• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

Gallery updated with some random snaps of my Witch, Deathsmiles.

iQesPD32JJykM.png

lordy88

Finally sat through the giant patching and made some time to play....and I was met with this:

U08w8Ik.jpg

And the game was stuck at the pre-menu loading screen, then crashed. What can I do to fix this?!?!?

Alibubble

Neo Member
Would anyone know why the game seems to be using the integrated graphics chipset of my laptop instead of my dedicated GPU? I have the Intel HD4000 and an Nvidia 680M.

I figure it must have something to do with switchable graphics or something

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Crashed.

fashofgishofghaoiasubfaoiusbfoiuasboufsbaoufbuioafbaosuibgoabpgabpigbaogboaisbgoiasbgtoiabsiguigbsauibg

Wallach

Playing a dual wielding duelist right now and I'm having some issues. Health is a big problem for me, but my skills aren't great either.

Most of my skills right now are single target skills. Are single target skills supposed to be for Bosses/Unique enemies? It's a little overwhelming to be surrounded by a shitload of enemies when you have very little AoE.

I've got Lightning Strike but that's a little too mana intensive for me right now. I've also got Fire Trap which is alright.

I'm also doing a DW Duelist, I posted my build a ways back if you want to take a look.

Early on, you want to get into a lot of defense. Offensive nodes aren't very necessary at the outset, whereas defense is relevant straight away. I took this route to at the start: Link

You're going to be kind of mana restricted, that's normal. Run at least 2 slots for mana potions until you decide how you want to address your resource long term; mana nodes, Blood Magic, support gems, etc. I'm going Blood Magic personally, but there's certainly plenty of ways to get it done. Spend points in resource as sparingly as possible, though.

Vodh

lol. Played my Shadow up to 18 with some buddies, then after we were done for the day decided to roll a duelist. And this drops from Hillock (the big zombie dude on the first beach area before you reach town):

erqWtbS.jpg

the game is trying to tell me something...

Dmax3901

I'm guessing this isn't like Torchlight where you should pick up literally everything and vendor it. For starters there doesn't seem to be a money system in this, and secondly your backpack is fuck-off small.

Am I right in thinking this?

Enjoying the game very much, looking forward to combining spells.

The bane of my existence.

CfKuEy0.jpg

I'm guessing this isn't like Torchlight where you should pick up literally everything and vendor it. For starters there doesn't seem to be a money system in this, and secondly your backpack is fuck-off small.

Correct, you have to be choosy, especially with the smaller backpack size. Most white and blue items can be ignored unless they have either great socket rolls, or perfect implicit rolls (eg +20 onyx amulet).

JWong

Banned

Don't feel like you need to sell everything.

It'll make you hate the game. I got over it and it was a lot more enjoyable.
It's fun making those decisions and filling up on whites knowing that you're going back to town.

inky

You are right. It's the anti Torchlight in that regard. Just pick up things you can use/look good for an alt/or have the room for. You still can sell stuff to NPCs and get an assortment of barter items, but that shouldn't be the goal of each run.

As you progress through the game you will start to realize what items are more valuable, even if they are grey or blue. For example, ones with a lot of sockets+links can be upgraded in quality through orbs if you want to tailor them to a specific build you are pursuing. Of course, there are also orbs that add/change sockets and links for items that already have good enchantments.

The lack of gold makes it so that you really have to think about what to pick up, and so that you can improve the items you have in specific ways.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Build is somewhat shaping up... thank God.

Teknoman

Game seriously delivers in both visuals and audio (music and environment wise). I like D3's graphic style...and while I dont want to be another one of those guys...I would not have complained at all if D3 looked like this.

That being said, I really hope the team works on the physical feedback of attacks. The death animations are nice, but the visual impact/feel of actually hitting something isnt there. Feels about as light as Titan Quest attacks.

Regions are separate as far as co-op goes right?

Boken

Banned
Have they improved the combat? When I played in the closed beta months ago, all my spells felt like they lacked impact and that they connected poorly.

^: guess they haven't

Miletius

Restarted as a Templar. Wasn't really feeling the duelist that much, kind of want a hybird magic/str char. Hopefully going a bit more on the 2 hander side, but still undecided.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Studying the tree to try and figure out how to build a strong classic archer. Physical sounds like it's pretty tough to work later on, but I'm thinking there's got to be some sort of Frenzy + multishot evasive build that can work.

