• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously, where are the system colors for 3DS XL in America?

Tenrius

I'm 24 years old, I'm sorry but I have no intentions to rock a bright red, bright blue, or bright pink gaming system.

I don't see the logic, really. I also adore my green DSi XL, just look at it!

green-dsi-xllnjvl.jpg

Eric C

i totally agree. i really need to upgrade from my OG 3DS, but im waiting for black or white :/
(or that friggin sweet Animal Crossing 3DS, that thing is bananas)

DAMN
where can i get this, and how much does it cost?

edit: just looked through that thread, found the link.
really only 5.49$?! is it comfortable?

It feels pretty much just like the XL except it's metal instead of plastic.

But, I only have mine on the top half of my XL because I use a comfort grip.

Also, just a small bit of the original color shows around the cameras.

ToxicAdam

How are people going to take me seriously when I am playing Yarn Yoshi on a red 3DSXL?!

God damn these kiddie colors.

You want to play bright and colorful video games, but you're afraid of buying a bright and colorful video game system. So you're somehow embarrassed that people might see the colors, and somehow that would make you less of an adult? That's a big insecurity, OP.

I wouldn't buy a bright blue watch, I wouldn't buy a bright red phone, and I sure as hell wouldn't buy a bright pink wallet. Why the hell is it hard to understand I wouldn't do the same for a handheld system I carry around? It's not insecurity it's about enjoying every aspect of what I'm putting $200 towards.

Some people consider these as an accessory, sorry some of you people can't comprehend that.

I have no clue. I've been wanting to upgrade my launch model for the longest time, but you won't catch me dead playing games on those Fisher Price looking atrocities that the current XL colors are.

Shaffield

It feels pretty much just like the XL except it's metal instead of plastic.

But, I only have mine on the top half of my XL because I use a comfort grip.

Also, just a small bit of the original color shows around the cameras.

oh yeah, the bottom half of the XL is black isn't it?

this purchase is becoming very very tempting. i might bite on a blue XL sooner than i expected...

Carlisle

Yeah I held off for a few months hoping that by the time the holidays rolled around there'd be an all black or all white system. When it became apparent that wasn't happening I caved and got a blue/black. Was actually quite pleased with the way it looks in person. Much better than in pictures. The metallic finish really ties it all together.

Eric C

oh yeah, the bottom half of the XL is black isn't it?

this purchase is becoming very very tempting. i might bite on a blue XL sooner than i expected...

No, just the inside of the XL is black.

The only reason I didn't put the bottom half on was because I already imported from Japan both the XL Circle Pad Pro, and a comfort grip. If I wasn't using those I would've just put it on the bottom half too.

Josh7289

I wouldn't buy a bright blue watch, I wouldn't buy a bright red phone, and I sure as hell wouldn't buy a bright pink wallet. Why the hell is it hard to understand I wouldn't do the same for a handheld system I carry around? It's not insecurity it's about enjoying every aspect of what I'm putting $200 towards.

Some people consider these as an accessory, sorry some of you people can't comprehend that.

I get when not wearing color makes sense. But you seem to have an awful lot against color, as if wearing color threatens your adulthood. If that's all it takes, then doesn't that call into question whether you really are an adult after all?

Come on, they're video games. Get over it.

Tenrius

Now this looks horrible.

No offense dude, I just hate green for anything non-nature or military.

Well, to each his own. I'm actually pretty much the same way about red, it never works for me.

Another reason I like that DS is that most of my other devices are in boring black/silver, some diversity is always welcome.

I get when not wearing color makes sense. But you seem to have an awful lot against color, as if wearing color threatens your adulthood. If that's all it takes, then doesn't that call into question whether you really are an adult after all?

Come on, they're video games. Get over it.

It's not about adulthood it's about adult tastes. Not to say adults can't enjoy pastel colors (hell there's a reason Nokia Windows phones sell) but I don't. I enjoy having my electronics in a standard color. If my TV set was bright blue, and my PS3 was bright blue and my Apple TV was bright blue I would buy a bright blue Wii U. But all my electronics are black, and that's why I bought a black Wii U.

My iPhone is black, my work phone is black, my iPad is black, my digital camera is black even my original 3DS was black... Why the fuck would I buy a red, blue or pink 3DS when I clearly don't want those colors???

MYE

And yet here we are, what, 6 months later? And all we've added to the mix is a junk Pink. I'm 24 years old, I'm sorry but I have no intentions to rock a bright red, bright blue, or bright pink gaming system. Everything I have had in my life tech and gadget wise has always had an option for a standard color (i.e. white, grey, black, silver, etc.), but NoA is apparently keeping the XL geared towards kids because they refuse to fix this problem.

I can't be the only person here who won't buy an XL unless it's in a more standard color? What gives? 3DS sales have slumpped hard in America.. why are we stuck with color choices targeted at children?

I thought we grew past this fucking argument that colorfull products are for kids, like, 15 years ago.
The world moved on and the design trend of applying bright colors on ALL types of products has been a popular thing for a long time now.

bnib_nespresso_citiz_milk_by_krups_coffee_machine_red_63343.jpg

Lounge-Chair-Green-by-Nico-Kl%C3%A4ber.jpg

A%3AXWotWCobalt-635.jpg

ipod-nano-colors.jpg

sev-gift-guide-logitech-headphones-pinterest-lgn.jpg

^ The general public doesnt consider these products toys. We are not in the 90s anymore.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
That's cool and all, but it's not about video games, it's about lugging around a hideous piece of shit. I wouldn't carry a bag or have shoes as comparatively ugly, either.
Shoes and bags are totally different than an electronic device to me. I am picky about the clothes I wear. But hey, most electronic devices look like alien penises or something. Eh.

"On a much more limited basis." Hope springs eternal!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
OP seems very insecure.

It's cool if you don't like the colors available. But not if you think "grown ups" shouldn't be using them.

womp

I'm pretty sure Reggie said that there won't be a white one b/c white handhelds don't sell in NA.

Yet the first DS Lite system released in the US was all white and sold a shit ton.

Reggie needs to go back to Pizza Hut.

kidko

I was hoping for some other colors to come out, but I picked up the red/black at bestbuy during the sale and I'm totally happy with it. I think it looks 100x better than the 3ds shiny glittery red.

I thought we grew past this fucking argument that colorfull products are for kids, like, 15 years ago.
The world moved on and the design trend of applying bright colors on ALL types of products has been a popular thing for a long time now.

^ The general public doesnt consider these products toys. We are not in the 90s anymore.
That blue watch rules. Would wear.

Wiz

I was hoping for some other colors to come out, but I picked up the red/black at bestbuy during the sale and I'm totally happy with it. I think it looks 100x better than the 3ds shiny glittery red.

This is same exact thing I did. I would still prefer all black, but I don't regret my purchase.

Resilient

I'm a Day 1 3DS owner and I am itching for an XL in a different colour. Of course, Australia gets shit canned hardest and I'll be waiting another 5 years before that happens.

Drago

I have a blue/black one and I think it's very mediocre. I hate two tone color schemes unless they're subtle. If they release the Animal Crossing XL in NA then I will almost definitely pick it up and sell off my old one.

It's embarrassing that all NA has is Red and Blue.

btkadams

i don't care about the non-toy crap, but the current colour situation is bogus. i have a blue dsi and a red 3ds. i want a different colour xl. it can be black/white/whatever (i would be fine with a bright pink but i don't like the look of the pink model).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
i don't care about the non-toy crap, but the current colour situation is bogus. i have a blue dsi and a red 3ds. i want a different colour xl. it can be black/white/whatever (i would be fine with a bright pink but i don't like the look of the pink model).

The blue 3DS XL shade is quite different from the DSi.
Dark, almost metallic blue vs skyblue.

I get what you're saying though.

C-Jo

I'll continue to wait for a non-Fisher Price colored XL.

I'd buy black or white in a heartbeat.

The two colors we have are both gaudy looking to me. If they were solid red or blue, it might be different.

I'm waiting for white, NoA. I've said that from the start, and I won't budge.

You do realize all of those products likely (or in fact do) come in standard colors and just rainbow colors? See the difference is those companies give us as consumers a choice, Nintendo does not. Want to know why I would buy a new iPod Nano? Because I can get it in black. Your argument is completely invalid and stupid.

Galang

Banned
I'm patiently awaiting a new XL color too. At this point I'll take anything as long as it's not two tones.

Fey

Banned
I initially thought the blue and red were awful looking, and held out in hopes of more colours, but caved in when VLR came out and was surprised - the blue looks much much better in person than it does in pictures. Definitely not "kiddie" or "Fisher-Price" as I had originally thought.

But yeah, had I been given the option, I would defintiely had went for black and/or white instead. But I'm very happy with the blue XL.

MYE

You do realize all of those products likely (or in fact do) come in standard colors and just rainbow colors? See the difference is those companies give us as consumers a choice, Nintendo does not. Want to know why I would buy a new iPod Nano? Because I can get it in black. Your argument is completely invalid and stupid.

As opposed to yours that colorful things are for kids?
Right

Did you even read my post and specifically what claim of yours I was arguing against?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The current colors are so ugly that it's actually the only thing preventing me from purchasing a 3DS (XL). They make the system look very "Fisher Price-y". Give me white, silver, or black Nintendo!

Trike

Well for one you are coming off as whiny and entitled. Yes, the color choices are strange for the 3DS XL. I am sorry you find them to be bright colors, I suggest you don't head outside or else your eyes might explode by the brightness. But that is just is available. I tend to get black consoles and handhelds as well, so I am waiting too. However I have no urgent need of a 3DS XL, so I am fine with waiting. I assume they will release a new color or special edition (besides the black nipple Pikachu XL).

But if not, I am going to get the blue. Why? Because colors are not just for kids. When someone posted all of those appliances you seemed to ignore the idea behind the post entirely. If someone had all those things, you wouldn't assume you walked into Pee-Wee Herman's kitchen. Whether or not they come in black doesn't matter, he was arguing that it didn't mean it was "kiddy". You seem to think electronics that don't come in black are childish. Do you watch TV in black and white so people are not thinking you are watching a children's program?

As opposed to yours that colorful things are for kids?
Right

Did you even read my post and specifically what claim of yours I was arguing against?

Red and blue as the only option makes me think, yes, these are designed for kids in mind. Everything you listed gives options from colorful to bland and I think are designed to both kids and adults. There's really no evidence that supports the other way. Hell the the DSi XL proves that the originally targeted these at adults with bland colors.

MYE

Red and blue as the only option makes me think, yes, these are designed for kids in mind. Everything you listed gives options from colorful to bland and I think are designed to both kids and adults. There's really no evidence that supports the other way. Hell the the DSi XL proves that the originally targeted these at adults with bland colors.

I would have loved to be in the meeting where Nespresso approved their vast line-up of colorful coffee machines, designed to appeal to kids.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
If they were solid red or blue, it might be different.
The biggest lament I have about my 3DS XL, right here. If only it was all red instead of red/black. This is also why I can't bring myself to import a red Vita, even though it'd be a vast improvement over basic black; the black buttons look really ugly. (Plus Play-Asia's sold out of the non-3G models...)

...But an all-red 3DS would mean they'd have to stop being cheap about it and actually use colored plastic instead of stretching a colored cover over a black unit, so it won't happen outside of an LE or redesign. >:|

(It's true, for those of you who are adroit enough not to have dropped your 3DS in a parking lot. If you scratch the unit deeply enough, you'll see black underneath.)

I will wait for an XL in black, white, or grey for as long as NoA wants to dick around. As long as they only sell the console in kid-friendly colors, it'll be clear that they only care to sell the console to children. When they decide to market to me, I'll be waiting.

Poyunch

The color combinations and choices added with the simple design makes the thing look toy-like and thus cheap. It's not the childish part that's the problem, it's the feeling that you're holding a cheap piece of plastic that bothers me.

A simple single colored 3DS would look much nicer and feel more "premium".

I would have loved to be in the meeting where Nespresso approved their vast line-up of colorful coffee machines, designed to appeal to kids.

That's not a consumer gadget though. They offer those options strictly to match people's decor. You buy a blue coffee maker because your kitchen doesn't change it's appearance on a daily basis and it fits for the long term. I buy a black iPhone because its a neutral color that doesn't stand out and works well in all settings. I don't buy a yellow iPod nano because I don't try and draw attention to myself, some people do and good for them, but I don't. The point is I can ignore the yellow iPod and pick up a black one. The same cannot be said for 3DS XL.

I have a blue/black myself. Had no choice to get one because of all the deals that went on during the holidays.

Although I wanted the white XL and was willing to wait, after seeing one of my little cousins with a pink/white 3DSXL with a bunch of dirt and stain inside, I'm pretty happy with mine.

Top Bottom