• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series Seven |OT| The Question You've Been Running From All Your Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
So, Curse of the Black Spot wasn't terrible. Not good, but certainly far from terrible.

The "curse" really works around the setting, and the reveal of the siren actually being an automated doctor for the ship's sick bay, and was actually saving people was actually brilliant.

The alien ship being embedded within the pirate ship was a cool idea, but the one hint we get from the Doctor fell pretty flat and wasn't brought up again ("Do you feel like someone's watching you?").

The Doctor having the though of the siren saving Rory from drowning and being able to negotiate with her seems like inspired thinking on his part. He was focused on the idea that she's been hunting down all the injured crew members for almost the entire episode.

Miscellaneous thought:
- Lily Cole looked damn good.
- That pirate getup really is a good look for Amy.

42's alright, yeah. The best thing about it is how the Doctor is genuinely scared to death when he's possessed, and desperately tries to tell Martha about how regeneration works but can't even finish his sentence. Very rare to see the character like that.

maharg

idspispopd
42's alright, yeah. The best thing about it is how the Doctor is genuinely scared to death when he's possessed, and desperately tries to tell Martha about how regeneration works but can't even finish his sentence. Very rare to see the character like that.

It occurs to me that I'm getting a bit tired of regeneration-as-plot-device. It's been basically everpresent since the show came back and it's starting to feel really cheap. "Oh look, regeneration energy in the season preview... well then."

Quick

Banned
It occurs to me that I'm getting a bit tired of regeneration-as-plot-device. It's been basically everpresent since the show came back and it's starting to feel really cheap. "Oh look, regeneration energy in the season preview... well then."

I think Series 6 is what overdid it. Regenerating Doctor in Utah, regenerating Melody in New York, and regenerating Mels in Berlin. Then there's Melody/River using regeneration energy to knock people out in Berlin afterwards.

So, Curse of the Black Spot wasn't terrible. Not good, but certainly far from terrible.

The "curse" really works around the setting, and the reveal of the siren actually being an automated doctor for the ship's sick bay, and was actually saving people was actually brilliant.

The alien ship being embedded within the pirate ship was a cool idea, but the one hint we get from the Doctor fell pretty flat and wasn't brought up again ("Do you feel like someone's watching you?").

The Doctor having the though of the siren saving Rory from drowning and being able to negotiate with her seems like inspired thinking on his part. He was focused on the idea that she's been hunting down all the injured crew members for almost the entire episode.

Miscellaneous thought:

There is one Pirate that just completely disappears. He was the one with Rory and Amy locked in the room.

Well, it's fine in 42, I think - if you were him, and you thought it was about to happen, you'd explain it to the companion, wouldn't you?

I do agree generally, though. I don't feel so bad when something actually happens (Mels to River, or the Master) but all the cop-out ones lately have done my head in.

maharg

idspispopd
I think Series 6 is what overdid it. Regenerating Doctor in Utah, regenerating Melody in New York, and regenerating Mels in Berlin. Then there's Melody/River using regeneration energy to knock people out in Berlin afterwards.

While, yeah, it did come to a head more recently, I think it all began with every shenanigan they built around the hand. Some ridiculous stuff got built up around that.

Quick

Banned
While, yeah, it did come to a head more recently, I think it all began with every shenanigan they built around the hand. Some ridiculous stuff got built up around that.

Well, if anything, the hand was thrown to the back burner until Utopia, where it was used as a beacon to tell Jack the Doctor was nearby. Then it was put away again until The Stolen Earth to make a human Doctor.

I thought the use of the hand was handled pretty well, and it was actually intriguing at the time what RTD would do with the hand.

Tizoc

Wait in FF6, your stats don't go up when you level up right? They only ever increase after certain story elements or if u have a Magicite equipped.
Never did like that, but FF6 does have a great story.

Anyways, just watched the ep. and it was fun and great, looking forward to the next ep. and more Who goodness. Clara is hot and is becoming one of my fav. companions~
Any significance to the password ending with the numbers 124 for the wi fi BTW?

mclem

Any significance to the password ending with the numbers 124 for the wi fi BTW?

It ended 123, and she mistyped it. I think there might well be some significance to her being unable to write 23 (see also the book with the crossed-out ages)

Zeppu

It ended 123, and she mistyped it. I think there might well be some significance to her being unable to write 23 (see also the book with the crossed-out ages)

Hmmmm... You make an interesting point. Her birthday is on the 23rd of November in Snowmen....

Quick

Banned

Didn't even notice that on the book. Though, she also skipped over 16, and went from 15 to 17.

Hmmmm... You make an interesting point. Her birthday is on the 23rd of November in Snowmen....

DAMN.

Quick

Banned
Another thing. Victorian Clara died when she was 26. Modern Clara is 24.

24+26=....

i78dHFT2er5cL.gif

Link

The Autumn Wind
I don't have any real problem with Moffat, as I enjoy his continuity-heavy storytelling style. Though I do think he can try too hard to be "clever" quite a bit.

I don't have any real problem with Moffat, as I enjoy his continuity-heavy storytelling style. Though I do think he can try too hard to be "clever" quite a bit.

Here I am, after making a snarky comment about how every thread becomes RTD vs. Moffat, prolonging the talk just a bit, but...

That right there plays into why I think the conversation is ultimately pointless - right now. You're trying to compare a complete body of work on a show (RTD) to one that's in progress (Moffat) and, in my opinion, you simply can't because we don't know the ultimate payoff.

All the "dangling" plot points are dangling for now, perhaps they get a call back, perhaps not. We simply don't know how things might all pull together, even from plot points that call back into the RTD era.

Zeppu

Come on guys.

WE. ARE. NEOGAF.

Minutes after Phantom Pain's trailer GAF figured it was MGS5. You're telling me we're wasting time bitching about Moffat vs RTD when we can figure out who/what Clara is.

believe

Quick

Banned
Come on guys.

WE. ARE. NEOGAF.

Minutes after Phantom Pain's trailer GAF figured it was MGS5. You're telling me we're wasting time bitching about Moffat vs RTD when we can figure out who/what Clara is.

believe

Right then, Clara Oswald, time to find out who you are.

Petrichor

Miscellaneous thought:

I've rewatched curse recently and I agree with you - it's unfortunate it aired directly after day of the moon because the comparison didn't work in its favour, but in the context of the series as a whole it's a perfectly reasonable episode with a couple of interesting ideas. It's certainly not as bad as night terrors.

The difference is that Kojima actually plans ahead.

Kojima a better storyteller than Moffat (or even RTD?) - April fools was two days ago.

Symphonic

I have no preference between Moffat and RTD. They both have strengths and they both have weaknesses. I like Moffat's time travel stuff better and I like RTD's alien stuff better (alright besides the farting shit)

Zeppu

So. Clara appeared five times in three (and a bit) episodes.

Asylum of the Daleks
- Oswin Oswald
- Smart, genius level intellect
- Soufflés
- Right before dying something clicked within her, saying 'Run you clever boy, and remember'.
- 'Remember me'

The Snowmen
- Clara Oswin Oswald
- Governess/Barmaid
- No mention of family
- Soufflés
- 'Pond'
- Pretty smart, obviously not computer literate
- Right before dying something clicked within her, saying 'Run you clever boy, and remember'.
- Born 23/11
- Died 24/12
- 'Remember me for we shall meet again'
- The Great Intelligence whom the Doctor somehow doesn't have full recollection of
- Not afraid of ghosts

Bells of Saint John
- Clara Oswald
- 'Governess'
- No mention of family
- 'Run you clever boy and remember' seems to be brought on to her from her environment rather than made up by her
- Unable to write 23
- Pretty Smart (even as a child), eventually super IT literate
- Makes up Oswin
- The Great Intelligence, but the Doctor never really finds that out
- The Leaf
- The woman at the shop

Interesting anagrams:
COO
RYCBAR
RMFWSMA

What did I miss?

Symphonic

So. Clara appeared five times in three (and a bit) episodes.

Asylum of the Daleks
- Oswin Oswald
- Smart, genius level intellect
- Soufflés
- 'Remember me'

The Snowmen
- Governess
- Soufflés
- 'Pond'
- Pretty smart, obviously not computer literate
- Born 23/11
- Died 24/12
- 'Remember be for we shall meet again'
- The Great Intelligence whom the Doctor somehow doesn't have full recollection of
- Not afraid of ghosts

Bells of Saint John
- Clara Oswald
- 'Governess'
- 'Run you clever boy and remember' seems to be brought on to her from her environment rather than made up by her
- Unable to write 23
- Pretty Smart (even as a child), eventually super IT literate
- Makes up Oswin
- The Great Intelligence, but the Doctor never really finds that out
- The Leaf
- The woman at the shop

She didn't write 16, either.

Did they ever say if she still had her computer smarts at the end of the episode? Would place Asylum of the Daleks as a continuation of that.

Clara's a metaphor for the series as a whole.

She was born on 23rd November.
She's been through 3 incarnations (Classic, TV Movie, New)
She lived for 26 years, and then died.
She came back in the modern day.
She can't write 16- the amount of years between the end of the classic series and the start of the new.
She can't write 23- the amount of years between the end of the classic series and her first appearance.

So, in essence, when the question is asked... Clara is Doctor Who.

No way are these all coincidences.

Symphonic

She lived from '63 to '89.
She can't write 16- the amount of years between the end of the classic series and the start of the new.
She can't write 23- the amount of years between the end of the classic series and her first appearance.

My head is full of meta

Holy crap.

Zeppu

Oh wow.

Are you interested in a Show Runner position, by any chance?

I really don't think she'll turn out to be the Doctor.

Neither do I. I said Doctor Who, not the Doctor.

I mean, as we've already established, the two Claras (not including Oswin) that we know the ages of have lived for 50 years.

And we learned in the Cultbox preview for next week's episode that
Clara references Jenna Louise Coleman.

I think Moffat's playing a very, very meta game here...

Holy shit

jerry113

Banned

Are you kidding me.

Zeppu

Meta, actually, could actually be explained fairly consistently in the Doctor Who universe. We're just another universe and the events in their universe it just being transmitted through a low telepathic field to the memories and thoughts of someone in our universe.

I'd buy it, I'd like it, and I don't think it'd even break/ruin Doctor Who for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom