• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

I don't know about any of that.

I just meant that there is clearly loss in quality when comparing the two even just on my 3440x1440 screen...

And I mean, this is a 4k comparison that people are going to get the most out of on higher resolution screens in the first place.

I was just thinking that in a technical thread it's probably better to be as precise to the original content as possible.

I wasn't coming at you, just annoyed that people kept reposting it and saying that they can barely see any difference when the difference is very clear in those .png's I posted and not so much in the .jpg's
Here is the .png 4k screencap from the df video

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-101mzxr.png

must be the low bitrate quality of the SE press kit, i assumed they used the same video from here

http://press.na.square-enix.com/products/p286/rise-of-the-tomb-raider

Not trying to be snobby or anything and this is an honest question because I would really like to know/learn more. Could someone please explain to me why we are still using this terrible quality comparison as seen below,

Instead of this one?

Which is full res.

I mean, usually I don't care but we are in a technical comparison thread and one is .jpg and one is .png and everyone keeps reposting the resized .jpg which hides a lot of detail.

Maybe it would help if Colbert put the .png's on the front page.
Differences is much more pronounced in .png as they should be

Synth

I'm not sure why you quoted me because these are not improved textures.

But there are clear examples of improved textures posted which answers your question.

Funnily enough, the game not having new texture assets actually further lessens the possibilities of a future PS4 Pro patch bringing them on par. If the textures are the same as already exist in the PC... that means there's no good reason why they shouldn't have already been added when the Pro upgrade was if they were viable.

Had a look through my saves and found the location easily.

DT2c.png

My settings are Highest texture setting, SMAA, motion blur off, dof off, lens flare off, film grain off, vignette blur off.

Direct png of my screenshot
http://abload.de/img/2017-08-2802_trpc63uf1.png

DF's PC image seems quite blurry but I went straight in with these settings, just turned off most of the post stuff it's a match in clarity. PC has tessellation, hbao+, higher stone textures.

Edit: campsite save file is right next to this scene if anyone wanted some other settings tried but this XBX version is not even released and really not worth overanalyzing. I was just curious how/why blurry the DF PC shot was as I've played and snapped this game in 4k last year plenty of times.

Space_nut

But there are clear examples of improved textures posted which answers your question.

Funnily enough, the game not having new texture assets actually further lessens the possibilities of a future PS4 Pro patch bringing them on par. If the textures are the same as already exist in the PC... that means there's no good reason why they shouldn't have already been added when the Pro upgrade was if they were viable.

Xbox One X having textures look way more detailed in RoTR than pro is going to be the norm :)

12GB 326gb/s of memory pro doesn't have

True dat bro, Digital Foundry should get into the business of analyzing exclusives instead of this tech analysis shit.
And controllers and friends lists while you're at it, too, Digital Foundry.

Hey, I remember when fans of a certain console would constantly bring controller preference and online service preferences and game library preferences into digital foundry threads.
Remember those times Etta ?
Seemed to be ok back then with some.
What happened Etta? What happened ?

This is the comparison we've been waiting for. This proves there isn't any new texture assets on Xbox One X, judging by the footage we've seen. Also, details are a tad more visible on PC versus Xbox One X.

After 27 pages this is hilarious. Improved textures - lol.
Right out the window.

Justified

DT2c.png

My settings are Highest texture setting, SMAA, motion blur off, dof off, lens flare off, film grain off, vignette blur off.

DF's PC image seems quite blurry but I went straight in with these settings, just turned off most of the post stuff it's a match in clarity. PC has tessellation, hbao+, higher stone textures.

Well there's that. Thanks C9

Well this cements me buying an XBX then. Third party games are going to look amazing. I just REALLY hope MS has fixed that horribly slow OS they use. Navigating the dashboard is nightmarishly slow as it is currently.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Xbox One X textures are extremely more detailed than pro

You're missing the point. Many thought (myself included) that there were newer assets, not just "higher resolution" textures (ala PC maxed). C9's pic proves that there isn't any new asset, just a closer image between the X1X and PC Ultra setting. The Pro would be High, which is no slouch, considering.

Head.spawn

It's improved textures over the Xbox One version.

Also, how is that the smoking gun? I could've sworn someone already posted a picture of the same blood decal visible on PS4 Pro in a different location. I said it as well, many others pointed out that it's in the PS4 Pro version. Not to mention it's in the base PS4 and Xbox One versions as well.

You guys should really give this game a shot, there's a demo up and everything. lol.

Space_nut

You're missing the point. Many thought (myself included) that there were newer assets, not just "higher resolution" textures (ala PC maxed). C9's pic proves that there isn't any new asset, just a closer image between the X1X and PC Ultra setting. The Pro would be High, which is no slouch, considering.

Not being new assets makes it even more impressive for Xbox One X to show how much better the same assets look on it over pro :)

This with better effects and pushing out double the amount of pixels on screen natively over pro is freaking amazing

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It's improved textures over the Xbox One version.

Also, how is that the smoking gun? I could've sworn someone already posted a picture of the same blood decal visible on PS4 Pro in a different location. I said it as well, many others pointed out that it's in the PS4 Pro version. Not to mention it's in the base PS4 and Xbox One versions as well. You guys should really give this game a shot, lol.

I've already beaten it on PC (as have many of us).

Not being new assets makes it even more impressive for Xbox One X to show how much better the same assets look on it over pro :)

This with better effects and pushing out double the amount of pixels on screen natively over pro is freaking amazing

Impressive, yes, but not unexpected and certainly not this "big leap" we heard about pages back.

Sure looks improved over the Xbox One and PS4/PRO versions... what exactly is the problem?

Xbox One X textures are extremely more detailed than pro

Nope. From this very page:

DT2c.png

Edit: campsite save file is right next to this scene if anyone wanted some other settings tried but this XBX version is not even released and really not worth overanalyzing. I was just curious how/why blurry the DF PC shot was as I've played and snapped this game in 4k last year plenty of times.

It's the dof.

Head.spawn

I've already beaten it on PC (as have many of us).

And you hadn't seen it before?

Nope. From this very page:

It's the dof.

That's not the Pro version:

Textures are improved to Very High. Look at her left shoulder, clear as day.

PS4 Pro
Xbox One
PC - High
PC - Very High
Xbox One X

Keep in mind the Xbox One X shot here is screenshot snatched via youtube, the rest are direct capture.

Unless my eyeballs are fucked, Xbox One X looks to be a match for Very High, which is the highest setting. PS4 Pro and Xbox One both look to be High settings.

DT2c.png

Figured as much. Even on my not great PC the game never looked as blurry and generally smudgy as in these DF comparisons. Thanks for checking it!

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
And you hadn't seen it before?

Um, I think it has been explained that the textures change throughout the span of the game. So one play-through won't look exactly like the other. It is why many of us have been questioning the pics from the beginning. We knew that blur and "missing" texture didn't look right.

Neith

Banned
This is the comparison we've been waiting for. This proves there isn't any new texture assets on Xbox One X, judging by the footage we've seen. Also, details are a tad more visible on PC versus Xbox One X.

Another mediocre DF job for whatever reason. To rise the hype maybe IDK or just a common error of judgement.

They probably should have tested it a bit more.

onQ123

It's not pushing out double the amount of pixels on screen the pixel count is the same.

Space_nut

It's not pushing out double the amount of pixels on screen the pixel count is the same.

It is

Native res is rendering a full frame and spitting it out

Checkerboard is rendering half then using previous frames to "fill" in the rest

One is more computationally more expensive and that is rendering at a native res

Also Enriched mode
Xbox One X 4kcb
Pro 1080p

thelastword

Banned

DT2c.png

Thank you....

Fredrik

I take it that DF simply compared their recorded material but Nixxes and Square Enix actually made a BEST/HIGHEST/ETC trailer about the improvements that supposedly makes this the best version.
Or was it just a place holder version shown at Gamescom and they're still working on applying those improvements?
Looks like I can safely keep playing the PC version for now...

Space_nut

I take it that DF simply compared their recorded material but Nixxes and Square Enix actually made a BEST/HIGHEST/ETC trailer about the improvements that supposedly makes this the best version.
Or was it just a place holder version shown at Gamescom and they're still working on applying those improvements?

