• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rabid Fanboy Post with Fake Info on Last of Us AKA a big FU to Thread Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not randomly.

How do YOU feel about input lag, Dreamgazer?

KZ2 SP is probably the only game where the input lag (coincidentally?) made the game feel better. That and the OP SP life made the first half of the single player campaign really enjoyable to me. However, the input lag definitely wasn't fun for MP, or even the bot-driven skirmish mode. Especially for someone like me who wastes precious time to aim down the site/dislike shotguns.

BF3(PS3)'s and GOW 1?/2?'s input lag in MP was totally unbearable, especially with their known hit detection issues/questionable net codes.

rouken

So NONE of it is true? :(

maybe. we don't know for sure. the info maybe true in some sense, but dog could have exaggerated a little bit.

i know one thing for sure, Ps3 gamers needs to get it together. the fake info, the sensationalist title, overreaction. smh. because of threads like these that people's feelings get hurt and get into senseless arguments.

Minamu

maybe. we don't know for sure. the info maybe true in some sense, but dog could have exaggerated a little bit.

i know one thing for sure, Ps3 gamers needs to get it together. the fake info, the sensationalist title, overreaction. smh. because of threads like these that people's feelings get hurt and get into senseless arguments.
Okay. I haven't read the thread, I was just psyched about certain aspects in the OP, then the edit came and didn't do a very good job explaining exactly what was fake, if it was the whole thing or just pieces. The other ones who quoted me aren't even worth responding to ^^

Edit: And you have 1337 posts :lol

Epcott

Wow, read this thread at work and was excited for TLOF.

Come home and find it in shambles. What the hell happened here? Still hyped for the game (In UC2 we trust), but seriously, what happened here?

Edit: Ahhh. Fake news and meltdowns. Shame... the realism sounded too good to be true. Guess it was.

rouken

Edit: And you have 1337 posts :lol

what of it? :)

but i apologize, that last statement wasn't targeted to you. it was for the info giver and the OP. i figure that they are really guilty considering they are not posting anymore on this thread and hopefully it won't happen again.

FourMyle

Fake info aside, I always wondered what it was that gave KZ2 that "weighty" feel and now I know it's input lag. Personally, I loved the feel that it gave KZ2. I am not a fan of ultra twitchy shooters on consoles so I would welcome more games like that.

Yeah I'm gonna say they are deceptive based on the control issues with UC3. And yes I'm starting to believe that the e3 demo was highly scripted.

So what about the hands-on previews? Was that scripted too? Did ND force them to play in a certain way? Apparently, their impressions don't seem to line up with your points.

Fake info aside, I always wondered what it was that gave KZ2 that "weighty" feel and now I know it's input lag. Personally, I loved the feel that it gave KZ2. I am not a fan of ultra twitchy shooters on consoles so I would welcome more games like that.

Input lag is an incorrect and misleading name for what we're talking about here.

Killzone 2 achieves its famous "weight" by increasing the dead zone of the sticks, and lowering cursor acceleration.

Yeah I'm gonna say they are deceptive based on the control issues with UC3. And yes I'm starting to believe that the e3 demo was highly scripted. Also the fact the demo you get with GOW:A doesn't unlock until 10 days before the game is released makes me think that they're not confident in the game and are going to try to sell the game purely of promises.

The demos weren't scripted. There were multiple playthroughs done and the action was different each time. I think there's even another video that shows a bit of the game before the stage demo and they go through the encounter in the apartments/hotel in a different fashion.

snap0212

I've now had a chance to read the article myself.

First of all, the "fanboy-ish" quote that used to be in the OP was an exaggeration of something that was said in the article. It mentions that "The Last of Us" does so many things differently from basically any other game this generation. Skimming over the text, this is information that I can "confirm" (i.e. it's in the preview). I haven't found anything about input lag yet but I'm gonna read the preview again.

- joel has his own hit detection. if you get shot in the left arm, he would hold his injured arm with his right hand and also loose constantly blood. you definitely have to treat the wound immediately because of the constantly loss of health and the screen would turn red.

in order to stop losing health, you have to get the bullet out of the wound, disinfect it with alcohol or antiseptic and bind the wound. all by holding the r1 button one by one.

the process to get the bullet out of the wound is not presented realistically, it would be too bloody and brutal.
The Preview mentions this mechanic. However, there seems to have been a small mistake regarding the translation. The part about Joel having his own hit detection is true. When he gets shot in the left arm he'll use his right hand to hold his wound and it's also true that he'll constantly lose blood until he takes care of his injury. The only false statement here is the fact that you have to get the bullet out of the wound. There's a quote from someone at Naughty Dog who says that this wouldn't have been fast enough and that it would have been too gruesome/bloody. He also mentions that you'll sometimes have to give up authenticity for the game's sake.

The Preview mentions the R1-Mechanic to clean up the wound. The writer mentions the similarity to Metal Gear Solid 3.

- if you get shot in the right arm (joel is right-hander) you have of course make sure to treat the wound like described above with the left arm. but after that, you can't just take out your shotgun immediately and shoot like nothing has happened before. you arm still hurts so if you aim with a heavy weapon like the shotgun or an assault rifle, your crosshair moves all over the place. you don't have 100% control over the aiming.

to shoot respectably with an injured right arm, you have to switch to a smaller gun like the pistol.
- same procedure if you get shot in the leg. he would lean immediately against a wall to treat the wound.

but now you hobble and can't run fast anymore for minutes, also when hit with a pole against the leg.
This is mentioned as well. The shotgun scenario is also described. What's not clear to me is whether this only happens if you cannot take care of your injuries or not. That one isn't really being described.

- no health kit around you can also use toilet paper and rubber band to bind the wound.
Also in the preview.

- the game plays very fluently, so no shortage of moments. you are able to open doors and move objects such as boxes or furniture. sometimes to get to higher positions, to clear a path or to block doors from coming enemies.
Yupp.

I've now had a chance to read the article myself.

First of all, the "fanboy-ish" quote that used to be in the OP was an exaggeration of something that was said in the article. It mentions that "The Last of Us" does so many things differently from basically any other game this generation. Skimming over the text, this is information that I can "confirm" (i.e. it's in the preview). I haven't found anything about input lag yet but I'm gonna read the preview again.

The Preview mentions this mechanic. However, there seems to have been a small mistake regarding the translation. The part about Joel having his own hit detection is true. When he gets shot in the left arm he'll use his right hand to hold his wound and it's also true that he'll constantly lose blood until he takes care of his injury. The only false statement here is the fact that you have to get the bullet out of the wound. There's a quote from someone at Naughty Dog who says that this wouldn't have been fast enough and that it would have been too gruesome/bloody. He also mentions that you'll sometimes have to give up authenticity for the game's sake.

The Preview mentions the R1-Mechanic to clean up the wound. The writer mentions the similarity to Metal Gear Solid 3.

This is mentioned as well. The shotgun scenario is also described. What's not clear to me is whether this only happens if you cannot take care of your injuries or not. That one isn't really being described.

Also in the preview.

Yupp.

Thanks for the update. So either ND are saying this isn't real i.e. some of the information here is exaggerated, or that the magazine is lying.

snap0212

Thanks for the update. So either ND are saying this isn't real i.e. some of the information here is exaggerated, or that the magazine is lying.
I'm really not sure what's going on here. The damage system is mentioned in the preview itself and they also talk about it during the interview. In the interview part, they mention how it doesn't make sense to just use a medkit and be completely fine afterwards. They do into detail about how certain medication is being used by special forces but that this medication doesn't fix the wound and only affects the pain. They also mention Metal Gear Solid 3.

Another thing they talk about is that it doesn't make any sense if the character isn't influenced by its health at all. It doesn't make sense that - when you're almost dead – you're still able to fight in the same way as if you had 100% of your health (especially movement and aim).

I'm still unable to find anything about input lag, though. That's probably what ND means.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So I guess the interesting parts of those initial bulletpoints should be true after all. Unless the magazine is making up its own cover story. It would be nice if Druckman could comment, I don't see what the secrecy would be about if it's already printed somewhere.

Skimming over the text, this is information that I can "confirm" (i.e. it's in the preview). I haven't found anything about input lag yet but I'm gonna read the preview again.

First of all, thanks for the conformation regarding the infos in the magazine.
But I really don't know why you are mentioning the input lag info.

I sent you a PM 13 hours ago with a link to my original post in which the infos from my source and the infos from the magazine are clearly separated. The OP just mixed all together. The magazine has no infos regarding input lag, it was my source. I also sent you photos of the magazines preview of tlou, which I also sent it to everyone who requested it, including duckroll. This why I'm not banned, because i proved the narrative from the magazine. Maybe duckroll is also going to conform this here.

snap0212 said:

There is no mistake regarding the translation or false statement. Read the interview part again in which Bruce Straley is quoted:

"[...] the bleeding is not going to stop by that.
you have to get the bullet out, disinfect the wound and tight it. that is exactly what you are doing in the last of us. somewhere in the back of the head we had surely mgs laid up (laughs)".

The preview doesn't mention that you don't get the bullet out of the wound, they are saying that sometimes you have to take out a little bit of the authenticity of the game, so they don't show the process realistically because it's brutal and would take too much time. But normally you had to cut the area of the wound and had to get the bullet out with a tweezers.

snap0212 said:

Yeah. I understood this as a side effect after healing the wound, because why would he still able to shoot when injured immediately in the right arm, when he is holding his left arm with the right one after injured on the left arm. You loose constantly blood when you get hit, why then still able to shoot.

This is my orginal post btw: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49949757&postcount=759
Where i clearly separated the infos from the magazine, here they are:

- you can even use a sharp pencil as a weapon

- at one time in the development process of tlou there was a command interface for ellie but was kicked after testing it. naughty dog doesn't want it to be a tactical shooter and it also would be inappropriate to command ellie because of her character... a kid who has her own mind, a potty mouth and doesn't always listen bravely. it would kill this character if a command interface would be integrated.

- joel has his own hit detection. if you get shot in the left arm, he would hold his injured arm with his right hand and also loose constantly blood. you definitely have to treat the wound immediately because of the constantly loss of health and the screen would turn red.

in order to stop losing health, you have to get the bullet out of the wound, disinfect it with alcohol or antiseptic and bind the wound. all by holding the r1 button one by one.

the process to get the bullet out of the wound is not presented realistically, it would be too bloody and brutal.

- if you get shot in the right arm (joel is right-hander) you have of course make sure to treat the wound like described above with the left arm. but after that, you can't just take out your shotgun immediately and shoot like nothing has happened before. you arm still hurts so if you aim with a heavy weapon like the shotgun or an assault rifle, your crosshair moves all over the place. you don't have 100% control over the aiming.

to shoot respectably with an injured right arm, you have to switch to a smaller gun like the pistol.

- same procedure if you get shot in the leg. he would lean immediately against a wall to treat the wound.

but now you hobble and can't run fast anymore for minutes, also when hit with a pole against the leg.

- no health kit around you can also use toilet paper and rubber band to bind the wound.

