• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ridge Racer Vita trailer

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
it might already be, it's been 2 months since TGS and we don't even know if the TGS build wasn't an old build at the time.

Seriously. 30 more fps in 60 days shouldn't be that hard. Even if it takes them 2 days per fps, they'd get it done in time.

Seriously. 30 more fps in this 60 days shouldn't be that hard. Even if it takes them 2 days per fps, they'd get it done in time.

That is, of course, if it was planned. The games looks great though and DCharlie gave us good impressions from TGS, where the only thing he complained about was the framerate. I am still getting it over Wipeout at launch.

Grimmy

Banned
it might already be, it's been 2 months since TGS and we don't even know if the TGS build wasn't an old build at the time.

But the trailer was just released last week. Seems more like wishful thinking at this point for it to be 60fps. It can't even do 30 fps consistently at the moment!

Kyoufu

I want a stable framerate more than I want 60fps at this point, because I know they're not going for 60, just like Wipeout.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ridge Racer was first and foremost an arcade game. Why are you only counting the console releases? Type 4 had a 60fps version of the original RR included with it as well. The PS1 releases were only 30fps out of sheer necessity, the series has always strived for 60fps gameplay.

series has always strived for? Really? where are the quotes from developers, or are you just projecting an emotional reaction onto a franchise?

Originally it was an arcade game, but that was nearly 20 years ago (jesus!), and only for a couple of games. Effectively it is now a console franchise.

As much of a rush job that this might be, its one of my most desired games along with HSG. I'm looking forward to RR more than Wipeout personally.

Ridge Racer was first and foremost an arcade game. Why are you only counting the console releases? Type 4 had a 60fps version of the original RR included with it as well. The PS1 releases were only 30fps out of sheer necessity, the series has always strived for 60fps gameplay.
You are absolutely right about that when it came to the arcades, but you are forgetting that all those 30fps RR titles he listed are console games and, just like the PS1 releases, they went with 30fps out of sheer necessity too.

That being said, both the 3DS and Vita can make a good to fantastic looking Ridge Racer running at 60fps, but that's up to the developer.

I'm happy as long as the framerate is stable.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Make that 60fps and you have a sale, Namco.

Precisely. I was extremely disappointed in (and didn't expect) the 3DS 30fps. It just looks wrong and destroys the design language of the game. The sleek, arcadey beauty of those course set pieces are cheapened significantly by the halved frame rate.

Wait, what? Joke post?

RRT4 is still the best original RR and yeah, it was 30FPS.

RRT4-2 pleaaaaaase :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wait, what? Joke post?

RRT4 is still the best original RR and yeah, it was 30FPS.

RRT4-2 pleaaaaaase :(
Yes, it was a great game (though not my favorite in the series), but the 30 fps was simply a limit of the system. Going for 60 fps would have completely limited the game (as evidenced by the included High Spec disc).

The Vita, however, is more than strong enough to handle Ridge Racer at 60 fps. There's no excuse for the results they are seeing.

My guess is that they quickly attempted to port over the same engine powering Ridge 6 and 7 and have had issues optimizing it for the different hardware so they settled on a lower framerate.

Yes, it was a great game (though not my favorite in the series), but the 30 fps was simply a limit of the system. Going for 60 fps would have completely limited the game (as evidenced by the included High Spec disc).

The Vita, however, is more than strong enough to handle Ridge Racer at 60 fps. There's no excuse for the results they are seeing.

My guess is that they quickly attempted to port over the same engine powering Ridge 6 and 7 and have had issues optimizing it for the different hardware so they settled on a lower framerate.

I understand what you say and you're right. What I mean is, I love my 60FPS as much as anyone, but I still want a RR whether it's 30 or 60, it's not like it completely breaks the game like that guy says. It'd be cool it they got it to 60 but I think your guess is right and that they won't. I hope they make another one sooner or later, from scratch.

"You will get a mac."

I didn't realize Namco had partnered with Apple.

hahah yeah, all i saw at the start was "you will get a new mac" which played in my head as "you WILL get a new mac!!", lol so creepy.... it wouldn't surprise me if that atually was Apple advertising, in today's world of ultra-sneaky marketing.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
yup - that's pretty much how it looked at TGS but again - not sure what they are using to capture but it gives everything a washed out and blurred look. The textures were pretty nice.

But yea, dat slowdown still there. Best we can hope for is a 30fps locked i think at this point.

GrayFoxPL

I think Vita is claustrophobic. You get into a tunnel and it's FUCK! NO! NO! NO! (framerate down) out of the tunnel OH THANK YOU JESUS! (framerate up)

jett

D-Member
good lawd that framerate is unacceptable. I think they just stuck RR6/7 assets in this bitch and didn't give a single fuck about optimizing them for the platform.

good lawd that framerate is unacceptable. I think they just stuck RR6/7 assets in this bitch and didn't give a single fuck about optimizing them for the platform.

I really don't think those are RR6/7 asset, the car at least didn't look like it's as high poly as RR6/7 game.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The cars look good. The track, not so much. It very much still looks like a portable game. The trees, geometry, and textures on the track are all quite limited. It doesn't look like the great leap over the PSP RR games that I would have wanted.

Found the reality at TGS to be the reverse - track looks great, cars looked meh. Ps3 level track detail.

Found the reality at TGS to be the reverse - track looks great, cars looked meh. Ps3 level track detail.

So mant different impressions on this game lol, I say we wait the 20 days or so and see how it goes, DCharlie you buying it day 1 and sharing the vids with us, right? :D

dark10x

The cars look good. The track, not so much. It very much still looks like a portable game. The trees, geometry, and textures on the track are all quite limited. It doesn't look like the great leap over the PSP RR games that I would have wanted.
It looks like a portable game? On what platform? It's certainly far beyond anything we've seen on a console like, say, the Wii. It's not particularly amazing looking, but it could pass as a console game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
slowdown is my biggest concern. On a game like RR where you might need to control and tweak your drifts, slowdown could screw you up nicely.

There was a presentation for the game in Japan. Apparently the game will be 30 fps and will only include 3 courses: Harborline 765, Highland Cliffs and Southbay Docks. And yes, these are old tracks.

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20111123_493144.html

AHUAHUAHUA

This had better be a joke.

It's sad, because I used to be so excited about Ridge Racer games. Loved R4, R5, and the PSP games. Since then it's just been one fail after another.

Elios83

There was a presentation for the game in Japan. Apparently the game will be 30 fps and will only include 3 courses: Harborline 765, Highland Cliffs and Southbay Docks. And yes, these are old tracks.

AHUAHUAHUA

AHAHAHA what??? Is Namco mental? XD
It already was a no buy for me just because it seemed to be downgraded RR7, but now, burn it with fire.
Maybe the US/Euro version will have more contents though.

dark10x

AHUAHUAHUA

Where are you getting that idea?

また、本作のコースはリバース(逆走)も含めて6コース。今回の体験版では、「Harborline 765」、「Highland Cliffs」、「Southbay Docks」の3コースがプレイできた。いずれも過去シリーズに登場したコースであり、レイアウトも変わっていなかったように感じられたが、有機ELで見る風景はちょっと違っていたし、マシンモデル、エフェクトの類も過去タイトルからは違って見えたのは確かだ。ちなみにマシンは5台が用意されているという。体験版でのBGMは2曲、そしてランダムとBGMなしが選択できた。今までのシリーズからすると、単純に数でボリュームを見ると「あれ?」と思う方も多いと思われる(製品版でのBGM数は未確認)。
It sounds like there were 3 tracks in the trial version (they were able to play those three tracks) along with 2 songs and 5 "machines". That makes sense for a demo, but not the retail game. They even say the number of songs in the retail version were not confirmed.

There seems to be an option for buying more content via DLC, perhaps, but it doesn't sound like the retail game will ship with so few tracks.

It sounds like there were 3 tracks in the trial version along with 2 songs and 5 "machines". That makes sense for a demo, but not the retail game.

There seems to be an option for buying more content via DLC, perhaps, but it doesn't sound like the retail game will ship with so few tracks.

Hm. I don't know what they saw but is it possible it is a PSN only title (with heavy DLC)? I seem to remember it was one of the titles where the retail/psn situation wasn't clear.

dark10x

are we sure 3 tracks is for the retail release and not just what's available during presentation?
That's what I'm saying. The article is talking about the trial (demo) version.

Of course, my Japanese is a bit rusty, but that's what I'm reading.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hm. I don't know what they saw but is it possible it is a PSN only title (with heavy DLC)? I seem to remember it was one of the titles where the retail/psn situation wasn't clear.

I hope not. I was thinking to buy a retail card in Japan, but my PSN account would be UK so I'd be locked out of DLC. I need a decent amount of content on the card at retail.

Spiegel

It sounds like there were 3 tracks in the trial version (they were able to play those three tracks) along with 2 songs and 5 "machines". That makes sense for a demo, but not the retail game. They even say the number of songs in the retail version were not confirmed.

They are launching the game at a discounted price and plan to sell a lot of DLC.

dark10x

They are launching the game at a discounted price and plan to sell a lot of DLC.

Yes, I saw that as well, but they still refer to the three track version as the trial version.

I refuse to believe they would sell the game with only three tracks on the card. It could happen, but holy shit I could not imagine a more disappointing release.

Someone. Can someone confirm the name of the song used for that trailer, please? I really want it.

I could be wrong, but it does sounds like Boom Boom Satellites. If so EXCITE, day 1, etc etc. But it's not a track from them I recognize so it could be new material (or maybe stuff from an upcoming album)...

Trojan X

Banned
I could be wrong, but it does sounds like Boom Boom Satellites. If so EXCITE, day 1, etc etc. But it's not a track from them I recognize so it could be new material (or maybe stuff from an upcoming album)...

I was thinking that but I never heard it before... :( Guessing on both sides.

Anyone else got have any thoughts on what the song is?

Spiegel

Yes, I saw that as well, but they still refer to the three track version as the trial version.

I refuse to believe they would sell the game with only three tracks on the card. It could happen, but holy shit I could not imagine a more disappointing release.

I refuse to believe it either but why does it only says that the number of songs is not confirmed for the retail version and not the number of tracks and cars?

dark10x

I refuse to believe it either but why does it only says that the number of songs is not confirmed for the retail version and not the number of tracks and cars?
I don't know, but that statement indicates to me that the demo they played doesn't represent the retail version. There's no way they could ship the game with such little content at retail. The discounted price is still way too high for a game with only three tracks.

If it were a $5 downloadable PSN title? Sure, that's different, but it's not.

Top Bottom