Eurogamer article is about Xbox One X vs pro

Xbox One X is better in many areas over pro

The only grey area is how pc is shown

Branson

DT2c.png

Cool. I didnt realize that there are dynamic textures on her face like that.

Fredrik

Eurogamer article is about Xbox One X vs pro

Xbox One X is better in many areas over pro

The only grey area is how pc is shown
Yeah but the trailer still exist telling us that XBX version is the best in all kinds of ways. Are they talking about console gaming only?

DF should probably update their article with the PC talk removed.

Umm you know that's pc?

Look at the many pics showing the jacket, scarf, face skin, etc

You're saying pro has same textures?

When did pro get a update on using ultra textures?? Lol

The ps4 pro shot from the first page doesnt look that far off from the pc vetsion asset wise with dof. And the pc version looks nearly identical to the oneX when the dof is turned off.

c0de

Hey, I remember when fans of a certain console would constantly bring controller preference and online service preferences and game library preferences into digital foundry threads.
Remember those times Etta ?
Seemed to be ok back then with some.
What happened Etta? What happened ?

IIRC it happened around three times and I don't even know if it was always different people so don't make this bigger than it was.

Space_nut

The ps4 pro shot from the first page doesnt look that far off from the pc vetsion asset wise with dof. And the pc version looks nearly identical to the oneX when the dof is turned off.

Pro doesn't use ultra textures

Pc does no matter if dof is used or not

Also it's not just the face. There's loads of other pics showing textures in pro having textures lower res

Fredrik

Gotta get Xbox One X to look bad here.
Nah this is just GAF searching the truth, Pro is obviously the last year's model, so to speak, nothing good comes from lying that XBX version is also above the PC version.
Somebody should interview Nixxes on the subject, asking them what changes they're actually doing.

Head.spawn

Nah this is just GAF searching the truth, Pro is obviously the last year's model, so to speak, nothing good comes from lying that XBX version is also above the PC version.
Somebody should interview Nixxes on the subject, asking them what changes they're actually doing.

They made a video of the changes, everything seems to be accurate from what they said so far (footage is Alpha code apparently). I don't believe they said anything is above PC, outside Dolby Atmos.

IIRC it happened around three times and I don't even know if it was always different people so don't make this bigger than it was.

Knock off the thread cop shit and worry about how you express your own opinions and not others ok ?
It happened on a regular basis, by many different posters and they were almost always supporters of the technically weaker platform.
Funny how that last part worked.

Pro doesn't use ultra textures
Neither does One X across the board. Comparisons were posted earlier in the thread. In at least some cases, Pro appears to be using PC High textures, and One X is using Very High. Here's a zoom to show that:

facecompareaor30.png

Pc does no matter if dof is used or not
It may not be caused by DOF, but it is absolutely the case that Digital Foundry's original comparison showed blur on the PC shots that is due to settings. We had confirmation of it before, but chromatic9's comparison above makes it 100% certain. Given that, the blurriness of the Pro shots can also be assumed to be exaggerated by AA, or DOF, or whatever was blurring the PC shots. Of course, on Pro you can't turn off individual graphical effects. So unless there's a patch to alter how it renders, this really is how Pro will compare to One X.

However, beyond this specific title some of the generalizations stated in the thread have been severely undercut. The conclusion that some games on One X will look as good as on high-end PCs is extremely unlikely to be true. The idea that checkerboard rendering is the source of large amounts of blurring is similarly not justified by what we've seen (as most of the blur is coming from somewhere else). And so on.

belmonkey

So based on what settings the 1X seems to use / not use, I don't suppose there is anyone with a mid-range 1060 / 480 (580) that may be able to test if that level of performance (4k 30 fps) can be attained by a GPU that isn't quite high-end?

DT2c.png

So did DF not have textures maxed on their test?
Or are the C9/XB1X results achieved simply through disabling Post Effects?

DF did note a lack of DOF on XB1X.

Of course, Pro is still soft compared to both.

jmaine_ph

DT2c.png

Oh wow. I thought maybe the Xbox One X versions had some extra assets. This explains it all though.

Top Bottom