• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2012 Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hieberrr

Hey guys, I wasn't able to watch the conference live because I was working, I only was able to see disappointment on GAF! XD

Is there a place that uploaded it already so that I can watch the whole thing?

i believe e3.nintendo.com may have it.

Nlroh

I can't understand this. How many games have they released for the Wii? The last big one was obviously Skyward Sword, but they didn't release a thing in ages. I thought they would've had a lot of games prepared for WiiU.

Game-Biz

I wouldn't be surprised if the shareholders start asking for Iwata's head. During the Wii years Nintendo pissed of the hardcore but they always had the mainstream press, and the casual. The wii U is a different thing all together and it's Iwata's baby AFAIK. I mean jesus they've had 3+ years to plan for this shit.

I would hate to see Iwata go, because he really is a bright guy. But, my God, his mismanagement the last 2 years is really hurting Nintendo. And I really think this direction Nintendo is taking with the Wii U is not going to make them any money. I know this is my knee-jerk reaction to their disappointing conference, but I really don't see how they're going to get casual consumers to buy the Wii U when they already have Wii Fit and Just Dance for the Wii -- why spend a lot of extra cash to get similar experiences?

Same goes for the hardcore. Why play Mass Effect or Call of Duty on Wii U when you can get play it on the 360 for which you already own (and if you don't you can presumably buy it cheaper than the Wii U)?

Is my reasoning clear, or has my emotions clouded my judgment? NPD for Nov and Dec is going to be really interesting.

Fabrik

Banned
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I also prepared the various folder beforehand. What a moron I've been.

lol we're so sad. Frankly I was expecting at least one trailer from a first-party game of the graphical level of Uncharted to watch over and over again.

I can't understand this. How many games have they released for the Wii? The last big one was obviously Skyward Sword, but they didn't release a thing in ages. I thought they would've had a lot of games prepared for WiiU.

They do, presumably. They're just not showing them here. :/

I really wish Nintendo had clarified that the conference would only talk about the launch. I don't think we'd see this response if they had.

Game-Biz

And to think I had prepared myself to download a whole bunch of trailers and teasers for Wii U games once the conference had finished.

What a bummer.

I'm betting Nintendo releases a trailer for Retro's game really soon to counter all this horrible press. Hopefully tonight at the developer round table.

Not setting myself up for a disappointment though. I've learned that even really, really low expectations can still be too high.

I'm in zombie mode, now. No expectations, no real feelings.

Zero148

they sure have. EAD Tokyo 1 hasn't released a game since the first galaxy, so there should be a 3D Mario in development and possibly could have benn shown, but Nintendo decided only to concentrate on Launch Window games which release this year. And for that, it really wasn't too bad, quite solid imo.

If we don't see any new games at Tokyo Game Show, or the obligatory Fall Conference then we could start to doubt about the WiiU in 2013 and beyond (from a 1st and 2nd party side).

bachikarn

Well ShockingAlberto is saying in chat that some things were changed last minute that would have made the conference a little bit better. Like a demo of Aliens instead of Batman. Also some Nintendo first party games (EAD Toykto and Retro) were pulled for mysterious reasons. Take it for what it's worth.

saichi

lol we're so sad. Frankly I was expecting at least one trailer from a first-party game of the graphical level of Uncharted to watch over and over again.

but those pikmins are so adorable! it's worth watching over and over again. ;-)

they sure have. EAD Tokyo 1 hasn't released a game since the first galaxy, so there should be a 3D Mario in development and possibly could have benn shown, but Nintendo decided only to concentrate on Launch Window games which release this year. And for that, it really wasn't too bad, quite solid imo.

If we don't see any new games at Tokyo Game Show, or the obligatory Fall Conference then we could start to doubt about the WiiU in 2013 and beyond (from a 1st and 2nd party side).

didn't they make Galaxy 2 and 3D Land?

EDIT: NM. Tokyo 2 made those games. Tokyo 1 did make OoT3D. They ARE due to have some new games.

I'm betting Nintendo releases a trailer for Retro's game really soon to counter all this horrible press. Hopefully tonight at the developer round table.

I've said that I'm holding out for some kind of announcement, but I'm not expecting a trailer. I doubt they have one prepared unless they were planning to make multiple announcements tonight.

Well ShockingAlberto is saying in chat that some things were changed last minute that would have made the conference a little bit better. Like a demo of Aliens instead of Batman. Also some Nintendo first party games (EAD Toykto and Retro) were pulled for mysterious reasons. Take it for what it's worth.

Hmm. Or maybe they do have trailers ready.

That sort of thing is apparently quite characteristic of Nintendo, so I have no trouble believing this.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
- Nintendo is in big trouble. They lack direction and strong leadership. Future planning is unbelievably poor.