- they described a wide linear scene in the magazine.
you could help a npc in front of a police station and as a gift he would tell you to visit the top floor to get the guns from the chamber and he also would warn you about the infected in the top floor. it's up to you to risk this chance for the guns.

- you can use the environment for special treatments with human enemies. for example: punch an enemy near a wall, joel would ram him into the wall. fight near a table or dresser, you can smash his had on it. fight near a door, you could shut the door on his face. like in sleeping dogs but of course in a realistic manner.

snap0212

But I really don't know why you are mentioning the input lag info.

I sent you a PM 13 hours ago with a link to my original post in which the infos from my source and the infos from the magazine are clearly separated. The OP just mixed all together. The magazine has no infos regarding input lag, it was my source. I also sent you photos of the magazines preview of tlou, which I also sent it to everyone who requested it, including duckroll. This why I'm not banned, because i proved the narrative from the magazine. Maybe duckroll is also going to conform this here.
I never said the information from the preview is wrong. What many people in this Thread think is that all the information posted here originated from the preview in the magazine, leading people to believe that the magazine just posts false/unconfirmed information. Aside from a little note there's nothing in this Thread to separate confirmed and unconfirmed details.

There is no mistake regarding the translation or false statement. Read the interview part again in which Bruce Straley is quoted:

"[...] the bleeding is not going to stop by that.
you have to get the bullet out, disinfect the wound and tight it. that is exactly what you are doing in the last of us. somewhere in the back of the head we had surely mgs laid up (laughs)".

The preview doesn't mention that you don't get the bullet out of the wound, they are saying that sometimes you have to take out a little bit of the authenticity of the game, so they don't show the process realistically because it's brutal and would take too much time. But normally you had to cut the area of the wound and had to get the bullet out with a tweezers.
I'm not sure I know what you mean. The preview and interview make it sound like there's something happening behind the scenes but I don't find the part where they state that there's a process where you actively have to get the bullet out of the wound, for example. I sounds to me like it's exactly like MGS3.

Even though I was asleep at 3AM, I saw your post, of course. I don't fault you for sharing the information, the OP of this Thread could have done a better job separating the information that is printed somewhere and the information that was shared off the record or whatever you want to call it. You've done that in the Thread, he didn't in this one.

Not sure why you'd get into any trouble at all. You've said you consider your source trustworthy but separated the info you got from it from the information that's available to everyone.

Az

I saw your PM, thanks for that. If not resolved by the time I get home tonight, I will take a look at it.

ZeroRay

So some of that info is correct, though misunderstood?

Someone should tweet Druckmann to confirm whether the mag is lying or not.

softie

Here is the whole translated article (!!!!beware of major spoilers!!!!):

*Page 1*

The Last of US

M! plays the post-apocalyptic thriller by Naughty Dog, shits in its pants and flees from infected mutants. But we also experience moments full of emotions, drama and melancholy.

Blood is running down a bottle of coke while a moaning guy collapses and slams onto a vending machine. He accidentally hits a glass bottle with his arm and it bursts hitting the ground. The echo can be perceived far away, we cringe and suddenly hear those sounds again: Click... Click. Click. Click. But it goes away, phew! Time for a breather, straighten things out, what was that all about? This guy in a worn-out hoodie attacked us just now, wanting to smash our head with an iron rod and he paid for that with his life. Yet we also had a high price to pay: It was our last bullet. We cast one eye at the minimalistic HUD showing us a manacing "0" beneath the small symbol of our revolver. Then it comes back again: Click... Click. Click. Click. It approaches. We sit in a sparsely lit hall somewhere in Los Angeles, holding the PS3 controller tightly in our hands and breaking a big sweat at the first worldwide hands-on preview for "The Last of Us".
________________________________________________________________________________________

*Page 2*

Great Technology, great Emotions

In the virtual basement rooms a few meters beneath a bar somewhere in Boston are the "Clicker" our worst enemies - mutants infected by a fungal virus named Ophiocordyceps unilateralis. After three days the virus takes over the brain, causes the skin to rot and turn grey, the infected are starting to look like zombies. Since they appear in groups and like to hunt us in a pack, Naughty Dog calls them "Runner". After one year the spores grow into the whole body, oozing out of the eyes, blinding the victims. Thus making them unable to see us, which is why we sometimes dare switching on the flashlight to plan the next steps. But they still locate us with a sonar system. Whenever we make a move, we create noises, which they will follow. If we're clever, we would fling objects like those coke bottles into the other corner of the room and escape. But it's far too late. The biest sneaks up behind us and just as it wants to ram its teeth into our neck...a shot is fired. And another one. Pus bursts out of the clicker's head and he goes down. Tess is running towards us and presses us close to her. Joel is confused, she srikes his head gently and sheds a tear. Tess is Joel's girlfriend or at least was, they don't know quite for certain themselves. Almost the whole population of the US fell victim to a spore epidemic and also shattered the lifes of Joel and Tess. Naughty Dog needs just a few moments to make it clear to us why this massively enhanced "Uncharted 3" engine is so important for this game. Not because of all the details, the plaster crumbling from ceilings or each individual stitch on Joel's backpack we're clearly able to make out in the sunlight, but because it allows for real emotions. When the camera is moving close to Tess, we can see her teary-eyed face. And when the camera turns around, we can see the wrinkles, scratches and many scars in Joel's face, which tell stories of countless battles and characterize him more and more during the game. But it also shows him casting a loving glance for a short moment before turning away. "We want the players to feel with the characters. They should mean something to them", says Creative Director Neil Druckmann repeatedly on that day.

"We could be dead by tomorrow"

"The Last of Us" is a fascinating game, because it's doing so many things differently than virtually any other game in this console generation. Of course there was also one or another emotional moment between Nathan and Elena in "Uncharted 3", like the one at the airport, when she looked sad and worried after him. But ultimately the action driven gameplay was always in the way and Drake was designed as the fearless explorer and Indiana Jones sunnyboy.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Captions (from left to right, top to bottom):
- (Picture showing Joel and Ellie hiding from a guy holding a shotgun): Final flourish for the PS3: Notice the sweat running down Joel's arm, his beard hair or the natural lighting. This screenshot was taken directly from the game.
- (Picture shows Joel aiming at Clickers and Runners): Don't confuse the many stages of the disease. The ones in the back are Runner, they're pretty fast but with less attack power. The mutated Clicker in the front kill us with only one hit or bite.
- (Picture showing Joel in close combat with one Clicker): Kiss me: The fungal virus already grows out of this infected lady, showing huge furuncles.

________________________________________________________________________________________

*Page 3*

Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley, friends and colleagues, took two years to write the story for "The Last of Us". They spent whole nights at the Curry House, a restaurant in Los Angeles, and talked about the characters. The character development is a central topic, everything revolves around the relationship between Joel, Tess and Ellie. Joel was a smuggler and debt collector, he has done nasty things and has huge amount blood on his hands. In fact, for money alone he should have brought Ellie to a safe place, but he has doubts about his mission and sees this as his last chance to finally become a good man. First he abandons her, then his concerns bother him, he returns, picks her up and fosters her. However, Joel is not the one-dimensional character like Nathan Drake: He often doubts himself, talks to himself and it's exciting to see how Ellie is giving him the strength to carry on. She often takes hold of his hand, encourages him and behaves suave, although she's only 14 years old. Joel wants to bring her to San Francisco, one of the last not contaminated towns. Tess is a tough woman who learned to find her way in this brutal world. She has no problem killing a man or infected but she presses for a discussion with Joel. "Human emotions don't cease because the world ends", comments Troy Barker, who plays Joel. "Tess wants to know where she stands, but Joel is afraid of that. He's done many things he never ever wanted to tell her about. He feels obliged to his role as a protector and tries to fulfill it, but he's definitely not a hero type like Nathan Drake." And indeed it's more about the characters than action. If Joel wants to postpone a discussion until tomorrow, Tess replies with: "We could be dead by tomorrow. Don't you understand, Joel? You could have died right now." It's captivating because every moment in "The Last of Us" is substantial.

Dripping blood

This urge for authenticity is also noticeable in gameplay. In the first couple of minutes of our preview we sneaked through a strongly fortified quarantine zone located 100km away from Boston. We're spotted by a guarding soldier and he opens fire. Joel is struck by a bullet so his shirt becomes soaked in blood and he tries covering his wound with his left hand. We have to open the inventory as fast as we can and apply a bandage - Joel constantly loses energy doing so and the whole screen turns red. The game does not pause during that, it continues.

- (Picture shows Tess talking to Joel): Emotions, emotions, emotions: Jealousy, relationship problems and lack of trust are only three of the issues Tess and Joel are confronted with as a couple.
- (Picture shows Joel searching inside his backpack with the inventory on the right side): Inside the inventory screen you can combine several items. This way a racket can become even deadlier by being duct-taped with blades of scissors.

Additional info box:

Gentle notes of an Oscar winner

Sony hired the Oscar winning Gustavo Santaolalla ("Babel", "Brokeback Mountain") for composing the background music. During our hands-on preview it was fascinating to experience how the composer can build atmosphere by very few means. Towns have almost become extinct, so there is hardly any background noise. No traffic noise, no barking dogs or cooing pidgeons. When stepping on rotten wood it creaks and crackles quite loudly, thus revealing us. If we fire a shotgun it resonates in such an echo alarming even bandits that linger far away in the arse of the world. The panting of the infected is also echoing in large corridors and is only accompanied by light fiddling violins from time to time. Really great!

*Page 4*

Joel is fishing a muslin bandage out of his backpack. If we run out of them, we have to improvise: toilet paper? Used with a rubber band and several layers it can be tightened around a wound.
"We experimented with many different systems", remembers Straley. "In reality you'd have to cut free the area around the bullet and retrieve it with a pincette. But that would become a bloody mess on the one hand and take far too long on the other. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice authenticity for the sake of gameplay." At least for Naughty Dog's standards, since we just couldn't come up with a game that needs you to select alcohol from the inventory, clean up the wound with hold of the R1 button and hold it again for applying a bandage - except for perhaps "Metal Gear Solid 3". The animations depend on where you were hit, by the way. If Joel's leg is hit by a bullet, he will lean on a pillar or wall and patches himself up. Wounds are also interfere with our movement. In one situation Joel's knee is hit by a pipe swinging bandit, so he has to walk with a wimp for a couple of minutes. If his right, dominant arm is hit, he has less strength holding heavy weapons like shotguns, thus resulting in bad aiming. We just switch to a revolver then because it's lighter. It's essential for surviving to always carry around enough dressing material and we can fit three from each type in our backpack. Thus after escaping from the quarantine zone, we open and look into every cupboard, every drawer inside a Boston apartment. We search for useful material in every room.

Seek and you shall craft

"The Last of Us" isn't an open world game and plays in predefined areas, but those are pretty huge. One part in Boston lets us explore two row houses with eight rooms each. "We reward players taking risks", says Game Director Bruce. We come around a police station in Boston and save a cop in the last second. He tells us about the top floor having a gun locker packed with shotguns and lots of ammunition. "But there are those things, those infected ones. I certainly wouldn't go up there", he babbles and chickens out. If we go up there, we get our hands on some badly needed weapons but also risk our lifes.

- (Picture shows Joel fighting off Runner in close combat): See Joel Run: Runner always attack in a pack, whereas the Clicker locate us with their sonar system. Running away in this game is nothing to be ashamed of.
- (Picture shows Joel getting bit by a Clicker): Too slow: If a Clicker catches you, it's an instant death. There's no medicine or bandage against his bites.

Additional info box:

Apocalypse the esthetic way

"We've seen it all: Apocalyptic shooters, countless zombie games and that typical doom and gloom scenario taking away the world's colorfulness and tinting it with a grey-brown mud", explains Game Director Bruce Straley. "That's not Naughty Dog, not our style." The team was inspired by a fotographic genre called "Ruin Porn". Photographers use special imaging techniques to provide decayed ruins an esthetical look. "Nature in this context is usually considered in a negative way, as a destructive force. But in a way nature is just getting everything back what it formerly possessed, thus we're turning the tables here. All those trees, plants and flowers growing wild are literally outshining Boston. I mean it's already a beautiful town, but nature is giving the whole scenery a very special touch."

*Page 5*

When climbing stairs there's creaking, so the Clicker will be hearing and searching for us. Ergo we should be prepared. We're searching for weapons inside the office: a ballpen? It has a pike making it a potential weapon. A lot better is a shelf inside the cafeteria, holding a steak knife and scissors. We open our inventory and separate the scissors into two parts. Oh, and there's some handy duct-tape lying around! We roll it around each scissor's edge and get a provisory handle. We can use the blades to ram them into the infecteds' necks or simply as a throwing weapon. Searching even further, we come accross a medicine cabinet. Inside there are some bandages and disinfectants. The latter consists mostly of alcohol - if we cram a bandage into the bottle and ignite it, we'll get a Molotov cocktail. Up to three of them fit into our backpack. So if we'd come across a bar, we should stuck up our supplies. But for now a disinfectant bottle is all we have as a fire accelerant.

Clicker, Runner, Listen Mode

As already explained we shouldn't take the creaking route upstairs and search for another way up. We climb up a bookshelf and crouch slowly and sneaky to the wall adjoined to the office, where the infected are wandering around. Keeping Joel steady without moving around, a so called "Listen Mode" gets activated. All enemies getting orange highlighted, even if they're behind a wall. That takes away a chunk of authenticity, but greatly helps us planning our next attack. The introduction showed us how to handle one single Clicker, now there's two of them. Doesn't sound that much more, but those beasts are frigging dangerous, because you can't counter their attacks and one of their bites kills. Pretty clear what to do: both have to be taken out by one Molotov cocktail. We grab a stone and throw it into a corner. Both Clicker are stumbling and trudging towards that corner. Now to quickly aim at the correct angle, throwing and "Boom!" the first infected bursts into flames. But the second one escapes and now clearly knows where we are - we run. We're panicking and sprint while holding down the analog stick and hear it panting behind us. We're jumping over obstacles like overthrown shelves or chairs lying on the floor by pressing the "X" button. Eventually we're faster than the Clicker, get a shotgun out of the gun locker and blow away its festering head.

- (Picture shows Joel talking to Ellie): Joel gets sicker and sicker during the game. His skin degenerates, becomes wrinkly and he ages rapidly. Can Ellie and Tess save him?

Additional info box:

In Profile: "24" star Annie Warsching alias Renee Walker plays Tess

Annie Wersching played a tough role as the FBI agent Renee Walker in the US series "24". How does she characterize Tess? "Tess is definitely not 'Everybody's Darling', but a cool analyzing female smuggler who places her own needs above others."
"It's my first videogame and it's a fascinating work. I can hardly believe how lifelike our faces appear on screen, the whole facial expressions and gestures. It's a movie but you yourself can decide how it moves on."
"The script is pretty tight and sometimes very dark in some places. Neil pushes his characters to the limits. There are many shocking moments in the game."

*Page 6*

Bill, the Old Fella

Our demo takes a one hour leap in time. Naughty Dog doesn't want to spoil what happened - we notice however that Tess is missing. She seems to carry a dark secret with her. In any event, she's been kidnapped by the US military and brought over to Pittsburgh. At least that's what Bill thinks, an old fellow and war veteran. Joel saved his life not only once and so he owes him. Joel and Ellie set off searching for her. Naughty Dog obviously wants to give those two most important characters in the game as much time as possible to spend together. To let them establish a real father-daughter relationship. We'll probably meet Tess again in Pitsburgh, which is 900 kilometers away from Boston, though. The whole US infrastructure is completely down, there are no airplanes, no trains. Joel needs a car and Bill is the one to build it. That was the plan. Before bandits stole all necessary parts, at least. Ok, those simple "One hand washes the other" tasks are apparently also part of "The Last of Us". But the job will become much harder than you would first think, because Bill is fishing out a map out his drawer and marks several command posts, traps and guards. We have to infiltrate the head quarter of a group of bandits named "The Hunter". Assistance will definitely be needed for that.

The Firefly Militia

The US President declared martial law before he died. In those 20 years of the virus epidemic the military lost long ago all control over the country and protects only a few quarantine zones. Meat, milk products and field crops are contaminated, thus food has to be produced in special facilities. But too few of them exist so food coupons are used to distribute resources in a fairly manner. The quarantine zones are hermetically sealed from the outside world and are controlled by a general with a heavy hand. If a citizen shows even the slightest symptoms of an infection, he gets executed. The US-Airforce continues to bomb cities thinking they can wipe out the virus. Special forces are shifting through the districts, hunting down infected and bandits, but also causing accidents by frequently killing civilians. They're fighting back and join various groups. The "Firefly" is one of those militias, training civilians for battle and its base is stationed inside the venerable Massachussets State House. We need an urgent talk with Firefly's Chief, but the guards won't let us through and even start shooting at us. So we have to find another way in.

Dive, Craft and Sneak

This time we can't kill anybody, after all the Firefly are supposed to be helping us attacking the base of the Hunter. Sneaking is necessary and it's fascinating to see how well team play works with Ellie's AI.

- (Picture shows Joel and Ellie horseback riding): The journey of Ellie and Joel leads to various US landscapes - they also travel on horseback.
- (Picture shows artwork of an infected): Infected in the first stage don't have a burst head yet, but still are no beauty at all.

Additional info box:

A Child Becoming a Killer? Ellie's Development in Detail

For her 14 years Ellie has a quick tongue and is not afraid of any conflict with others. Joel still needs to teach her many thinks during the course of the game. He shows her how to attack with a knife, shooting a handgun, shotgun and even a sniper rifle later on. Ellie's AI is programmed for self-defense or assisting the player depending on the game's difficulty setting. If we're threatened in a certain area and Ellie is far away, she also uses her bow once in a while to shoot arrows into an enemy's chest.

*Page 7*

The government building is half-submerged in water, thus we're diving inward through a shaft and decide later on how to continue. We either move a desk as Joel, so that we can climb on it to reach a fallen over bookshelf and get into the upper floor. Or we're helping Ellie to climb on our shoulders to reach and climb up a wooden beam, so that she automatically can search for a way to help us up. Sometimes she finds a ladder that she can drop down to Joel. Sometimes she finds a hidden path or a rotten wooden wall in this colonial-styled half-timber house. But how can we take down the wall? We search around and find a cast-iron fireplace poker lying around between musty walls and tattered furniture. Splendid. The way into the mansion is clear.

Messiah Naughty Dog?

"Heavy Rain" creator and industry's visionary David Cage demanded from the gaming industry to "finally grow up" just a couple of days ago. And indeed, Naughty Dog says goodbye with "The Last of Us" from the light-fooded "Indiana Jones" charme, making up the "Uncharted" series and works more towards a genre similar to the Coen Brothers movies. The relationship between Ellie and Joel reminds of "True Grit", where a strong-willed girl is breathing new life into an ageing bounty hunter. She's his last chance to redeem himself and do a good deed just once in his life. It's an art to tell such kind of a story, without lapsing into Hollywood stereotypes. It will be pretty interesting to see what role Tess plays in the overall story. Naughty Dog hired Annie Wersching for her role. A really powerful woman playing the FBI agent Renee Walker, who managed to awaken strong emotions even when it comes to such an emotionally cold character like Jack "24" Bauer. Not only the story and characters are fascinating, but also the gameplay. Nathan Drake could pressure down his enemies in a hall of bullets, but this game does make every bullet count. It's a tough fight for survival and you can bet that we died a lot in Los Angeles. A whole lot...

What we like:
- great facial expressions, gestures and outstanding performance
- fights against the infected are pretty challenging
- bombed cities, untouched nature - the mix is just right
- we have to patch ourselves up, constantly need bandages and are forced to permanently search our surroundings
- sets a new reference in graphics for PS3

What has to be fixed:
- the action becomes pretty brutal (sometimes too much) and is gruesomely staged - Naughty Dog should tone down a bit of that

Conclusion:
It's a movie, a horror thriller, where you get to decide. Strong main protagonists ensure that the game does not getting mired in "Bang Boom Bang", that is so typical for the industry today.

- (Picture shows Joel and Ellie hiding beneath a window): Brutality as a tactical factor: A lot of blood splatters on walls and sills. If we don't pay attention, enemies will spot us much faster.
- (Picture shows Bill talking to Joel): "You come into my house, your brat nearly breaks my right arm. And now you want a car from me?" The first encounter with the mechanic Bill just doesn't go as planned.

softie

Now to the whole interview:

*Page 8*

Interview with Neil Druckmann

"Weapons don't belong into public hands"

M! meets with Creative Director Neil Druckmann in Los Angeles, gets an explanation why patching up is an important gameplay element, debates about pros and cons of a coop mode and asks about the responsibility in times of school massacres, where the victims are mostly children.

M!Games: In "The Last of Us" we have to patch ourselves up. We disinfect and dress wounds. Last time we did that was in "Metal Gear Solid 3". Was that your inspiration?

I remember pretty clearly how Bruce and I played a certain shooter. Bruce said: Isn't it totally bananas that I have to constantly ram shots of adrenaline into my leg and after that can fight with full force? Epinephrine is indeed used by Special Forces, increases blood pressure and makes larger reserves of energy available to the body. Thus you don't notice the pain anymore, but bleeding isn't stopped. You have to actually retrieve the bullet, disinfect and dress the wound for that. And you do exactly that in "The Last of Us". But still, we certainly had "MGS" somewhere in our mind (laughs).

M!Games: The injury system is also pretty interesting. If we play poorly, you want to penalize us, right?

That's not really the point. We do want the players to get to know all gameplay systems and to avoid groups of opponents. We reward tacticians, but when you still try to fight them, it should feel authentic. It's time that we make real progress in the gaming industry. I mean how does it makes sense that your character with almost no energy fights as effectively as with full energy? You should feel what your character goes through, after all. If your leg is limping or your arm is shaking, because Joel's dominant arm was hit, you will put more thought about your attacks next time. We wanted the players to identify with Joel, to make them blend in, that was the overall goal.

M!Games: The enemies are fighting for their lifes far more intense than in "Uncharted" for example. Do you plan keeping this system for your next projects?

"The Last of Us" is a very special game, which provides and needs very special features. I think "Uncharted" isn't suitable for showing brutal close combat, where skulls are shattered by bricks. We thought with our actors about what would normal people do when being attacked. The bandits are mostly civilians, who joined a certain group to survive. They're no soldiers, no trained killers. When you blast away the head of one of their colleagues, then they escape and will wait or search for combat support to eventually start another attack. They're scared. They're no less scared than Joel and Ellie.

M!Games: Tess saved our life twice in the preview. Was that all scripted?

There are scenes in the game that are scripted. Our engine permanently scans the whole area and our AI knows where the player is and where to place the NPCs to help him. Ellie supports the player with ammunition because she always seeks for more rounds. Your followers know what you do. If you get into cover waiting for the right moment, they won't mess up your stealth attack and also get into cover. If you don't have any ammunition left or need to reload, maybe Ellie will throw a brick at the enemy's head and neutralize him for you. But this happens sporadically, there's no guarantee that Ellie or Tess will save your skin!
This whole magic works because of the area scanning. We want to keep the immersion constantly high, thus no weapons or ammunition HUDs are shown until you participate in a battle. You can throw an enemy or ram him into an obstacle - the engine chooses the animation for that, based on their positions. That's why battles don't get boring. One might grab a bandit and slam his head on the edge of a table. Another one might kiss the back of a chair.

M!Games: Wouldn't Tess be a perfect fit for a coop character? We're aware of the fact that you really want to focus on the relationship between Joel and Ellie, but Tess just begs the question.

Sony gave us the luxury to experiment with a lot of things. Originally there was even a command interface making it possible to order Ellie around. But we didn't want to make a tactical shooter. Ellie has her own, often stubborn mind. It wouldn't fit her as a character been ordered around. Tess plays a major role, but above all stands the relationship between Joel and Ellie. They both have to spend a lot of time together without the involvement of a third person. I also think that coop wouldn't work in the game because it fairly limits the possibilities of a game. We would get the classic scenario: "Hey, there is a door! Climb up there and open it up!" That would be far too easy, Ellie helps the player once in a while, but the solution always has to be found by the player himself.

M!Games: Recently the US again suffered from a school massacre. A major New Yorker newspaper criticized your game because of Ellie's role. You became a father yourself latetly, what do you think about the whole matter?

There are two sides to that. As a father of a two months old daughter this debate is really bugging me. This violence has to stop, weapons don't belong in the public.
On the other side I see the art. We can't always hide from those matters. If a movie like "True Grit" has a girl in, it handling a revolver, why can't we do the same? There are many games and movies focusing on violence alone - because that's what sells. But in our case it's an important part of the story, the whole world and as we talked about it, the gameplay. Reducing that brutality, would take away a lot of fright of that particular version of the US. If we'd make Ellie older, the whole story wouldn't work. We see "The Last of Us" as an artistic project - and art should sometimes be defended against opposition.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Holy shit, thank you so much softie!

M!Games: In "The Last of Us" we have to patch ourselves up. We disinfect and dress wounds. Last time we did that was in "Metal Gear Solid 3". Was that your inspiration?

I remember pretty clearly how Bruce and I played a certain shooter. Bruce said: Isn't it totally bananas that I have to constantly ram shots of adrenaline into my leg and after that can fight with full force? Epinephrine is indeed used by Special Forces, increases blood pressure and makes larger reserves of energy available to the body. Thus you don't notice the pain anymore, but bleeding isn't stopped. You have to actually retrieve the bullet, disinfect and dress the wound for that. And you do exactly that in "The Last of Us". But still, we certainly had "MGS" somewhere in our mind (laughs).

M!Games: The injury system is also pretty interesting. If we play poorly, you want to penalize us, right?

That's not really the point. We do want the players to get to know all gameplay systems and to avoid groups of opponents. We reward tacticians, but when you still try to fight them, it should feel authentic. It's time that we make real progress in the gaming industry. I mean how does it makes sense that your character with almost no energy fights as effectively as with full energy? You should feel what your character goes through, after all. If your leg is limping or your arm is shaking, because Joel's dominant arm was hit, you will put more thought about your attacks next time. We wanted the players to identify with Joel, to make them blend in, that was the overall goal.

So it's true now? the hell is going on.

softie

Holy shit, thank you so much softie!

So it's true now? the hell is going on.

You're welcome. ;-)

The article explains exactly what you do:

...clean up the wound with hold of the R1 button and hold it again for applying a bandage...

In one situation Joel's knee is hit by a pipe swinging bandit, so he has to walk with a wimp for a couple of minutes. If his right, dominant arm is hit, he has less strength holding heavy weapons like shotguns, thus resulting in bad aiming. We just switch to a revolver then because it's lighter.

Or what do mean by "is it true?"

duckroll

It seems that someone here has translated the entire article. We've also been verifying the info, and it does seem to check out as far as the magazine goes. The question now is, who made things up? Did the magazine lie about covering the game in detail? Is Secretarial Dog's source inaccurate? Is Naughty Dog covering stuff up? (lol?)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Or what do mean by "is it true?"

The whole thing about this info being true or not. Druckmann said it's fake, but maybe he didn't mean all of that new info.

Ah well, we will see. Btw some of that new stuff sounds fantastic!

beast786

It seems that someone here has translated the entire article. We've also been verifying the info, and it does seem to check out as far as the magazine goes. The question now is, who made things up? Did the magazine lie about covering the game in detail? Is Secretarial Dog's source inaccurate? Is Naughty Dog covering stuff up? (lol?)

Isn't the magazine pretty respectable ?

JJD

Wow...even the fanboy-ish title from the thread was in the magazine???

I think it would be fair to give the OP member status again considering the last developments.

I hope most of the features mentioned in the magazine are in the final game, they seemed really interesting IMO.

Drencrom

Where does that tweet say that it's all fake? In Secretarial Dog's original post with the info, which he posted in another TLoU thread, he had two clearly seperated sections of points. One section with points from his "source" (not credible most likely) and another section of points with info from the mag. In the OP in this thread it all got mixed together.

What are you talking about? Druckmann called out the the info as fake in the tweet, which presumably means that it's all bunk.

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/311873472877969408

Edit: Just saw the translation of the article. Is it fake or what? Looks very extensive

bunbun777

I had to stop reading all the magazine details, too much info! But I will say this, I am more excited now then before. The part about rewarding the player for taking risks better be true, because that is the heart of a great game for me. Sounds like the parallel Resident Evil gameplay that I have imagined.

JJD

I've heard that if you're juniored, there's no chance of being re-membered.

Well, you wouldn't get membership status again by traditional means (X amount of posts, X amount of time being a junior), but I'm sure the mods (or system administrator) could easily just flip a switch to turn he into a member again.

dummydecoy

I played it mostly at release, without the patch. Too bad they caved in to the pressure of addressing it.

No my fellow 1% trophy holder, GG did not fix the input lag. I don't think they can. The patch only tweaked the dead zone but the input lag still exists. Can't even play other FPSes back then because I was sort of "adapted" to the lag and it messed up my aim in other games. Did not have that problem with KZ3. Glad to see the input lag in LOU is fake.

I fell for it, though. Should have trusted my instincts when I read that tissue-and-rubberband wound wrapping part. LAWL!
Unless that part is one of the "truths" then fuck it, it sounds stupid.

sunnz

What has to be fixed:
- the action becomes pretty brutal (sometimes too much) and is gruesomely staged - Naughty Dog should tone down a bit of that

If this is what their main "problem" is, then I consider this a success. I Don't want this game toned down cause some people cant take gore.

The reason it is so brutal is to make you not want to go out and kill everyone/ everything you see. It makes you think about whether you should kill this guy or not.
It is brutal in RL, so should be in a game ( especially for the type of game this is)

Not sure why you'd get into any trouble at all. You've said you consider your source trustworthy but separated the info you got from it from the information that's available to everyone.

Yeah, they thought I made up the infos from the magazine, because of the call out from Mr. Druckmann. Thanks again for verifying, snap.

I saw your PM, thanks for that. If not resolved by the time I get home tonight, I will take a look at it.

You're welcome.

Neil Druckmann linked the article from thesixthaxis in which they only covered 2 informations from my source. The one with the heavy input lag where Druckmann said is BS, in which I anyway described it as a subjective opinion and not as a fact and the one with blind-fire in which he said nothing particular about.

So by saying "this info is fake" he degraded the integrity of the magazine. A magazine which exists since over 20 years and never distributed any false informations. It's popular in Germany and also is distributed and published by a major press. This is definitely not a no-name magazine.

I'm not saying that ND is covering stuff up, but lying about covering the game in detail from the magazine is very unlikely to me.

Großes Dankeschön an softie. Erstklassige Übersetzung.

softie

Guys, the info provided by M!Games is legit. Nowhere is input lag mentioned and sadly that's the one misleading information that frequently was mixed in the discussion. Neil Druckmann said "fake" exactly because of that problem, not because M!Games released fake information.

If mods allow it in this special case, I (or someone else) can post the original article.

But you can be sure that M!Games does not release fake articles, especially for of such high profile games.

EDIT: And btw. just to clarify, the whole translation posted
here---->http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50170341&postcount=583
and here---->http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50170467&postcount=584
solely has the M!Games as its source and was solely done by me, no other sources involved.

Secretarial Dog posted two different sources, one was the legit M!Games and the other was an unknown one. The latter was mixed up with the former and now we have this whole mess. ;-)

@Secretarial Dog: Danke dir.^^

duckroll

No, we're not going to post scans or anything. I don't think having a thread with a full translation transcript of a magazine is a great idea either, so what I'm going to suggest is, I will close this thread, and we can create another thread (without all the hyperbolic crap) with bullet points from the article (maybe from SD's original post about it), leaving out the information from his source because that is so far, still unconfirmed. Then that can be discussed, and if anyone wants, they can ask Druckman if he still thinks those details are fake.

How does that sound?

sangreal

Guys, the info provided by M!Games is legit. Nowhere is input lag mentioned and sadly that's the one misleading information that frequently was mixed in the discussion. Neil Druckmann said "fake" exactly because of that problem, not because M!Games released fake information.

If mods allow it in this special case, I (or someone else) can post the original article.

But you can be sure that M!Games does not release fake articles, especially for of such high profile games.

EDIT: And btw. just to clarify, the whole translation posted
here---->http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50170341&postcount=583
and here---->http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50170467&postcount=584
solely has the M!Games as its source and was solely done by me, no other sources involved.

Secretarial Dog posted two different sources, one was the legit M!Games and the other was an unknown one. The latter was mixed up with the former and now we have this whole mess. ;-)

@Secretarial Dog: Danke dir.^^

Why would he be sorry that input lag issues are fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom