• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto Transit Commission named best transit system in North America

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I hated transit so much in Toronto I always biked. Also there were so many times in my life when I couldn't afford to even ride and would sneak in or do a transfer trick.

I would so often see 3 to 5 buses or street cars right after another you could always tell they didn't have their shit in order.

Winning the best in north america is really questionable. Just like when toronto won best city to live in.. what bull.
The outer borough buses in NYC are objectively worse.

I have a family memeber who works in the TTC. While people tend to complain about the service (and rightfully so most of the time) it should be noted that TTC runs almost entirely on fares and takes very little subsidies from the government. So on an economic level TTC is probably among the best.

Now if only the subway could be expanded :/

RomeoDog

Banned
I have a family memeber who works in the TTC. While people tend to complain about the service (and rightfully so most of the time) it should be noted that TTC runs almost entirely on fares and takes very little subsidies from the government. So on an economic level TTC is probably among the best.

Economic for who? TTC fares are incredibly expensive and by not taking subsidies from the government they are only setting things up to be more expensive as they grow.

Flux

This cat be right. TTC is woefully adequate for the city. I basically walk or uber anywhere I need to go in Toronto. By choice and necessity.

Crayons

Banned
And how did they decide this?

MTA might be a shitshow, but you can get anywhere in the City at any time of day for $2.50. Toronto's subway is hilariously shit by comparison.

$2.75. You should know that, you're a New Yorker!

And YES, you can get anywhere in the city any time of day. Just expect delays every single time

jstripes

Banned

How about we not fucking focus on expanding the subway, and instead focus on light rail in lower density areas? Like the original Transit City plan?

"Subways, subways, subways folks!" fucked our city beyond belief.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
If TTC is the best, I dont even want to imagine what the rest of you are dealing with.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
How about we not fucking focus on expanding the subway, and instead focus on light rail in lower density areas? Like the original Transit City plan?

"Subways, subways, subways folks!" fucked our city beyond belief.
But why have a 7-stop lrt line when you can instead have a one-stop subway extension for the low price of $3.35 billion!

If TTC is the best, I dont even want to imagine what the rest of you are dealing with.

I don't get this at all. You do realize you're ruling out the possibility that the criteria used to determine which system is the best is flawed. Just because someone says TTC is the best, doesn't mean it's objectively the best (which is why you always criticize how these things are determined, to see if that opinion measures up). Especially when you consider just how many flaws it has, in relation to other transit systems which seem to do things much better than the TTC.

Taking a quick look at how it was determined, it seems like people literally just cared about "how accessible is transit to certain neighbourhoods" especially with the transit plan they put into place, and ignored everything else. Not to say that accessibility isn't important, but lol @ it being the only thing. No wonder it's a joke, especially when you're talking about a woefully inadequate system beating out the entire continent, which is absolute bullshit.

Fun story: One night I was walking to my dorm from an exam, side-walk was snowed in so I stuck to the bike path on the road - a completely empty sideroad anyways with zero active traffic. Up comes a lone TTC bus making a stop next to me in the middle of the road just for the driver to say to me, "y'know you're a moron, yeah?"

the fuck

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
nRT22_d.jpg

This was my first thought. Was amazed when I visited Toronto and found out their subway was so limited.

It's not by their choice. :lol

And it also isn't just a conservative position, either. There are plenty of liberals who will baulk at expanded public transit since it'll raise their taxes, and think that trains are a thing of the past. Meanwhile, Nigeria is smart enough to realize their importance, especially in dense areas, and are about to open up their first metro system in Lagos.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
From a tourism perspective it doesn't need to be much more than that.

This is something that I've wondered from time to time.

Assuming a hypothetical city that has a large tourism industry and no public transport - is it better to implement a subway system that caters to the tourist commute first or the residents' work commute first? Realistically though, there are so many variables, that I guess it would be hard to come to any kind of general rule regarding this.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
From a tourism perspective it doesn't need to be much more than that.
The biggest issue for tourists is how long it takes to get from downtown to the Zoo. Then again, it's in the very NE part of the city and the only thing they could really do to speed it up would be to make the bus be from STC instead of Kennedy. Maybe they'll do that when they build that stupid subway stop. A guy I worked with took out of town family members to the Zoo on the TTC from Union Station and he said it was like an hour and 20 minutes to get there and the Kennedy bus was half that time.

$2.75. You should know that, you're a New Yorker!

And YES, you can get anywhere in the city any time of day. Just expect delays every single time

That's assuming you can get to the city from Long Island or even New Jersey. So pumped for the track work starting at Penn Station in a few weeks and all the cut/combined trains. Hell when supposedly working under normal circumstances there are problems, now with active construction...

I'm hoping my company allows us to go to a different office or WFH more.

The biggest issue for tourists is how long it takes to get from downtown to the Zoo. Then again, it's in the very NE part of the city and the only thing they could really do to speed it up would be to make the bus be from STC instead of Kennedy. Maybe they'll do that when they build that stupid subway stop. A guy I worked with took out of town family members to the Zoo on the TTC from Union Station and he said it was like an hour and 20 minutes to get there and the Kennedy bus was half that time.

The problem too is splitting up Sheppard East into two buses. I don't understand why the bus is at Don Mills (if you wanted to go there, there's a subway that would take you there in 10mins) when it makes more sense to just have one bus route from Sheppard-Yonge to the Zoo.

You aren't the only person in the city that needs it at earlier hours. If they aren't going to hand it run over nights the very least it could be is start at the same time weekday service starts (that's 6)

Please tell me where I stated that I was the only one who needed earlier hours?

What I *can* point you to is your post where you state there is NO difference between a 9am start, and an 8am start, which is preposterous.

But then again, it's very typical to find a piece of useful information given to you that you didn't have and could possibly use, and say anything but "thank you".

Please just continue to believe that the subway starts at 9am on Sunday.

Top Bottom