• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox 3 = 6-core CPU, 2GB of DDR3 Main RAM, 2 AMD GPUs w/ Unknown VRAM, At CES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xbox Infinity sounds perfect, even in line with Windows 8.

But the problem is that there is already a Bioshock with that on the name. And it is multiplatform. Unless MS pulls up an huge money hat and secure its exclusivity.... wait... that will be too much perfect...

Gattsu25

Banned
Xbox Infinity sounds perfect, even in line with Windows 8.

But the problem is that there is already a Bioshock with that on the name. And it is multiplatform. Unless MS pulls up an huge money hat and secure its exclusivity.... wait... that will be too much perfect...
Jigga wha?

I'm not talking about this generation specifically. In general, it's always in platform holders' best interest to keep the same hardware as long as possible, whether it's profitable out of the gate or only in a later part of its life cycle. Of course, someone will always make the move first, to set its product apart, and others will follow, but ideally longer generations mean making money longer, without the need for large investments in generational transitions.

No, it's the same with every transition, games become more expensive to produce. It was the same going from PS1 to PS2, it will be the same going from PS3 to PS4. Content creation is the biggest problem, not programming - the tools and artists that use them just can't keep up with the demands set before them by better engines asking for more and more detail, better animations, more content and so on.

As a side note, the last transition saw the target resolution go up from 640x480 to (ideally) 1280x720. That's a factor of 3. This one will see the target go up to 1920x1080, a factor of 2,3. Not a huge difference.

To add to the latter part of your post we did see some games achieve I think 1280x1080. That would make the gap even smaller.

Oh I agree that costs will increase. My belief is that this would make the increases much more manageable.

Games become more visually complex as technology increases. More visually complex games cost more to make. Therefore, increases in the power of consoles cause game development costs to rise. For evidence, take every generation of consoles ever. The fact that this isn't an SD to HD transition isn't relevant, so long as there's a discernible increase in graphical complexity (i.e. until we reach a photorealistic plateau) the law will hold.

Middleware does have an effect of mitigating these price increases, but it's not much, and middleware developers have an incentive to increase their prices each gen to reflect their increased benefit. This is why the only developers we're hearing screaming "MOAR POWER!!1!!" are Epic and Crytek; they make most of their money from game engine sales, so the bigger the graphical leap the bigger their profits. The rest of the games industry is most likely quietly lobbying Nintendo, MS and Sony for a more modest graphical boost, because they don't want to see their budgets run out of control, which is why an awful lot of techies are going to be pretty disappointed when they find out the real specs of the next-gen consoles.

That's the premise actually. Targeting breakeven hardware with gens of 5-6 years should keep there from being large jumps that increase complexity.

Mully

No next gen Xbox will be announced at all this year. The market is bad and it'll be too costly for both companies to make right now. I give this generation another 1,2 years.

Likelihood MS reveals this console at CES? 10%?

Around this, maybe less.

10 min, my body is ready!

xbox_controller_duke_green_jewel_gates.jpg

THE:MILKMAN

No next gen Xbox will be announced at all this year. The market is bad and it'll be too costly for both companies to make right now. I give this generation another 1,2 years.

Around this, maybe less.

Most people are thinking along the lines of 1-2 years anyway. Announce at E3 this year and do a full reveal next year and then launch late 2013.

Exactly what Nintendo has done. Announced E3 2011, full reveal E3 2012 and launch late 2012.

Of course, Sony or MS could react to what Nintendo is doing............

From the other thread some leaked details

•Xbox 360 is the best selling console in the US, according to MS

•66 million Xbox 360′s sold
•18 Million Kinect Sensors sold
•Nearly 40 Million Xbox Live members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom