and arrives on time and the people are generally orderly. You can get anywhere and it's cheap. It's like the exact opposite of Toronto.

?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

_Ryo_

Theres usually no public transit system in rural areas, in US or at least in VA. No busses or public trains or local cab services or subways. Does Canada/Toronto have these in rural parts?

RomeoDog

Banned
I hated transit so much in Toronto I always biked. Also there were so many times in my life when I couldn't afford to even ride and would sneak in or do a transfer trick.

I would so often see 3 to 5 buses or street cars right after another you could always tell they didn't have their shit in order.

Winning the best in north america is really questionable. Just like when toronto won best city to live in.. what bull.

Top Bottom