• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston Approves Permit for White Supremacist Rally on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

As MLK said:

martin-luther-king-jr-546731.jpg

I said goddamn

NoRéN

People coming out the woodwork to defend nazis who murdered and maimed. no wonder very little progress gets made
The day after the election all these "democrats" and "liberals" on their high horse coming in here telling people to just deal with it after the loss.

Makes a lot of sense now. All these people telling others to get over it, stay quiet, do the opposite of resist.

Look at things now, this forum included. Add "freedom of speech" to the list of things that have a completely different meaning along with "USA!" Chants.

dohdough

You fucks have to stop calling my city racist after we show you how we respond to these white supremecists

I was born and raised in Boston. It's a racist city and "moderates" are gentrifying it. Sure, the counter protestors will outnumber those racist shitbags by at least 10:1, but I'm under no illusion that the city doesn't treat POC as second class citizens. Ask any long time resident that lives in Roxbury and Dorchester.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
My point is, many on here are trying to claim that everybody in Charlotteville protesting were Nazi's. They weren't. Many are also trying to say everybody there and everybody going to Boston wants to incite violence. They don't.
"We're not nazis, we're just protesting alongside these nazis, and protesting the removal of this monument dedicated to racism."

Will the protest in Boston lead to violence? Unless the Boston police department are heros and somehow find a way to stop it, yes. It will. I'm terrified it will.
Then stop arguing about the rights of nazis.

But we should be having a discussion about our Constitution, but apparently people read Nazi and they no longer want to think rationally.
Because nazis did this:
hqdefault.jpg

They want to do that again.
I've said my peace. I hope my point is clear. The right to peacefully protest is integral to our country. Without it I don't know how the Civil Rights movement would have happened. And we can't just assume that everybody that wants to protest in Boston literally has the end goal of starting a race war.
It's not a peaceful protest since they're protesting specifically for violence.

I know some people don't like to hear it, but Nazi's and KKK members are people. They have protested in the streets of Washington and New York. They have the right to protest. We can't take that away because they are a hateful, horrible group of people. Our country is built on laws not emotion.
We have a right to take that away specifically because of what they're protesting FOR.

I'm sure other posters won't see the simple logic, and I don't want to derail the thread so this will be the last comment I make.

If it wasn't clear, fuck Nazi's. Fuck White Supremacists. Fuck people with hate in their heart for people that are simply different from them.
This should've been the only thing you said instead of literally #notallnazis.

Thing is, white supremacist marches have been ruled legal.
Let me stop you right there. I don't give a shit that these are legal. Being an open nazi or a nazi sympathizer is legal. And it just got people injured and killed. So obviously it's a huge issue that it's legal AND it's an issue that we have people who care more about the law then the people white supremacists are actively hurting.

riotous

Banned
It's not nativity to say "Nazis are cool people"

It possibly is; but you are right, I shouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt. The whole world should watch that Vice video; if they still want to claim there were some non-nazis there they then lost all benefit of the doubt for sure.

The poster he was responding two used it once and not in a condescending manner.

Lotus bookended his with the two clearly condescending ones.

Don't insult my intelligence please.

I'm not saying Lotus wasn't being condescending; but I thought he was responding to Mammoth Jones there, who definitely used fam condescendingly.

But it was someone else who didn't; I apologize, no insult intended.

My point is, many on here are trying to claim that everybody in Charlotteville protesting were Nazi's. They weren't. Many are also trying to say everybody there and everybody going to Boston wants to incite violence. They don't.

Will the protest in Boston lead to violence? Unless the Boston police department are heros and somehow find a way to stop it, yes. It will. I'm terrified it will.

But we should be having a discussion about our Constitution, but apparently people read Nazi and they no longer want to think rationally.

I've said my peace. I hope my point is clear. The right to peacefully protest is integral to our country. Without it I don't know how the Civil Rights movement would have happened. And we can't just assume that everybody that wants to protest in Boston literally has the end goal of starting a race war.

I know some people don't like to hear it, but Nazi's and KKK members are people. They have protested in the streets of Washington and New York. They have the right to protest. We can't take that away because they are a hateful, horrible group of people. Our country is built on laws not emotion.

I'm sure other posters won't see the simple logic, and I don't want to derail the thread so this will be the last comment I make.

If it wasn't clear, fuck Nazi's. Fuck White Supremacists. Fuck people with hate in their heart for people that are simply different from them.

I'm not even touching this. Don't even know where to begin. All I'll say is your final statement is at odds with the rest of the post.

Somnid

You're the one claiming you stop fascism by letting them march... I say it's demonstrably the opposite

Then demonstrate it. Because letting someone like say the President, or Congress, or local mayors decide this is ripe for corruption. Refusing permits and then citing people for violations was used heavily to round up Black protesters during the Civil Rights movement.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Ending a sentence with "BTW I hate Nazis too you know" is not something you should have to say.

here's a long post full of excuses and about why I support their actions but don't forget they're like not good dudes. I mean I just bloody hate them so much when they say all that stuff about being a nazi.

Not

Banned
They had their chance - fair is fair - and they literally killed a person.

They're a terrorist organization now. Anyone who thinks otherwise, or cares more about going after "antifa" or the "alt-left" is confusing white supremacy for the desirable status quo.

It doesn't have to be. Change the things about our society that don't work. Defend the spirit of our laws, not the letter.

TyrantII

ifnotnow-crowd.jpg

That was a rather huge crowd that showed up late on a summer Tuesday, a few hour after rush hour, just to show support and unity at the smashed Jewish memorial.

The only ones that have to worry Saturday will be the shitheads Nazi scum.

commedieu

Banned
here's a long post about why I support their actions but don't forget they're like not good dudes. I mean I just bloody hate them so much when they say all that stuff about being nazi.

So transparent.

As if the response would be "oh wait. He says he totally hates nazis. Let's move on!"

East Lake

As MLK said:

martin-luther-king-jr-546731.jpg
As he also said.

Now about injunctions: We have an injunction and we’re going into court tomorrow morning to fight this illegal, unconstitutional injunction. All we say to America is, “Be true to what you said on paper.”

If I lived in China or even Russia, or any totalitarian country, maybe I could understand some of these illegal injunctions. Maybe I could understand the denial of certain basic First Amendment privileges, because they hadn’t committed themselves to that over there.

But somewhere I read of the freedom of assembly. Somewhere I read of the freedom of speech. Somewhere I read of the freedom of press. Somewhere I read that the greatness of America is the right to protest for right.

And so just as I say, we aren’t going to let dogs or water hoses turn us around, we aren’t going to let any injunction turn us around. We are going on.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-moshman/martin-luther-king-on-the_b_8911848.html

joe2187

Banned
Is there a nazi version of MLK that we don't know about?

They are going to get a whites only world with peace?

Reminds me of the shit that Jontron was trying to say. Lets have the whites have this part, and the blacks could have this part...ya kno...completely equal....and like nothing that's ever been done before.

I think the ideal outcome here is that the overwhelming majority of the crowds are against nazis and against violence and pro equality. Just suffocate the embers of the alt right movement whenever and wherever they arise. Let them have their rally and let it be drowned by a counter rally. It's better than letting them become martyrs (in their own minds).

Zaphrynn

Because every single person there is a nazi? Because every single person there specifically want to incitie violence and get into a race war?

I vehemently disagree with every single person who was protesting (re:not including the brave counter protesters) in Charlottesville, but not all of them were Nazi's. Many of them were stupidly protesting the taking down of a monument. Now, what they were protesting is racist, full stop, but they weren't literally there hoping a huge fight would break out.

Besides, a person self identifying as a Nazi, Neo-Nazi, Nazi sympathizer, doesn't automatically mean their goal as an individual is to incite violence. This is why we can't just generalize these protest. We can all agree these people are hateful, horrible people, but we can't assume some idiot 20 something year old ignorantly protesting some vague idea of keeping America white is the same as somebody who is there trying to start a riot.

People are individuals. We have to treat them as such.

*Breathes in slowly and deeply*

*Breathes out*

You are wrong. You really are. These posts, if sincere, always break my heart. Because it always gives power to the neo Nazis or white supremacists or whatever you choose to call them. They don't play by the rules. The laws are on their side. It helps them.

Nazis and white supremacists, their goal is the subjugation and/or eradication of anyone that doesn't share their white skin. How is this not a call to action, because they can only achieve these goals through murder? Nobody is marching alongside these people without tacit agreement. Nobody.

It is pure ignorance to suggest otherwise. Pure ignorance. Listen to various minorities of various backgrounds. Look into history properly. Shut up and listen. Because you are not listening right now.

The people who weren't literal Nazis thought it was okay to hang out with Nazis and the KKK. That makes them just as bad.

Yes. Totally agree. But I'm not arguing those people aren't horrible. I'm saying the Constitution gives every citizen a right to protest peacefully, and having a hateful message isn't the same thing as wanting to incite a race war.

The people who want to incite violence shouldn't be allowed to protest their hateful message. But as difficult as it is to accept, if somebody wants to peacefully protest racism, awful ideals it is their lawful right. Taking that right away doesn't solve the problem of racism, it would just rile up even more hate filled people to speak out and it would weaken the entirety of our Constitution. If we stay stripping away rights from people we don't like - and any decent person should adamantly abhor Nazi's and White Supremacists - where does it stop?

NoRéN;246311516 said:
The day after the election all these "democrats" and "liberals" on their high horse coming in here telling people to just deal with it after the loss.

Makes a lot of sense now. All these people telling others to get over it, stay quiet, do the opposite of resist.

Look at things now, this forum included. Add "freedom of speech" to the list of things that have a completely different meaning along with "USA!" Chants.

It's transparent.

Us minorities always have to 'wait' for whatever reason.

And if or when the shit hits the fan, like violence in the streets, these same people would be the first to ask 'why did this happen'.

East Lake

Also, I bet he'd be fine with letting White Supremacists run wild and free if he just really understood the First Amendment.

Yup, no problems there

Black people have always had their First Amendment rights honored, right?

Right?

Hey where'd you go?
I'm right here. I'm sure if he wanted the hostile federal/state/local governments he fought against to implement hate speech laws there'd be a quote somewhere right? Maybe you can find it.

Nazis deserve NO sympathy, nor the right to spew their hateful rhetoric. They, the Alt-Right and other White Supremacist groups are EVERYTHING wrong with humanity, and the belief of "white plight" and how there are "others out to get the whites in America" is the TRUE reason why our country will NEVER be the great, shining example of togetherness and prosperity that it COULD be. There is freedom of speech, and freedom to be air grievances, but there's a difference between ranting and using your speech to spew hatred, the eradication of non-whites and other disgusting spiel. Until we acknowledge how destructive racism is within our country and make efforts to combat it through the laws of our nation, we will NEVER "really" be free, because hatred and fear will loom over us.

joe2187

Banned
Yes. Totally agree. But I'm not arguing those people aren't horrible. I'm saying the Constitution gives every citizen a right to protest peacefully, and having a hateful message isn't the same thing as wanting to incite a race war.

The people who want to incite violence shouldn't be allowed to protest their hateful message. But as difficult as it is to accept, if somebody wants to peacefully protest racism, awful ideals it is their lawful right. Taking that right away doesn't solve the problem of racism, it would just rile up even more hate filled people to speak out and it would weaken the entirety of our Constitution. If we stay stripping away rights from people we don't like - and any decent person should adamantly abhor Nazi's and White Supremacists - where does it stop?

So taking a stand against Nazis is a slippery slope into.....being nazis agaisnt Nazis?

The real Nazis, are the Nazis who are Nazis against the Nazis.

Going to call my childhood friend and make sure she stays safe this weekend. I know for a fact she's going to want to counter protest so I'm going to ask her to not.

Oh come the fuck on.

I get this is an emotional conversation, but calling those that are arguing for free speech Nazi sympathizers is just fucking ridiculous.

Didn't you say there's nothing wrong with "simply being a nazi" in the Charlottesville thread

Think it's pretty clear where you stand

Slayven

I'm right here. I'm sure if he wanted the hostile federal/state/local governments he fought against to implement hate speech laws there'd be a quote somewhere right? Maybe you can find it.

“Why is equality so assiduously avoided? Why does white America delude itself, and how does it rationalize the evil it retains?

The majority of white Americans consider themselves sincerely committed to justice for the Negro. They believe that American society is essentially hospitable to fair play and to steady growth toward a middle-class Utopia embodying racial harmony. But unfortunately this is a fantasy of self-deception and comfortable vanity.”

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/16/mar...cal-9-mlk-quotes-the-media-wont-cite_partner/

The best way for this in Boston is for the counter protesters to show up in tenfold and completely drown out the white supremacist.

Then demonstrate it. Because letting someone like say the President, or Congress, or local mayors decide this is ripe for corruption. Refusing permits and then citing people for violations was used heavily to round up Black protesters during the Civil Rights movement.

Canada, Germany.

Look if you want to argue the USA is so extra fucked up that unlike everywhere else stopping Nazis from being public is worse for y'all that's fine but then don't start acting like the US Constitution is some great document that fights fascism because you're the only place in the West that lets them march. Not to mention also celebrates how great the law is that lets them.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh come the fuck on.

I get this is an emotional conversation, but calling those that are arguing for free speech Nazi sympathizers is just fucking ridiculous.

Actually no. Forsaken falls into that particular category of shit thats basically 'you know guys, Nazis are people too, they have rights, we need to respect them'.

Fuck those people.

Not

Banned

How many "decent people" were there in Germany who ultimately ended up tolerating Nazis?

Why do so many people find history irrelevant in their neverending rush to prove that some white people, even the ones who do abhorrent things, should be allowed to say and do whatever the fuck they want?

That's where this push against social justice came from in the first place. Having no idea what the FUCK persecution was at all and confusing the backlash against what many perceived as a lack of consequences for their hateful actions and inciting speech for oppression. I'm sorry, someone being allowed to call you an asshole doesn't give you the right to march alongside people who want to fucking KILL THEM just because that person was allowed to call you an asshole for the first time in history.

Perspective. PERSPECTIVE. Read autobiographies of people with different skin colors, gender, and orientation than you. Fight the instinct that things can't be as bad as they're saying, and realize that your perspective remains limited because of the way you look. The way society treats you. The way you belong to what is still effectively a TRIBE, because we haven't developed past that as a civilization. no matter what every other white person has told you for your entire life.

Oh come the fuck on.

HOW THO?

HOW CAN YOU GO TO A NAZI RALLY

MARCH WITH THEM

CHANT WITH THEM

BUT SOMEHOW NOT BE ASSOCIATED WITH THEM?

HOW????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom