• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is winning the handheld war in Europe, PSP or DS?

sonycowboy said:
The DS in Japan is simply mind boggling. However, ~if Brain Training doesn't catch fire here like in Japan, the PSP looks to take the lead in US & Europe. Of course, the lead in Japan makes the overall DS position almost unassailable.

Never forget the power of Pokemon, though I can see the PSP taking the lead in at least NA. Europe seems to be taking kindly to the DS, it boggles me more than the success of the DS in Japan.

Andokuky said:
And what about LTD in the US? I would assume PSP is ahead on that. Someone told me today PSP is getting dominated badly in all 3 regions.

DS is winning in all regions.

It is slightly ahead in UK and US.

It is substantially ahead in the rest of Europe.

It is almost double PSP's sales in Japan.

However DS Lite & Brain Training/Brain Age should drive sales of DS further ahead in US/UK - there seems to be a lack of AAA/Killer App games on the horizon for PSP to broaden the appeal of the console beyond early adopters and gadget fans with large disposable incomes.

Gaybrush Threepio said:

It is more than double PSP's sales in Japan.

However DS Lite & Brain Training/Brain Age should drive sales of DS further ahead in US/UK - there seems to be a lack of AAA/Killer App games on the horizon for PSP to broaden the appeal of the console beyond early adopters and gadget fans with large disposable incomes.

Fixed. :)

Mook1e

Gaybrush Threepio said:

It is almost double PSP's sales in Japan.

I know some people (not me) said the same about Nintendogs, but do you really think Brain Training/Age will spur sales of DS hardware in the west? This isn't a baited question. I've actually recommended Brain Age to my wife.

ibu

Wen DS Lite comes out will crush all oncomers... please Square Enix make a Dragon Quest on DS and PSP. ( I will get both)

Mook1e

ibu said:
Wen DS Lite comes out will crush all oncomers... please Square Enix make a Dragon Quest on DS and PSP. ( I will get both)
Me too (or whichever one is better implemented)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
If NOA/E can get there act together and give us a tight release of NSMB/BT/DSL there won't even be a need for a thread like this :(

Here's to hoping that at E3 Nintendo announces that the DSL will go on sale with NSMB.

In Japan brain training had a snowball effect by constantly getting on the news, etc.
If the media get on Brain Training it will have a similar effect, probably lesser in magnitude, than in Japan.
People don't realize but Japanese trends stick.
Pokemon, tamagotchi, NINTENDOGS (Noone thought that would sell here either remember?)

Vashu

borghe said:
If NOA/E can get there act together and give us a tight release of NSMB/BT/DSL there won't even be a need for a thread like this :(

Here's to hoping that at E3 Nintendo announces that the DSL will go on sale with NSMB.

Well, it's pretty much a given that the Lite will come out around the time that NSMB and Brain Training will come out. The fact that the newest PAL BT boxart has the Lite slapped on (where it first featured the regular DS) made a lot of people say the same thing. End of May, start of June, that's the current date. Wouldn't surprise me if they released the system in both territories at once.

But man, the coming months are a pain in my wallet.. Titles like Brain Training (June 9th), New Super Mario Bros (June 9th), Metroid Prime Hunters (May 5th), Lost Magic (April 25th), Trauma Center (April 28th), Super Princess Peach (May 27th), Metroid Prime Pinball (June 9th) and Tetris DS (April 24th) and you got one hell of a line up. * Dates are European and could be placeholders.

I'd say the DS will continue it's dominance for a while. Like you said, they could use a tight release and at the moment they are doing exactly that.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
PSP seems to be a longer life product and is doing well in it's own right. I think (like the PS) it *could* grow over time with pricedrops. However, do you guys think Sony will keep the current PSP out long enough to *maybe* do this, or do you think they'll move onto the (non-UMD) HDD based "PSP2" before then? Do you think it'll matter once PokeMon Diamond & Pearl comes?

cvxfreak

Brain Training is being advertised on both Oprah and Ellen, which have different fanbases from what we're used to. I think it can be a hit if marketed correctly.

Mrbob

PSP is on track to sell at least 50 million worldwide. And probably much more. If the final breakdown is DS at 90 million and PSP at 72 million worldwide I'm not going to shed any tears, because it is a big enough piece of the pie to make sure I get good games every step of the way.