Teknoman

No, but it's better to be on the same to start off with. If you form a party with a person in EU and you're on US, you will all be hosted in either the US or EU, so some players will have more latency.

In that case that brings on my second question. Lets say someone here really experienced with the game decides to start a GAF league( own rules, economy, etc.). Would we be able to use our current characters to play in that league, or would we have to create new characters specifically for that league?

You are right. It's the anti Torchlight in that regard. Just pick up things you can use/look good for an alt/or have the room for. You still can sell stuff to NPCs and get an assortment of barter items, but that shouldn't be the goal of each run.

As you progress through the game you will start to realize what items are more valuable, even if they are grey or blue. For example, ones with a lot of sockets+links can be upgraded in quality through orbs if you want to tailor them to a specific build you are pursuing. Of course, there are also orbs that add/change sockets and links for items that already have good enchantments.

The lack of gold makes it so that you really have to think about what to pick up, and so that you can improve the items you have in specific ways.

Thats gonna take a little getting used to...but considering the environment where the game takes place, it really does make sense.

I hate to be another random guy to bring up diablo 3, but that game really cursed me man. Before the launch I was unbelievably hyped for TL2 and PoE, and especially D3.

After the disappointment I couldn't enjoy TL2, at all, even though I loved TL1 a great deal.

Now this comes out and I sense that it is fantastic, but something is wrong.

It's like D3 burned the love I had for LOD and the genre from my very soul, I wish I was joking.

Teknoman

I hate to be another random guy to bring up diablo 3, but that game really cursed me man. Before the launch I was unbelievably hyped for TL2 and PoE, and especially D3.

After the disappointment I couldn't enjoy TL2, at all, even though I loved TL1 a great deal.

Now this comes out and I sense that it is fantastic, but something is wrong.

It's like D3 burned the love I had for LOD and the genre from my very soul, I wish I was joking.

http://huahahaha.ytmnd.com/

Seriously though, I think the only thing wrong with PoE so far is the combat feedback/sound effects. That may change of course, but I say the gameplay seems fine along with everything else. Haven't touched the full version of TL2 yet.

EDIT: lol fixed.

foxdvd

I got a question...might be stupid not sure...I am level 12, and I took resolute technique on a strength build...after taking it, I notice that I have 100% chance to hit, but in my skill tree itself at the top it says, "Item requirements: 11 more intelligence required" now I am not sure if this has anything to do with resolute...or something I am missing, but can someone explain what that is for? thanks..

Spazznid

Anyone know if there is an AA bit that works in inspector? I'd rather have SGSSAA than the lackluster MSAA Built in. Also I'd like to not have to Downsample, either...

diablo 1 installer laugh.wav

Ok that's it, I WILL PLAY THIS GAME AND I WILL LIKE IT!

lol, Tomorrow or something, maybe.

Love the graphics, the combat works for me, soundtrack is fittingly moody and depressing.

Tried all the classes to level 5 still unsure, not really jelling with any one yet.

I've messed with a duelist and a witch so far, hard to commit to one, much less resist the urge to start another class up and mess with it. I think I'll probably stick with the Witch for now. I'm a bit trigger shy on committing to an element to buff with the passives, any advice on what works best in the longer term?

Yoshichan

Just finished act 3... that was very anticlimactic :(

Oh well, off to cruel!

I got a question...might be stupid not sure...I am level 12, and I took resolute technique on a strength build...after taking it, I notice that I have 100% chance to hit, but in my skill tree itself at the top it says, "Item requirements: 11 more intelligence required" now I am not sure if this has anything to do with resolute...or something I am missing, but can someone explain what that is for? thanks..

Removing a piece of your gear that had +int or respeccing out of an intelligence node may have left a piece of gear or skill gem unusable. It will highlight as red in your inventory.

Yoshichan

Incoming meltdown akin to the D3 one? ;p
LOL no! I'm talking about the fact that there were no cinematic, credits or anything alike :p

That looks pretty sweet. I kind of want Fiery Visage but I'm holding out till I've got a flame-centric build going

First legendary aquired!!!

89NMDDG.png

Now to make a pet build

Top Bottom