Their direction is not poor at all, it's just not catered to NeoGAF ridiculousness.

The direction is actually pretty clear. A 2D Mario at launch, Nintendo Land at launch, Scribblenauts, Lego City Stories, Rayman, Wii Fit, and even Project P-100 are all aimed at a ridiculously broad audience. Adding the "hardcore" titles like Zombi U, Pikmin, Darksiders 2, Batman, Tekken, Aliens, etc. are trying to expand that even more, but failing for GAF because of the absurd expectations that Nintendo would pull an E3 2006.

Sorry, but these titles will likely be for only the first 4 months of the console. Nintendo is infamous for announcing games only months before release.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If the launch is really this weak, I'd be tempted to say 'fuck you' to nintendo and just skip it. We just get occasional rehashes of the same IP and......oh who am I kidding, first sight of pikmin 3 and I'm dribbling like an idiot.

tumblr_m1iaiuEbBP1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

I still can not understand what has happened today...

myheadisfulloffuck.jpg

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Damn dropping the bombs in chat. Did he say anything about Black Ops2?

Oh and I do not understand why Nintendo would pull those. Weird. Hopefully we get a surprise later this week.

clemenx

Banned
Honestly, what I get from the 3 conferences being so bad is that E3 isn't simply that important anymore. Sure it's good for getting some games trending on twitter but I don't expect huge news from it.

Link to this chat?

What is this I keep hearing about a Fall conference? People are talking about it in the 3DS thread as well. Have we all entered some kind of shared state of denial where we imagine and reinforce things that don't exist? Or has Nintendo hinted at something? Have they had conferences after E3 where they announced huge games before?

If you have to pull something from the conference because it is running long, you can't pull third party stuff. That would be really insulting to all the third party presidents you invited to the presser. You need to pull your own stuff. The real question is why they kept that Nintendoland demo in if they had something more compelling.

What is this I keep hearing about a Fall conference? People are talking about it in the 3DS thread as well. Have we all entered some kind of shared state of denial where we imagine and reinforce things that don't exist? Or has Nintendo hinted at something? Have they had conferences after E3 where they announced huge games before?

Wait for Space World.

Instro

If you have to pull something from the conference because it is running long, you can't pull third party stuff. That would be really insulting to all the third party presidents you invited to the presser. You need to pull your own stuff. The real question is why they kept that Nintendoland demo in if they had something more compelling.

I would guess that Nintendoland is a far bigger title marketing wise.

schuelma

Guessing Nintendo's mindset, the top priority was Nintendoland. They would gladly sacrifice Retro for that.

I really hope we get a trailer this week.

Zero148

Damn, I could bet an EAD Tokyo game and in special the Retro Game trailer would have given the conference feedback an 180° turn, and not only a little bit better. Such a shame

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Lol, it would be great if Nintendo literally had an event called Spaceworld to try to increase the hype for this system.

But I just realized something... GAF hates this. Doesn't that mean it's going to be successful?

Last minute adjustments wouldn't surprise me. Some parts of the conference felt jury rigged like the 3DS games discussion. Nothing in those ten minutes felt as if the conference would be a more appropriate venue than tomorrow's 3DS video broadcast.

In my mind, all unannounced games are now under NDA until an end of year conference.

All of them need to go back to school and learn how to give us a proper E3 conference. Worst E3 ever.

As for Nintendo, this is the first time I see a company unveiling a hardware only with launch window games, where is all the 2013 and beyond promises?

And Iwata, get yo ass on stage, bitch! I kept waiting, waiting and waiting. He never came. :(

Nintendo doesn't have any (I think) games announced for 2013. They need to announce them sometime.

Kusagari

If Nintendo had trailers they pulled, they might panic and reveal one before the end of E3. There's no way the shareholders are going to like all this negative press.

bachikarn

Damn dropping the bombs in chat. Did he say anything about Black Ops2?

Oh and I do not understand why Nintendo would pull those. Weird. Hopefully we get a surprise later this week.

He said BLOPS is in development, but doesn't think it'll come out this year. That's why they didn't show it.

Retro sounds like a mystery because it's in "showable" form and could be shown soon (though not necessarily at E3). EAD game was in pre-alpha stages so they just felt it wasn't ready yet.

It sounds like in general Nintendo didn't want to show games that weren't in the launch window. Huge mistake IMO.

Also said there are 5-10 first party games that are in development, but that should be pretty obvious. No way Nintendo was only working on Pikmin, NSMB and Nintendoland.

Again, take it for it's worth. Most people consider him to be a good source, but you know how that goes.

popeutlal

Pikmin should have looked amazing, instead of just 'ok'. MS and Sony had much better games at their shows in terms of graphics, and of course content.

schuelma

He said BLOPS is in development, but doesn't think it'll come out this year. That's why they didn't show it.