Farmboy

Vashu said:
Well, it's pretty much a given that the Lite will come out around the time that NSMB and Brain Training will come out. The fact that the newest PAL BT boxart has the Lite slapped on (where it first featured the regular DS) made a lot of people say the same thing. End of May, start of June, that's the current date. Wouldn't surprise me if they released the system in both territories at once.

Boxart notwithstanding, I have it on good authority that the DS Lite will not release alongside Brain Training in Europe -- it will come out later than that.

Mrbob said:
PSP is on track to sell at least 50 million worldwide. And probably much more. If the final breakdown is DS at 90 million and PSP at 72 million worldwide I'm not going to shed any tears, because it is a big enough piece of the pie to make sure I get good games every step of the way.

Huh?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Mrbob said:
PSP is on track to sell at least 50 million worldwide. And probably much more. If the final breakdown is DS at 90 million and PSP at 72 million worldwide I'm not going to shed any tears, because it is a big enough piece of the pie to make sure I get current gen ports and retreads every step of the way.
fixed

sorry, but I tried giving PSP another chance towards the beginning of the year and what is its slate? ports and rertreads.

it is quite clear that most developer's agendas for the PSP equate to porting their current games to it from PS2 for a quick buck. no thanks.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Frankfurter said:
I highly doubt that PSP has been outselling DS in Europe in the last weeks/months.
In the UK PSP has probably outsold DS by a small margin, France seems to be more or less clearly in favor of the DS and in Germany the first few software charts we got (at the beginning of 2006) software was selling equal, but with the last charts ( * ) Animal Crossing alone (in its second week) has almost outsold PSPs top 20 (and just btw.: the biggest retailer for videogames has an offer in a few stores for a PSP Giga Pack + Pursuit Force + 1 game for 250€ [normal retail price is 300€ for the Giga Pack], PSP Value Pack is always bundled with Pursuit Force for 250€).

http://www.gamezone.de/news_detail....ws=Nintendo%20DS:%20Gute%20Softwareverk%E4ufe
http://www.gamezone.de/news_detail....ws=Sony PSP: Aktuelle Software-Verkaufszahlen
Wow, just wow. Top 6 games in DS chart all sold more than top selling PSP game (Pursuit Force is bundled with PSP hardware in a lot of stores).
Also I think RE DS didn't bomb in Germany (I assume this is its second week on sale)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
cvxfreak said:
Brain Training is being advertised on both Oprah and Ellen, which have different fanbases from what we're used to. I think it can be a hit if marketed correctly.
Has that been confirmed?

Mrbob

borghe said:
fixed

sorry, but I tried giving PSP another chance towards the beginning of the year and what is its slate? ports and rertreads.

it is quite clear that most developer's agendas for the PSP equate to porting their current games to it from PS2 for a quick buck. no thanks.

Well we'll have to wait a little longer. I agree that the porting has been a problem with third parties, and has hampered the system. If a bunch of ports are announced at E3 this year, then yeah I would say there is a problem. PSP has so much potential, but it is going to waste at the moment.

The DS has already won the next gen war in Japan
The DS is holding off the PSP in the US with one hand, waiting for backup (IE Pokemon)
The DS is beating the PSP in every democracy in Europe (IE all of Europe lolz)

starship

Mrbob said:
At least 50m for PSP? kidding? :lol :lol

Mrbob said:
Well we'll have to wait a little longer. I agree that the porting has been a problem with third parties, and has hampered the system. If a bunch of ports are announced at E3 this year, then yeah I would say there is a problem. PSP has so much potential, but it is going to waste at the moment.

QFT.

I think some effort from Sony themselves would help this cause (more of Daxter, Loco Roco etc, please). I'd like to see Sony work on brand new projects as well as original PSP entries into their existing franchises. I'm sure if these see success (and they should), they'd help demonstrate the PSP as a genuine gaming platform, third parties would probably follow suit.

ethelred

Mrbob said:

The thing that's frustrated me is the RPG situation. The PlayStation brand has been phenomenal for RPGs, and so there was a certain expectation that some degree of that strength would transfer to the PSP in seeing high quality, decently budgeted RPGs on the go.

It's turned out to be the exact opposite of that. Seeing Monster Kingdom, what looked to be the sole worthwhile original PSP RPG, completely bomb in Japan... was a huge disappointment. It's a bad situation -- I'm not sure what could turn it around for RPGs at this point; the PSX emulation, hopefully, might spark a few good ones.

Beezy

cvxfreak said:

Where are you getting this from? o_O

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
cvxfreak said:

If that is being done, then it's pretty much a surefire hit in the US.

starship

rainer516 said:
If that is being done, then it's pretty much a surefire hit in the US.
Crapload units sales for this game guaranteed a while back.

lancubap

cvxfreak said:
DS by a landslide in Japan.
DS by a razor thin margin in North America.
DS by some kind of margin in Europe.

In particular, for Nintendo DS we have:

Japan: 7.1 millions;
USA: 4.3 millions;
Europe: 4.5-5 millions;

Total: 16.1-16.6 millions; (Plus other regions ~ 17 millions).

For PSP:

Japan: 3.2 millions;
USA: 4.1 millions;
Europe: 3-3.5 millions;

Total: 10.3-10.8 millions; (Plus other regions ~ 11 millions).

Source: Media Create, NPD, Gfk, Elspa.

P.S.: There's some problems with Europe & "other regions", but the approximation is good.

xaosslug

all PSP needs to turn the tide in Japan is a Dragon Quest... :p

let's not count them chickens before they is hatched.

xaosslug said:
all PSP needs to turn the tide in Japan is a Dragon Quest... :p

let's not count them chickens before they is hatched.

:lol

Not only is that highly unlikely, but the Dragon Quest games so far are all on DS.

lancubap

Magicpaint said:

Not only is that highly unlikely, but the Dragon Quest games so far are all on DS.

Well, it is not really true. We have had SLIME Dragon Quest, but not a TRUE Dragon Quest. Perhaps we'll see something at E3 (On DS of course)!

lancubap said:
Well, it is not really true. We have had SLIME Gragin Quest, but not a TRUE Dragon Quest. Perhaps we'll see something at E3 (On DS of course)!

I know the DQ games on the DS aren't main games, but they are still Dragon Quest games, and the DQ Monsters series is actually very big.

xaosslug

Magicpaint said:

:lol You live in your own little vacuum, don't you. One really shouldn't count PSP down or out considering it's outselling 360 and PS2 atm in Japan.

I'm not saying the age PSP's domination is imminent but to completely discount PSP as a non-factor be foolish.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
borghe said:
fixed

Yeah because games like Lumines, Loco Roco, Exit, and DJ Maxx are horribly planned and basically non-existant. :rolleyes:

GET A LIFE YOUNGBUCK

xaosslug said:
:lol You live in your own little vacuum, don't you. One really shouldn't count PSP down or out considering it's outselling 360 and PS2 atm in Japan.

I'm not saying the age PSP's domination is imminent but to completely discount PSP as a non-factor be foolish.

Saying all PSP needs is a "Dragon Quest" game to turn the tides is wishful thinking, sorry :lol

That doesn't affect the DS in anyway, all that can do is help the PSP, while the DS still continues to sell Brain Traninig/Animal Crossing and Mario Kart like they are first week releases.

I'm not discounting the PSP, it's doing well in its own right, but the DS has developed such a huge lead in a such short space of time, that right now, it seems almost unstoppable (in Japan).

mckmas8808

kia said:
At least 50m for PSP? kidding? :lol :lol

And what makes that soooo impossible? They have already sold over 11 million units without a price drop. Oh I forgot PSP is for the suckerss!!!111!!!

lancubap said:
In particular, for Nintendo DS we have:

Japan: 7.1 millions;
USA: 4.3 millions;
Europe: 4.5-5 millions;

Total: 16.1-16.6 millions; (Plus other regions ~ 17 millions).

For PSP:

Japan: 3.2 millions;
USA: 4.1 millions;
Europe: 3-3.5 millions;

Total: 10.3-10.8 millions; (Plus other regions ~ 11 millions).

Source: Media Create, NPD, Gfk, Elspa.

P.S.: There's some problems with Europe & "other regions", but the approximation is good.

OMG. Sorry, but that's not even close for Europe/WW #'s. "Some problems" indeed.

NOTE: I do think the PSP could be heading for trouble, but if we look at the current state it's extremely close outside of Japan and the PSP is currently selling better than the DS in 2006 in both Europe and NA.

Now, March/April is going to be interesting. Some high profile DS releases and Brain Training / DS Lite on the horizon.

lancubap

Magicpaint said:
Saying all PSP needs is a "Dragon Quest" game to turn the tides is wishful thinking, sorry :lol

That doesn't affect the DS in anyway, all that can do is help the PSP, while the DS still continues to sell Brain Traninig/Animal Crossing and Mario Kart like they are first week releases.

I'm not discounting the PSP, it's doing well in its own right, but the DS has developed such a huge lead in a such short space of time, that right now, it seems almost unstoppable (in Japan).

In a word: I agree !
Nobody has said that PSP is a failure or something like that. We are only saying that Nintendo DS's success is bigger then PSP'success.

In Japan, absolutely.
In Europe: sure.
In USA: head to head.

Total, as I have said: 11 millions PSP vs. 16-17 millions Nintendo DS.

That's all, but I repeat: nobody here says that PSP is a failure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

sonycowboy said:

OMG. Sorry, but that's not even close for Europe/WW #'s. "Some problems" indeed.

Ehm, what ? It is not clear, can you repeat ?

EDIT:

Well, I know that in Europe it is always a problem to make a good approximation, but I know for sure one thing:

Sony has not said that PSP has broken the 4 millions mark, and I'm quite sure that PSP has broken the 3 millions mark (well, I hope !) & Nintendo has not said that Nintendo DS has broken the 5 millions, but sure it has brokne the 4 millions mark (at the end of Februar).

So, I know, you have all reasons to say that is not accurate, but Nintendo DS is sure al least ahead of 1 million: this is the only sure thing !!

EDIT 2:

I have read you're NOTE, and it is accurate ONLY for UK & Spain (in Februar - March - Period, now, with Animal Crossing out I doubt seriously), but France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Danmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden & co. not at all.
So, in general, Nintendo DS is ahead of 1 millions or more. This is a fact.

ethelred

xaosslug said:

One can acknowledge the sales successes of the PSP without thinking, quite against all available evidence, that the system will end up getting a Dragon Quest game -- aside for the port of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in Itadaki Steet, anyway.

The DS has already gotten DQ: Slime Morimori 2, and it's getting DQ Monsters DS. It's very unlikely the PSP will be getting a DQ game -- and that this will suddenly, miraculously "turn the tide" for the system in Japan, which is pure, outlandish wishful thinking at best.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
mckmas8808 said:
Yeah because games like Lumines, Loco Roco, Exit, and DJ Maxx are horribly planned and basically non-existant. :rolleyes:

GET A LIFE YOUNGBUCK
You would have a point if you actually played the games you listed. Could've gone with Daxter or something, at least that game is actually out.

mckmas8808 said:
And what makes that soooo impossible? They have already sold over 11 million units without a price drop. Oh I forgot PSP is for the suckerss!!!111!!!
I'm pretty sure the DS won't make it to 50 million either.

Mook1e

jj984jj said:
You would have a point if you actually played the games you listed. Could've gone with Daxter or something, at least that game is actually out.
He could have actually played every one of those games (with the loco roco demo included)

Rocked

sonycowboy said:
NOTE: I do think the PSP could be heading for trouble, but if we look at the current state it's extremely close outside of Japan and the PSP is currently selling better than the DS in 2006 in both Europe and NA.

PSP isn't selling better than the DS in Europe.

lancubap

Rocked said:
PSP isn't selling better than the DS in Europe.

True. It is real that PSP is selling well in Europe (I think, not sure), but please stop with the stupid Dogma that Europe is "Sonyland", because is not true, absolutely not.

PSP is selling well, but DS is selling better. That's all.

Sonycowboy: read please my note 2 and answer in your post as note 2. :)

mckmas8808

Mook1e said:
He could have actually played every one of those games (with the loco roco demo included)

Thank you what's wrong with that guy? I'm just so sick of people saying that the PSP is all about ports. WTF? Daxter and Syphon Filter aren't even ports. They are completly different games.

Now all of a sudden people don't want existing franchises on different systems? WTF at Mario and Pokemon?

Mook1e

xaosslug said:
Well, how about a Dragon Quest, GT, and FF:CC. Could that shift the tide? :p
Nope.

Also, Sonycowboy may have meant "the UK" vice Europe. PSP has been selling better than DS in the UK in 2006 (although DS outsold PSP for at least one of the last two.

Top Bottom