Retro sounds like a mystery because it's in "showable" form and could be shown soon (though not necessarily at E3). EAD game was in pre-alpha stages so they just felt it wasn't ready yet.

It sounds like in general Nintendo didn't want to show games that weren't in the launch window. Huge mistake IMO.

Also said there are 5-10 first party games that are in development, but that should be pretty obvious. No way Nintendo was only working on Pikmin, NSMB and Nintendoland.

Again, take it for it's worth. Most people consider him to be a good source, but you know how that goes.

He's a great source, thanks for the summary.

GPsych

I actually wonder if the big 3 have learned/been advised to not talk up a bunch of software all at once. Maybe they've discovered from a marketing perspective that it's better to discuss/reveal games slowly closer to their release dates. This makes for a boring e3 and obviously angers GAF quite a bit, but information control seems to be a priority for large corporations. Dunno, just a thought.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???! Man, Plinko was right, somebody needs to be fired. This company officially lost its mind while making this conference.

ecosse_011172

Just going to post some random thoughts I had during the conference since my mind is too confused to put it together into a nice paragraph:

- Great entrance from Miyamoto

- Pikmin 3 looking nice.

- Feel hyped for the rest of the conference this is just the beginning.

- Why is Reggie talking for longer than the entire Pikmin demo when he said this show would be all about games?

- Why is Reggie talking so much about Miiverse when they had a pre conference yesterday to get it out of the way? Just repeating the same information.

- I love 2D Mario but it would be nice to move to a different art style.....I'll still love this as well though :)

- The demo reel just showed near enough the exact same games as mentioned last year.

- Why are they dedicating so much time to Arkham City when it has been out for a while on other consoles? A bit embarrassing.

- Why are they dedicating to much time to Sing, Just Dance 4 etc?

- The usage of the Wii U control pad screen is very disappointing so far. Mario and Pikmin will hardly use it and the rest feels like random stuff for a 'non player' to use, like the 2nd pointer in the Galaxy games.

- A quick 3DS run down? Nice. Eh? Mario looks a bit dumb having to collect all those coins. Why have you said this is a quick comment and are now blowing your load despite having a 3DS specific conference coming up.

- Where is a graphical showcase exclusive to sell the game to the hardcore?

- Where are games like Alien: CM showing off some cool controller usages?

- Why are they spending what feels like absolutely ages showing Nintendo Land? The guy is struggling to explain how it works and I'm itching to see something exciting.

- Will there be a trailer to end things on a crazy note? OMG something is coming on the screen.....oh it's more Nintendo Land footage :(

- If I buy a Wii U at launch, what games can I get in the months after?

- Are third party studios sabotaging the Wii U, so that it is dead by the time Xbox 3 and PS4 come out? Hmmmmm.

- Nintendo is in big trouble. They lack direction and strong leadership. Future planning is unbelievably poor.

Brilliant, spot on.

BruceLeeRoy said:
NintendoLand is a separate game? WTF. Seriously? I thought it was part of the OS on the system. How does that make any sense.
How does a minigame collection as part of the OS make sense?
Hieberrr said:
Someone please explain to me why the fuck there are three methods of control?

GamePad, Wii U Pro, and Wii Remot + Nunchuck... Why the fuck are there so many?
The Pro Controller is just a subset of the GamePad. Counting it as a unique method of control is like counting Wii Remote and Wii Remote+Nunchuk as separate.
Agent Unknown said:
He also goes on to say that HD made Miis integration easier. What?!
Well, sure. The character heads are generally pretty small in NSMB games, so with lower resolution the distinctiveness of different Miis wouldn't be as apparent.
Eggplant Wizard said:
Nintendo doesn't have any (I think) games announced for 2013. They need to announce them sometime.
Their release list mentioned both "Holiday" and "Launch Window". Since they also say the system launch is Holiday, I assume Holiday is 2012 and Launch Window is early 2013.

Sianos

Watch this huge game get an unceremonious reveal on Nintendo's website, a la Ocarina of Time 3D, Mario Kart 7, and Paper Mario. :U

There's still hope. The conference was lost, but the future may still be bright.

schuelma

Seriously, a Retro reveal would have satisfied many of the whiners. Just do not get it.

Cousteau

Wait 1 year at least to buy the system.Wait for a price drop.Wait for a collection of solid games to accumulate to buy the system. Wait.

WaitU

Sianos

It would have been so easy. Just show a quick trailer at the end. Cut out a few minutes of Nintendoland fluff to make room, there was easily some fat that could've been trimmed.

Come on Nintendo, everything lined up so well for you and you still whiffed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom